S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old July 23rd, 2017, 01:13 AM   #1
AZSHOT

Default Got my Royals from Doc!

I'm stoked (is that term still used?)! Just got my Snyder Royal plates mounted from Doc, on this old pair of Riedell 295s. He said the nails in the heal caused him no end of trouble, but he got them on. They feel great around the house. I couldn't stand waiting till adult night at my rink so went this (Sat) afternoon....nope, about 30,000 kids there. They look great and I can't wait to try them. Get Doc to mount your plates (but pull the nails out of the heals first, if you can!)

AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up Have fun.

UH, Let's not pull nails prior to sending me boots to work on. It may be a pain in the butt for me, but could be calamitous for the inexperienced. Especially on old, tall heel speed boots.

That said, feel free to experiment.
Old July 24th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #3
AZSHOT

What about shooting the nails out, with say, a .22 rifle?
Old July 25th, 2017, 02:41 AM   #4
AZSHOT

Operation Tryout was a success. 1st lap, felt a little wobbly. 2nd lap, realized I was holding fast, and not cross stepping. 3rd lap, tentatively began cross stepping, and found my feet adjusting to the loose trucks. By the 5th lap, I felt about 80% of normal. But thought doing a few speed laps would be a risk. By an hour later, they felt great, just like any skates I'm used to. Did some speed work, and lots of sharp cuts. Nice plates! No worries about the rear wheels being forward, after I quit worrying about them. Couldn't tell....

Now to the boots. Riedell 295s, they were causing a slight hotspot (pre blister) on the inside right under ankle. That was surprising, none of the other boots I wear (265s, 695, Oberhammer 61) do that. It must be that the counter is different, or that the more maneuverable plates were causing wear. Actually, it could be a lot of things. I went to slightly stretchy laces, where I always use non-stretch. Also, the insole is an old white cheap one I've been shifting between skates. Perhaps it's time for a Spenco insole. My toes were also cramping. When I took the insole out, and skated with just the cardboard insole, the cramps went away. But the boots are not as comfortable as my other 3, for some reason.

Last edited by AZSHOT; July 25th, 2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old August 1st, 2017, 06:37 PM   #5
AZSHOT

Got some better insoles put in last night. What a difference. They are very comfortable now, little if any toe cramps.
Old August 1st, 2017, 11:38 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Excellent news.

I have found sk8rs ready to ditch sk8s over their inability to sort the laces. Keep tuning, I think you will be happy as a pig in mud.
Old August 4th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #7
AZSHOT

Doc, I gotta say, you were totally right about these Royals! Last night I went to the adult night, which was my 3rd time on them. I brought my old Oberhamer pair with the long XK-4 DA plates with yellow cushions too. I figured I would switch to them for the speed event at the end of the session.

So there I was with the Royals, cutting, darting, keeping up with this one kid half my age that likes to do severe turns and try to lose me. For the first time, he had no way of outperforming me!

Yet, I didn't realize how good these Royals were, because like a frog put into a pan of cool water on a stove, they creep up on you. But then....I switched back to my old pair, which had been put aside for 3 sessions as I got used to these new skates. WAM!

My GOSH it was like night and day! The old pair I've been using for a year, that I thought were perfect, maneuverable, great....had become like driving a semi truck! I could not BELIEVE the difference, they were DOGS compared to the Snyder Royals I had just taken off. I told my wife and the people at the rink, I'm a total convert to Royals, and Docs great mounting job. These new skates are exactly what I needed. Are they as fast on the push speed skating? I don't know or care. They TURN!
Old August 4th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up I'll drop you a hint about racing on Royals.

Years ago, I built a young man who raced inlines w/ my daughter a pair of sessions sk8s. (I'm thinking 15 years ago??) Fast forward to July 22 last month. He anchored the Classic 2 man quad race and won it rolling away. His sk8s?? Skunk 395s and OG Snyder Royals.. He said he caught a lot of crap about his old Snyders before the gun..

Guess the "experts" did not understand..
Old August 4th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #9
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
My GOSH it was like night and day! The old pair I've been using for a year, that I thought were perfect, maneuverable, great....had become like driving a semi truck! I could not BELIEVE the difference, they were DOGS compared to the Snyder Royals I had just taken off. I told my wife and the people at the rink, I'm a total convert to Royals, and Docs great mounting job. These new skates are exactly what I needed. Are they as fast on the push speed skating? I don't know or care. They TURN!
That story never gets old, does it? I'd like to have a dime for every time I've heard it.
Old August 5th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #10
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Talking Let's get greedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
That story never gets old, does it? I'd like to have a dime for every time I've heard it.
I'd rather have a buck.
Old August 7th, 2017, 04:50 PM   #11
AZSHOT

My wife found a set of Fafnirs for $5 last weekend. Never had any. In the spirit of trying things that are often spoken about in revered terms, I put them in. Trying to learn not to be such a skeptic.

Old August 8th, 2017, 01:33 AM   #12
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Great find

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
My wife found a set of Fafnirs for $5 last weekend. Never had any. In the spirit of trying things that are often spoken about in revered terms, I put them in. Trying to learn not to be such a skeptic.

They appear to be in great shape. Roll them like you stoled them! A small bit of thin oil and you are off to the races. Besides, you really did steal them. In good condition, those sell for $50 or more a set. Treat them right(clean and lube often) and they will be an inheritance for your children.

The only advice I would give is to invest in some old=timey dust covers(usually very cheap). I'd bet that "Doc" has some available.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 02:37 AM   #13
AZSHOT

Thanks, we did get a good deal. I'm ready to try them, they're cleaned and lubed.
Old August 13th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #14
AZSHOT

I tried the new bearings and plates in speed for the first time last week. I don't know which helped more, but I felt faster and gripped better than ever before. Didn't even get as winded, pushing hard for lap after lap.

As Doc said in a facebook post, Royals can do quite well for speed.
Old August 15th, 2017, 06:32 AM   #15
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Happy Sk8r..

I'm really pleased the sk8s are working out for ya. How are the old 295s holding up??
Old August 21st, 2017, 12:48 PM   #16
AZSHOT

So far so good. They made it 35 years or so before I got them, they'll probably make it another 6 or 8 years on my feet.
Old August 29th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #17
Rossman76

...I need to get me some royals !!
Rossman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #18
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossman76 View Post
...I need to get me some royals !!
Yeah you do.