S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old February 19th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #1
speedysktr
President of Everything

Default Detroit Marathon??? Anyone heard anything?

Title pretty much says it all. Has anyone heard if the Detroit Inline Marathon on Belle Isle will be a repeat this year? I hope so. It was a little sketchy on how it was handled, but I'd go again. Every race counts and every first time event can be a little challenging. People need to participate to make it worth the efforts.

Last edited by speedysktr; February 19th, 2007 at 07:24 PM.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Glenn Koshi

Default Detroit Marathon??? Anyone heard anything?

This race is scheduled to happen again this year.

I plan on being there again, and bringing some of my team out. You can get info here: http://www.wolverinespeedskatingteam...hon/index.html

Help support this race. Don't forget that the same weekend are races in Indiana within driving distance (http://www.thegreatrace.net/index.html), so this makes for a nice weekend of skating. My team loved the races, and are looking forward to returning. See you there!

Glenn Koshi
Bont Skates

Last edited by Glenn Koshi; February 19th, 2007 at 07:23 PM.
Glenn Koshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #3
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

I certainly plan on doing both races, Belle Isle and Elkhart. Might even try to go watch the Inianapolis 500.
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #4
skaterdog

Cool....I'll be there again. Let's see if we can get a big turnout.
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #5
speedysktr
President of Everything

I should be able to round up a handful this time.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Glenn Koshi

Wow, thanks for the support of this (and ANY) race!

Here is their press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT INFORMATION:
Catherine Astalos
Event Chair
Wolverine In-Line Marathon
Wolverine Sports Club
313-617-7511
castalos@aol.com

The Motor City will be cruising Belle Isle on wheels instead of cars at the 2nd Annual Wolverine In-Line Marathon!

DETROIT – (April 12, 2006) -- The Wolverine In-Line Marathon, hosted by the Wolverine Sports Club, will be held on Belle Isle Park, in Detroit, Michigan on Saturday, May 26th at 7:45AM. The marathon, in conjunction with the 44th Annual Wolverine 200 cycling challenge, will feature a variety of events for athletes of all ages and abilities.

Skaters will enjoy a racing course that spans the entire length of Belle Isle Park. With an occasional breeze, plenty of protection from the wind, and ever-changing view, from wooded landscape to river, to the skyline of Detroit, Belle Isle Park is the perfect setting for the in-line marathon.

The participants, which include recreational and professional in-line skaters, can race in the full 26.2 mile marathon, the 13.1 half marathon. For biathlon athletes, we present a great challenge to complete both the in-line marathon and the 200 mile bike tour which begins directly following the in-line marathon events.

In addition, this is the only time each year that Belle Isle Park allows camping on the Island. It’s a tradition that so many people look forward to doing each year. The fun starts Friday, May 25 at 6PM on Belle Isle and continues through 10PM Saturday, May 26.

“The addition of the In-Line Marathon in combination with the 44th Annual Wolverine 200, has turned an exciting corner in terms of participation and enthusiasm for the day long event on Belle Isle Park,” said John Zielke, newly named President of Wolverine Sports Club. “The infusion of energy that the in-line event is adding is being reflected in the excitement we are seeing in hundreds of in-line skaters, recreational and otherwise all over the Motor City .”

“The Wolverine In-Line Marathon is already catching on with some of the top skaters the world, including many from Team Bont North America who are expected at the event and we couldn’t be more excited to have them”, said event chair, Catherine Astalos. “We are grateful to Glenn Koshi from Bont who has consulted us in an effort to make this one of the premier in-line marathon events in the country. We have taken our inaugural experience and have learned from the growing pains and are confident that this year will be bigger and better than ever.”

“There has been an outpouring of support in and around Detroit and beyond. They have embraced the true spirit of the event: be healthy, enjoy the outdoors, appreciate the accomplishment of completing a marathon, and above all, have fun!” , said Astalos.

In-line marathons are the hottest fitness trend, and in-line skating is one of America’s most popular sports with more than 20 million participants. These events have grown to attract skaters of all abilities who enjoy the thrill of training and the rush of skating at speeds up to 35 mph with thousands of new friends.

Athletes from other sports are joining in by the dozens from sports such as cycling, running and XC skiing to try marathon skating. Runners like it because it is not as jarring on the joints while skiers tend to use it as a great way to cross-train. Meanwhile, cyclists enjoy the pack-like style of skating similar to riding on the road. For most, this will be their first marathon.

For more information or to register for the event, go to www.wolverinespeedskatingteam.com.

ABOUT WOLVERINE SPORTS CLUB:
Wolverine Sports Club was founded in 1888 well before the advent of the automobile. A sports club with a long-standing tradition of excellence and personal achievement, the Wolverine Sports Club is dedicated to promoting cycling, ice speedskating and cross-country skiing at all levels. Made up of fitness enthusiasts, amateur and elite athletes of all ages, the club sponsors family events, training, and conditioning sessions and competitions. The proud legacy of Wolverine Champions includes professional athletes such as Connie Paraskevin-Young, (four time World Champion and 1988 Olympic bronze medalist), and Sheila Young (three time World Speedskating Champion), who collected three medals, including one gold in the 1976 Winter Olympics for the US Speedskating Team. Most recently, Wolverine John Coyle pocketed a silver medal in the 1994 Winter Games for Team USA in speedskating. Frank Andreu, who competed in 9 Tour de France races, including the two US Postal Team victories in 1999 and 2000 with Lance Armstrong. World-class athletes including Sue Novara-Reber (two time World Champion) are also Wolverine Cycling Champions. Committed to helping each individual achieve their highest level of personal competence and fostering a lifelong fitness among its members, the Wolverine’s sponsor year-round athletic programs. WSC is a 501c3 non-profit organization. To learn more, go to www.wolverinespeedskatingteam.com or www.lmb.org/wsc.

Glenn
Glenn Koshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #7
wheelyquik

Default detroit marathon

I think it's great that Cathy and the group got Belle Isle going again. I remember skating it every year when I was just coming up in the skating world. It was inspiring to watch Chad, Cheryl, Julie and all the big guns. I'll always support my hometown even if there are some shaky starts and some challenging parts of the course. There are never guarantees of smooth sailing in outdoor racing. That's what is so great about it. Besides, now that most of us have monster truck wheels, we should be able to run over anything! Right?
Well, the lead men's pack had trouble shaking me off last year...let's see what this year's crop of guies will do.
wheelyquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #8
The Major

And don't forget to head down to Elkhart, IN for the Great Race. There will be a 10K on Sunday and a half Marathon on Monday. The half is a great course through the Amish countryside. Don't miss it.
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #9
ActiveBarbie

I really enjoyed this race last year. Weather was perfect, great spectator course and overall course is excellent. I don't think anyone was left out at the awards. Hope to see all that raced last year and some new faces.

Mechele Busby
Team Bont North America/Rudy Project
ActiveBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote