S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old June 16th, 2019, 05:37 PM   #1
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Default Recommendations for bicycle computers?

I'd like to pace my skating group on my bicycle and I'd like to know if folks here have monitoring equipment they'd recommend for or against.

I'd like a large display for most easy/quick reading. I use 1.5 or 2.0 reading glasses and do not wish to ride with bifocal sunglasses. Except for using readers... vision is pretty darned good.

I do not want to use my smartphone, period. I do not want a 'watch'.

Is speed alone a good guide for pacing skaters or would power be better?

I'd be both pulling and following the line as training needs dictate. Being able to download data to standard training app on notebook would be strong plus.

My local bikeshop shows products from the following brands in their online catalog. Cateye, Lezyne, MSW, Origin8, Planet Bike, Shimano, Sigma, Specialized
Old June 16th, 2019, 10:51 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

Do you not have a cell phone signal?
Do you have a gps signal?
Old June 17th, 2019, 12:26 AM   #3
bjvircks
Major Trouble

both are very good.
Old June 17th, 2019, 10:32 PM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

The Garmin Explorer is a lower priced GPS bike computer. It will take heart rate info, but not power. It can take speed and cadence sensors, but can do gps speed. I had been looking at all of this. Pretty dizzying. And expensive. The Explorer is good for its' price. $250. The screen is nicely responsive, vs slow, and of course, you get mapping. It has a fairly unique ability to remap on the fly that most units cannot do. It sits price wise and feature wise between the high end do more than you need stuff, and the more basic units.
Old June 17th, 2019, 10:57 PM   #5
bjvircks
Major Trouble

do you mean Garmin EDGE explore?

do you have any personal direct experience with it? (you or someone you ride with)

how tall are the characters that display speed?
Old June 17th, 2019, 11:22 PM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
do you mean Garmin EDGE explore?

do you have any personal direct experience with it? (you or someone you ride with)

how tall are the characters that display speed?
I was at the bike shop, and I had been looking at different stuff for WEEKS. So, just before walking out, they had just worked on my bike, I asked for a more basic GPS unit. It might be the edge explore. Verify by the price, as the other Garmin units jump up in price from there.

My desire for a basic GPS unit was, I have multiple bikes. I don't want to fuss with wireless sensors on a bunch of different bikes and one head unit. I want to use the unit on multiple bikes with ease. That kind of mandated GPS and not sensor speed. And this Garmin was the lowest cost.

The characters are pretty big. Good for old eyes. And you get a phone app in which you can rearrange what is displayed. Type gets bigger as you display less.

I don't have it yet. I asked them so I could then do some research. A good starting point. Looks good. I'll likely get that unit here shortly.
Old June 18th, 2019, 12:22 AM   #7
bjvircks
Major Trouble

thx for feedback
Old June 18th, 2019, 12:46 AM   #8
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
thx for feedback
You're welcome.
Old July 27th, 2019, 10:09 PM   #9
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

So, did you ever get the bike computer? I finally relented and ponied up the $$$ for the computer and heart rate monitor. I used it yesterday. The type was just readable with 5 lines of data. Today I changed it to just 3 lines. The type is bigger this way. Speed, heart rate, and clock. I did configure a second screen, also with just 3 items, but, I don't think I'd even use it.
Old July 28th, 2019, 05:43 PM   #10
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
So, did you ever get the bike computer? I finally relented and ponied up the $$$ for the computer and heart rate monitor. I used it yesterday. The type was just readable with 5 lines of data. Today I changed it to just 3 lines. The type is bigger this way. Speed, heart rate, and clock. I did configure a second screen, also with just 3 items, but, I don't think I'd even use it.
Uh.... no. The type didn't get bigger. That was a feature of the Wahoo Element Bolt. I'll be taking the Garmin back.
Old July 28th, 2019, 07:54 PM   #11
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Uh.... no. The type didn't get bigger. That was a feature of the Wahoo Element Bolt. I'll be taking the Garmin back.
Hang on. You CAN really change the screen around. Download an IQ app to really change things up.

So, natively, you can't get bigger type. But with a (usually) free add on, you can do cool stuff.