S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM   #1
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Default Let's Form a "Montreal 24 Hour" SkateLog Team

OK, so we need to make a formal listing of the "team", for those of us who are considering doing it.

I assume we'd need to know by the end of January who's definitely in.

So, here's the list. Just copy & paste your name in the appropriate area after the number (use your first name and forum username):
  • Definitely In
    • 1)
    • 2)
    • 3)
    • 4)
    • 5)
    • 6)
    • 7)
    • 8)
    • 9)
    • 10)
  • Possibly In
    • 1) chuckboucher (Chuck)
    • 2)
    • 3)
    • 4)
    • 5)
    • 6)
    • 7)
    • 8)
    • 9)
    • 10)
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

From the other discussion about this event: This is a 24 hour relay race on a Formula One auto racing track in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The official event Web site is at 24inline.ca. If enough people are interested in forming a SkateLog team I will pay the team registration fee and I will try very hard to be there to support the team and take photos. Team categories are Recreation, Fitness, Elite, and Solo. Someone said in the other thread that their team registered in the recreation category but they were faster then the other recreational teams so they were promoted to the fitness category and finished 8th in that category.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; January 9th, 2007 at 07:47 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM   #3
skaterdog

OK, so we need to make a formal listing of the "team", for those of us who are considering doing it.

So, here's the list. Just copy & paste your name in the appropriate area after the number (use your first name and forum username):

* Definitely In
o 1)
o 2)
o 3)
o 4)
o 5)
o 6)
o 7)
o 8)
o 9)
o 10)
* Possibly In
o 1) chuckboucher (Chuck)
o 2) Skaterdog (Bill)
o 3)
o 4)
o 5)
o 6)
o 7)
o 8)
o 9)
o 10)
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
I'm sure people will want to start making plans for the skating events they will attend in 2007, but the team registration fee for the Montreal 24 Hour event will remain the same through the end of June, so people do have some time to decide. I've been told the event was filled up before the announced registration deadline in past years, but I'm not sure how soon that happened.

- Kathie
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #5
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
I'm sure people will want to start making plans for the skating events they will attend in 2007, but the team registration fee for the Montreal 24 Hour event will remain the same through the end of June, so people do have some time to decide.
- Kathie
Kathie, looking at the Montreal 24 site, the team registration schedule is as follows (24hrs Inline Montreal - Registration):

Before '07-02-01: $400CDN

Before '07-04-01: $500CDN

Before '07-06-01: $600CDN

Before '07-07-13: $700CDN

'07-07-14: $800CDN
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Oops! Thanks Chuck, I read that wrong. So it would be best if people could decide in January, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

- Kathie
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #7
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I've been talking it over with my wife. She likes the idea. A chance to get away and a chance to get me back and rolling again.

As far as our wearing the t-shirts if you pay the entry fee, Kathie, I'm in, but I'd need to purchase one from you. I don't have one yet.
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #8
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Anybody skating on a SkateLog team gets a free SkateLog t-shirt. And by the way, if anybody wants to skate in their regular skinsuit instead of a t-shirt that's fine of course. I'm not selling anything here... just trying to get more skaters involved in our forum to make our discussions more interesting.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; January 7th, 2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #9
DonPatton
Gadget Guy

* Definitely In
o 1)
o 2)
o 3)
o 4)
o 5)
o 6)
o 7)
o 8)
o 9)
o 10)
* Possibly In
o 1) chuckboucher (Chuck)
o 2) Skaterdog (Bill)
o 3) Don Patton
o 4)
o 5)
o 6)
o 7)
o 8)
o 9)
o 10)
DonPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #10
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Anybody skating on a SkateLog team gets a free SkateLog t-shirt shirt. And by the way, if anybody wants to skate in their regular skinsuit instead of a t-shirt that's fine of course. I'm not selling anything here... just trying to get more skaters involved in our forum to make our discussions more interesting.

- Kathie
I'd probably wear a skinsuit, but wear the skatelog shirt over it.

I have to get cracking though since I have to get back down to my skating weight, which is now 15 pounds away.

OY!!
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #11
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Tell you all what...

I'll be the first to commit. But I'm listing my name as #10 . . . Kathie, if you need additional info for the application, email me and let me know. Thanks.

DEFINITELY IN
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) chuckboucher (Chuck)

POSSIBLY IN
1) Skaterdog (Bill)
2) Don Patton
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #12
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
I'd probably wear a skinsuit, but wear the skatelog shirt over it.
The most important thing is for the skaters to feel 100% comfortable with what they are wearing while skating, so whether or not they actually skate in the t-shirts would be up to the skaters. I would be fine if they just wore the SkateLog shirts occasionally when they were not skating.

- K
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #13
unalaska

I would love to participate in this event but I am not sure how my wife and might fit in.
It would help if someone would decide how skaters would particpate so those of us with varying levels of expertise could determine for themsleves if it would be a good thing.

I know I would not want to do one lap at a time like one previous skater described his team was doing.

How would skating be divided, 10 equal parts of 144 minutes each? Two 72 minute pulls each? How are hard core skaters going to feel about participation with rec skaters who might not have as great a time as them.
Are we doing this for fun or are we taking a more serious approach.

Thanks Kathie for jumping in with your generous offers..
unalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #14
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Good questions Alaska. Maybe there should be two teams, a hardcore speed team and a recreational team. That way everybody could have fun.

- Kathie
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #15
Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by unalaska View Post
I know I would not want to do one lap at a time like one previous skater described his team was doing.

How would skating be divided, 10 equal parts of 144 minutes each? Two 72 minute pulls each? How are hard core skaters going to feel about participation with rec skaters who might not have as great a time as them.
Are we doing this for fun or are we taking a more serious approach.
unalaska - take a look at the "Montreal 24 Hour Relay: July 14-15, 2007" thread on this board, I believe that your questions have been discussed there in the “race strategy" post. Please keep in mind that the Montreal 24-Hour event is a team relay race, not a sequence of 144-minute skates by individual skaters. The “team” factor is a true differentiator of this event compared to almost any other skating race. In all other events, when the Skater’s Quest team enters marathon races or A2A, each team member races against other participants in the race including other SQ members (even though we help each other during the race in our pace lines, we are individual skaters in the race). With Montreal, it’s a team effort start-to-finish and this is quite a different experience and approach than most any other race. Having a baton hand-off between team members every 10 minutes was pretty exciting and it kept everyone's head in the game. It also built team camaraderie as the race progressed.

As mentioned in the race strategy post, skating more than one lap at a time will slow down the entire team and cause fewer total laps to be skated over the 24 hours. The single-lap race strategy is a standard relay race technique which was utilized by most of the pro-elite and fitness teams and many of the recreation teams. All things being equal, a fresh skater doing one lap will go faster than a skater on his/her second lap; especially late in race on Sunday when skaters have either had no sleep or just a few hours of sleep since Friday night. I spoke with Aaron Arndt from the winning Skate Farm team and several members of the Empire team that came in second, both of which used the single-lap technique, and they said that their race strategy decisions centered on which skater would be on which sub-team to maximize the average speed of their teams.

Keep in mind that the SL team can change the skating assignments and rotations at any time during the race. The primary rules are that only one skater can be on the track and that only the names on the roster submitted an hour before the race begins can be the skaters on the team.

So, my two cents would be for the SL team to consider the-single lap strategy for the Montreal race. I hope that I was't too long winded in my response, just conveying the experience that we had from the 2006 race.

Howard
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #16
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
If enough people are interested in forming a SkateLog team I will pay the team registration fee and I will try very hard to be there to support the team and take photos.
Sweet Come on people let's make a team!

DEFINITELY IN
1) Jessica
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) chuckboucher (Chuck)

POSSIBLY IN
1) Skaterdog (Bill)
2) Don Patton
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #17
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Woo hoo Jessica!

I'm reading a bit more about the race. Teams can have anywhere from 1 to 10 members and the categories are:

Elite - 28 kilometers (17 miles) per hour or faster
Fitness - 20-28 kilometers (12-17 miles) per hour
Recreation - 20 kilometers (12 miles) per hour or slower

One team or two, and in what categories?

- Kathie
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #18
DonPatton
Gadget Guy

OK, if Jessica can commit to this one after what happened Saturday, I can commit to it, too.

DEFINITELY IN
1) Jessica
2) Don Patton
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) chuckboucher (Chuck)

POSSIBLY IN
1) Skaterdog (Bill)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
DonPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #19
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Sweet Come on people let's make a team!

DEFINITELY IN
1) Jessica
Wow..... you have a very strong will. Too bad I can't travel too much this year but I will do next year if you're doing it.
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #20
mjcole

Hi everyone,

For reasons I posted in the other thread, http://skatelogforum.com/forums/show...5&postcount=68, I won't be able to make it this year. But I promise, as long as there is plans to do a team in 2008 I will show... although 28km/h or faster... I am not sure if I can sustain that. Fitness team, no problem.

In my post I also give some common sense dos and don'ts of border crossing. I should add, having come to visit a friend of mine in Rochester NY, I got searched yesterday, there was no contraband and I was allowed to go, but its still not a pleasent experience. The moral of the story is, I guess, pack light -less to tidy up and less waiting because there is less to search - and expect to be searched. There is no reason for me to be flagged, other than how often I cross the border, but its still happend four times in less than two years.

Good luck in Montreal!
mjcole is offline   Reply With Quote