S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Group Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Skates Discussions about night skates, organized skate tours, skating party weekends, and similar group social skating events.

Old March 15th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #21
skatedad775
right back where i startd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaman View Post
No no no....you didn't throw up until you got jammed up behind Tubby for about the 300th time that night.
Man that guy was unreal...i dont know what the heck he thought he was doing there
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #22
Joeypole
I Like Skateboards!!

First Saturday of the month with a lot of skaters coming up.

Good weekend to attend.
Joeypole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:07 PM   #23
Agawam_rollaway_skater
▒★USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeypole View Post
First Saturday of the month with a lot of skaters coming up.

Good weekend to attend.
I'm on the fence at the moment. It's a three hour plus run for me down. Also, it might be slighly nerve racking to skate elbow to elbow with so many other skaters.That's something I've never done. Will have to make a decision by 6:00 pm. Maybe yes. Maybe no...
Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:16 PM   #24
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Go at least Once

Hi Agawam_rollaway_skater,

Well you should at least go one time. I haven't been yet, yet plan to visit on a future trip to Philly. Many I know from the Boston area have been down to skate here, including at least one group trip that included a stop in NYC Central Park

BTW, you should come at least once to Skateland in Bradford, MA and meet the Gang.

To me it does not look that crowded.

Hope you went, Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Edit-01: Geez bad original sentence

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; April 2nd, 2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Fixing sentence one
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:50 PM   #25
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

I love the session.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:22 AM   #26
teiaperigosa

my biggest beef with that place is that they dont even have a water fountain/ water coolers.

honestly, thats enough to affect my decision to go or not. i sweat and like to replenish and not have to keep asking the bartender for a little plastic cup of water... i guess they make money off bottled water

been only twice...second time a fight almost broke out btwn what looked like a group of hoods, and another group of hoods (security and associates)... but cant say i saw for sure what went down.

both times, i was rather unimpressed by the music/dj and the flashy lighting

edit: oh yea, not to mention the fight seemed to jump off after some were clowning around with water bottles/water on the floor...smh

nice floor though...

id rather stick to Branch brook, crazylegs, cp, riverbank or anywhere else that has free water...
teiaperigosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #27
Agawam_rollaway_skater
▒★USA

In the spirit of honesty, I'm slightly intmidated by what I've heard about it being so crowded. I'm naturally claustrophobic and that many folks flying around freaks me out a bit I've decided my best bet would be NOT to go on the first weekend of the month but rather a Saturday midmonth when it's less intense. Also, I'd wanna use beater skates. I'm terribly o.c. about my equipment and would freak if an of my vintage stuff got damaged in any way Anyway, I'll suck it up and come down within the next two weeks. I'll be the tall guy on rentals looking like a deer in the headlights
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #28
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default I want to go...

I keep thinking about going, it would be no prob getting there on a Sat night, I don't mind the drive, but the ride home would be killer at 4 hours +.

I love the atmosphere and vibe. I have seen the RJ videos on youtube, and when it is packed it reminds me alot of what Chez Vous is like when it is packed on a Sunday night. Small floor, lots of people dodging people. Big difference is RJ is 1000 times nicer venue and the music is house vs hip hop.
pjmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #29
Joeypole
I Like Skateboards!!

RollerJam is not for the timid, that is true. It really is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Sometimes you have to back off and slow down as the floor does get crowded, very crowded at times. Then most of us come off the floor and BS, maybe have a drink or what not.

It does clear up from time to time. Don't be intimidated. It does take some time to get used to it, but it is loads of fun. You have to pay attention at all times!!!
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #30
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Other Skates f/Skateland too

Hi Agawam,
pjmariner too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agawam_rollaway_skater View Post
In the spirit of honesty, I'm slightly intmidated by what I've heard about it being so crowded. o - o but rather a Saturday midmonth when it's less intense. Also, I'd wanna use beater skates. I'm terribly o.c. about my equipment and would freak if an of my vintage stuff got damaged in any way Anyway, I'll suck it up and come down within the next two weeks. I'll be the tall guy on rentals looking like a deer in the headlights
You also better get other good skates before coming over to Skateland. Depending on the crowd and how fast we have to weave around someone on a chain skate, clicking wheels or the wall sometimes happen. Skaters can show their brush burns.

pjmariner, Ask John or tall Jimmy or that tall thin gal that we sometimes chase or - - Michele, Paul, , , about the next time they plan to go on down. They have done it at least 2 to 3 times that I know about and make a weekend of it. You might enjoy and my guess is that they will go again soon. There are a few places you could leave your car for the weekend and they could pick you up.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Edit-01: pjmariner There is an Huge Outlet mall very close to this place on the NJ side. Don't remember the name yet I know about where it is on my drive on back from Philly. If you bring down your wife she could Shop while you Skate.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; April 5th, 2011 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Huge Outlet Mall Near By in Jersey
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #31
Joeypole
I Like Skateboards!!

For free water I will pass on this crowd. The thing that scares me is the jumping twirling people. I know you guys are good, but when I'm coming into a turn at a high rate of speed and you jump and flop your arms around causing me to flat spot a set of $130 wheels I'm not happy.

RollerJam does get packed and it is smaller, but it is no where near this.

Branch Brook Video
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #32
Agawam_rollaway_skater
▒★USA

Quote:
For free water I will pass on this crowd. The thing that scares me is the jumping twirling people. I know you guys are good, but when I'm coming into a turn at a high rate of speed and you jump and flop your arms around causing me to flat spot a set of $130 wheels I'm not happy.

Branch Brook Video
Holy crap! That place is insane! I wonder how many leave on stretchers over the average weekend?....
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #33
teiaperigosa

that was a niiice move @ 0:06

and ive only heard of this flat spotting ur wheels thing online... all i see is stride, glide, slide...

is it a wheel thing? what kind of wheels are prone to this? im using bones artistic 97a 57mm.. they seem on the softer side...maybe im just not powersliding hard enough? they do wear unevenly, but they seem round and i just rotate them every once in a while

or maybe dance/freestyle skaters are just less concerned about keeping grooves? like might as well keep flat spotting and hope it evens out? lol
teiaperigosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #34
Tuesday Girl

I love the nice big sign at RJ "ALL SKATING IS AT YOUR OWN RISK". We have this posted at our rink as well, but it's as if the owners don't make that understood to the novice skaters. They whine and cry about the fast regular skaters. Skating with good fast skaters that weave in and out of people is also "SKATING AT YOUR OWN RISK". What don't they get about that? So we get chastised for the sake of the whiners in the rink owner's hope that they will come back and give them more business. And who is there every week?

What about RJ rink? Do the owners get after the skaters for skating fast?

And Branch Brook Park....that looks insane. Our Thursday R&B nights came get almost like that. Maybe not quite as packed, but then I haven't been on a R&B Thursday adult night for awhile because I don't get the music!!
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:40 AM   #35
ccblazin

Quote:

Branch Brook Video
Hey i shot that video! Thats a 1st Thursday session cant get enough of them...
ccblazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:13 PM   #36
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:

Branch Brook Video
Reminds me of Shake-N-Bake in Balitmore on a Sunday...except there are more people at Shake-N-Bake. Used to love it!