S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #21
MNGreene
No Witty Title

Default Names with faces

left to right on the photo:

Speedsk8r, DonPatton, MN_Mike, MNGreene, Jessica, Mark, chuckboucher, t.grosspietsch, Gopherfan, Carvell.
MNGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #22
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

Congrats to everyone on a fine job. Well done.

Hey whose taking the butt shots. That's my job!
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #23
desertkiwi
Make It Happen

Wow! You guys are awesome. Congrats to all the SLF participants and especially Lawrence; holy cow(bell), buddy!

Can't wait to see the movie, or at least the photos and videos.

Thanks for the update, ChuckB!

Tawni
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #24
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertkiwi View Post
Wow! You guys are awesome. Congrats to all the SLF participants and especially Lawrence; holy cow(bell), buddy!

Can't wait to see the movie, or at least the photos and videos.

Thanks for the update, ChuckB!

Tawni
cudos to all of the team, you did great and had to travel a distance for some of you to get there. good representation if you ask me
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #25
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Here's the team photo (taken along the Olympic Basin, where the 1976 Olympics were held):

And our better side:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGreene View Post
left to right on the photo:

Speedsk8r, DonPatton, MN_Mike, MNGreene, Jessica, Mark, chuckboucher, t.grosspietsch, Gopherfan, Carvell.

I just wanted to do this so we don't have to scroll up to put names to bums! Hmmm... I see that t.grosspietsch likes to "lean" into it a little more than the others!
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #26
speedysktr
President of Everything

Top of the World to YOU Skatelog 24Hr Team.

The rest of us sit in awe of what you have done,
hoping to step up to be a part of the team for next
year. Congtatulations to all!
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #27
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
Hmmm... I see that t.grosspietsch likes to "lean" into it a little more than the others!
good eye, there buddy, I prefer to keep my eye on my girl.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #28
DonPatton
Gadget Guy

I'm sure there will be plenty more photos to follow (sounds like about 400 from Chuck's wife). Here's a link to some of the pics I took while in Montreal (http://picasaweb.google.com/LBVSkate...InlineMontreal - also posted on the "post it" thread).

What a blast! Lawrence was such an inspiration that there was actually some talk between a couple of us about putting together a SkateLog skating and support team of soloists to support each other during next year's race .

Happy Trails,

Don
DonPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #29
sk8crazy

Great to hear that Skatelog came in 9th in the category and Lawrence in 3rd solo. Eric Gee (last year's winner) was first.

Montreal was a great time as usual for me. It was really nice to meet up with some skating friends that I hadn't seen in a while. I got to meet a few of the skatelog team as well as Lawrence. It was wonderful to meet everyone I'm just sorry that I didn't get to meet all of you. Next year hopefully!!!

Lawrence, I'll say this again .. it was such a pleasure to meet you and like I said to you in Montreal you did an amazing thing this weekend. I sincerely hope that you come back next year and do it again. Hopefully next year the weather will be a bit more forgiving. I really felt for all of you soloists in that horrible rain during the night. I skated the 11:00 - 2:00 shift and skated through the rain. At one point the rain was so heavy that I couldn't see 6 feet in front of me. I know how tough it was to skate during those hours and I must say that I really, really admire all those that were out there for the 24 hours. What an amazing group of skaters!

Gopherfan ... Joel says he's looking forward to seeing you in Duluth and New York. Obviously his "retirement" was shortlived. By my calculations (and I would know because I'm married to him) it was about a week!! I guess you just can't stop a skater. Did he mention the "Defi" to you??? It's quite interesting ... 128k on the streets and pathways of Montreal with just a map and written directions to help you through. Quite an intriguing race!!!

Christine
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #30
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

Congratulations to the SkateLog Team for 9th and MC for his 3rd place finish. Great job all around.
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #31
MN_Mike

WOW! What a great time. It was so great to put faces to all the names and to skate with such great people (on our team and on other teams as well)! Definitely one of the most fun races out there!!!

Lawrence, you are definitely an inspiration for me to do this solo next year! Congratulations!
MN_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #32
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
Chuck, any word on the Flying Fossils team?

Heard from Stephen Fisher, captain of the Flying Fossils and they placed 2nd in their category. The team that won was from Ottawa and the average age was probably around 30ish.

The Flying Fossils certainly were flying. Only one of our skaters (Joel) was able to skate with them and all his lap times were between 9:30 and 9:45. The Fossils were fast. I really thought they would be bumped (along with the Ottawa team) up to the elite category. But,from what I hear the elite teams were consistently hammering out sub 8:30 lap times and I guess that's why they are elite skaters.

On a side note, I heard that the elite team that won was comprised of some of the best Canadian skaters, some of which were Olympic medalists in Ice.

Christine
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #33
The Major

Thought you might find this interesting. This is from Cale Carvell of the Flying Fossils and Team Rainbo:

Bonjour! Monsior Cale here with a report from the pain train that was the Montreal 24 hour marathon. The experience began when Margo, Jan, Tom G., and I landed in beautiful Montreal, Canada. The Canadian version of France, where all the signs are in French, most the people speak only French, and finding your way around is no easy project. We did, however, with our rent a car, find our way to the hotel and did some shopping for the experience that was to follow. With much excitement and some apprehension, and after getting lost first, we made our way to the Formula one race track where the race was to begin at PM. We separated as I found my "Flying Fossil" teammates while Jan, Tom, and Margo went to find there team "Skate Log.com". From hear on out you will be reading about the Flying Fossils and my experience as part of this team of old farts all of who were 55 and over. Our median age was 58. After setting up our paddock ( basically a 20 X 20 ft covered area) with water, coolers, chairs, tables, food, extra clothes, air mattresses, and skate supplies, and being sure we all had our Flomax, denture creams, glasses, hearing aids, Depends and other personal supplies, we had our strategy meeting. The race was to begin at PM and we decided that each skater would skate one lap (3 miles), and then hand the baton off to the next skater and continue like that until 10pm when we would split into two teams of 5 and let one team sleep from 10pm-2am and then switch with the others who could then sleep from 2am-6am and then we would all regroup to finish from 6am til the finish of the race at PM.
The course was a 3 mile circuit with numerous turns, one very gradual up hill, a long gradual down hill and a hairpin right turn that led into a 1 mile straight away that finished in front of the paddocks where everyone had to pass off there baton to the next skater. Many teams had many different strategies as to how to best do this for 24 hours. There were no rules about how many laps anyone had to skate in a row or in total.
The excitement was growing while the music was blaring and the announcer was yapping and yapping about who knows what, because most of it was in French. Everyone was in high spirits, full of energy and ready to go. All 800 skaters, together, did a slow skate around the circuit while the official stopped us at certain places to say something in French and then in some form of English that was impossible to understand.
Finally the countdown began 5..4..3..2..1.....And each teams first skater was off. Alan Marcossan was our first skater with me being second. The first few hours were nothing but fun with everyone sharing their lap stories and talking about the laps to come. We had a few problems with some of the passes, a few dropped batons, but we got it down pretty good. We were at the end of the hand off lanes which were only wide enough for two skaters to be side by side. It was often hard to see your teammate through the maze of skaters, so getting started on each lap could be quite an adventure. Alan and I were doing laps in the 8min 35-45 sec level and our teammates were in the 9 to 10 minute time frame unless you were lucky enough to be able to draft with someone who was a little better than you, which was rare. I was lucky enough to have jumped on a pro team and had our fastest lap (just under 8 min) All was going pretty well until about 6 PM when, wouldn't you know it, the forecasted scattered showers began scattering on us, and the wind started howling. The track got slippery, the times got slower, the rain stopped, things dried up, the rain came back, things dried up, and back it came again. It was getting pretty ugly trying to keep the wheels rolling, dealing with being soaked constantly, putting on saturated skates and then it got dark. To say the least, visibility was terrible. They had some portable spotlights out in a few areas of the track, but it was just barely enough to see where you were skating. Lots of people wore head lights on their headlights, but I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle. Because it was so dark at the hand off area, many skaters wore blinking lights, so the person they were handing off to could tell it was their teammate as they came in to hand off. There were so many different types of blinking lights, ropes, flashers, on bodies, skates, helmets etc, that it seemed like Christmas in July. Finally the rain stopped around 10pm
We were running in third place 2 laps behind a french Canadian racing club team when 10pm rolled around and it was time for the first group to sleep. I was in the first group and I tried, really I tried, but after a 45 minute kind of half conscious nap in a chair, it was hopeless. The adrenaline, red bull, gels, sport drinks and Snickers were to much to overcome so I announced that since I was skating some of the fastest lap times and I felt good, there was no reason for me to not continue. I would replace one of our team and wake him up after 4 hours if I needed to sleep. So now I was skating every 5th lap starting around 11:30pm. Of course as soon as I started, the real rain began. For the rest of the night, it rained steadily and as the laps piled up the uphill got steeper, the downhill got shorter and the wind, which blew right in your face as you rounded the hairpin turn for the 1 mile home, blew harder. Fatigue began to settled in and the old guys bones were creeping, but we kept up the pace. For some reason, as the night ground on, I actually began feeling better and better and when it was time to wake up the other 5 guys, we only woke up 1 and I just kept on skating. From 11:30pm til 6am, I skated every 5th lap. By 6am when everyone was up again, we had moved up to 2nd place only a lap and a half down from the "Rapid Lap Dogs" (How's that for a name).
Now you haven't lived until you see bunch of exhausted old guys wake up after not enough sleep and have to get it together to skate as hard as they can. The creaking bones, gas noises, various smells, moaning and groaning were an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone but us. Our spirits were high, however, and after a little while, we were excited, and the adrenalin was doing its thing. I had however had no sleep and was starting to feel the effects, however I'd be damned if I was going to admit it. I figured that as long as I did not sit down for long, I could keep going. The rain had stopped and the course dried up and the sun came out and I almost broke out in a song. We all kept hammering as hard as we could, we kept our lap times up as high as we had, and we were closing in on the Lap Dogs.
As the 1pm finishing time got closer, the spirit at the race was electric. All the pain, all the struggles, all the effort was coming to an end. Everyone cheered for every skater as the finished their last laps. The air was alive with good feelings, camaraderie, sense of accomplishment, joy, and friendly competition. There was no controversy, no arguments, everyone helped each other, and the compliments were many. No one left the starting line until every skater finished their last lap. We could not catch up and we finished 2nd, but it didn't matter as we gave it everything we had and really put a scare into a much younger group of quality skaters. The were thrilled with the competition and admitted that we had them seriously worried and forced them push themselves as hard as possible. The Canadian team that we passed congratulated us in broken English and hugged us and it truly was a Hallmark moment.
I know that this has been long, but so was the race. I could go on forever about each lap I did. I have never pushed myself any harder, or skated any better than at this event. The experience was something that I hope to do again and would challenge any of you to participate in. Their were skaters of every conceivable level who all had one common goal. Their were even skaters who did the entire 24 hours ALONE.....Unbelievable. Thanks to my teammates Alan Marcosson,Larry Griffin, Peter Moynihan,Ken Huss, Ed Duncan, Bob Harwell, Robert Stroud, John Altwater, and Stephen Fischer (our Captain who had the idea...thanks for calling me. The accomplishment was exhilarating and my teammates and I have a bond that will never disappear, even when we race against each other................Cale "Team Rainbo and a Flying Fossil too" Carvell
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #34
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
good eye, there buddy, I prefer to keep my eye on my girl.

well I did notice how she's got the longest legs in the relay!!
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #35
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Absolutely outstanding!!!!
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #36
MNGreene
No Witty Title

Thanks Major for posting Cale's great report. What a riot! I literally LOL a couple of times.
MNGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #37
SeJoWa

Wow! Congratulations to the SkateLog team and a triple hooray for Lawrence! You guys do look like a million smiles.

The Flying Fossils report was a hoot to read too, I love that kind of race reporting.
SeJoWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #38
pdinphx
Jedi Master Wasabe

Team SLF Guys and gals,

Congratulations!!!

Wish I coulda been there ...
pdinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #39
speedysktr
President of Everything

I would urge any and all of the competitors to confer and make notes as soon as possible about what went right and what could have gone better. Do it while it's still fresh so you can find ways to improve for next year. Do it on a personal level and as a team.
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #40
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

I think I'm still 'hungover' from the race - I'm fairly sure that's the first time I've gotten by with less than two hours of sleep. But, it was worth it - such an amazing event! All of our baton exchanges went surprisingly well, considering we'd never practiced them. No dropped batons, no major crashes, and an impressive performance from every skater on the team. I'm proud of every one of you and I feel lucky to have been part of such an amazing group of athletes.

It was nice meeting some new people, and Montreal was beautiful. I wish I could have stayed longer! Next year, we're talking about the possibility of doing it solo, and maybe even doing both (solo and team).

Most importantly, thank you so much Kathie for providing us the opportunity. I wish you could have been there, but we'll see you next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8crazy View Post
I'm just sorry that I didn't get to meet all of you. Next year hopefully!!!
I ran into one of your teammates at one point and asked about you, but I asked about sk8crazy rather than Christine and I think that confused her Hopefully I'll get to meet you next year.

My Pictures

More pictures will be added as I receive them, so keep checking back