S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old December 27th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #21
Intrepid

Default Montreal 24-Hour SkateLog Team

Jessica - It's starting to look like there may be a SkateLog team in Montreal. So far, there is interest from Racerx, Don Patten, janneman, skaterdog, MC (he wants to do it solo, but maybe he can be convinced to join the team), perhaps Kathie (??) and you. Thats six, and maybe seven (Kathie !) for the team. The team needs a minimum of six to keep the skaters from burning out so it looks like you may be in good shape to find a few more to round out the team to 10.

Howard

Here are a few pictures from the 2006 race.

This is the transition zone very early on Sunday morning, several skaters are looking down the track waiting for their teammates to arrive to exchange the baton. You can Steve on the track in the middle of the picture skating away from the photographer holding the baton behind his back.

Later on Sunday, Keith, holding the baton, is sprinting into the transition zone just about to hand it off to our next skater. Again, you can see skaters from other teams looking down the track waiting for their teammates to arrive.

Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #22
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Thanks Intrepid, but I think janneman's reply was sarcasm unless I'm interpreting it wrong. Either way, the few we've got so far is encouraging. Question - does the skater on the track carry the baton the whole time he's/she's skating??

btw, thanks for making a new thread Kathie
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #23
Intrepid

Jessica - The skater on the track has to have the baton in his/her possesion for the entire lap. Most skaters started off carrying the baton in their hand but as the race went on the pro teams started storing it under their skinsuit on their back with the top of the baton extending out of the back of their skinsuit. As they approached the transition area they would reach back and pull the baton out and have it in their hand to give to their next skater. This seemed to work well for the skaters wearing skin suits or tight team jerseys and became very popular with many teams as the race continued into Saturday night.

One thing that the SQ team found out during practice before the race is that it is very difficult to carry the baton while wearing traditional plastic wrist guards or sliders. We finally ended up buying bike gloves with exposed finger tips. These worked very well and allowed a good grip on the baton while providing some hand protection in case of a fall. In the picture of Keith skating into the transition zone, you can see the bike gloves that he is wearing. Many skaters wore no hand protection but we decided that it was better to be safe than sorry.

Howard
Old December 28th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #24
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Hello Intrepid --

I'm curious about the numbered bibs. Do you know if the solo skaters are required to wear them? Seems like it would be uncomfortable to wear a bib over your jersey for 24 hours, especially in July.

Thanks for the info!
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #25
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Default Carpooling

I just checked Orbitz and like Intrepid said, flights into Burlington, VT ($126) are much cheaper than into Montreal ($460 -- arrive July 12, depart July 17). Would anyone be interested in carpooling from Burlington?
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #26
janneman

Exclamation wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Thanks Intrepid, but I think janneman's reply was sarcasm unless I'm interpreting it wrong.
Sarcasm? no!
Alluring - so!
Feasable - doubtfull if only ; cheapest ticket Euro 730 = US$ 1000)
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #27
Intrepid

MC - The solo skaters do not wear a bib.

But .... if you are on the SL team with Jessica then you would have the honor and privelege of wearing the team bib.
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #28
speedysktr
President of Everything

do you have to trade off every lap or can you go for as long as you want?
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #29
Intrepid

Speedy – the simple answer to your question is that there is no rule that dictates how often team members have to trade off on laps.

However, your question gets at the heart of the team race strategy so now may be a good time to introduce this topic. All of the pro-elite and most of the fitness teams, including the Skater’s Quest team, had each skater skate only one lap and then hand off to the next skater. The main reason for this is that you want the skater on the track to put in a maximum effort on the 2.8-mile course. You want your team to continually go fast for the entire 24 hours and the easiest way to achieve this is for each skater to do just a single lap. Our lap times ranged from 9.5 minutes to 11 minutes over the 24 hours. There is a big difference between skating max for 10 minutes (one lap) as opposed to 20 minutes (two laps). We spoke with some skaters on other teams who were doing multiple laps and they said that the second lap was always slower than the first lap.

To make this single-lap strategy work as a team over 24 hours, many of the teams divided their skaters into sub-teams. The SQ team had 10 skaters and we had three sub-teams: A, B, and C. We put our four fastest skaters in A and the remaining six were divided evenly with three on B (I was in that group), and the remaining three in C. I believe the Skate Farm team which won the pro-elite category had 8 skaters divided into two 4-man sub-teams.

Each SQ sub-team skated two laps on each “rotation” so the skating assignments looked like this for the race:

A1 (Team A skater 1), A2, A3, A4, A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2, B3, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2, C3 and then it starts over with A1.

The only time this changed was starting with the team A rotation at 11:00 pm Saturday night. For this “skull shift” skating, each sub-team did three laps rather than two laps so that it gave additional time for the other skaters to get some sleep (if they could) during the night. The B team rotation started at 2:00am and we skated until about 4:30am when B3 handed off to C1; that was a unique experience skating during those hours in the pitch dark with only a helmet light.

The SQ team ended up skating 132 laps for a total of about 385 miles.

That’s the basics of the team organization. I hope this made sense.
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #30
Intrepid

Oops, I left out the second set of laps for team C in the skating assignements in my previous post. The correct assignment is like this:

A1 (Team A skater 1), A2, A3, A4, A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2, B3, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2, C3, C1, C2, C3 and then it starts over with A1.
Old December 28th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #31
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Wow, fascinating stuff. Since I didn't know any better I probably would have suggested the team skate more than one lap at a time. Thanks for the tip
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #32
mjcole

Sorry this is kinda off thread, well not really.

If you are going fly from the DC area to Vermont and then drive 3 or more hours from VT to PQ wouldn't it make more sense just to drive the whole way? I just came back from a trip to DC (hey its the best time to avoid the crowds) and the drive is a managable at 10 hrs. According to Google Maps, Montreal is about as far as Toronto, about 9,5 hrs driving time and you still get the senic Adirondack mountains.

Actually it seems an awful lot of reloacted Montrealer's love telling me just how close they are to NYC, so I would think anyone in the East coast, North of the Carolina's would probably do well to consider taking a Friday off and car pooling.

Anyway that ought to save a little money for useful things like new skates!

Michael
mjcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #33
Intrepid

Michael - Yes, the drive from Northern Virginia to Montreal can be done in less than 11 hours. In fact, some of us have already decided to drive instead of flying next year. This will also make it easier to transport the support gear and food rather than buying it in Montreal.

With your question, are you interested in joining Jessica on the SL team?

Howard
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #34
unicycle1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
The SQ team ended up skating 132 laps for a total of about 385 miles.
With a team of six, that's 64 miles each, 100km race, spead across 24hrs, on a baby-butt surface, yeah, I think I want to do that, if it's in California:-) Why can't we have this in California where you don't really have to pack for the rainy day, and you can wear your favorite skinsuit (to keep the baton:-) all year round?
unicycle1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #35
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Wow, fascinating stuff. Since I didn't know any better I probably would have suggested the team skate more than one lap at a time. Thanks for the tip
Well, you're probably strong enough to multiple laps.......
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #36
mjcole

Quote:
With your question, are you interested in joining Jessica on the SL team?
Its tempting, I have to persuade my wife that I should, and then come up with a reason why I need to be sent to the Montreal office the Friday before, most of my vacation days are already spoken for. (On the other hand at least I work for a company with a branch office in Montreal. )
mjcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #37
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcole View Post
Its tempting, I have to persuade my wife that I should, and then come up with a reason why I need to be sent to the Montreal office the Friday before, most of my vacation days are already spoken for. (On the other hand at least I work for a company with a branch office in Montreal. )
See? The goddess has spoken
Old December 29th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #38
racrmom2

Default 24hour

The 24 hour race has been on my mind every year since it started (or someone else put on a 24 hour race). The concept of a team sounds more alluring.

Any Team Rainbo people interested or Seattlites?

This certainly would be a challenge for me.
racrmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #39
online inline

No, but a little closer to home---> Pat and I are getting together Sat. Morning for some good miles, probably Alki beach because Redmond morning fog will probably make Samm. trail too wet to skate. What do you say?

For that matter, i'm off today, available to skate on your side of the lake, with a little pre-planning as i;m the stay home parent this week, a job you could appreciate, i'm sure.

Is that off topic enough for ya'll?
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #40
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
No, but a little closer to home---> Pat and I are getting together Sat. Morning for some good miles, probably Alki beach because Redmond morning fog will probably make Samm. trail too wet to skate. What do you say?

For that matter, i'm off today, available to skate on your side of the lake, with a little pre-planning as i;m the stay home parent this week, a job you could appreciate, i'm sure.

Is that off topic enough for ya'll?
No If I were healthy Alki in the morning would be do-able.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote