S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2015, 02:20 PM   #101
bjvircks
Major Trouble
 
bjvircks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,811
Default

this year's finishers numbers:

Total 289

marathon 194

Pro/Adv..86
---men.........69
---women.....17

Rec/Fit..108
---men.........69
---women.....39

ALMTH..57
---men.........28
---women.....29

Mad Fun..38
---men.........21
---Women.....17
__________________
Quando omni flunkus, moritati
bjvircks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 02:34 PM   #102
bjvircks
Major Trouble
 
bjvircks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,811
Default

I'm re-thinking the class I skate in for this race. While I don't presume to think I'm close to being pro/elite... I'm feeling like I should no longer be in Rec/Fit for this race. My reasoning is that there is a group of about 13 to 15 men that have times that are consistently a notch above the rest of the rec/fit field and these times more closely align with the mid to low end of pro/adv.

While I do enjoy skating with the lead pack of the rec/fit wave... I feel like our group is crowding out the more legitimately recreational skaters from getting deserved attention at the awards presentations.
__________________
Quando omni flunkus, moritati
bjvircks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 04:49 PM   #103
bnumerick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
this year's finishers numbers:

Total 289

marathon 194

Pro/Adv..86
---men.........69
---women.....17

Rec/Fit..108
---men.........69
---women.....39

ALMTH..57
---men.........28
---women.....29

Mad Fun..38
---men.........21
---Women.....17
Looks like a fairly significant amount of people opted not to race because of the rain. When I had talked to them on Wednesday there were about 350 people registered.
bnumerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 04:56 PM   #104
bnumerick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
I was on some WRW Truth wheels and felt fine - I don't recall feeling slickness even once. Didn't see any falls either, but I did skate 2/3 of the race by myself, so....
In the lead group we had a pretty interesting mix. Steffen was on 4 SS. Kelin on 2 SS and 2 Street fights. I was on 2 Mayhems and 2 X-firm Booms. Ty was on 4 XX-firm Booms. I was going to skate in all X-firm Booms but opted to throw the Mayhems on because I'd used them a lot in the rain, hadn't used the Booms yet and wouldn't have had time to change if I was slipping at all.
bnumerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:00 PM   #105
bnumerick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
I've skated some races with some rain before but I think this one was a new level of rain for me. My poor skates looked like I took them through a swamp. Bearings are having a nice long soak in mineral spirits to loosen them up a bit. But, despite the lame weather, and not being in very good shape anymore it was still fun - apparently skating is awesome.
I didn't get a good look at my skates until we got home last night. Was pretty surprised how much dirt was inside our boots. The road didn't look that dirty! lol
bnumerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:24 PM   #106
SkateMO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumerick View Post
I didn't get a good look at my skates until we got home last night. Was pretty surprised how much dirt was inside our boots. The road didn't look that dirty! lol
Do you remember during the warmup when I said, "watch out for the dirt / mud on the road?" Haha. There were a couple sections where the road was brown, so I'm not surprised. But, at the same time, that is one of the cleanest courses imaginable, so I do see your point (about being surprised).
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:45 PM   #107
bnumerick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateMO View Post
Do you remember during the warmup when I said, "watch out for the dirt / mud on the road?" Haha. There were a couple sections where the road was brown, so I'm not surprised. But, at the same time, that is one of the cleanest courses imaginable, so I do see your point (about being surprised).
Haha yes, yes I do. I guess I just need to get some contact lenses.
bnumerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 06:18 PM   #108
ese002
Senior Member
 
ese002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
I was on some WRW Truth wheels and felt fine - I don't recall feeling slickness even once. Didn't see any falls either, but I did skate 2/3 of the race by myself, so....
Interesting. Which hardness did you use?

I used Truth 87A in the rain at A2A last year. I felt traction was very limited, forcing me to use short inefficient strides. It is hard to imagine that the fast 90 degrees turns of Apostile would be anything but a disaster with that level of grip. Then again, the road surface is most certainly different in the tundra than in near-tropical Georgia so it may respond differently in the rain.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:36 PM   #109
Alyosha
Senior Member
 
Alyosha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
Interesting. Which hardness did you use?

I used Truth 87A in the rain at A2A last year. I felt traction was very limited, forcing me to use short inefficient strides. It is hard to imagine that the fast 90 degrees turns of Apostile would be anything but a disaster with that level of grip. Then again, the road surface is most certainly different in the tundra than in near-tropical Georgia so it may respond differently in the rain.
I was using the 87a natural urethane and red hub. I think that the volume of water on the road actually helped keep the slickness to a minimum. It's my understanding that "just a bit" of moisture will cause the oils in asphalt to "bloom" to the surface making it extremely slippery but, once enough rain has fallen the oils get washed away. At that point, at least to my feet, the surface is not that slippery. There are as many different road surfaces as there are roads, though and I'm sure it's a little bit different everywhere.
__________________
Dale Larson
Eagan, MN
Alyosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 06:14 AM   #110
bjvircks
Major Trouble
 
bjvircks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,811
Default

this year's numbers, updated to include DNS & DNF
........................with DNS, DNF
Total 289................357

marathon 194..........241

Pro/Adv..86...............101
---men.........69...........78
---women.....17...........23

Rec/Fit..108...............140
---men.........69...........88
---women.....39...........52

ALMTH..57..................80
---men.........28...........42
---women.....29...........38

Mad Fun..38................36
---men.........21............9 (9 does not make sense?)
---Women.....17...........27
__________________
Quando omni flunkus, moritati
bjvircks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.