S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old April 18th, 2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Tarninou

Default Opinion on big wheels to hang around

Hi.

I'm not here to get advice to choose wheels, I like to do my own successes and mistakes, so I already bought 8 70 mm kryptonits wheels. I haven't tested them yet, as a beginner I try to master the basis before.

But I'd like to have some opinions about what I can wait for when I'll use them. I purchase larger wheels mostly to go for a "hike" on wheels.

I read a lot of posts about it but it seems that the ones of you who use large wheels mostly do that for downhill or speed. Is it good for hanging around ? It'll probably be harder to move, but is there a huge difference for tuning fr exemple ?

I also saw that some are cutting the wheels to make them narrower, is that an obligation ?

Thanks by advance.
Tarninou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2019, 11:24 AM   #2
CNQuadSkater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarninou View Post
Hi.

I'm not here to get advice to choose wheels, I like to do my own successes and mistakes, so I already bought 8 70 mm kryptonits wheels. I haven't tested them yet, as a beginner I try to master the basis before.

But I'd like to have some opinions about what I can wait for when I'll use them. I purchase larger wheels mostly to go for a "hike" on wheels.

I read a lot of posts about it but it seems that the ones of you who use large wheels mostly do that for downhill or speed. Is it good for hanging around ? It'll probably be harder to move, but is there a huge difference for tuning fr exemple ?

I also saw that some are cutting the wheels to make them narrower, is that an obligation ?

Thanks by advance.
Get used to it, everything is not a problem.
I used 75mm wheels for speed、downhill、jamskating.
CNQuadSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2019, 01:17 PM   #3
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

70mm will not be so big that they'll be slow for recreational skating. They will be fine.

I have a set of 70mm longboard wheels on my outdoor skates and they're the only wheels I use outdoors. So they cover both speed/distance skating and relaxed recreational skating.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2019, 01:19 PM   #4
wired

Kryptonics Route 70 are my favorite outdoor wheel. Big soft and give me a workout due to weight. As long as you are "hiking" on some sort of pavement they should do fine.

I'd only cut them down if I wanted to shave the weight but hey, I want the exercise!

Old April 18th, 2019, 02:26 PM   #5
Tarninou

Yes, I'll "hike" on solid surfaces (I just wasn't sure to find the right word in English, but I surely won't go into gravel ways or things like that).

Also glad to know that the cutting is "optionnal". And yes I took "only" 70mm because I wasn't sure the wheels won't touch the plate in 80mm and I wanted a "compromise". I also try to slow my "geek" nature, (I can't skate bacwards or correctly stop and already wants all kind of wheels and stuff...). So 70mm seemed the reasonnable thing beetween "I want plenty of cool big stuff" and "Forget it I won't use any of that".

Thanks for your replies guys, they confirm what I thought about these wheels.
Old April 18th, 2019, 03:24 PM   #6
ursle
Street Skater

I'd advise that you might try smaller wheels, 48-55 just to gain confidence, small wheels spin up fast and make small turns, they are a blast and will shorten your time as a beginner.
Larger wheels are nice, as long as they aren't heavy, and you like to go in a straight line.
As an outdoor skater I moved to ceramic bearings because more than once when caught in the rain...steel bearings siezed up and made me walk.

Honestly, if you want speed get on inlines.
Old April 18th, 2019, 04:37 PM   #7
Tarninou

I'm not looking particulary for speed for know. I currently have my quads monted with 62x38 mm wheels, and I learn with them, mostly indoor.

When I said that I bought those wheels i should have said: I additionaly bought those wheels...
Old April 18th, 2019, 04:46 PM   #8
fierocious1

Your plate and large wheels may collide, depending on deck height.
Old April 18th, 2019, 09:51 PM   #9
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Kryptonics Route 70 are my favorite outdoor wheel.
Mine should be on my front porch right now from FedEx. Blue ones. My only concern is tripping myself with overlapping wheels between my feet. I think they will stick out and this may be why people are trimming them.

I am currently skating on 65mm Radar Energy wheels. They come narrow and I still hit them together but never crashed because of it. If the 70s are dangerous I just go back to the 65s. Except for the occasional perfectly shaped rock I really love the Energy wheels.
Old April 19th, 2019, 02:18 AM   #10
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Mine should be on my front porch right now from FedEx. Blue ones. My only concern is tripping myself with overlapping wheels between my feet. I think they will stick out and this may be why people are trimming them.

I am currently skating on 65mm Radar Energy wheels. They come narrow and I still hit them together but never crashed because of it. If the 70s are dangerous I just go back to the 65s. Except for the occasional perfectly shaped rock I really love the Energy wheels.
Cutting the faces off reduces weight. My wheels were 85mm with large radiused corners that made for a narrower footprint and very fat overhanging faces on the wheels. After cutting them down to 73mm the footprint widened and then cutting the faces flat with the hubs, lost a lot of weight. Light weight and a wide footprint with a narrower wheel was the goal, I got what I wanted by cutting extra large wheels down
Old April 20th, 2019, 02:03 AM   #11
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Cutting the faces off reduces weight. My wheels were 85mm with large radiused corners that made for a narrower footprint and very fat overhanging faces on the wheels. After cutting them down to 73mm the footprint widened and then cutting the faces flat with the hubs, lost a lot of weight. Light weight and a wide footprint with a narrower wheel was the goal, I got what I wanted by cutting extra large wheels down
Skateboard/longboard wheels? My quads have narrow bearing spacing compared to my longboard wheels. Is there a fix for that?

Do you have any YouTube vids of your lathing the wheels?

I skated my Route 70s today first time and I don't care about the extra weight, only the wheel overlap that may trip me up.

Thanks
Old April 20th, 2019, 02:17 AM   #12
fierocious1

Quote:
Skateboard/longboard wheels? My quads have narrow bearing spacing compared to my longboard wheels. Is there a fix for that?

Do you have any YouTube vids of your lathing the wheels?

I skated my Route 70s today first time and I don't care about the extra weight, only the wheel overlap that may trip me up.

Thanks
Some large wheels have the correct spacing. Zombie hawgs have slightly wider spacing. Never did a video on cutting the big wheels down, jus 63mm indoor wheels
Old April 20th, 2019, 03:06 AM   #13
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Some large wheels have the correct spacing. Zombie hawgs have slightly wider spacing. Never did a video on cutting the big wheels down, jus 63mm indoor wheels
OK, thanks.
Old April 20th, 2019, 07:32 AM   #14
HeBeGB

Default Bigger can be better. ;)

Personally I have found that bigger wheels make bumps, sticks and stones into smaller inconveniences when outdoor skating. Even skating on grass or really bad surfaces is easier. I like 78a and 88a in a 70mm wheel, or 88a in a 78mm wheel. I find they work well for me. Getting plates that can handle these properly can be a problem.
Old April 21st, 2019, 08:49 AM   #15
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Personally think a Atom Poison wheel 62x38 is about the best wheel around the 60$ mark for all around outdoor. Not the new savants, the older ones with the smaller cores and bit more urethane.

They handle just about any conditions outdoors very well. They are considerably lighter than other 70X40's and you wouldnt need a lathe or someone to cut down say a set of zombie hawgs to get the weight reasonable.

The wide version at 62x44 is great too, but on crack that hit across the entire wheelbase, they will hang up in there much easier than a narrower wheel would. That's why I recommend the narrowed ones, they dont clip each other as easily either .

Roll line makes a wheel called heliums, and they arent worth the cost in comparison. Urethane quality is not as goodx hib is too big, urethane too thin.

The turning is virtually the same with the biggest influence being that you need clearance between the wheels and the boots to make a sharp turn, big wheels reduce this clearance soo..you may have to step more than use the plates action at times.
Old April 21st, 2019, 02:24 PM   #16
ursle
Street Skater

Sorry mort, blackballing the 64 height heliums don't float.

The best thing about the wheels is the hub, its hugh, there's hardly any urethane, no urethane to absorbe energy, no urethane dead weight to drag around.

The second best thing is the urethane, it's sticky and outdoors fast yet it rolls over debris.

The price is fair for a quality roll-line product.

I prefer the heliums, and have lots of wheels to chose from.

If you want to go fast on skates, get inlines.

If you want to go fast, get on a bicycle.

If you want to have fun outdoors on roller skates, get roll-line heliums, and bones ceramic bearings.
Old April 21st, 2019, 07:13 PM   #17
Joey

Skated a 1/2 marathon on my new Route 70 wheels. They do seem faster and the larger wheel overlap between the two skates seems to me a non-issue. I bumped wheels together 3x (as I always do on smaller wheels as well) during 14 mile session but no tripping at all. I was really concerned about that seeing how I tend to bump my skates together now and then.

Last edited by Joey; April 21st, 2019 at 09:23 PM.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2019, 07:27 PM   #18
wired

Quote:
Skated a 1/2 marathon on my new Route 70 wheels. They do seem faster and the larger wheel overlap between the two skates seems to me a non-issue. I bumped wheels together 3x (as I always do on smaller wheels as well) during 14 mile session but no tripping at all. I was really concerned about that seeing how I tend to bump my skates together now and then.
Congratulations!

I have found that bumping wheels due to width isn't a big problem. Your mind adjusts quickly...

Was this a timed event with other skaters/runners/walkers?

Old April 21st, 2019, 09:24 PM   #19
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks!

Quote:
I have found that bumping wheels due to width isn't a big problem. Your mind adjusts quickly...
Worry for nothing.

Quote:
Was this a timed event with other skaters/runners/walkers?
Nope. I use a GPS watch and post data on Endomondo.com. They have a free level of membership if you want to look around.

https://www.endomondo.com/profile/35663751
Old April 22nd, 2019, 04:06 AM   #20
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Sorry mort, blackballing the 64 height heliums don't float.

The best thing about the wheels is the hub, its hugh, there's hardly any urethane, no urethane to absorbe energy, no urethane dead weight to drag around.

The second best thing is the urethane, it's sticky and outdoors fast yet it rolls over debris.

The price is fair for a quality roll-line product.

I prefer the heliums, and have lots of wheels to chose from.

If you want to go fast on skates, get inlines.

If you want to go fast, get on a bicycle.

If you want to have fun outdoors on roller skates, get roll-line heliums, and bones ceramic bearings.
The hub is "ok" at best. I've had many different wheels outdoors, ranging from 80A to 90A plastic and aluminum hubs.

The urethane on the roll line heliums is not that good at all. The hubs precision is the only good thing(very nice bores) about the wheels. The urethane interlocks on those wheels reduce the urethane thickness in many spots which makes it too thin. The compression across the urethane gets too much force and the compressive wave is disrupted. If they increased the urethane thickness to about double what it is, then there wouldn't as much of a dead feeling. Interlocking rings too close to the OD of the wheel is bad. It wouldnt be as much of an issue if the hub was just round, however then the wheel would eventually come apart from delamination as all plastic hubs seem to get.

Maybe I should strip the urethane and convince Scott to put his own on them and make a nice 70mm wheel out of them in about 78 to 82A. Then they might be worth a damn.

The narrower width and slightly taller height is what makes them roll over things easier. Hell I'd rather use roadhogs than heliums.

If you like heliums that's fine, but theres much better wheels out there. Roll line is not the top choice when speaking of outdoor wheels.