S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 15th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #81
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Cool!

Can you label the top pic with who's who?
== John ==
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt, 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #82
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

U got it
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #83
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Eugene's pix are now up in a separate folder in my gallery - he got some really great shots of our handoffs and the very charged solo skaters

Mat's pics are next - sorry this is a slow process.
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #84
Endurosk8er

Default My montreal report

Well, after reading all the posts here, I am compelled to submit my own account of Montreal. Firstly, I must congratulate my fellow skaters for a great performance at the event, especially my fellow soloists! It was a true pleasure to skate with those guys and gals. A2A has always been my favorite event but after my experience in Montreal, I may have to reconsider…

It’s difficult trying to remember every detail of this event so please forgive me if the event timeline is not completely accurate. This is by far the hardest event I’ve done to date. After hearing Jessica’s account of the event from last year, I knew I had to give this one a shot. Endurance has always been my strong point and I knew based on my A2A performance I would have a good chance of doing well at this event. Mark Sibert’s account from last year was also a great inspiration for me to sign up. I began training early in the year but in the months leading up to April, my focus was more on cycling for the annual “Bike Across Florida” ride. This is a 170mile ride across the state in one day. The ride was actually postponed the week before the event but a group of us that didn’t want our training to go to waste decided to ride anyway. This was my longest single day ride and I did better than expected completing 167miles in 9hrs,37mins with about another 40mins combined breaks. This was a good test for me and so with that ride behind me, I focused entirely on skating.

I had good intentions to peak my training with a couple of solid 150 mile skates but work and weather seriously intervened. The Florida heat and rain makes it difficult to skate long hours once you reach June down here. Even my night skating plans became questionable after a girl was murdered at one of my local trails! Suddenly, the thought of being alone on skates after dark became uncomfortable and intimidating. A big project with work also popped up around the 2nd week of July along with a string of tropical storms that brought my long distance outdoor skate plans down to a painful crawl. I resorted to indoor drills and some weight training to strengthen my joints. I arrived at Montreal with my longest skate during the last 2 months at around 60miles. I had to drop my 300+ mile goal and shoot for 250 or at most, 100laps. Even considering my early skate training, this would still be almost 4 times my longest skate.

With my nutritional plan in place, an extra pair of skates and 4 sets of wheels, I was as ready as could be. The weather was warmer than expected but with living in Florida, this would not be a problem for me! According to the official website, the course loop is 2.67miles but my GPS had it a little over that as I think the official chips do too. It was a fairly simple shaped course with a one mile straight-away on the east side and a winding course on the other side of the loop. It also included a slight incline coming out of the straight into the first bend. An incline that seemed insignificant at first but would prove to be a short but tough hill climb as the hours passed…

With a good nights sleep in the bank I was ready for this! I went over some last minute details with my mom, who had traveled from England to support me for this event. We arrived early and got a prime parking spot right behind the garages where the solo skaters would be set up. I had about 3˝ hrs to spare and so was able to relax and get prepared. It was good seeing some familiar faces such as John Altwater, Ken Huss, Bob Harwell (flying fossils), Jessica and others (Team Skatelog), Bryan O and others (Skaters Quest), Brian Shicoff (Solo). I met Lawrence (More cowbell) for the first time at dinner the night before and we talked about perhaps working together for some of this… There were about 9 solos in my section including the record holder for the Le Mans 24hr, Philippe Coussy from France along with 10th place finisher from the same race, Hubert Maniabal AKA Youb Solo. With an hour to go, we noticed some dark clouds on the horizon so it was time to assess the wheel situation. I had yellows for a dry course and MPC street fighters for the wet. I wasn’t sure which would be best so I used a mix. I had micros in my yellows but they were new and greased so I was hopeful that they would survive the rain when it came.

THE RACE

Heading to the start area, I stayed towards the back of the group with several of the other solos including Lawrence. His goal was to break 500K; over 310 miles. The countdown started, the cheers grew loud and we’re off! Probably the easiest pace-line I’ve ever fallen into at the start of a race! I had my heart-rate monitor on for the first half as my Garmin only has 13hrs of power before recharge. I estimate that we were running at around 16-17mph average, which was comfortable for the moment but not sustainable for my endeavor. My heartrate was higher than desired (high 150’s ), fairly typical for me but I figured skating with the pack was better than being out on my own. We had completed 8 or 9 laps I think when the lead pack of solo skaters passed us. We were a lap down now but at this point I wasn’t too concerned. Some of us hopped on the back and tried to keep pace. I think I was only there for a few laps when I needed to grab a new bottle. Mom missed me as I went through so I went another lap with the pack. Next time around, I grabbed a bottle but lost a little ground and wound up alone for a while. It’s difficult to remember every detail but generally, I grabbed a new bottle every 1hr30mins and stopped for a short 10min break after each 3hrs, at least for the first half. Then came the rain, which I understood from the start is almost a given up there. I think it was around 5pm, while coming into the straight-away from the far end that we saw the mist of heavy rain up ahead… this is it! It was light for a moment but quickly turned to a monsoon! It didn’t take long for my feet to start squelching in my boots. We were skating through puddles for hours following the showers. On my next scheduled break I took my boots off to use the restrooms. Mom cleaned up my boots as best she could and tried to soak up some of the dampness inside. My wheels were still spinning so all was well considering. I donned a dry pair of socks and reluctantly headed back out into the rain. This was probably one of the hardest things to do but after a few laps I settled back into the groove.

It was around 7pm I think when the rain finally stopped but with all the water on the ground, it still made skating difficult. Some areas of the track were very slippery, even with the best wheels. At some point during this round, a pack of solos came by so I jumped in. It seemed fast at first but I soon settled in. I was about 2nd or 3rd from the back when I noticed the guy in front of me was struggling to keep pace so I kept a close eye on him. We had just taken the curved rise out of the main straight-away and were getting back up to speed on the level. This level area was about 200yds before winding down and to the right then left during a short but quick descent. It was right around the 2nd bend that the guy in front of me lost his footing and hit the ground sliding out of the bend right in front of me. I swerved out beyond the cones into the next lane to narrowly avoid being taken down myself. I was already heading down the hill as I looked back at the fallen skater. Staff members manning that corner were soon on the scene to offer assistance. It was a close call for me and I think the pace slowed a little after loosing one of the pack.

The night for me gets a little foggy. I remember that the temperature had dropped enough that on my next pit stop I donned my long pants and long sleeve jersey. I felt comfortable and kept a steady pace drafting whenever I could but at 7hrs into this my body was starting to complain. My feet were fine but my lower back was giving me some grief. I decided to try my back support, which seemed to help. After another hour or so, my gut was feeling a little uncomfortable, which I think was partly due to the pressure on my stomach from the back support. Loosening the straps seemed to help. As time passed into the midnight hours, the track was slowly drying out but the wind was picking up. Fortunately, the wind was at our backs on the straight-away so it was easy to pick the pace up to 17-18mph on the final 1mile stretch into the start/finish area. I found that rec skaters were good to follow, especially going through the hills and turns on the headwind side of the course. I always seemed to find a little extra juice if it meant drafting on that side of the course. I would feel good for around 7 or 8 lap intervals but then I’d stop for some soup, change bottles or to use the restroom and change socks. Past midnight, I think my breaks were lasting 10-20mins. At one point, around 4am I remember skating with a small group and feeling my eyelids getting heavy. I was struggling to keep awake and beginning to feel extremely drained. My left ankle was starting to hurt too, I think from pressure on the anklebone from the carbon boot, due to sloppy technique and pronation. I had to stop. Mom took care of my bottles and food while I laid down on the floor to give my feet and back some relief. I closed my eyes for around 30mins. I was so comfortable lying there but I knew I had to get back out. I finished my snack, made a restroom stop and then began to put my gear back on. This had been a one-hour break. My ankle was very painful so I tried some support wrap on it. Mom helped to get me back on my feet and I literally hobbled out of the garage! The first 2 laps were grueling but as my joints warmed back up, it felt better. It was not long after 5am that Lawrence came up behind me and we started working together. His pace was fine for me and it was good to have the company. I knew he was hurting too but we did the calculations and both our goals seemed attainable. I would grind out another 7 or 8 laps before heading back in for a short 10min break. Nothing longer as I knew as long as I kept the ankle moving, I’d be able to keep this pace going for my 100lap goal.

As the sun came up, the need for sleep seemed to pass. I lost Lawrence for a while during one of my breaks. But then found myself chasing a solo/relay pack who were just up ahead. A relay skater let me jump on board and helped me to close the gap but on the straight away I found myself alone again with the solo pack behind me! I was lucky to catch another relay skater and was feeling good so I kept a good pace thinking that I’d probably catch Lawrence. It wasn’t until after my next pit stop that I finally ran into Lawrence again. With the hours now dwindling to less than two, Lawrence and I worked together for the remainder. I hit my 100lap goal with about 30mins to spare. Lawrence hit is 500k goal soon after. With about 8mins to go we knew we were crossing the line for the final victory lap. It seemed unbelievable that we had come this far. We kept a strong pace for this one and on the last straight away gave it our best. I came though strong. The cheers and support coming through the finish line channel were amazing. It was truly a moving experience and a feat like no other for me.

In conclusion: I will be back next year barring any unforeseen events. I was amazed that my feet suffered no blisters but over a week later, my left anklebone is still a little sore in my race boots. I met some amazing people and have made some new friends. I owe so much to my mom for all her support during the event and to the many skaters, both relay and solos that helped pull my butt around the track. I hope that I was able to return the kindness if only a little. I found great camaraderie at this event and it is certainly the most character defining event that I have ever completed.

My result:103 laps – approx 275 miles (442km)
Skate Equipment: Simmons American Strat w/ bont Sniper 4x100
Wheels: Yellow matters and Street fighters (mix) which I used for 275miles and can still see the seams on all wheels!
Tech issues – 2 partially seized bearings after the rain – switched out during the event.
Key nutrient: Long live perpetuem and hammer gel!
Solid food – noodle soup, ham and croissants.
Foot issues – virtually none – wrinkled skin from dampness and sore left ankle bone from boot pressure
Health issues – sore quads, lower back and 3 day flu a week after.

PS. Glad you recovered Lawrence and that I was able to help you after the finish…
PPS. Congratulations again Johnny. You skated well!
PPPS. Thanks for the Kudos Lezsk8… hope to see you out there again soon!
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #85
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Great report! I still can't believe I didn't see you out on the track once until the last lap. Last year, I skated with Lawrence on the last lap and considered doing the same if I saw either of you this year, until I found out we had a slight chance at moving up a spot. I was relieved to see you two would be finishing together. Congratulations again for doing something truly amazing.
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #86
johnny

Default wheel traction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurosk8er View Post
Wheels: Yellow matters and Street fighters (mix) which I used for 275miles and can still see the seams on all wheels!
Tech issues – 2 partially seized bearings after the rain – switched out during the event.
Key nutrient: Long live perpetuem and hammer gel!
Solid food – noodle soup, ham and croissants.
Foot issues – virtually none – wrinkled skin from dampness and sore left ankle bone from boot pressure
Health issues – sore quads, lower back and 3 day flu a week after.
Sounds like you have the same training temperature problem as us Texans.

Do you think the 2+2 yellow-Street Fight combination will be enough for A2A if rains?
I used 1+3 in Montreal and didn't slip at all.

On dry road, I feel yellows roll much faster than Street Fights.

What bearings did you use?
Biff WD-40'ed the bearings, and I had no problem.

It was good to meet you.
Please say hi to mommy.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #87
johnny

Default bike, back, and wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkater View Post
This year with my move to Plano I knew that my skating was going to be less (no offence to the fine chip-seal up here, but the Veloway in Austin is a perfect place to skate), but I wasn't too worried about that, since skating wasn't the weak spot.
Seeing how well you did with so little skating makes me think I should've biked more. The crappy Plano road caused sciatica and back spasm on my 6+ hour skates. My spine didn't complain for either Austin 12 and Montreal 24 hour.

Maybe I should move closer to Veloway....

Thanks for offering to catch the French-speaking skaters. Getting 2nd didn't seem worth the risk; surpassing Coussy didn't seem possible by that point.

You also make me rethink about wheel sizes. With drafts so available in Montreal, maybe 4x90 is the way to go. But no way I'm going back to 5 wheels.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #88
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

You guys are all amazing.

On breaks ... the Marine Corps says for long humps (hikes with Military Gear) you get one 10 minute break after the first hour, and 5 minute breaks every hour after that. Doing this, you can basically hike all day; units have sustained 50mi a day for weeks. Note that 'with gear' means a lot of weight, for example, one guy in a Grunt Platoon is carrying the mortar Base Plate (30+lbs, plus packs, etc) and everyone has rifles and ammo, it's not like a civilian hike.

Does anyone try that, 5 minute rest very 55 minutes? To me, it seems like the slow and steady approach with no breaks is best, but I was wondering.

Maybe next year I can do the CORA events.

If I upgrade to Speed boots, is there a type of boot that's best for these long endurance skates?
== John ==
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt, 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #89
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Bryan, Bryan, and Luke: Thanks for the race reports! Great to read about the race from differing perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGwinner View Post
You guys are all amazing.

On breaks ... the Marine Corps says for long humps (hikes with Military Gear) you get one 10 minute break after the first hour, and 5 minute breaks every hour after that. Doing this, you can basically hike all day; units have sustained 50mi a day for weeks. Note that 'with gear' means a lot of weight, for example, one guy in a Grunt Platoon is carrying the mortar Base Plate (30+lbs, plus packs, etc) and everyone has rifles and ammo, it's not like a civilian hike.

Does anyone try that, 5 minute rest very 55 minutes? To me, it seems like the slow and steady approach with no breaks is best, but I was wondering.

Maybe next year I can do the CORA events.

If I upgrade to Speed boots, is there a type of boot that's best for these long endurance skates?
== John ==
It seems like most ultradistance athletes use some sort of structured approach to taking breaks -- 20 minutes every 6 hours or whatever. Ultrarunners typically walk five minutes every half hour. A full stop for five minutes every hour is probably too much for competitive purposes. I like the slow/steady/nonstop approach with rolling recovery as necessary, although rain has prevented me from fully implementing this strategy at Montreal these last 2 years.

As for the boots, I will be experimenting with going the other direction and using hybrid boots for ultradistance (Bont Semi-Race, K2 Radical, Rollerblade Speedmachine, etc.). I think it's possible that the extra ankle support, comfort, and padding can make up for the extra weight.
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #90
Endurosk8er

Thanks Jessica! I believe that I really have you to thank for planting the "24hr" seed and now it's firmly rooted!

Johnny, this was the first time I'd used that mix on a wet course but I considered the lighter push during this event would allow me to get enough traction with that mix of wheels. I too have been favoring the yellow matters for most other events. As for A2A, I might be tempted to use all SF's as you have to push hard on the hills and really need the traction. I guess if you were concerned you could throw in a storm surge on the back for extra traction... lets just hope its dry on Oct 5th!

As for the bearings, I had 608 swiss bones in the SF's and BSB micros (with the blue shields) in my matters. I don't usually risk micros in the wet too often but these were fairly new out of the box and still had that light-weight grease they come with. I was amazed that only 2 bearings started to lock up. The others survived the ordeal just fine.

I'll tell mom you said hi!
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #91
AustinSkater

Luke, good write-up, and a job well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
Seeing how well you did with so little skating makes me think I should've biked more. The crappy Plano road caused sciatica and back spasm on my 6+ hour skates. My spine didn't complain for either Austin 12 and Montreal 24 hour.

Maybe I should move closer to Veloway....

You also make me rethink about wheel sizes. With drafts so available in Montreal, maybe 4x90 is the way to go. But no way I'm going back to 5 wheels.
I discovered real quick that I prefer smooth asphalt over concrete on my skates, and it's easier to find company for a 12 -16 hour bike ride than a long skate as well. There are some drawbacks though, for the first few hours of our Austin skate I had to relearn how to skate, and even though I spent time between then and Montreal working on core strength my back was still a weak spot.

I love my 5x80 setup, and when I was toying with bigger wheels I was actually slower over a 5k sprint on the bigger wheels. Of course part of that may be the fact that I am a lot lower to the ground on my 80's, and much more comfortable. I figure for events like this, and A2A, my skates work quite well for me. Now if I can only find more 80mm wheels.

Last edited by AustinSkater; September 17th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
AustinSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #92
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Luke, Great race report and welcome to SLF! Wow! I'm in awe of what you accomplished at Montreal. I knew you're an elite speed skater, but endurance, and distance as well?!!! It's great to see that your Mom was there to support you. I hope to see you soon and hear more about it, and ...

LezSk8!
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #93
Endurosk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
I knew you're an elite speed skater, but endurance, and distance as well?!!!

LezSk8!

You are too kind Ken, but really, I'm not quite "elite" yet... will probably always be more long distance than speed...
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #94
RoadRashChronicles

Default My 2 reports

Hey there. I'm new. You can read about my first 24hrs here:

http://inlinespeed.livejournal.com/

I wish I knew of this place before....maybe i could have met some of you at the event.
RoadRashChronicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #95
Intrepid

Default 2008 Results Posted

The Montreal 24-Hour web site has finally posted the official 2008 race results, http://www.inline24.com/results.php

Congratulations to the SkateLog team for finishing 8 out of 33 in the Fitness category and 15 out of 71 overall.

And congratulations to Lawrence for finishing 4 out of 22 in the solo men category.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #96
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
The Montreal 24-Hour web site has finally posted the official 2008 race results, http://www.inline24.com/results.php

Congratulations to the SkateLog team for finishing 8 out of 33 in the Fitness category and 15 out of 71 overall.

And congratulations to Lawrence for finishing 4 out of 22 in the solo men category.
Thank you! Congratulations to the SQ "Rec" team for finishing 18th overall.

What took them so long??? I spent too much of my employer's time poring over the results today. It appears I win the consolation prize for being the fastest solo skater over the second 12 hours. Hey, I'll take that.
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #97
AustinSkater

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
Thank you! Congratulations to the SQ "Rec" team for finishing 18th overall.

What took them so long??? I spent too much of my employer's time poring over the results today. It appears I win the consolation prize for being the fastest solo skater over the second 12 hours. Hey, I'll take that.

Lawrence,

I am too lazy to plot each solo skaters time, but somehow I think that you'd also get an award for the most consistent lap times.
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #98
GustavoAMH

Default 2008 24hrs Inline Montreal - SkateLog Team Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Eugene's pix are now up in a separate folder in my gallery - he got some really great shots of our handoffs and the very charged solo skaters

Mat's pics are next - sorry this is a slow process.
I just uploaded my 2008 24hrs Inline Montreal video to YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-3n3JHu4SI

Gustavo
GustavoAMH is offline   Reply With Quote