S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 29th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #1
AbsintheMinded
Total Noob!!

Red face Help with balance/forward skate motion??

Hey guys, I'm a beginner skater and with four or so lessons under my belt have still got the balance of a drunk 3 legged donkey. Have you guys got any tips for balance?? Also I am having trouble with the whole forward motion of skating especially up the slanted hill side of the rink, I keep tripping forward and stopping. What part of the foot do you use to push forward?? The back/side etc?? Needless to say I am not a natural, but I don't wanna give up!! Hoping I will improve with practice and beat those 7 years olds that are running loops around me lol.
AbsintheMinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:00 AM   #2
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

bend your knees and get your rear down. slalom around marks on the floor on two feet, and then on one. just takes some practice.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #3
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Stop drinking before training
Does your rink have an uphill section from the earthquake? or is it just a dodgy rink?
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #4
InlineWarehouse
InlineWarehouse.com

Default Keep the butt....

down, knees bent, and keep your arms out to the side a bit, but more to the front. This will help get some forward momentum when doing your skating motion.

When starting out, you have a choppy stride and are more upright, and it takes a little stride of faith to get it going. After pushing off, concentrate on keep that form as described above and not popping up and putting your wait back. If doing so, you'll bring yourself to stop each time rather than flowing forward.

Keep it up! Good luck!
InlineWarehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:37 AM   #5
AbsintheMinded
Total Noob!!

Default thanks guys,

Um I'm not sure about the earthquake thing, but I know the whole rink is on a slight slant but this is the only rink in an hour drive of me so yeah. I will be hitting the concrete as it gets in to Summer over here in NZ, have wheels for that too. Hopefully will get better. Hehe, na I just look like i'm drunk, not actually am, hehe
AbsintheMinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 01:53 PM   #6
SmileySk8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lZTzvdcuaA
SmileySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:38 PM   #7
emtdpf

I know that you can by pieces of equipment do help with your balance.....

skateboarders, have this thing that looks like a skateboard without wheels and trucks, and they balance on a wooden cylinder.

Other items I have seen are like heavy duty rubbery flat discs that inflat a bit and you balance your self on them....... kind of a core balance......

standing on one foot is always a good one.....

but a lot of the suggestions above are usually the main cause of balance lost......
bending knees is as mentioned above, solves a lot of balance problems...........
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:05 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Agree with Bill, Get Down

Hi Land of Hercules/Xena TV Shows

"bend your knees and get your rear down" from Bill

Practice sitting back on those skates like you are taking a potty.
Eventually you will stand taller and no one will notice the potty similarity.

Yours in Skating. MA/NY Skating Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:51 PM   #9
ursle
Street Skater

IMHO, put on some wrist guards, knowing you won't hurt yourself if you fall is half the battle.
Tuck your pelvis, tilt the back of it down and the front of it up, when they say crouch down that's what they mean, tuck the pelvis.
Just get your feet out from under you, leave them both on the ground and spread them out, one in front one in back, or to the sides, as you move them around you'll feel how you can accelerate by drawing your feet together and pushing them apart.
The more you bend your knees and ankles the more you can get your feet out from under you.
If your trucks are to tight they won't allow your skates to turn enough and you'll be stuck balanced on one skate or the other, then again if they are to loose you'll have a lack of stability.
The sooner you start skating back wards the better, to use your toe stops you have to be going back wards.
Don't practice falling, bad muscle(and mental) memory, it's one thing to practice landing on pads(knee & elbow), sliding and getting back on your feet while still moving it's quite another to unnaturally throw your self on the ground.
I'm assuming your on quads not in-lines.

Last edited by ursle; October 2nd, 2010 at 05:05 PM.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM   #10
online inline

skate a lot and do land drills.
You need to get comfortable on your skates and the advice given about getting low, paying attention to form, etc. are all going to help if you do them a lot.
Land drills will help you more than you know. Also called plyometrics. There are many of these you can do, and best intro primer is to go to Bont TV on their website and watch the videos. Or check out a book called "Speed on Skates" by Barry Publow ($20) which illustrates dozens of these. Land drills will improve you balance, your strength, and your skating mechanics. They have been described as a speed skaters 'secret weapon' for good reason.
Best of luck and remember to enjoy yourself.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #11
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Land Drills to us non Aussie/NZeal

Hi Again AbsintheMinded,

OnLine almost always gives great to good advice.

I am guessing that he means practice some of this stuff off skates on shoes, sneaks, or socks. Again only a guess to language translation across our world.

Balance is important, and you can do it any old time, and then again at skating at a much more difficult/enjoyable pace.

OK, Balance: On Shoes or Socks start to redo spins and jumps you used to do as a kid. I know, I know, you don't want to do it yet kids have a mojo we need to constantly copy.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics
Notice the wanting help. Geez I thought this reference would be easy
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #12
online inline

oh, my god, if there isn't enough plyometrics available on the internet, i don't know what is....
It's like misery loves company, so they are more than glad to dish it out for you to suffer through. Just go on u tube and search skating plyometrics. Of go to bont site like i said.
But really, best bet is to maximize your time on skates so as to learn the quickest. It's great if you can get a little instruction either through lessons or a class. A few plyometrics on top of that may help, but your biggest challenge now is to get used to skating, and proper guidance can greatly streamline the learning process by giving you things to focus on, helpful feedback, and a way to avoid picking up bad habits on skates.
Really, there's no better way than having someone who knows show you.
Also, skate behind someone who is really good, and copy everything about their form. And get a mental image of it so you can emulate it later on.
Old October 4th, 2010, 03:52 AM   #13
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileySk8s View Post
It works same idea indoor rink I go to the game room hold onto a game that has a bar handle just like that cart and practice my balance footwork etc in place it help me a lot.
Old October 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #14
inlinejinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
oh, my god, if there isn't enough plyometrics available on the internet, i don't know what is....
Just go on u tube and search skating plyometrics. Of go to bont site like i said.
o/i, I wonder if Bont TV has been removed. I can't get to it--all the links to BontTV seem to go to the Bont hompage. Is there some other way to get to it?
inlinejinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #15
online inline

not sure if it is there anymore, it appears that it may have been removed. But i did find after much digging their plyo workout from technical section. It required logging in first and getting into some pull down menus. Here's a link but not sure if ou can access it without logging into their site:
http://www.bont.com/news/featurearti...ndtraining.htm

the link above was under "Other Stuff" pull down menu, then enter: "Feature Articles", then select "Plyometrics, the Secret Weapon"
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #16
2old2sk8t

Thanks for that link OI.

IJ, Bont removed the Bont TV site several months back. Alex decided it wasn't worth paying the fees any longer (especially with their FaceBook site established).
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #17
bjvircks
Major Trouble

I've got a distantly related issue. I had been inline skating recreationally for a few years in high cuff 'small wheel' skates and in the last year went to lower cuff boot with 100mm. Now I'm on a low cuff carbon shell with 110mm.

I still find myself doing something deeply ingrained into me from decades of skiing and snowboarding. I notice that I am still trying to drive my shin forward into the boot tongue (as in skiing when you drive the ski tips). Anyway, I'm constantly needing to 'back off' and remind myself to more center my weight fore-aft on the skate and think of pushing thru wheel 3 instead of thru wheel 1. Needless to say, my front wheels wear quickly... but I'm getting better (plus frequent wheel rotation helps hide the severity of my problem)

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #18
ursle
Street Skater

It seems the OP lives up to their username, out of site out of mind
After exhaustive research I have decided the OP is a roller skater not an in-liner so I don't feel embarrassed about posting to the in-line forum,again

bjvirks, I'm almost embarrassed to call myself a softbooter, but only summers, I prefer rollerskating to in-lining, I condition on a bicycle, I stretch and flex on roller skates.
Anyway, roller skates come with high heels, (artistic), medium and no heels, I prefer the medium heeled skates so I can drop my but a bit and feel balanced, no heeled skates are fine but I find myself leaning foreword when I try to drop my hips and don't feel as balanced.
Applied to in-lines, well, doesn't apply, but I'm wondering if you were to put some sort of 1/2" shim under the heels of your insoles even though it seems counter intuitive, would it allow you to drop your but and get your weight on your rear wheels?
And to you I say, I'm jonsen for some step-in sidewinders
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #19
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
It seems the OP lives up to their username, out of site out of mind
Nahhhh, I bet he's just been enjoying too much Absinthe.

All my life I have had poor flexibility in my hips and hamstrings. This limits my ability to get low and have a good long push stroke. My boot won't allow much of a spacer inside so I'd need to shim between the boot and frame (angled shim most likely because of the amount of heel lift).

I'd kind of like to try some quads outside sometime. Seems like fun. Just nobody around here skates. Even inline folks are hard to find. Kind of like hardbooting in Kansas.

On a side(winder) note (to confuse the heck out of the locals here!)... I have the OK from wife to attend SES'11 !!! 1st time ever! 15 hr drive from here. I called a place I stayed at a few years ago... $250/nite. Ouch!