S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old October 12th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #101
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
If only there was some reliable braking system on the market....
JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #102
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorback View Post
I personally use a brake 100% of the time when I skate outdoors for racing and training. The brake does not bother me and I have placed top ten in several pro marathon skate races with the system so I personally don't think it creates a problem.
Thanks, Mark, for all the good information. I would like a brake for my skates, especially if I am ever going to see the "Danger Will Robison" sign painted on the street in GA.

Intrepid, nice pictures. Thanks!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:49 AM   #103
gatorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
... oh you mean race proven right? Maybe an endorsement from Frankie Andreu....
Frankie is a person I respect. The quote from Frankie on my web site is not an endorsement of the product but simply a comment he was willing to make for my web site after I skated with him while he road his bicycle. Frankie thought the product looked cool but he never tried it. Frankie is a bicycle racer so I don't think he has ever tried speed skating but he did finish the tour de france nine times and that is worth some respect.

In terms of race proven, that comment goes back to a discussion of a wheel brand from a few years ago where I made the point about the product hype being out of level with the race success. At the time there was lots of hype around the ultra light wheels and I made the point that if the ultra light thin urathane wheel concept was a good idea we would see pro skate racers using the wheels aka "race proven" (foot meet mouth). After two years of wheels we have seen the ultra light and ultra thin wheels. Some people like these thin light wheels. I regret the comment about the wheels and know that many people enjoy these super light wheels while at the same time many people including many top pros like wheels with more meat on them.

In terms of "race proven", with the brake system, I placed top ten in most of the pro skate races that I did in 2005 season. My wife placed top three in many pro skate races in the more distant past (Kendra Hudson, 2nd place at A2A and 3rd place at NYC 100k). We did not race last year due to some issues that I had that prevented me from racing at my level including a knee surgery. In 2007, I plan to race a couple of events with the hope of a top ten placement in a few events. As with wheels, some people will like the brake system and some people will not like them.

Personally, I like a brake system especially when I get a set of the $15.00 per wheels.
gatorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #104
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

I'm so glad someone got a picture of that. Thanks Intrepid!
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #105
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

You all gotta come next year.... it doesn't get any better.
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #106
Intrepid

Jessica,

You are very welcome for the "Danger Will Robinson" picture; that notice is definelty needed, we got close to 40mph on the way down the hill. Our pace line had gotten a little strung out as we got close to Silver Hill so I took the picture as I waited for the the line to reform. I don't know if you noticed but there is the shadow of a car going around me on the left as I took the picture. I wonder what the driver must have been thinking as I stood in the middle of his road.

Congratulations again on your great finish!

Howard
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #107
Intrepid

Dave - You are welcome for the pictures. Hopefully I will have a few more to post in the next day or two.

Howard
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #108
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

Forgive my tardiness, congradulations to all that skated. I have total respect for anyone that entered a2a let alone finish with high placements. Skating 87 miles is almost unimaginable to me at this point-hopefully in a couple of years I can progress enough to consider it. As it's been said before, the training seems to be quite an experience by itself. The dedication it took is inspiring.
Nice pics too.
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #109
smallet

With our local speed skating team I have recently skated 87 miles in one day - just to get the experience. We accomplished it in about 9 hours, but we had stops every hour or so. I am interested about how a2a is organized? How many stops do you have? Do you eat during the event? How much water you drink? From my experience I need about one liter of water per hour in a hot day. I spent about three liters per 87 miles, but it was chilly here.
smallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #110
speedysktr
President of Everything

There are 6 checkpoints approximately every 16 miles or so. They have fruit and water, but many people are "sagged" by personal support teams. (family/friends). These support teams travel checkpoint to checkpoint handing off items needed by the skaters. I eat sport gels religously during the event as well as higher calorie, sport drinks going through one 20 oz bottle between every checkpoint. (accelerade is the brand drink and GU is the gel).
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #111
online inline

speedy, have you tried Hammer Gel? I like it better than GU and it flows better. I get it in the refillable bottle and a quart jar to stock it with.

I use gel on any skater over 40 minutes in duration. Acelerade is my drink too, available at rock bottom prices over the internet at VigorousLiving.com
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #112
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
speedy, have you tried Hammer Gel? I like it better than GU and it flows better. I get it in the refillable bottle and a quart jar to stock it with.
Funny thing you mentioned that. It's what I actually used this year. I've been a loyal Gu chocolate user for years, willing to say 99% of the gels I've ever eaten have been that. Last second shopping this year left me empty handed when it came time to buy my GUs and Accelerade. Popped over to the (bike)shop and the only Accelerade they had was Lemon Lime and I thought, "how bad can it be..." they also no longer sell GUs, just every other thing. Stocked up on the chocolate HammerGel and it was fine. The Lemon-Lime Accelerade was nasty, just nasty. The smell was pretty obnoxious-very sea weedy smelling, total barf out on the smell, but the taste was much more tolerable. I'll check the link, thanks.
Old October 17th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #113
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Funny thing you mentioned that. It's what I actually used this year. I've been a loyal Gu chocolate user for years, willing to say 99% of the gels I've ever eaten have been that. Last second shopping this year left me empty handed when it came time to buy my GUs and Accelerade. Popped over to the (bike)shop and the only Accelerade they had was Lemon Lime and I thought, "how bad can it be..." they also no longer sell GUs, just every other thing. Stocked up on the chocolate HammerGel and it was fine. The Lemon-Lime Accelerade was nasty, just nasty. The smell was pretty obnoxious-very sea weedy smelling, total barf out on the smell, but the taste was much more tolerable. I'll check the link, thanks.
i think the chocolate hammer gel might have caffeine in it, not sure, maybe i'm confusing it with espresso? Anyway, i read some lengthy cycling messageboard and the majority of guys on there prefered Hammer Gel by a oretty good majority. Yeah, i know , they are cyclists and not skaters, but hay, just becuase they took one wrong turn in life doesn;t disqualify everything they think...

Accelearde - tried the fruit punch once for variety and it was too sweet. the Orange is my hands down favorite. I get the 56 serving size for about $22 per container, no shipping, no tax, delivered to my door, just add water.

This stuff gets me so fueled up, i feel like i could skate between major metropilitan centers along the southeastern seaboard.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #114
speedysktr
President of Everything

trust me, you can and you will. Might as well just sign up now, brotha. I think we've got a movement started here. Don't be johnny come lately.

edit: yes, yes, I know your feelings on the matter you've made it abundantly clear, before. But that was before. Dont make me use the svenjolly eyes on you.
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:45 PM   #115
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Full results are up on www.a2a.net.

Now including DNS/DNF's

Dev
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #116
cbarrett017

Default 1st A2A

Howdy,

I'm a newcomer to this forum, but judging the responses, I've found a new home.

The race was a blast. I had promised myself about 8-10 years ago that I was going to do it, but I blew my knee out at work about 8 weeks before. I kind of let my goal slide at really forgot about serious skating. A marriage, a son, and fifty pounds later I decided that I needed to get back at it. I started skating agian in April and convinced myself that if I could get my distance to 60 miles by the end of August that I would register.

Of course being the eternal optimist I got there, but my training courses were much more generous than realisitic. I got new skates and everything, but the new boots wore such nasty sores on my feet that I couldn't wear them. This should have been a red flag, but "damn the torpedoes", if I was going I was going all the way. I really intended for this to be more of a reconissance effort than anything else, and that it was.

My time was terrible, 8:35, but I finished, even after eating it in front of about 150 people at the Dacula 1/2 way finish. My time was good to there, but that kind of let the wind out of my sail. I was considering stopping there, but I had to finish. At the finish I told myself that I never needed to do that agian, but a day later and since I've been picking over the details and planning my stategy for 2007.

Other than a more aggersive training regimen of steeps and drops tucked up, I think the only smart plan is to kill myself until I can get through Dacula. If you can't get through the upper half of Gwinnett County (should be Greater Carland) before Sunday morning rush hour you're screwed. Having to shorten your stride and hug the shoulder is not condusive to speed. Even being an Atlanta resident I was taken by the aggressive behavior of many drivers even in the presence of officers at intersections and to the fact that it was an organized race. I guess if you're not a "Lance" in a yellow jersey you can forget most drivers of sharing the road (but that is another sore subject entirely).

All and all I am anxious for next year. I am optimistic about convincing my wife about the NYC 100k or maybe Disney, but I think World Peace is more realistic.

Chuck
cbarrett017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #117
gbo
once faster than a wocket

cbarrett017 wrote:
Quote:
At the finish I told myself that I never needed to do that agian
First off, congrats on finishing. Great job. You must be incredibly pleased to complete this goal after setting it 8-10 yrs ago.

What is it about the race that keeps drawing you back? Is it the training reqd (who wouldn't love 3+ hr training runs)? The mental toughness? The physical test? It sounds like a very grueling race under tough conditions - open roads to name one.

I have a friend who climbed a mountain and camped up there for a week. The entire time up there she said she was miserable and vowed that she would never do that again. But, now, she can't wait to repeat the experience. Is this the same kind of thing? Where you feel so incredibly alive during the experience that as soon as you've completed it you can't wait to try it again regardless of how tough it was?

Can you come anywhere near explaining it?

Just curious
Geri
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #118
cbarrett017

Default Why?

I have to admit that community is one of the biggest reasons. I am lucky enough to live in a metropolis where there is a good skating community. Unfortunately my schedule doesn’t allow me to participate in the organized night skates. I get plenty of miles in on my own, though.
I’ve skated with them in the past, but it’s been maybe 10 years. This absence from the community was clearly evident in my “bailing” on the pre-race talks and events. I could only come up late on Saturday afternoon and was overwhelmed by the exuberance of many of the participants. Seeing Athens overrun with skaters was unusual to say the least. But through the race I pleasantly surprised by the genuine congeniality of almost everyone, regardless of ability (there’s always a Jack-ass or two, ain’t there).
I’ve been skating since 1990, mostly from a recreational position. The training for the A2A has turned my curiosity to speed skating. Moving up to the 4x100 setup demonstrated how much fun it can be “bombing” big hills without fear of loosing stability, not to mention the added speed and distances achievable in limited workout time. From there its just the beauty of letting your body run for hours while allowing my nagging inner voice to be quiet.
cbarrett017 is offline   Reply With Quote