S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old October 12th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #41
Code Monkey

Gees pancho ... I was reading along and then you chime in with the tailbone rub comment and I'm still laughing. Being a slow reader that was about fifteen minutes ago. Oh no here it comes again. Just the visual is to much because who hasn't seen speedy's tailbone.

Birgit, oh goddess of fire, you are awesome and I am glad you are on our side.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #42
panch0

Hey Code Monkey,

I thought the comment was funny but many didn't see it that way!

I apologize to Speedy for my comments or anyone else I offended. I made them in a humoristic manner as I thought we were in the same "frequency".

I often play around with friends and get carried away because I feel we have the same humor. I was mistaken to think I had the same humor as Speedy and I have gotten carried away... Speedy... I'm really sorry to offend you. I never got a clue that I was doing so.
panch0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #43
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
...I never got a clue that I was doing so.
Maybe the other times I warned you that you were over the line?

I apologize to the board, I initiated this in PM and had intended it to stay that way.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #44
speedysktr
President of Everything

In talking to Birgit and Jessica, I'm learning that they are wrestling with various issues about the event. Last year they didn't have chip timing and there were placement issues with the time trial. Clearly this is a large expense and would impact the event. If everyone could voice what they would like to see it may be helpful in the organizer's decision making process.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #45
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
I apologize to the board, I initiated this in PM and had intended it to stay that way.
Meh, you're not bothering us. Don't sweat it.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #46
streetsk8r

Birgit,

I'm in for a half marathon. I do like chip timing and am willing to pay for it. When you look at the big picture, gas, hotel, etc., what's an extra $ 25 or 30 bucks that we know goes 100% towards making a race better? Just a rounding error.

Thanks for your hard work.

I'm slow to finish but quick to start - RHCP
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #47
jaxskater

Stop The Press!!! None of this sounds right!

Brees was an elected citizen/member of the Hillsborough County Greenways Committee to represent inline skating (I was there during the votes). The Committee was tasked by the County Commission to obtain funding for the Hillsborough County trails system, and his efforts brought hundreds of thousands of dollars to public parks. So why is the County Ranger asking for more money from skaters to hold their own event at Flatwoods? Then again, why is a bicycle club (WTA) holding an event on County property charging skaters to skate there! None of this makes sense to me.

Brees, please e-mail me at: jaxskater@gmail.com

Obviously there's some wrong here, and the whole story isn't being told. I'd like to understand more.

If no-one else does, you have my respect and support!

JaxSkater
jaxskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #48
Jim White

Squiggy is a multi-sport fund raising event. Public parks everywhere can benefit from increased funding, because tax funding is limited and mostly decreasing. Money from Squiggy goes to the local Friends group to help support it; this is done across the USA, and beyond.

Skaters can skate the park for free (or normal park access charges) almost anytime. Only during this special event are they asked to pay, and it's for the event costs, not the park use.

The presses are not stopping. Birgit and crew are planning a major event, talking with everyone who has been and wants to be involved. This planning is being done with those who are planning Squiggy overall, because this isn't only a skating event. When plans are reasonably complete she'll let us know all the details (but not all the he-said, she-said which is revelant to neither skating or a worldwide audience).
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #49
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxskater View Post
Stop The Press!!! None of this sounds right!

Brees was an elected citizen/member of the Hillsborough County Greenways Committee to represent inline skating (I was there during the votes). The Committee was tasked by the County Commission to obtain funding for the Hillsborough County trails system, and his efforts brought hundreds of thousands of dollars to public parks. So why is the County Ranger asking for more money from skaters to hold their own event at Flatwoods? Then again, why is a bicycle club (WTA) holding an event on County property charging skaters to skate there! None of this makes sense to me.

Obviously there's some wrong here, and the whole story isn't being told. I'd like to understand more.

JaxSkater
JaxSkater, I do not know you, or at least I don't think so, who are you??? Show your face in this discussion, ok!!

There's nothing wrong here, I'm meeting with the Rangers and WTA tonight and I would really appreciate that before you start an "angry post" like the above, that you took the time to read what is going on!

The county is NOT ASKING for any more money than the previous years, and do me a favor read the mails or just PM me if there is anything that you are confused about.

The county is asking for $10 an event we put on and that is the same amount that they ask from the other events (biking, running etc). That money is staying within the park to make it an even greater place.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars thats an awfull lot of money, can you please show me the books where you got this number from. Just as a simple addition - there are about 5 full moonskates a year (plus minus) at each skate there would be around 20-40 skaters. Lets round up the numbers that equals about $1200 a year, how many years has the full moon skates been going on? 10? 15? Lets say 20 years just to be on the safe side thats about $25K, sooooooo please give me the figures that Breeze has given to the parks and also give me the source of your knowledge, I'm not saying that he didn't, all I'm asking is please prove what you are saying.

Since your above post is your first on this board, why don't you post a short introduction about you, that would be real nice.

And by all means, do keep asking questions and do keep finding reasons, but please read the whole thread or even better PM me to ask what is actually going on.

Skatelog, sorry for this!

And SQUIGGY is still on and its going to be on the terms that Jessica and I negotiate with the county tonight. Nothing is going to be hidden and there will be written minutes of all the meetings.

Happy skating and Jax, get in direct communication with me, would you?!? I'll be more than happy to bring you up to speed and for that, all I ask is your help to make Squiggy Inline Classic 2008 a totally spectacular event.
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #50
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Brigit wrote,
Quote:
And my name is spelled the scandinavian way "Birgit", thanks

Brigit, thanks for correcting my oversite, and thanks for not bringing fire and brimstone raining down on my pointed, skater helmeted head, oh Exhaulted One. Now we can get on with talking up and working to make Squiggy 2008 the best ever. Best wishes for you and Jessica in your meeting tonight. You go girl!

LezSk8!
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #51
jaxskater

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/parks/greenways/

Contribution for Skating should go to the County to support Skating, not a Bike Club.

That's all that is being said here....

Jaxskater
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #52
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
Brigit wrote,

Brigit, thanks for correcting my oversite, and thanks for not bringing fire and brimstone raining down on my pointed, skater helmeted head, oh Exhaulted One. Now we can get on with talking up and working to make Squiggy 2008 the best ever. Best wishes for you and Jessica in your meeting tonight. You go girl!

LezSk8!
You did it again "BIRGIT" is the spelling I was actually going to buy you a cup of coffee in exchange for your nice words - but now you owe me a huge amount of volunteer work.

Just so you know, you can't volunteer for Squiggy, you have just been volunteered

Well ok then, I'll still buy you a cup of coffee for your nice words - see you, if not before then at Squiggy 2008
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:33 PM   #53
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Birgit - what was the result of your meeting? I'm working on a tentative 08' race schedule for our new web site, just wondering what I should put there.

Tom
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM   #54
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
Birgit - what was the result of your meeting? I'm working on a tentative 08' race schedule for our new web site, just wondering what I should put there.

Tom
Funny you ask, I was just writing the last few lines on the official press release.

It was a very positive meeting, both WTA (Sharon Noll) and County (Joe Humble) are very very nice people and very helpful and accomodating - both Jessica and I were very happy with the meeting.

So put Squiggy Classic Inline 2008 on you calendar now - please

Here's a first draft, but be sure to check our web
It is not up-and-running yet, but will be very soon - I will post here when that happens (with in the next 2-3 weeks).

Friday: skate-in-the-dark
Saturday: Time trials, am
Sunday: +full marathon, am

And the dates are 7 + 8 + 9 March 2008, Tampa Florida.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:16 PM   #55
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Great - wonderful job you guys. When our new site goes live it will be on our 2008 list.

Tom
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #56
jaxskater

The whole story isn't being told. I'd like to understand more.

JaxSkater
Jacksonville, Florida
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #57
The General
Ninja Skater

Quote:

JaxSkater
Jacksonville, Florida

JaxSkater,

Breeze put in a lot of work in the past to keep the Bill Jackson skate and the Squiggy Inline Marathon going. It seems that others are putting in a lot of work to keep the race going on into the future. Why do you seem so intent on promoting scandal instead of promoting the continuation of the race. You're starting to sound like the media, to me; can't have news unless we can find a scandal, as well. Is it not possible to respect/support Breeze and also support the continuation of the Squiggy Inline Marathon?

Happy Trails,

Don Patton
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #58
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:

JaxSkater
Jacksonville, Florida
Jaxskater, you stated the exact same opinion at this log a few days ago, I asked you contact me so I could explain the whole story in all the detail that you need and want.

You choose not to contact me.

EVERYTHING IS BEING TOLD!

By all means come and attend our meetings, next meeting is 7 November 6pm at the ranger station in Flatwoods.

If you want to get in contact with Rick Ivory aka Breeze why don't you write him his email is thebreeze@skatetampa.com

But please contact me with your questions, I'm the one with the answers re. Squiggy.

Thanks in advance.

BR/Birgit

ps. This has NOTHING about respect and support. Rick aka Breeze was the one that choose not to put on the Squiggy 2008 - he backed out!!!

Jessica and I took over the planning of that event. How you can keep thinking that something is amiss because somebody else is keeping an event alive when the previous planning team backs out - thats a huge mystery to me. But do contact me or come to the meetings! and get your questions answered.
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #59
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
Is it not possible to respect/support Breeze and also support the continuation of the Squiggy Inline Marathon?
Great post General, and yes it is. Very possible!

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #60
Jim White

Quote:
Is it not possible to respect/support Breeze and also support the continuation of the Squiggy Inline Marathon?
I don't think that question can be answered based on what's been posted in this thread. Breeze's basic position, IMO, is his statement "We have the right to cancel". He certainly has the right to cancel his activity, but not what other people want to do. It surely is possible to respect him, regardless. But IF his position is that Squiggy inline should not continue, then IMO it's not possible to support both him and the continuation. (He is involved in other activities, and surely he can be supported in those.)
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote