S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 29th, 2018, 10:39 PM   #1
goldleader

Default Technical question about wheel urethanes

My question is, what type of urethane or rubber is used to make indoor and outdoor inline speed skating wheels? Are they the same? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Names of the products would be great!
goldleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 11:00 PM   #2
goldleader

Default Technical urethane question

What type of urethanes are used to make inline speed skating wheels, indoor and outdoor? Any info on this, with names of products, would be greatly appreciated
Old February 1st, 2018, 09:53 PM   #3
kufman

This information is hard to find and rather proprietary. Companies don't generaly share this information especially for indoor wheels.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 12:04 PM   #4
spdkls

Sometimes you can find this info at the US patent office website.

https://www.uspto.gov/

But yes, good luck getting any info from wheel makers.

We can't even get real pics of new wheels.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 12:31 PM   #5
BladeWolf
Fastest furry on wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldleader View Post
My question is, what type of urethane or rubber is used to make indoor and outdoor inline speed skating wheels? Are they the same? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Names of the products would be great!
I would assume it has to do with being softer on the inside for indoor, or being more dense for outdoor. My indoor inline wheels are 91 a but have super grip, my outdoor are 85a and they are stiffer.
BladeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 05:15 PM   #6
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeWolf View Post
I would assume it has to do with being softer on the inside for indoor, or being more dense for outdoor. My indoor inline wheels are 91 a but have super grip, my outdoor are 85a and they are stiffer.
Indoor and outdoor wheels are completely different compounds for most companies. They grip by different means. Outdoor wheels work more by abrasion where indoor wheels are more of a surface tension crated by the way the urethane sticks to the floor coating.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 03:36 PM   #7
goldleader

I can't get any info from any wheel company, understandable. The only company that even would pour for me was MPC, but I had to have over 1000 cores, I don't have that many. I've got the cores, prototype molds for the banded section and the outer wheel prototype mold completed. I just need some idea of what is used . My goal is to make a set of custom wheels for myself with the flex band specified for my weight to maximize rebound. Just think, custom wheel flex based off your weight, power transfer to the floor and preference.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Old February 9th, 2018, 12:08 AM   #8
NDSconcept

Quote:
I can't get any info from any wheel company, understandable. The only company that even would pour for me was MPC, but I had to have over 1000 cores, I don't have that many. I've got the cores, prototype molds for the banded section and the outer wheel prototype mold completed. I just need some idea of what is used . My goal is to make a set of custom wheels for myself with the flex band specified for my weight to maximize rebound. Just think, custom wheel flex based off your weight, power transfer to the floor and preference.

We sent a message.
please confirm.
Old February 16th, 2018, 09:50 PM   #9
Stevbrdly
Tarry Hall

Quote:

The reason they want to pour 1000 wheels is because getting your urethane mix right with the amount for 8 wheels would be very difficult(90-95% likely), where as the volume of 1000 wheels would be quite easy (99th %+)

to illustrate, imagine trying to mix a cocktail with the only measuring equipment being your cupped hand. mixing a single drink to exact measurements (2:1, 3:1 etc) would be impossible. mixing 1000 drinks into a large container and dividing them out would be much more accurate. its not the best example, but that's all i got.
Stevbrdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 02:50 PM   #10
goldleader

Thank you for all this information. does anybody know what they are mixing the urethane with? I know its a blend of something, but I'm not sure what the compounds are.
Old February 20th, 2018, 06:19 PM   #11
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Rumor has it the most popular additives are eye of newt and powdered bat wing (extra speed). Heard that MPC uses dragon ashes in their Storm Surge line of wheels. Explains the color...
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:05 AM   #12
NDSconcept

Quote:
Thank you for all this information. does anybody know what they are mixing the urethane with? I know its a blend of something, but I'm not sure what the compounds are.

Your question is:
It is a question like "I know Coca - Cola a blend of something, but I'm not sure what the compounds are".
Coca-Cola company will disclose the secret to you?

There's no such thing as a free lunch!
Who offers you recipe without any compensation?
The urethane blending method is the know-how of each company.
Also, blending is important, but work standards are also important.
Do you know about urethane phase change? Crystal of the tissue.

The urethane formulation is not all of the wheel production.
You will not try to get it for free.
It is important to learn and research, and to create very unique knowledge.
Are you a student? learn!
Old February 22nd, 2018, 03:35 PM   #13
goldleader

I detect a note of frustration in that last comment. I'm sorry if it bothers you for me to ask question online about wheel compounds. No worries though, I have learned and have a entire chemistry lab at my disposal with highly qualified instructors to help me at the university I work at. So, no worries, I'll have the information very soon.

Oh yeah, thank you for the offer you made to me in your PM but I think, at this time, I am going to have to decline.
Old February 24th, 2018, 12:52 AM   #14
NDSconcept

Quote:
I detect a note of frustration in that last comment. I'm sorry if it bothers you for me to ask question online about wheel compounds. No worries though, I have learned and have a entire chemistry lab at my disposal with highly qualified instructors to help me at the university I work at. So, no worries, I'll have the information very soon.

Oh yeah, thank you for the offer you made to me in your PM but I think, at this time, I am going to have to decline.
I think you are a good student.
Please be sure to succeed.