S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #1
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Default 2007 NorthShore Marathon - Results and Reports

Way to go SkateLoggers!!!

Jessica Wright
bib number: 906
overall place: 164 out of 2557
division place: 2 out of 191
gender place: 7 out of 1062
time: 1:37:30
pace: 3:44

---------------------------------------------------

Doug McDonald
bib number: 473
overall place: 38 out of 2557
division place: 7 out of 213
gender place: 38 out of 1498
time: 1:32:38
pace: 3:32

Margo Carvell
bib number: 360
overall place: 65 out of 208
division place: 5 out of 8
gender place: 5 out of 8
time: 1:48:40
pace: 4:09

Thomas Grosspietsch
bib number: 233
overall place: 41 out of 208
division place: 41 out of 48
gender place: 41 out of 48
time: 1:31:34
pace: 3:30

----------------------------------------------------
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

More Results:

Place No. Name Last Name Age St Country Team Time Pace Rate
19 5 FRANCISCO RAMIREZ 30 NJ USA K2/EMPIRE 1:17:53.1 2:59 20.2 (Elite)
27 283 KEVIN LARSON 48 NJ USA TEAM M 1:26:43.9 3:19 18.1 (Elite Veterans)
4 259 GREG MAJOR 50 IL USA TEAM RAINBO/TRU REV 1:21:23.8 3:07 19.3 (Elite Veterans)
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #3
panch0

HeadWind!!!
panch0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #4
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
HeadWind!!!
Seems that way. Not close to record pace.
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #5
SeJoWa

It's nice indeed to see several SkateLoggies of renown pop up in the charts! Must have been pretty cold. Brr. Hope to hear everything about it! Lots of good memories, no doubt.

NORTHSHORE INLINE MARATHON OVERALL ELITE MEN RESULTS - OVERALL
34 66 SEBASTIAN BRUCKER 24 SUI SWITZER SPEED INLINERS BASILISK 1:22:52.1 3:10 19.0

NORTHSHORE INLINE MARATHON OVERALL ELITE MEN - SENIORS - RESULTS
15 81 MARTIN REINHARD 31 SUI SWITZER SPEED INLINERS BASILISK 1:37:30.2 3:44 16.1

NORTHSHORE INLINE MARATHON OVERALL ELITE MEN - MASTERS RESULTS
21 187 ROMAN SCHMIDLIN 36 SUI SWITZER SPEED INLINERS BASILISK 1:19:47.0 3:03 19.7

61 186 TOBIAS REMPERT 41 SUI SWITZER SPEED INLINERS BASILISK 1:50:59.2 4:14 14.2

NORTHSHORE INLINE MARATHON OVERALL ELITE MEN - VETERAN RESULTS
33 295 ENNIO BIRADO 47 SUI SWITZER SPEED INLINERS BASILISK 1:28:26.6 3:23 17.8

NORTHSHORE INLINE MARATHON OVERALL ELITE MEN - GRAND VETERANS RESULTS
4 296 URS ROTACH 60 SUI SWITZER SPEED INLINERS BASILISK 1:22:47.0 3:10 19.0

NORTHSHORE INLINE ELITE WOMEN OVERALL RESULTS
18 331 JACQUELINE MATHYS 25 SUI SWITZER SPEED INLINERS BASIL 1:27:57.2 3:22 17.9

Urs Rotach, by the by, won the Veteran's category of Le Mans '07 skating with the Speedteam Freiburg.
Old September 16th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #6
Intrepid

Seven of the eleven Skater's Quest participants ended up on the podium; some top SQ finishers:

Krista Heubusch, 2nd overall female, 1/126 in division, 1:36:49
Kent Gunlicks, 8th overall male, 2/129 in division, 1:29:18
Brendan Farrell, 16th overall male, 1/95 in division, 1:29:32
Susan Schneider, 9/115 in division, 1:43:12

Krista said that the temp at start was 30 with wind chill in the 20s.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #7
MNGreene
No Witty Title

Hi all! Back from Duluth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
HeadWind!!!
You got it!.
From what I saw from the 3rd Open men's paceline, the wind made for very few breaks and not a lot of interest in pulling or chasing down the next line ahead. We ended up with a large paceline, slower pace and a short sprint. Since we were going slower at times, I had a chance to look around a little. Not sure what the windspeed was, but there were whitecaps on Lake Superior traveling our direction.

At mile 20, my buddy saw the 1st or 2nd Open men's paceline stand up and skatter across the road -- no one seemed to want to pull.

The temp was cool (ok, cold) until your warmup, but the sun came rose above the treetops before the start and it was not bad even in shorts (at least for a northerner). By the afternoon it turned out to be a beautiful fall day.

Skated the whole race with MN_Mike, saw lots of Skateloggers before and after the race which is always fun!

Felt great during and after the race and I finally got that 1st marathon under my belt .

Missed you, Chuck!

--Doug
MNGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #8
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Default Duluth Race Report - Candy Wong rocks!

I'll chime in with my report.

Arrived about 5:50pm Friday night, and we knew the weather reports were calling for cold, so most of us brought cold weather gear. After our team dinner I got to bed and woke up to 28 degree weather. Chilly! I had run in much colder weather, but skating generates way more wind.

Took the shuttle bus, and by the time I got there and got dressed and got to the line, I had scant 5 minutes before the race. No warm up for me! I got to the front of wave 4, and there I met a real nice young lady - Candy Wong (found her name in the results). This little woman was all of 5 feet 2 and 100 pounds (on a guess). We decide we would take off and get ahead of the wave to avoid problems. I know I felt like I might have been in too low a wave, and I think she may have felt that way too. (This was only my second marathon).

We took off at the start and I pulled at first for a bit, we left the wave in the dust. Let me just say that I want to strangle each and every person who LIED to me and told me Duluth is flat! LOL. I swear it was one slow uphill after another nearly all the way.

Anyway, what you read about the headwind is true - holy cow. It wasn't super bad, but it was constant and always there. Everyone commented after the race about how it affected the times. The cold really wasn't an issue once you got moving.

After a mile or so we picked up another young lady in rec skates, whose name I did not get. From that point on, the three of us skated probably the next 18 miles together. I couldn't count how many people we passed, it was easily in the hundreds.

Candi was and is a monster on the hills! She motored up them, pulling us up many of them like a freight train. She's small but powerful! The other girl did just as well pulling too. At some point we picked up another guy, who skated with us for awhile. At one point, he was saying something to me (I couldn't hear due to the wind) and he swung out to the right (he might have been going to pull) and the poor guy clipped my skate and went down. We looked back and asked if he was okay, he just kind of rolled off into the grass and yelled he was. Felt bad but what can you do.

There were actually quite a few falls, I saw a good handful of rec skaters down and we had a few teammates take a fall, and one get kicked in the knee from a flying skate.

I have to admit that I did not pull as well, unfortunately. My back began giving me real problems around mile 11. I seemed able to skate in the paceline, but pulling seemed to really stress me more and I slowed too much. Sorry girls, I wish I could have done better! But I did my best when I was up there.

So basically I sucked their wheels for 20 miles LOL. At mile 18 I think we saw two military jets fly over, very cool.

As we began to get into town, we jumped on to bigger paceline for a bit, but then jump out when they were too slow. Finally we came to the first ramp, and I *died* at the top of the hill - legs refused to work. Somehow got up and found Candi again and we continued on, moving on to the freeway. This time we jumped into a paceline that worked for us and stayed there for the last part.

Going through the 3 tunnels was testament to how much the head wind affected you. The moment we got in the tunnel, we picked up like 2-3 mph - it was wild.

Finally we came to the ramp leading up to the finish. I did better here and didn't die out. At some point we lost the other girl, not sure when, but I exhorted Candi at that part to fly down the hill - and did so myself. At that point I lost her too (I think she was behind) (Edit: found her time, she finished only 8 seconds behind me - she was right there all along!)

I was working to beat my St. Paul time and I had scant minutes to work with. I went as fast down the last hill and left turn as I dared, and sprinted to the finish with all I had left.

My final time was 1:48:28 - about 3-4 minutes better than St. Paul. At first I was really disappointed. I had been training fairly hard and wanted to improve more, but after talking to everyone and finding everyone's times slower due to the wind, I didn't feel so bad.

The finish in town was great with all the people cheering you on, truly Duluth is the king of races.

As I said Team Rainbo brought 46 skaters to the race (1% of the total!) and we got together with most of us for a team picture. Many of our skaters did very well, including Cale Carvell winning the Grand Veterans.

A great first experience at Duluth, I really enjoyed it. And to Candy wherever you are, it was great meeting you, you're a great skater and I had a blast sucking your wheel the whole time.. I owe you!

Tom

Last edited by tdellaringa; September 17th, 2007 at 03:28 PM.
tdellaringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #9
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

My post was moved so this post can be deleted .

Last edited by tdellaringa; September 17th, 2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #10
MN_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGreene View Post
Skated the whole race with MN_Mike, saw lots of Skateloggers before and after the race which is always fun!
Thanks for the pulls Doug. Next time, I'll try and stick up front for the last 6 miles so I don't get caught in back again. I made a nice sprint passing a few people but coming short of most of our pack at the line. I believe chip time gave me a small break since I started out in the back of our wave. However, there were 4 skaters within a second ahead of me.

Got to see, The General and Tom G. Margo and Jan from Team Rainbo.
Missed out on seeing Jessica and Speedy this time around.
End of the season for me, have fun everybody at New York, a2a and Houston.

Michael
MN_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #11
online inline

Good to see some of the gang out there. What a slice of the inline scene.

It was great to see it all up close and to be emersed in it for the weekend. And i finally saw why the Sat. night party at Grandma's has such a reputation. Amazing! All i can say is i've never seen a truer example of "work hard and play hard" than this weekend.

As for the weather, it was a factor. It seemed as soon as you got over the cold, you got hit with the winds that were picking up, and which really hit you once you got out of the trees and hit the lake. There was a lot of cramping. There were a lot of skaters that it got the best of. And the times were off this year in a big way, with just about everyone who skated in the rain last year had a better clock time than they did this year - go figure.

BUt it was not unpleasant. It it was just another factor to work with on this years race.

Also, congrats to Buzzinghornet (who i finally got to meet), and to his results. I can't tell you what they were, but i can tell you what matters most - he was reasonably pleased with it.

Nice to meet you, too, Gless. I could have talked to you all weekend, but i guess that just means we;ll have to save it til next year.

Good to meet you, Greg Major, both on and off the course. Congrats on your impressive finish.

Well done, all.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #12
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

You know, maybe next year we could have a spot where people from Skatelog can stop by after the race and say hello - might be a good way to meet people.
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #13
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
You know, maybe next year we could have a spot where people from Skatelog can stop by after the race and say hello - might be a good way to meet people.
Good idea. Grandma's has my vote. I'll meet you there, and you can give me your coupon for a free beer. What do ya say?
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #14
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

I say, I'll have to find my way over!
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #15
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Just got back from the trip, exhausted.

Quick brief on my race. The cold temperature made it really miserable for almost everyone. I had never skated in such a cold environment, so there're parts of my body didn't quite cooperating. The first 6 miles was brutal, but was able to recover and stayed in packs for the remainder of the race. This is probably the longest I have ever stay in packs in a marathon.

My time, 1.46.26, my slowest Northshore so far, but my fastest marathon of this year. Squiggy and Disner were slower due to the "slump", and I had an equipment failure at St. Paul. Despite the difficulties and headwind, it's less eventful than my other marathons. My placement was better than the year before as well. I am reasonably satisfied with my result.

That's 2 decent races in a row despite freak circumstances. Hope I can carry momentum to the end of the season.
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #16
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
I met a real nice young lady - Candy Wong (found her name in the results). This little woman was all of 5 feet 2 and 100 pounds (on a guess). We decide we would take off and get ahead of the wave to avoid problems. I know I felt like I might have been in too low a wave, and I think she may have felt that way too. (This was only my second marathon).

A great first experience at Duluth, I really enjoyed it. And to Candi wherever you are, it was great meeting you, you're a great skater and I had a blast sucking your wheel the whole time.. I owe you!

Tom

I know Candy ... she's a great skater and a super nice person. I'll tell her about your post.

C
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #17
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8crazy View Post
I know Candy ... she's a great skater and a super nice person. I'll tell her about your post.

C
Excellent - thank you! As I said, I would expect her to be force in women's skating in the future, she has some talent. And I also agree she is a super nice person.

Last edited by tdellaringa; September 17th, 2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #18
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGreene View Post
Missed you, Chuck!
Great report, Doug. I would've like to have been there. I would probably have been in your paceline as I have improved a great deal since we last skated in Montreal.

I've missed all of the Montreal SkateLog team since we parted in July and had hoped to make at least one other event before the season's close, it's been financially hard to get to any of the events. But, there is a light at the end of the tunnel as I will be changing jobs in a couple of weeks to one that allows me more time at home (80% from home, 10% travel to client locations, and 10 % at the office) instead of commuting so much. t was the commuting that was draining the money away.

Hopefully, next season will be a better one for me.

Great job to anyone who competed in Duluth this past weekend.
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #19
The General
Ninja Skater

Default Up and down year . . .

It's been one of those years for me - up and down. Saturday was a down day.

Yes, I'm originally from Indiana, but I've been in Florida for 10 years now and I never really liked the cold weather when I lived in IN. So, Saturday was another shock to my system.

I started in Wave B and got off the line ahead of everyone else. I noticed one other skater who had gotten off the line rather quickly, as well, and fell in behind him. It wasn't long before we had a good line of about 50 skaters with me in second position. It also wasn't long before I started getting a lot of congestion in my sinuses and lungs. I started trying to spit that congestion out and around mile 5, it was getting really bad. My aim was getting worse and the guys behind me ended up with some of my congestion on their skin suits -- ugh! The next time I tried to clear my lungs, I decided to get out of the line to spare my fellow drafters. As I tried to get back in line, my skates hit a tar snake or crack or something and slid on the pavement as I went down (just decided the night before to try white Matters - first time trying them - very poor decision on my part). My left hand took the brunt and I think I may have chipped some bones in the small finger. Distracted by the pain, I watched as my draft line skated by. And then I decided to try and catch them again but it was too late.

I caught a couple other draft lines but couldn't keep up. About half way through the race, I saw 3 ladies and couldn't remember what wave was directly behind us. I caught them at a pace I thought I could maintain in the draft, hoping they were in the advanced division only to discover they were in the Masters and Veterans divisions so I had to get off their draft. Bummer!! And they were going at such a good pace for me to regain some momentum!! But I understood and got off the line.

I think the next significant draft I got was when Jessica's line started to pass me. It was a long one, so I was able to grab on about midway through the line. I was probably with that line for about 5 miles when I had to drop out of the middle. I caught the end of the line for a while before a couple skaters went down midway through the line. Since my marathon was basically a bust at this point, I decided to stop and help the fallen skaters. By the time I got back to them, they had gotten up and started giving the pace line a good chase. My spirit was shot at that point and my energy level very low. I was still coughing up a lot of "stuff", so I said farewell to yet another drafting opportunity.

My eyes don't do well in cold air and about 5 - 10 miles from the finish, everything in front of me was a blur. I began to memorize jersey colors of the skaters in front of me so I had something to follow (i.e., there's a red blob, follow the red blob). I was getting more nervous about tar snakes and cracks in the road because I couldn't see them. When we got to the last hill, I passed several skaters and was thankful that there were still a couple ahead of me. I tried to follow their lines to stay away from the bad sections of the road. I managed to cross the finish line without a second fall but felt very defeated by the race this year.

My eyes were so blurry and dry that it hurt every time I blinked. Someone found my bag of stuff and I found a spot in the front corner of the DECC to lay down, reeling from a severe headache caused by the congestion and the eye irritation. I felt myself getting physically ill and almost threw up in the empty trash bag that had held my stuff during the race. After about 30 minutes of that, I finally got up to get some nourishment. If you saw a guy walking around the DECC right after the race still wearing his sunglasses and wondered why - that was me and my eyes couldn't take the light at that point. I had to give my traveling partner the keys to the car because I couldn't see 20 feet in front of me.

After a quick stop at the local Walgreen's for eye drops, I was driven back to the hotel and took a 5-hour nap. Over that time, the eye irritation had decreased from severe to mild and finally went away by Sunday morning. And the congestion problems faded, as well. I don't think I would have made it to the awards ceremony without the 5-hour nap. And I only stayed at Grandma's for a couple hours before calling it a night.

Alas, my time -- 1:47:53 -- my second worst of the year on what's supposed to be my best race of the year. Since this was my second North Shore, I can only hope the 3rd time is the charm.

Sunday morning, I put my left pinky finger in a homemade splint to keep it immobile. Hopefully, the damage is minor and I can play volleyball again soon. But skating will be happening much sooner than volleyball.

Congrats to all of you who had a good race. I'm sure I'll be watching you skate off into the distance from one of the numbered waves next year.

Happy Trails,

Don Patton
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #20
The Major

Don,

Don't worry too much about your race time. I finished 4th in the Vets but our time was by far the slowest it's ever been. Conditions were not condusive for a personal best. Most of the skaters I've talked too were dissapointed about their times this year. When there's a strong head wind the times are going to be slower. Add the cold temps to that and it makes it even harder. The thing to think about is did you give your best effort under the circumstance? That's all that matters. It sounds like you did that so congratulations on a great race. Now you've got about 6 months to get ready for next season.
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote