S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old June 22nd, 2015, 02:20 PM   #101
bjvircks
Major Trouble

this year's finishers numbers:

Total 289

marathon 194

Pro/Adv..86
---men.........69
---women.....17

Rec/Fit..108
---men.........69
---women.....39

ALMTH..57
---men.........28
---women.....29

Mad Fun..38
---men.........21
---Women.....17
Old June 22nd, 2015, 02:34 PM   #102
bjvircks
Major Trouble

I'm re-thinking the class I skate in for this race. While I don't presume to think I'm close to being pro/elite... I'm feeling like I should no longer be in Rec/Fit for this race. My reasoning is that there is a group of about 13 to 15 men that have times that are consistently a notch above the rest of the rec/fit field and these times more closely align with the mid to low end of pro/adv.

While I do enjoy skating with the lead pack of the rec/fit wave... I feel like our group is crowding out the more legitimately recreational skaters from getting deserved attention at the awards presentations.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 04:49 PM   #103
bnumerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
this year's finishers numbers:

Total 289

marathon 194

Pro/Adv..86
---men.........69
---women.....17

Rec/Fit..108
---men.........69
---women.....39

ALMTH..57
---men.........28
---women.....29

Mad Fun..38
---men.........21
---Women.....17
Looks like a fairly significant amount of people opted not to race because of the rain. When I had talked to them on Wednesday there were about 350 people registered.
bnumerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 04:56 PM   #104
bnumerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
I was on some WRW Truth wheels and felt fine - I don't recall feeling slickness even once. Didn't see any falls either, but I did skate 2/3 of the race by myself, so....
In the lead group we had a pretty interesting mix. Steffen was on 4 SS. Kelin on 2 SS and 2 Street fights. I was on 2 Mayhems and 2 X-firm Booms. Ty was on 4 XX-firm Booms. I was going to skate in all X-firm Booms but opted to throw the Mayhems on because I'd used them a lot in the rain, hadn't used the Booms yet and wouldn't have had time to change if I was slipping at all.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:00 PM   #105
bnumerick

Quote:
I've skated some races with some rain before but I think this one was a new level of rain for me. My poor skates looked like I took them through a swamp. Bearings are having a nice long soak in mineral spirits to loosen them up a bit. But, despite the lame weather, and not being in very good shape anymore it was still fun - apparently skating is awesome.
I didn't get a good look at my skates until we got home last night. Was pretty surprised how much dirt was inside our boots. The road didn't look that dirty! lol
Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:24 PM   #106
SkateMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumerick View Post
I didn't get a good look at my skates until we got home last night. Was pretty surprised how much dirt was inside our boots. The road didn't look that dirty! lol
Do you remember during the warmup when I said, "watch out for the dirt / mud on the road?" Haha. There were a couple sections where the road was brown, so I'm not surprised. But, at the same time, that is one of the cleanest courses imaginable, so I do see your point (about being surprised).
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:45 PM   #107
bnumerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateMO View Post
Do you remember during the warmup when I said, "watch out for the dirt / mud on the road?" Haha. There were a couple sections where the road was brown, so I'm not surprised. But, at the same time, that is one of the cleanest courses imaginable, so I do see your point (about being surprised).
Haha yes, yes I do. I guess I just need to get some contact lenses.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 06:18 PM   #108
ese002

Quote:
I was on some WRW Truth wheels and felt fine - I don't recall feeling slickness even once. Didn't see any falls either, but I did skate 2/3 of the race by myself, so....
Interesting. Which hardness did you use?

I used Truth 87A in the rain at A2A last year. I felt traction was very limited, forcing me to use short inefficient strides. It is hard to imagine that the fast 90 degrees turns of Apostile would be anything but a disaster with that level of grip. Then again, the road surface is most certainly different in the tundra than in near-tropical Georgia so it may respond differently in the rain.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:36 PM   #109
Alyosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
Interesting. Which hardness did you use?

I used Truth 87A in the rain at A2A last year. I felt traction was very limited, forcing me to use short inefficient strides. It is hard to imagine that the fast 90 degrees turns of Apostile would be anything but a disaster with that level of grip. Then again, the road surface is most certainly different in the tundra than in near-tropical Georgia so it may respond differently in the rain.
I was using the 87a natural urethane and red hub. I think that the volume of water on the road actually helped keep the slickness to a minimum. It's my understanding that "just a bit" of moisture will cause the oils in asphalt to "bloom" to the surface making it extremely slippery but, once enough rain has fallen the oils get washed away. At that point, at least to my feet, the surface is not that slippery. There are as many different road surfaces as there are roads, though and I'm sure it's a little bit different everywhere.
Old June 24th, 2015, 06:14 AM   #110
bjvircks
Major Trouble

this year's numbers, updated to include DNS & DNF
........................with DNS, DNF
Total 289................357

marathon 194..........241

Pro/Adv..86...............101
---men.........69...........78
---women.....17...........23

Rec/Fit..108...............140
---men.........69...........88
---women.....39...........52

ALMTH..57..................80
---men.........28...........42
---women.....29...........38

Mad Fun..38................36
---men.........21............9 (9 does not make sense?)
---Women.....17...........27