S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old September 4th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Banning Users From the SkateLog Forum

Users of the SkateLog Forum need to note again that we do not discuss publicly, how specific problem users are being handled behind the scenes.

But here's some information...

Forum Users are especially likely to get banned if they say they don't care what the forum rules are, they will post anything they want.

Also... the SkateLog Forum disables the accounts of users who violate our forum guidelines, not users who post things other users might find offensive. It is sometimes tricky to decide what kind of posts should be outlawed vs. over-interfering with discussions and spirited debates in the forum.

We can't discuss a particular user's specific case, because problems with users are handled privately, but just know that we deal with problem posters as issues come up, and as other users report problems. And note that you have no way of knowing how we have dealt with problem users privately.

We do try to be consistent, and the best way to do that is to have specific forum guidelines, so we can determine when they have been violated. Of course we realize that is not always possible, because situations are not always black and white. Sometimes we have to take action against someone who is obviously just a troll. But we don't take an action like that lightly.

What kind of comments do you think should *absolutely* not be acceptable in the forum? And please think carefully before you reply, because the answer to that question is not as easy as it might seem.

Here are our current forum policies:
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; September 4th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Amefyst

The biggest one for me is the racist remarks....not a light thing in jest like calling me a canuck (I am!) but mean spirited, insulting remarks.
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I agree 100% Amefyst, racial and sexual orientation slurs are OUT.
Also OUT is any comment threatening or inciting violence.
And our "no copyright infringement" rules... those are not negotiable.

To those who think we are too lenient with some users... what else should we absolutely positively ban in the forum?

-Kathie
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #4
73watermutt
I skate in circles

politics and religion! Though it has not been too bad here but I have seen it get WAY out of hand in other forums.
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

I agree wholeheartedly with zero tolerance of rasict, sexist and homophobic comments.
One thing that springs to mind is the almost systematic bumping of items for sale with "pics added" or "price drop" I can understand dropping the price, but when the same items get the price dropped repeatedly it is obviously just to bump them. I like the sale forums but it is really annoying seeing the same items come up everytime you click on new posts.
I think most of the people who are on here a lot know what is for sale, and don't need to be reminded every day.
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #6
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with zero tolerance of rasict, sexist and homophobic comments.
One thing that springs to mind is the almost systematic bumping of items for sale with "pics added" or "price drop" I can understand dropping the price, but when the same items get the price dropped repeatedly it is obviously just to bump them. I like the sale forums but it is really annoying seeing the same items come up everytime you click on new posts.
I think most of the people who are on here a lot know what is for sale, and don't need to be reminded every day.
+1
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #7
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
One thing that springs to mind is the almost systematic bumping of items for sale with "pics added" or "price drop"
We configured (at least we though we configured) the buying and selling forums so threads would NOT get bumped to the top when replies were added. We intended that users could change the title or content of their posts and threads in those forums, but those actions would not bump the thread to the top

If threads are being bumped to the top of the pile when new posts are made in the buying and selling forums, I need to go in there and figure out why that is.

- Kathie
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #8
JustAmanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
We configured (at least we though we configured) the buying and selling forums so threads would NOT get bumped to the top when replies were added. We intended that users could change the title or content of their posts and threads in those forums, but those actions would not bump the thread to the top

If threads are being bumped to the top of the pile when new posts are made in the buying and selling forums, I need to go in there and figure out why that is.

- Kathie
Hmmm it seems to me it is configured that way....

Riedell 595's, DA45 Mag Avenger's
JustAmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #9
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

The complaint they are making is that when they select New Posts, they will see the response someone has made. It does not bump it to the top of the section, but it is a new post since they responded.
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #10
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
The complaint they are making is that when they select New Posts, they will see the response someone has made. It does not bump it to the top of the section, but it is a new post since they responded.
Yep.
Which is fine when it is another logger asking about an item etc.
But when it is the seller adding a new post just to say that they have added pics (which they should have done in the first post) or that they have dropped $5 off the price.....
If I'm interested I'll ask a question, if I think the price is to high I'll pm an offer.
I don't need them popping up like advertisements!
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #11
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
I don't need them popping up like advertisements!
Oh... now I see your point, and its a good one.

I wonder if there's a way in the vBulletin forum admin tools to override the "new post" feature in a particular forum. Somehow I doubt it, but I will look into it.

Is there some way we could handle the problem by setting a policy? No editing or adding to a for sale thread after you create it? Not sure that's realistic since people might need to edit for good reasons sometimes... typos or part of the items being sold. Sometimes they edit posts just to mark them as "sold" so we can delete them.

Any suggestions about the best way to handle this problem.?

- Kathie
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #12
!BEN_HER
VENTURA REXXXING SOCIETAS

Lightbulb Just a suggestion

How about disabling the POST REPLY feature in the For Sale Forum ......

They can PM only the seller.... This would end a lot of trouble....
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #13
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
Actually that's not a bad idea, if it is possible. At least it would eliminate all the "new post" alerts when the buyers are replying.

But how do we handle the even bigger problem of sellers promoting their "for sale" items by making endless edits to their posts... I'm not sure, but I think edits are also considered updates by the "new post" system.

- Kathie
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #14
the california kid

Default I think you are making a bigger deal out of this then needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Actually that's not a bad idea, if it is possible. At least it would eliminate all the "new post" alerts when the buyers are replying.

But how do we handle the even bigger problem of sellers promoting their "for sale" items by making endless edits to their posts... I'm not sure, but I think edits are also considered updates by the "new post" system.

- Kathie
If this is a problem for some......And it is clear here that it is.......Just ask sellers not to post on their own for sale threads unless they are answering a question.....or editing the original post.......this thread is basically asking sellers to do that without making changes to policy or to this software.......You make a big deal out of such a small thing. I already Deleted my last for sale thread because it moved up as a new posting......and moved most of my for sale items to one thread.....not a new one but combined them with a old one.....So they would NOT appear as a new thread.........And I am sure that this message is CLEAR to most of the forum.......I have always found it better to ask for something not force or demand it..... it get a better response......
the california kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #15
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Kathie, I don't think edits do come up as "new posts" at least not in the regular forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !BEN_HER View Post

They can PM only the seller.... This would end a lot of trouble....
The only down side I can see to this, is when someone asks for info like Duro of wheels etc. But this can be done via PM as well, of posted as a question in the appropriate forum.
It would certainly reduce a lot of the ill feeling and bickering.
Old September 5th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #16
Hot Lips

There is a lot of racist, sexist, homophobic and religiously biased language floating around this forum, which should not be tolerated. Prompt and visible action seems to be taken on ad hominem attacks, especially where the attacks are based on financial disputes, but I don't see the same kind of action being taken against people who engage in hate speech -- including those who habitually engage in such behaviour.

Frankly, this site is an increasingly unsafe space, and I'm participating less and less as a result of the slurs being directed at me and my people.
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 05:13 AM   #17
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
There is a lot of racist, sexist, homophobic and religiously biased language floating around this forum, which should not be tolerated.
When you see a problem, please report it to us.

Quote:
I don't see the same kind of action being taken against people who engage in hate speech
We have taken action against hate speech problems many more times then we have against the buying and selling problems, but it is done behind the scenes and you would probably not be aware of it.

People have different definitions of "hate speech" but racial, religious, and homophobic slurs are completely unacceptable.

Sexist language, toward men or women, is not as easy to police and judge, unless certain completely unacceptable words are used, but we will definitely look into all problems reported to us.

National slurs ("you crazy yanks always...", "aussies think they know everything about" etc) are also not as straight forward to police. Do our forum visitors think we should completely ban those sorts of comments from our forum?

- Kathie
Old September 5th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #18
the california kid

Default I never noticed that.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lips View Post
There is a lot of racist, sexist, homophobic and religiously biased language floating around this forum, which should not be tolerated. Prompt and visible action seems to be taken on ad hominem attacks, especially where the attacks are based on financial disputes, but I don't see the same kind of action being taken against people who engage in hate speech -- including those who habitually engage in such behaviour.

Frankly, this site is an increasingly unsafe space, and I'm participating less and less as a result of the slurs being directed at me and my people.
Not to be out of bounds here......But we are not talking about being a Derby Girl........Here?
No one should ever should attack someone here or there for who they are.......
the california kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #19
HK47
Roll Player

Sometimes its derby girls, or all women, or all Australians, or anyone who doesn't live in Arizona. In one instance someone basically went on a multi-page rant about all women being pathological liars, in another someone else repeatedly posted words to the effect of "you're wrong because you're a woman" ... it seeps in at the edges; one instance is easy to brush off so doesn't get reported, but when it's repeated day-in-day-out its annoying, and eventually insulting.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #20
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

What HK said is spot on, I was trying to think of a way to express the same sentiment.
It can quite often be the cumulative effect rather than one post, which makes it hard to report.

As for the "you Aussies" or "you Yanks" stuff, I think most of the time that is pretty light hearted, and when it's not it tends to get cleared up by the parties involved.
It would be very hard to police, and for my part it is mostly just a bit of fun.
I know I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to that stuff so it really doesn't bother me when it comes back on me.
The few times it has bothered me it's usually been a misunderstanding anyway.
Sometimes it gets a little tiresome, but I can live with that.