S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old August 17th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #1
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Default Skating Trails in Williamsburg (Virginia US)

I am going on a “family vacation” to Williamsburg, VA next week. Does any one know of any skatable trails there? I would skate early morning before the “little darling” wake up.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #2
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
I am going on a “family vacation” to Williamsburg, VA next week. Does any one know of any skatable trails there? I would skate early morning before the “little darling” wake up.
I used to do some skating out that way a few years back when I lived in Norfolk. I don't know of any trails per se, but a there's a fun road route that I used to skate for hill training, and for variety. Unfortunately, I forget all the road names. Here's my best try at directions:

Take the exit for York River State Park, #231 I think, which goes to Croaker and Norge. Turn towards the gas station, and follow the signs to York River State Park. Turn left into the park entrance, and follow the road a couple of miles to the parking area (you'll have to pay the ranger a small fee).

From there, you can skate up the park road a couple of miles, and take a right onto the road you turned left from as you drove there. Skating to the intersection with the main road is a total of about 6-7 miles one way, if I remember correctly. Very little traffic, and people are courteous. Decent pavement, too, and nice countryside.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can take a right at the main road, which narrows into a smaller 2-lane road after a couple hundred yards. You'll pass a church on the left, and some houses on the right, as the road narrows. This road goes a mile or so before reaching a fork. This is where the fun hills are, but be forewarned that neither direction is entirely safe!

To the left of the fork is a reasonably well-paved road that weaves through a series of downhills through a residential area. There are a couple of side streets worth exploring along the way. The total length of this road is about 1.5-2 miles. There's one section where there's an increasingly steep hill toward a sharp left curve. Without a brake, it's pretty much not skateable. After that, the road gently rolls out through a flat section. So long as there's no home construction project happening, it's generally without much traffic.

To the right of the fork is a roller-coaster of a 1-mile descent, broken into 3 or 4 sections, to the boat launch area. The pavement is rough and rutted, and trucks with boat trailers speed along at dangerous speeds from time to time. There's sometimes reptilian roadkill, too. The final drop is fairly steep, and the pavement gets even worse before emptying into a gravel parking lot.

Yes, I really did do hill repeats on these suckers! For a relaxing morning skate that is less likely to result in injury, you might want to stick to the park access road and possibly the road from there back to the main road. Doing laps on the park access road itself wouldn't be a bad workout - it's a couple of miles with a couple of rolling hills.

Hope this helps!
----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote