S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 8th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #1
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Default 2008 Montreal 24hr Race - Results, Reports, Photo's, & War stories.

I guess we should start a thread. I'm pulling out my hair waiting for some news.
wait, I don't have hair.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #2
sk8crazy

Me too, it's driving me nuts. Since there were no Toronto teams there I have no one to contact for info. I'm really curious how Lawrence did. I also know another guy that skated solo & last I heard he was 4th but that was last night. Does anyone have any results??
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #3
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Nothing on the official website...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Finally awake! I had intended to go out for dinner and celebration last night but I slept through the night!!

Team Skatelog placed 8th out of 30-something. 7th place was less than a lap ahead. Most of the quicker teams used a strategy of sending their fastest skaters out for more laps, but we just had everyone on our team skate equally. I think quite a few lived above their expectations Everyone on our team did an amazing job and should be very proud of themselves.

Skater's Quest teams were a little disappointed for being moved up in category, but that just shows what great teams they have. Congratulations guys and girls!!!

I wish I had placements for you all but being a captain puts me all over the place so I wasn't watching them too closely. What I know is my friend Luke skated 103, and Bryan Mckinney skated 102 (I talked to them after the race). Unfortunately I didn't see Lawrence afterwards, but I think he was feeling pretty good. I got well wishes every time I saw him When it's not too early to call someone on the phone, I'll see if I can get some placements.

We got lots of pictures and video from the event, so you'll shortly be overloaded with multimedia.
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #5
sk8crazy

Thanks Jessica & congratulations on your team's finish. Looking forward to seeing the pics & videos. Also look forward to getting some placement info.
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #6
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

That sounds cool.... and congrats....
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #7
sk8crazy

Got a quick report from a friend on the Fossils about the teams that had some of our Toronto friends on them:

Flying Fossils ... they came 6th while

The Lap Dogs (from Ottawa) were 1st -- congrats Ed & Scott

Les Clowns were 2nd -- congrats Morgan

Now if I only knew how Lawrence did!!
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #8
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Lawrence was 4th - somewhere around 118 laps right behind Johnny (who I never saw btw).

We are getting ready to leave Montreal, and I don't wanna go!! It is so beautiful here. It's cool outside and a little overcast, but there's so much excitement in the air downtown. There are interesting people everywhere. If I didn't have to pack my stuff I'd be out just walking around some more.
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #9
AustinSkater

Lawrence was his usual skating machine, stuck to his plan and I'm pretty sure he broke last years course record. The sad thing is, he came in 4th place.

It was brutal this year in the Solo category, with a strong pace line (at least 2 skaters had "helpers" registered to keep their pace up, but they were willing to pull anyone along for the ride) that set a killer pace for the first few hours (probably longer than a few, but I was off the pace one the first rain hit).

Bryan (no, not that one, the other one)
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #10
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
We are getting ready to leave Montreal, and I don't wanna go!! It is so beautiful here. It's cool outside and a little overcast, but there's so much excitement in the air downtown. There are interesting people everywhere. If I didn't have to pack my stuff I'd be out just walking around some more.
Then you''ll have to come back 3rd Saturday in October for the Defi. You should see the island in the Fall. Nothing like it!
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #11
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Thanks for the update!

How did you do yourself - as in laps/placement/happinesslevel/pain-in-toes-level

/Birgit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkater View Post
Lawrence was his usual skating machine, stuck to his plan and I'm pretty sure he broke last years course record. The sad thing is, he came in 4th place.

It was brutal this year in the Solo category, with a strong pace line (at least 2 skaters had "helpers" registered to keep their pace up, but they were willing to pull anyone along for the ride) that set a killer pace for the first few hours (probably longer than a few, but I was off the pace one the first rain hit).

Bryan (no, not that one, the other one)
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #12
WonderGirl

I know I should have taken written notes at the end for the data but I was cold, tired, and wolves were after me. We'll live.

The bits I can remember based on posted data when I last looked which was right at end of the race:

The solo M winner's name I think was Lou. He had at least 132 laps.
The person Sk8crazy was saying last she heard from me was 4th was prob in 3rd most all the time and may have gotten 3rd over all but when I checked the posting at that time there was a glitch and one other skater had been bumped up to first which was not correct so her guy was listed 4th at that time.

Lawrence came in for one wheel and clothing change I can remember so pretty much was out there the entire time. He kept on going and kudos many for getting in a daft there sometimes!! Next year pack skating and you'll knock in a lot more laps. Don't hold me to it but he may have placed in the 4th-6th place range. It was hard to tell in the end as many were very close.

Johnny Chen was out there nearly non-stop as well. Thank you Johnny for being talented enough not to get my luggage all wet. He knows what I'm talking about. (hint He put the bottle inside the shorts) He came in for wheel change too I think (as most folks did once the rain stopped for good) and then towards the end a 6 minute lay down and ponder the meaning of life sort of rest. In this event this year the pressure was on, coming in for 10 minute rest meant for many a drop in placement, for good.

McKenny hit his 103 lap mark which was to hit the 450k goal and when he did it, he did it, and came in. Which was super smart. Make your goal and stop while there is still a body left that can recover for the next adventure. He was driving and walking the next couple of days that would make my granny proud.

Shicoff bested his last year Montreal adventure. He was skating terrific from the start. He came in a few times to warm up and his fantastic helper Andrea had him covered in space blankes. The first time the shivers eneded he went back out there and skated many more laps.
It was really cold out there. I knew I would have been better if I had been skating too (for warmth) but even some skaters were taking a huge pounding. Imagine being on a team where you skate one lap, ex 11 min hard skate, come in and sit for an hour to get cold, then go pound another one out. Ouch.

I don't rememner the flower guys name but I hear he bested his previous years mark by a lot as well. Seemed like a real nice guy.

It would not be too brillant to compare this years number of laps vs last years as this year the course was on distance the entire event vs last year when during the daylight hours the course was longer. From info last year the long was 4.9k and short was 4.4k so that means this year all laps were 4.4k. With that said however, I will say that the top guys this year were simply amazing! Lawerence for example skated well last year and was 3rd. He bested that distance this year but no podium. Like a record time being broken but you don't even get a medal because 4 more incredible athletes all beat the mark, by more, ahead of you. Very rich talent this year.

Fossils were running 4th most the time but as said they, along with a few other teams, were bumped up to the elite catagory. Cale, Al, Ken, Bob, etc... that's what you old farts get for being so dang good!! They looked terrific and so proud of them. Hope they all get a wonderful recovery and rest to kick again in Northshore this weekend.

Speaking of, I've gotta go skate now and do laudry so I have something to wear in Duluth. At one point I was wearing almost everything I had to stay warm. Poor TX girl ifreezing n Canada. Haha. I know I'm not getting any pity. (Birgit ;p)
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #13
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderGirl View Post
Speaking of, I've gotta go skate now and do laudry so I have something to wear in Duluth. At one point I was wearing almost everything I had to stay warm. Poor TX girl ifreezing n Canada. Haha. I know I'm not getting any pity. (Birgit ;p)
All I have for you is no pity but two solutions to "your issue(s)..."

This one only cost $600 - so solution one is to buy a jacket that will keep you warm on the north pole aka Canada or get on a team and skate. I don't think a plane ticket to Montreal is more than $600 - soooo what's it gonna be

Old September 9th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #14
sk8crazy

Thanks for the report Wondergirl. I really, really appreciated the feedback on Saturday evening. I'm trying to get confirmation on the solos & Jonathon from friends in Montreal right now so I may have some info.

Sorry you couldn't stay warm in our balmy weather. Woke up this morning to temps at 48F which, I will admit is a little low for here around this time of year. But it has been that kind of year for us. Better make sure you bring lots of clothes to Duluth ... they're predicting overnight temps of 54F & high of 68F.
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #15
WonderGirl

Birgit,
OMG that thing is ugly as sin! It's not even a toss up of what I'd rather do. I use to own similar to that when I lived in MN and had to walk 10 miles in 5' of snow, uphill both ways, always a headwind and -50 before windchill factor. But guess how often I wore it in Houston? Goodwill got a lot of big boxes of warmth wear my first years down yonder.

Will load pics and video when I get around to it. I did get some while skating the track but what I thought were 2 fully charged digicam batts were drained before the race even started (I blame TSA as right now I'm bitter with my flights, but will meet a nice smiling agent again someday and it'll all be good again). I did take many pics with McKenney's camera so harass him (AustinSkater).

Northshore in the low 60's is my fav and 50's totally doable. (add rain and headwind and I'm thrilled). Last year they said only down to 41 (whoever they are) so they are bunch of cruel lying weenies. lol Last year was my own fault as when I was in 100 degee TX packing for the summer I pulled out my leg warmers, thought "Naaaaaaa" and put them back. My bad, sorry! I have everything warm packed this year, I swear. So if it's cold and wet this year it's not my fault. Blame Geezer. I can remember every year I've done it and where my breaking point for what to wear for what temps so best wishes to all. Apparently 28 degrees is not it yet.
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #16
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderGirl View Post

Northshore in the low 60's is my fav and 50's totally doable. (add rain and headwind and I'm thrilled).
50's is good for sure but with rain & headwind -- bite your tongue.
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #17
ComeUndone

Base on bits of information I piece together, the solo men podium is:

1. Philippe COUSSY (LOU solitaire), France
2. Patrick Normandeau (Infinity Rider), Canada
3. Johnny Chen (Texas Flyer), USA

P.S. guy with flower is Daniel Caron (Flower Kid) from Ottawa, Canada
ComeUndone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #18
sk8crazy

Thanks Candy! Was trying to get info but haven't heard back.

Christine
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #19
AustinSkater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
How did you do yourself - as in laps/placement/happinesslevel/pain-in-toes-level
As Renee posted, I set a goal and once I hit it I stopped. I actually had about an hour of time left when I stopped, and could have rolled a few more laps (especially with all the encouragement we got from the relay skaters), but decided that with as little skating as I've done this year, I was (and still am) very happy with my results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeUndone View Post
P.S. guy with flower is Daniel Caron (Flower Kid) from Ottawa, Canada
Yup, he is a great guy to skate with, I've managed to spend a few hours each year I've done this with him, and those hours tend to go by faster than most. How he can be so cheerful at 20+ hours I don't know, maybe the flower is a poppy?
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #20
sk8crazy

Just heard back and here's a link to all the results:

http://www.mylaps.com:80/results/sho...507&perclass=1

Christine