S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2018, 10:39 PM   #1
goldleader
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 26
Default Technical question about wheel urethanes

My question is, what type of urethane or rubber is used to make indoor and outdoor inline speed skating wheels? Are they the same? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Names of the products would be great!
goldleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 11:00 PM   #2
goldleader
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 26
Default Technical urethane question

What type of urethanes are used to make inline speed skating wheels, indoor and outdoor? Any info on this, with names of products, would be greatly appreciated
goldleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 09:53 PM   #3
kufman
Senior Member
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,130
Default

This information is hard to find and rather proprietary. Companies don't generaly share this information especially for indoor wheels.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 12:04 PM   #4
spdkls
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 194
Default

Sometimes you can find this info at the US patent office website.

https://www.uspto.gov/

But yes, good luck getting any info from wheel makers.

We can't even get real pics of new wheels.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 12:31 PM   #5
BladeWolf
Fastest furry on wheels.
 
BladeWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldleader View Post
My question is, what type of urethane or rubber is used to make indoor and outdoor inline speed skating wheels? Are they the same? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Names of the products would be great!
I would assume it has to do with being softer on the inside for indoor, or being more dense for outdoor. My indoor inline wheels are 91 a but have super grip, my outdoor are 85a and they are stiffer.
BladeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 05:15 PM   #6
kufman
Senior Member
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeWolf View Post
I would assume it has to do with being softer on the inside for indoor, or being more dense for outdoor. My indoor inline wheels are 91 a but have super grip, my outdoor are 85a and they are stiffer.
Indoor and outdoor wheels are completely different compounds for most companies. They grip by different means. Outdoor wheels work more by abrasion where indoor wheels are more of a surface tension crated by the way the urethane sticks to the floor coating.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 03:36 PM   #7
goldleader
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 26
Default

I can't get any info from any wheel company, understandable. The only company that even would pour for me was MPC, but I had to have over 1000 cores, I don't have that many. I've got the cores, prototype molds for the banded section and the outer wheel prototype mold completed. I just need some idea of what is used . My goal is to make a set of custom wheels for myself with the flex band specified for my weight to maximize rebound. Just think, custom wheel flex based off your weight, power transfer to the floor and preference.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
goldleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 12:08 AM   #8
NDSconcept
Senior Member
 
NDSconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldleader View Post
I can't get any info from any wheel company, understandable. The only company that even would pour for me was MPC, but I had to have over 1000 cores, I don't have that many. I've got the cores, prototype molds for the banded section and the outer wheel prototype mold completed. I just need some idea of what is used . My goal is to make a set of custom wheels for myself with the flex band specified for my weight to maximize rebound. Just think, custom wheel flex based off your weight, power transfer to the floor and preference.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

We sent a message.
please confirm.
__________________
please understand, English even poor.
NDSconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 09:50 PM   #9
Stevbrdly
Tarry Hall
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldleader View Post
I can't get any info from any wheel company, understandable. The only company that even would pour for me was MPC, but I had to have over 1000 cores, I don't have that many. I've got the cores, prototype molds for the banded section and the outer wheel prototype mold completed. I just need some idea of what is used . My goal is to make a set of custom wheels for myself with the flex band specified for my weight to maximize rebound. Just think, custom wheel flex based off your weight, power transfer to the floor and preference.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

The reason they want to pour 1000 wheels is because getting your urethane mix right with the amount for 8 wheels would be very difficult(90-95% likely), where as the volume of 1000 wheels would be quite easy (99th %+)


to illustrate, imagine trying to mix a cocktail with the only measuring equipment being your cupped hand. mixing a single drink to exact measurements (2:1, 3:1 etc) would be impossible. mixing 1000 drinks into a large container and dividing them out would be much more accurate. its not the best example, but that's all i got.
__________________
Tarry Hall Roller Rink Pro Shop Manager
Please visit our Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/TarryHallProShop
Stevbrdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 02:50 PM   #10
goldleader
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 26
Default

Thank you for all this information. does anybody know what they are mixing the urethane with? I know its a blend of something, but I'm not sure what the compounds are.
goldleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 06:19 PM   #11
bjvircks
Major Trouble
 
bjvircks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 1,678
Default

Rumor has it the most popular additives are eye of newt and powdered bat wing (extra speed). Heard that MPC uses dragon ashes in their Storm Surge line of wheels. Explains the color...
__________________
Quando omni flunkus, moritati
bjvircks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:05 AM   #12
NDSconcept
Senior Member
 
NDSconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldleader View Post
Thank you for all this information. does anybody know what they are mixing the urethane with? I know its a blend of something, but I'm not sure what the compounds are.

Your question is:
It is a question like "I know Coca - Cola a blend of something, but I'm not sure what the compounds are".
Coca-Cola company will disclose the secret to you?

There's no such thing as a free lunch!
Who offers you recipe without any compensation?
The urethane blending method is the know-how of each company.
Also, blending is important, but work standards are also important.
Do you know about urethane phase change? Crystal of the tissue.

The urethane formulation is not all of the wheel production.
You will not try to get it for free.
It is important to learn and research, and to create very unique knowledge.
Are you a student? learn!
__________________
please understand, English even poor.
NDSconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 03:35 PM   #13
goldleader
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 26
Default

I detect a note of frustration in that last comment. I'm sorry if it bothers you for me to ask question online about wheel compounds. No worries though, I have learned and have a entire chemistry lab at my disposal with highly qualified instructors to help me at the university I work at. So, no worries, I'll have the information very soon.

Oh yeah, thank you for the offer you made to me in your PM but I think, at this time, I am going to have to decline.
goldleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 12:52 AM   #14
NDSconcept
Senior Member
 
NDSconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldleader View Post
I detect a note of frustration in that last comment. I'm sorry if it bothers you for me to ask question online about wheel compounds. No worries though, I have learned and have a entire chemistry lab at my disposal with highly qualified instructors to help me at the university I work at. So, no worries, I'll have the information very soon.

Oh yeah, thank you for the offer you made to me in your PM but I think, at this time, I am going to have to decline.
I think you are a good student.
Please be sure to succeed.
__________________
please understand, English even poor.
NDSconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.