S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old October 7th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #1
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Default Squiggy 2009 - Results and Reports

Hi all,

The outdoor season has a few races left, but the new season has already made itself known

Squiggy Inline Classic 2009, March 13-15 is just 150 and-a-bit-of-change days away - so start planning.

We already have 6 people signed up and you're more than welcome to be one of the early birds, go here to sign up

We are both on Facebook and MySpace please become our friends - one can never have too many!

The event will be the same as last year, just better!! See event details here http://www.squiggyclassicinline.com/
Jessica and I have already hired the chip-timing company from last year

Hmm what else is new??

We are thinking of adding a 10K - depending on level of interest.
Also putting feelers out in the Roller Derby/quad community to see if there's interest for adding a quad competition.
Jorge Botero (our speed coach in Stardust, Tampa ) has promised to help promote the event in Europe and Columbia - hope even more and even stronger skaters will arrive.

More will be added as time pass, just wanted to let everybody know that we are here and going strong!

/Birgit
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #2
WonderGirl

Woman sign me up! I'll send ya' the $ I swear. jk I know how to work that active gizmo thingie. I can't wait to come back and better my time, maybe even be able to finally skate a marathon again. Ya' never know, it may happen again someday. Thanks for everything at A2A. Next year you skate it.
Renee
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #3
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderGirl View Post
Woman sign me up! I'll send ya' the $ I swear. jk I know how to work that active gizmo thingie. I can't wait to come back and better my time, maybe even be able to finally skate a marathon again. Ya' never know, it may happen again someday. Thanks for everything at A2A. Next year you skate it.
Renee
A2A that was my angle ohh I mean angel-gene shining through

I'm planning on skating and I heard a little bird singing that Jessica will to - so watch it sister and get in marathon-shape. Flatwoods being so flat makes it a great place to skate the first marathon of the year.

Better say it now - early on - so everybody sees it "remember sunscreen" !!!
- and if you do not trust me that the sun in Florida can be burning strong in March - ask TDell, he did not believe me, and he got red ears...

I'll keep looking for the perfect .jpg, let you know when I have found it!!
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #4
WonderGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post

I'll keep looking for the perfect .jpg, let you know when I have found it!!
Oh sweet torture, I will never be cured. Sounds like time for another head injury to kill off some more gray matter. Why is it that the intented ones are never the ones that die? You kind hearted meanie you.

Back on topic - Flat is undestatement for sure. I have skated indoor rinks that are more hilly.
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Happy to announce that Jeff Adams from Digital Pixel Photography will be our official photographer at Squiggy Classic Inline 2009.

You know him as the photographer from Tampa Classic last year, go see cool race pictures here http://digitalpixel.PhotoReflect.com

Also see pictures from a recent clinic that Jorge Botero held in Tampa with Team Stardust. http://www.digitalpixelphotography.com/jorge_botero/

Looking forward to have lots of cool race pictures that the racers just have to get!

/Birgit

If you want Jeff to come to your meet/race, his contact details are as follows

Jeff Adams
Photographer
Digital Pixel Photography
www.DigitalPixelPhotography.com
photo@digitalpixelphotography.com
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #6
WonderGirl

Jeff rocks! Known him forever. Former pro skater, now pro photographer. Good choice!
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #7
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Just wondering.

Since Squiggy is in Flatwoods Park and closing roads are not necessary, why don't you start the marathon later on in the day between 11:00AM and 1:00PM? This has been something I would like to see done by events. This way more people could catch a early flight in the morning and make the race and fly home in the evening. Also there is the benefits of not having to spend money on hotel, extra ground transportation, restaurant, and taking an extra day out of a skaters busy life schedule. I would think that there are many people that would show up.
Of course if a event needs to close off roads this wouldn't be as easy, or it was too hot of a race in mid summer.

I could do Squiggy, and bring skaters with me, if it started at 11:00AM.

Landing 8:35AM in Orlando, or 9:20AM in Tampa Bay.

I wish event promoters would at least think about this.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #8
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Just wondering.

Since Squiggy is in Flatwoods Park and closing roads are not necessary, why don't you start the marathon later on in the day between 11:00AM and 1:00PM? This has been something I would like to see done by events. This way more people could catch a early flight in the morning and make the race and fly home in the evening. Also there is the benefits of not having to spend money on hotel, extra ground transportation, restaurant, and taking an extra day out of a skaters busy life schedule. I would think that there are many people that would show up.
Of course if a event needs to close off roads this wouldn't be as easy, or it was too hot of a race in mid summer.

I could do Squiggy, and bring skaters with me, if it started at 11:00AM.

Landing 8:35AM in Orlando, or 9:20AM in Tampa Bay.

I wish event promoters would at least think about this.
Good point!!

Why do we start at 9am, hmmmm because that's what all other races do??

If you read this and have an opinion on when to start, please let us know.

And yes we can start any time of the day - only hang up would be that it would/could be too hot during mid-day.

Others that are of BWI's opinion?? Or against it?"!?! Please let us know!
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #9
Npawn

The problem with starting later is that sometimes the Florida weather can bite you in the bum. I know from running cross country and being in the later races that it starts out nice and cool and by the time the 10am-11am races are about to start, it gets a bit hotter and then it gets NASTY humid. I know, atleast for running, it makes for a really uncomfortable run. I would imagine it would do the same for skaters.
Npawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #10
The General
Ninja Skater

I like to start early. I wouldn't want to go any later than 9:00. 8:00 would be ideal. I think it's more about race conditions than flight plans and hotel stays. Does anyone have the perspective of running races? When do they usually start? And why?

And yes, and it can potentially get really hot later in the day in Florida, making for a very rough race for those who aren't accustomed to skating in the heat.
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #11
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

It appears to not be hot that time of year. Research and let us know.

Some running race link
Almanac link check "Monthly Weather Summary", check "Tampa" check "archived"
Average Tampa temps.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #12
gopherfan

I remember it being very cold last year. The year before it was really foggy and slippery (umm, was there a year before The time trials on Saturday are later in the day and I didn't think it was too warm despite the stressful format (7 mile solo TT). I think weather supports a later start, not earlier.

I believe early am starts is an American thing. Ottawa started their races in the afternoon and ran until around 5pm. I know Europe starts their races in the afternoon. Having said that, this is America and early starts may be an expectation. Personally I'd prefer a later start, but understand people wanting to catch an afternoon flight home. I was thinking recently how I was disappointed St Paul is going back to a Saturday race. It forces you to take a Friday off. I thought that it would be so much better if they had Saturday afternoon races (if it couldn't be Sunday later morning). I hate getting up early and sometimes wonder why I fell in love with a sport that forces me to get up early to race.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #13
BlackCrow1515
SPDSKTR of Alabama

"Late to bed, early to rise, makes a skater tired, fast, and forget his supplies."

It doesn't matter how little sleep I get the night before an event, I always seem to pull around a 19 MPH average. Although at Houston, I was sicker than a dying dog and it held me back to an 18 MPH average.

And yes... I made that quote up.
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #14
Drella
alive with pleasure

Maybe something can be done with the bettering of the current mascot. He looks rather,, tame- for a squirrel hooked on speed. Any new ideas or is he a done deal?

Also, my good friend does vinyl graphic stickers and such,, I had told Jessikah awhile back about this. He would be more than fair in adjusting costs to help raise funds through such efforts. He'll even have his sublimation t-shirt printer up and working by January 15TH.

And what about post-race foodstuffs? Any ideas with feeding the entrants/guests?

Last edited by Drella; November 13th, 2008 at 09:19 PM.
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #15
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

We moved it from 8am to 9am last year to avoid the morning fog that can occur in Flatwoods. Last year was cold though and not a glimmer of fog.

And are planning on starting at 9am Sunday for the marathon, unless we change it

Last year was unusually cold and unusually windy.

Average temp in March in Tampa is Tampa: High 76-Low 58 according to
http://goflorida.about.com/od/allabo...da/a/march.htm

Also March is in the "less humid" time of year, making it more tolerable to skate anytime of day.
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #16
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Drella-

Squiggy is Hillsborough county's mascot - we can't make any changes to him.

We'll have coffee before the race and plenty of food afterwards - Sweetbay will likely be our food sponsor again.

About the race time - personally for me it has to be either early morning or late evening. I've done a few running races after the sun goes down, and that's fine. The combination of the heat, humidity and just the glaring sun mid-day make it unappealing to race during the day. Just my opinion.
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #17
ONOU

Early morning race times are better for people participating from out of the area.
Most hotels have check out times that range from 11:00-1:00.
It's nice to socialize, attend awards, then go to your room, shower, pack, and check out with out being rushed.
ONOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #18
WonderGirl

"...If you read this and have an opinion on when to start, please let us know. ..."

Oh my, that's opening up Pandora's box. Input is great. But like some say, ask 20 skaters and you'll get 22 different opinions. I will offer this suggestion "Do what is best for the whole because you will never be able to please everyone all the time." Could give everyone $100 bills for finishing and someone will find something to gripe about.

I've done morning, noon, and night style events. Whenever is good. Just happy to be skating. *fingers crossed* pain free.

PS saw lenny's pics. sweeeeet
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Drella-

Squiggy is Hillsborough county's mascot - we can't make any changes to him.

Too bad, I had ideas for something a little more,, cooler...

Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #20
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderGirl View Post
I will offer this suggestion "Do what is best for the whole because you will never be able to please everyone all the time."
... Whenever is good. Just happy to be skating.
Good suggestion!! I agree. Anytime I'm able to attend an event, I'm happy.
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote