S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old August 28th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #21
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
That is definitely in the weird category.
at the time, it was more like the OH SH*T category.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #22
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default "Passing" As the Call Out

Hi ALL,

I like BWI-Sheldon's approach and will have to remember it.

"Passing" should make them stop or just turn and look and shouldn't make them have to figure out their left from their right; as long as, you are past them fast enough. I know some people that crowd your path even in session skates almost as if they are drawn to where you are passing like they are watching you.

The biggest problem for me has been the closed up pathway that happens at the very last minute even if you slow down as you approach.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:56 AM   #23
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

We were out on a small trail today and I came up behind a woman walking her dog. That’s not so unusual, there were a few dog walkers on the trail this afternoon (and a few piles to dodge as well). She was on the right, with her dog in the middle of the trail. I didn’t really have room to scoot past her on the right, and since she was wearing headphones, I didn’t have any reason to expect that she’d hear me come up behind her. So, noticing that her dog seemed very calm and was on a very short leach, I figured I was cool to pass on the left. You can see where this is going, right?

I’m used to dogs trying to chase me, so that’s what I set myself up for. This dog, however, lunged straight at me, perpendicular to my direction of travel. My choices were to either do a high speed grass stop off the left side of the trail, or skate right through his ribcage. Ya know, grass stops don’t work worth a damn in gravel. Should have gone for the lungs. But I didn’t, and, well, it wasn’t one of my more graceful moments. She felt really bad, but I tried to convince her that I’m an accomplished road skidder and that I’ve got a whole lot more experience with how dogs react to humans in body armor coming at them at 20mph than she ever will, and therefore should have anticipated the results a bit better, but I think she still felt pretty bad. Of course, the wound on my right leg looked a lot worse than it really was, as I’d blown away a scab I earned in one of the tunnels in midtown Manhattan last weekend.

Oh well. I still did a few laps after that, the abrasions weren’t too bad. It was kind of a race against time trying to get back to the car and clean up before the blood got down to the skate. I did need a shot of whisky prior to the hydrogen peroxide party, but I‘m feeling much better now.

<homer>
Stoopid puppy.
</homer>
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #24
sk8scott

That sounds like a really annoying wreck! At least the girl was apologetic. Sometimes dog owners can act all entitled if someone upsets their poor helpless pit bull by making him growl.

I had a similar experience about a month ago, on the Burlington Bike Path. I was heading north away from Waterfront Park, when I see this guy with a little yapper strolling towards me up ahead. As I got closer, I relaxed because the dog was on a leash. Then I realized that the guy wasn't holding the other end! The little ankle-biter came sprinting after me, darting right in front of my skates. I veered to the far right edge of the trail, and the glorified rodent stayed right with me, making a beeline for my wheels. I managed to stay upright as I clipped a paw. The dog yelped and darted away.

I didn't stick around to see if the dog was okay, as I felt that neither dog nor owner deserved an apology. I just yelled, "Hold the (censored) leash, moron!" as I skated away. Not the most civil way to deal with things, I know, but I have this strange habit of actually speaking my mind when someone causes me to wreck or have a near miss.

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #25
skaterdog

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8scott View Post
That sounds like a really annoying wreck! At least the girl was apologetic. Sometimes dog owners can act all entitled if someone upsets their poor helpless pit bull by making him growl.

I had a similar experience about a month ago, on the Burlington Bike Path. I was heading north away from Waterfront Park, when I see this guy with a little yapper strolling towards me up ahead. As I got closer, I relaxed because the dog was on a leash. Then I realized that the guy wasn't holding the other end! The little ankle-biter came sprinting after me, darting right in front of my skates. I veered to the far right edge of the trail, and the glorified rodent stayed right with me, making a beeline for my wheels. I managed to stay upright as I clipped a paw. The dog yelped and darted away.

I didn't stick around to see if the dog was okay, as I felt that neither dog nor owner deserved an apology. I just yelled, "Hold the (censored) leash, moron!" as I skated away. Not the most civil way to deal with things, I know, but I have this strange habit of actually speaking my mind when someone causes me to wreck or have a near miss.

----Scott
Sounds like the exact thing that happened to me (above). The rules on our trail say dogs should be on a leash no longer than 6 feet...but it doesn't say anything about holding the leash.
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #26
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
rules on our trail say dogs should be on a leash no longer than 6 feet
Wow, your trail has rules? How FANCY!!!

This one doesn't even have a yellow line down the middle to remind people that perhaps Mr. Miyagi was right about no walk in middle.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote