S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old August 28th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #1
jonas

Default Rain wheels?

Hi,
Plan to do Berlin Marathon this september and want to be prepared for bad weather (rain). Anyone having suggestion on a good rain wheel to ensure as good grip as possible if it happens to be a wet surface (hope not)?

For rain wheels, would it be better to use them a couple of times before the actual race to ensure an even better grip in case of a wet surface on the track?

Jonas
jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

One of the outdoor skaters I skate with did the NYC 100K this past weekend using the Matter Mundo F3100 (green) wheels and finished in 3:58.

he said they stuck to the wet pavement like glue. They're 83A durometer.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Jim White

http://www.skatepro.dk/catalog/artic...articles_id=22
Note that it's available in various languages.

Also suggest to ask your dealer.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #4
greazer
Forget oil... Grease!

What wheelsize are you on Jonas? If we know that it makes it a lot easier to answer your question.
Old August 28th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #5
jonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by greazer View Post
What wheelsize are you on Jonas? If we know that it makes it a lot easier to answer your question.
Good point!

Currently 84 mm, which most likely will be the wheelsize I use for the marathon.

Jonas
Old August 28th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #6
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

For 84s I like Matter greens. For 100s I like Hyper Mach IIs (84a). I have no thoughts on 90s as I've never skated on them.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #7
sk8scott

Thanks for the tips! It's good to know that there are wheels out there that grip in the rain, as the last time I raced in the rain it was like a slip & slide, with my 80/84 mm Hyper wheels giving me no traction to push off when climbing hills.

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #8
gatorback

MachII 82a best in the rain
gatorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #9
greazer
Forget oil... Grease!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas View Post
Hi,
Plan to do Berlin Marathon this september and want to be prepared for bad weather (rain). Anyone having suggestion on a good rain wheel to ensure as good grip as possible if it happens to be a wet surface (hope not)?

For rain wheels, would it be better to use them a couple of times before the actual race to ensure an even better grip in case of a wet surface on the track?

Jonas
Just to get back to this topic, my "wet" wheels are well used Hyper Mach 2's.
I will be doing the Berlin Marathon too (T2956 in startblock B) hopefully on my Matter SuperMundo F1100's (you know, the yellow ones... ).
Old September 17th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #10
gneal

After Worlds, and now Duluth, MPCs are no doubt the best in rain.
gneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #11
gatorback

I have always liked Hyper but I think you are right. They seem to be a bit behind and they need to release a new wheel soon to compete with MPC and Matter. The MPC wheels look good. I want to try a set but they are expensive.

At worlds and Duluth, Matter wheels were on the winner. I plan to try some of the Matter wheels soon.
gatorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #12
janneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas View Post

Jonas
To my best knowledge : yes!

Alas I do not know if the pictured wheels are really made by fila or they are hyper stripe versions. but they did really fine in soaking conditions.

@jim white: awsome site ! great tip.

I still have a test in mind to glue strips of a cycle intube to worn wheels and try that. So you have hard (84A) PU wheel with just 1 mm of soft rubber around it.
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #13
ashrock
Political Hack

I will never understand you people who skate in the rain! But just out of curiousity, what kind of bearings would you use??? Can they be reused?
ashrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #14
greg

bearings won't corrode noticeably over a 2 hour race/training run, it's leaving them for a day afterwards that does them in. If i can't tear down/clean my bearings immediately after a wet skate, i throw them in a [filled, no air]water jug until i can service them; oxidiation is extremely slow in 100% fresh water immersion. [it's the water droplet/air interface that is the rust 'engine']
greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #15
Pepper Montana

Off topic, a little bit, I know. I noticed that Janneman has the boot covers on in his pic. Great idea! After the Northshore rainfest I would strongly recommend those. I wasn't too worried about my two season old fitness boots getting wet. However, I didn't plan on how heavy the boots would get when they were waterlogged. Ezeefit has them on their website. I think that they are indispensable for wet skating.
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #16
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
Off topic, a little bit, I know. I noticed that Janneman has the boot covers on in his pic. Great idea! After the Northshore rainfest I would strongly recommend those. I wasn't too worried about my two season old fitness boots getting wet. However, I didn't plan on how heavy the boots would get when they were waterlogged. Ezeefit has them on their website. I think that they are indispensable for wet skating.
Thank you for reminding me that I have to dry my boots for tomorrow.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 05:19 AM   #17
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post
bearings won't corrode noticeably over a 2 hour race/training run, it's leaving them for a day afterwards that does them in. If i can't tear down/clean my bearings immediately after a wet skate, i throw them in a [filled, no air]water jug until i can service them; oxidiation is extremely slow in 100% fresh water immersion. [it's the water droplet/air interface that is the rust 'engine']
i might be wrong about this (becuase i avoid skating in the rain), but i always thought that as soon as you compromise the lubricant, you are damaging the ball bearings. that means that even a few minutes of drenched bearings could wash out - or appreciably thin - the lube enough so that it is metal on metal, which will ruin your tolerances, and thereby diminishing performance. Once your bearings are wet, you're skating on borrowed time.

As for a good rain bearing, the old twincams were legendary, but they don't seem to be the same anymore (The ILQ9s just don't hold up like the old ones did). Some people like ceramics, but they cost about as much as a pair of inexpensive speed boots, and they still have steel parts that can rust. Others tend to go with Powerslides rustproof bearings or perhaps titanium bearings, whcih do hold up better to water. Whatever you do, make sure your rain bearings are lubed with a grease, not an oil. Grease is a better barrier to dirt grime and water. I just use an old set of bearings and lube them with grease, and pretty much just use them til they seize or get too noisy. It's a pain servicing bearings that are lubed with grease, so once i resort to the grease lube, i'm pretty much resigned to not service them anymore (unless they just refuse to die a graceful death...)
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:27 AM   #18
jonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Whatever you do, make sure your rain bearings are lubed with a grease, not an oil.
O/I - what kind of grease do you use and how do you apply it? I have used both grease and oil lately but when using grease I do not get the same roll. Perhaps my choice of grease and my technique of applaying it is bad? Any advice?

J
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:59 AM   #19
online inline

i use white lithium grease. It works really well.

All greases have a break-in period of aobut 100 miles in whcih they will perform marginally slower than an oiled bearing. After that time, the greased bearing will be virtually as fast as an oiled bearing for all but the most advanced racers.

Don't apply too much grease. See Nettracing's website for greasing a bearing, and he has pics of factory applied grease, whcih serves as a standard by which we can guage how much to be aiming for.

Every year, about this time, i take a couple of sets of bearings and service them then lube with grease- there's just too many times at this time of year when i hit wet patches on the trail, so a more impervious barrier is needed.

I wouldn't use this lube in a race, but for training it is great.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 12:44 PM   #20
Seb

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
i might be wrong about this (becuase i avoid skating in the rain), but i always thought that as soon as you compromise the lubricant, you are damaging the ball bearings. that means that even a few minutes of drenched bearings could wash out - or appreciably thin - the lube enough so that it is metal on metal, which will ruin your tolerances, and thereby diminishing performance. Once your bearings are wet, you're skating on borrowed time.
Water works as a lubricant and coolant...it's just very runny and needs to be replenished constantly - no problem while the road is still wet. Dirt is more of a problem of course. And when you're on a longer tour and things are starting to dry, it's time for WD40 to get the water out.

BTW Jonas, the weather in Berlin is going to be excellent on Saturday, just like last year.
Seb is offline   Reply With Quote