S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old May 12th, 2016, 05:33 PM   #1
District31

Default Balance... Really?

Hey all.

I've got some Riedell R3s and to be fair, I don't like them. The balance is... weird. It's all front loaded so I can't stand up and just cruise with them (or I'll fall over). I just feel the back wheels need to be a half inch (or more back).

Are they all designed like this? I keep wanting to stretch to my full height, but it doesn't seem possible in Derby skates. I'm always slightly crouched on them and always feeling like I'm about to fall on my ass whenever I even try to just coast...

Maybe I made a mistake in buying them and wanted some feedback. Right now they're OK, but I'm not really getting on with them.

Edit: these are speed skates and maybe I just need to learn to skate on them all over again.
District31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

Looking at pictures of the R3, I notice that if you tie them up all the way they might lock your ankles up, I'd try them with an eyelet or two not tied, as far as axle placement, they don't look any more forward than an art skate (not forward at all), so, wrist guards until you're comfortable on them, and, loosening the action a bit so they can turn might be a good start.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #3
Trixton

Odd, the R3s look pretty far back to me, which exact package did you get? I started on skates that were mounted slightly further forward than the R3s and felt they were way too far back. I now use a short forward mount (look it up if you don't know what that is). It's a bit different than the traditional standard mount, but I can skate with much better form and technique now. If you find yourself falling backwards while standing upright, stagger your feet so you don't fall backwards. Are you just doing regular session skating in them or some particular discipline? EDIT: this is the outdoor forum so probably outdoor skating lol

Last edited by Trixton; May 13th, 2016 at 05:28 AM.
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:39 PM   #4
District31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixton View Post
Odd, the R3s look pretty far back to me, which exact package did you get? I started on skates that were mounted slightly further forward than the R3s and felt they were way too far back. I now use a short forward mount (look it up if you don't know what that is). It's a bit different than the traditional standard mount, but I can skate with much better form and technique now. If you find yourself falling backwards while standing upright, stagger your feet so you don't fall backwards. Are you just doing regular session skating in them or some particular discipline?
To be honest I feel like I'm learning to skate all over again.

I was so unsteady on them today (first time out) I really didn't feel super secure. They're heavy, they're not amazing at turning, and they're just not as good as even a cheaper pair of boots I've had in the past.

The wheels are pretty good, though.

I kinda thought I'd have to learn to skate all over again. Put it this way, I wasn't going backwards or doing anything other than skating in circles - quite pathetic, actually. LOL
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:43 PM   #5
District31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Looking at pictures of the R3, I notice that if you tie them up all the way they might lock your ankles up, I'd try them with an eyelet or two not tied, as far as axle placement, they don't look any more forward than an art skate (not forward at all), so, wrist guards until you're comfortable on them, and, loosening the action a bit so they can turn might be a good start.
I'll try that tomorrow. They weren't super expensive but they get such great reviews, but not sure I bought the right skates for me...
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #6
Trixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by District31 View Post
I'll try that tomorrow. They weren't super expensive but they get such great reviews, but not sure I bought the right skates for me...
Yeah I think it might be the skate more than the mount position. Before you loosen your trucks, go ahead and replace the cushions with something better than stock if you decide to stick with those skates. What plate and wheels do you have on them?
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 08:48 AM   #7
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixton View Post
Yeah I think it might be the skate more than the mount position. Before you loosen your trucks, go ahead and replace the cushions with something better than stock if you decide to stick with those skates. What plate and wheels do you have on them?
Powerdyne Thrust plates most likely, with Radar Cayman wheels.

Thats what comes stock anywhoo.
http://www.roller.riedellskates.com/...ProductName=R3

Sure grip super yellows, throw those in there.

Im a big believer in its the skater not the skates, just give yourself time, it'll come back.

Alot of people will tend to trash most plastic setups. Thatt plate though is prone to breaking here recently. I believe a bad batch/run was made. I had necer seen a broken thrust baseplate until 2 months ago, 2 skaters I know locally both have breaks in theirs. Neither are abusive IMO. to their gear. The breaks were betqeen the kingpin and the toestop. One between the pivot cup and the kp, and the other through the pivot cup area.