S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old December 13th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Default Montreal 24 Hour Relay: July 14-15, 2007

Thanks for the link Kathie, I never would have found it myself.

Ok guys, so it looks like the registration for a team goes up an additional $100 after February 1st!! So who's serious about being part of the Skatelog team? I am. If we get just four people who want to do this, we could pay $100 each, and get the $ back for however many more people join the team. I think this would be so much fun. Who's in?

Also if the price is in CAD, it's even cheaper than $100 each...

Anyone that posts below me hereby agrees to be part of the Skatelog team.

Last edited by Jessica; December 29th, 2006 at 06:59 PM. Reason: There's no editing here, move along
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #2
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

If I was still living in the Boston area, I'd say I'd be there. The airfare from out here is exorbitant.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #3
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

I'm serious... about doing it solo! I do hope to see a SkateLog team there though.

As of today, 1 CAD = 87 cents US. So the entry fee is about $348 US, or $87 each for 4 people.
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #4
speedysktr
President of Everything

MC, are you for sure doing it solo?
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #5
skaterdog

I'm very interested in doing this event...
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #6
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
MC, are you for sure doing it solo?
That's the plan, man. Are you going?
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #7
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
That's the plan, man. Are you going?
Yeah, he's going - but it would be nice to have you on our team instead of flying solo....

Skaterdog, cool, that makes three..
Old December 15th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #8
Intrepid

Default Montreal 24-Hour

The Montreal 24-Hour race may be the most fun that can be had on skates. I did the race in July 2006 as part of the Skater's Quest team and it was an incredible experience. The event puts over 700 skaters together in one location for a full 24 hours of skating, skating, and more skating. The course is a 2.8-mile Formula 1 race track that has hair pin turns, chicanes, rollers, straight-aways and it is in perfect condition. The teams live Saturday and Sunday in the garages (called "paddocks") along Pit Row which provides lots of opportunity to meet and talk to skaters from the US and Canada.

I will be on the Skater's Quest team again in 2007 but I will be happy to share race strategy, do's and dont's, what-to-bring, and lessons-learned with the SkateLog team (if Jessica can convince enough board members and Kathy to form a team).

BTW - flying directly to Montreal is very expensive. We flew to Burlington, VT (half the cost of flying to Montreal) and then drove rental cars across the border to Montreal.

Howard
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #9
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Thanks Intrepid! How far is the drive?
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #10
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
BTW - flying directly to Montreal is very expensive
Flying from Los Angeles to Montreal that weekend does not look too expensive. Arriving Friday July 13 and departing Monday July 16, the WestJet fare is $300 USD. WestJet is a Canadian discount airline. You do have to take 3 flights however, changing planes in Calgary and Toronto.

Delta has round trip flights from Los Angeles to Montreal that weekend for $529 round trip, changing planes in either Atlanta or Cincinnati.

Flights from LA to Montreal on other airlines for July 13-16 are $700 to $1000, but it's possible all of the above fares would be cheaper with a least a 7 day stay, or perhaps leaving and arriving on other than a Friday or Monday. I know most of you are not in Los Angeles, but these fares might give you an idea of what you can expect in your part of the world.

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #11
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

I checked the rates flying from here - it's about $350 including taxes, so that's not so bad I guess. But if I can save money....
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #12
Intrepid

Kathie, Jessica - That's good news concerning the low airfares to Montreal. The cost of our flight from Dulles airport in Virginia to Burlington, Vt was $252 round trip. I believe the direct flight to Montreal was close to $600 at that time. That is why the team flew to Burlington and not to Montreal. We shared the rental cost of three large SUVs and drove to Montreal which is about a three hour drive through the Lake Champlain area (very beautiful) of New York and into Canada.

As a side note, the Haagan Dazs ice cream factory is close to Burlington and the team made a side trip visit there on the way back to the airport after the race. Nice way to reload on expended calories
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #13
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Hi Intrepid --

Great to have someone around who knows all the details about this race. What can you tell us about the skating surface? I'm wondering what kind of wheels would work best. (Yeah, it's a bit early to be thinking about it, but forewarned is forearmed, you know... )
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #14
Intrepid

Lawrence - Most of the skating surface on the Formula 1 track is baby-butt smooth asphalt. However, the first quarter-mile out of the transition zone is actually a side trail that parallels the track and it goes through a small section of woods; it is also asphalt but it is a bumpy ride until it merges onto the race track.

At this year's race there were thunderstorms that hit Montreal around noon and it was still drizzling at 2:00 when the race started. During the afternoon the weather cleared and it was perfect for the remainder of the race.

The lesson learned was to bring two sets of wheels - one soft sticky set and one hard fast set. Also, have the wheels pre-loaded with bearings and bring one extra set of bearings because wet bearings will start squeking and grinding several hours after the water evaporates unless you disassembe and lube them. It was an experience to hear all of the squeking bearings (including mine for a lap) in the late afternoon/early evening until skaters replaced their bearings. There are a number of vendors selling wheels, bearings, pads, etc. along pit row so you can buy supplies during the race.

Howard
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #15
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
But if I can save money....
Looks like you want to do (or win?) everything............ kind of ambitious heh............
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #16
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinghornet View Post
Looks like you want to do (or win?) everything............ kind of ambitious heh............
It's more of hoping for the best than anything. The way I talk I bet people think I'm a millionaire or something. Not even close, but if I really want to do it, I'll find a way.
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #17
janneman

Default montreal ?

mmmmm sounds alluring.. montreal...
Old December 24th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #18
DonPatton
Gadget Guy

Put me down as a maybe . . . when do you need to know for sure? Should I assume end of January to keep the entry fee down? Also, depending on who you get, I might be one of the weaker team members. But then if more skaters will help the stronger skaters be even stronger during their turns, that might not be such a bad thing.

Don
DonPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #19
racerx

This event sounds like tons of fun so I'm also a definite maybe Jess. I'll know for sure by the end of Jan. if I'm in.
-Richard
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #20
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Woohoo, we've almost got a team!!!