S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old May 17th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #1
janneman

Thumbs up 2008 RAPS24KiKa - Netherlands

The name tells a story....

this 24 hour race has the dutch skate manufacturer RAPS as main sponsor and initiator. Since last year, there is a charity goal attached to it; the KiKa fund (Child cancer fund). Hence the starting fee is a little high: 500 euro per team minimum.

The race is in estafette-form; teams of maximum 6 athletes ride as many rounds as they can in 24 hours.

This year the race is held on a long outdoor track of 5 kilometers: Flevonice. In winter this is the worlds longest artificial ice-track - it has only opened last december.

Friday september 5 / saturday september 6 this event will take place.

yours truly plans to gather a team again, and tickle his boss to sponsor it

The athmosphere last years was good. the race is not too crowded (about 30 to 40 teams) and though there is some fierce competition, some teams are also really relaxed and just for the fun and charity. All in real good sportivity.
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #2
janneman

Default team members

hey ye all....

so i've organised the sponsor - and will be riding a team - ah. oh, team = multiple people right?

mailed my collegues twice now - i work for a company of 120 people. none wants to join!

recently i have done an international tour (skatefresh) that was great - the mixed flavour of nationalities.

So now i'm cautiously inviting you to join this team. I need max 6 people - that's not much. I have no clue what to do if 20 people say "i want that"... lets see!

what is it? you come over to the netherlands and go go skate - bring some camping stuff and that's it. my boss sponsors the race itself for this team, you pay the trip.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #3
janneman

Talking report

The wind blows little white froth on the waves of the Veluwe-lake and just over the dike it gets free playground in the polder again. A thick black cloud gathers over the early morning. Then the rain patters down over the fields, the tents, the tarmac and the riders that wrestle along. Sometimes with two or three, mostly alone fighting themselves and the elements.

over 12 hours before, dutch ice-skate hero Rintje Ritsma started this manic race, wich is not a race. For only some a place in the teamranking is important, for most only finisching counts. 24 hours in turns they ride the 2,7 km track of "flevonice". Then they have some time to recover on a chair with a blanket to keep warm or in a tent. Undo the material from water and sand. Have a brief nap just to go on again.

As the hours progress, the faces get more tired and get grim. The skates sound neglected, the wheels squeek and crunch more and more.

Once on saturday after noon the sky clears and the sun shows up now and then, the end gets in sight, the athmosphere starts to be feasty. No bad accidents happened, all teams get to the finisch line. To a representative of the childcancerfund KiKa a cheque is handed out of 18.750 euro - with not all donations counted yet.

This race only has winners!

- the RAPS24KiKa was done on september 5 and 6 in the netherlands. 31 teams participated to raise funds by skating 24 hours continuously, each team having maximum of 6 members. Most teams rode between 200 and 400 km during that time. - some pictures can be found on here