S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old June 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Default 2009 Montreal 24hr Inline Race - Results, Reports, Photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.grosspietsch View Post
Well it's over. Some random notes: We completed 141 laps, approx. 378 miles. I do not know what place we were. Have to wait for official results. It did NOT rain for the first time ever. It was quite windy though. Temps were ideal, 70s by day, 50s at night. A great event. New layout worked out well. With no parking behind paddocks, more room to spread out. Corrals all along pit row to wait for your skater coming in made baton exchange safer. New pavement (only in corners and hairpin turns) was great. They repaved Friday night, night before race! Some of us saw foxes (the four-legged kind) on our night laps. Variety of music was nice, not just all techno-throb all the time. Somebody set a new lap record, 6:31. A woman set a new Solo course record. I forget her name. Again, wait for official results. A great time was had by all. Everyone was buzzing. Some are already talking about next year. Services of Skater's Quest Barista and espresso machine was awesome. They make good paddock-mates. Day-glow t-shirts stood out again, a big help when you are looking for your skater coming in. We had some ugly baton exchanges oh yes, but did not blow any of them. By that I mean every skater was out there for their turn when they were supposed to be every time and nobody forgot the time chips or bibs. That's all I can think of for now. Thank you Kathie Fry for sponsoring the team again.
From t.grosspietsch
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #2
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Short version.

Elite
1- Rabid Lap Dogs (Ottawa)
2- Montreal Inter (Montreal)
3- Toronto Inline Skating Club
4- ???
5- Skatersquest
6- Les Clowns
7- Flying Fossels

Women Only Teams
1- WOW (Women On Wheels)
2- Poulettes Sur Roulettes

Solo
1- Lou Solitaire

Wow what an event! This is a must do for anyone who skates. It is a must see for anyone who wants to skate. This perfectly run event is every thing for everyone. You don’t need to be Speedy Gonzolis to participate and make a difference. One lap for your team at the right time can make the difference in your team placement.

About the race. Well I’m no reporter but here is a bit of it.

I only was able to show up Sat. night around 10:30, so the whole setup, start, and first few hours I don’t know about. However being in Montreal since Friday let me say that a front came through in the morning and the wind was blowing very strong for race until nightfall.

On Friday I went to the track to familiarize myself with it since I would be doing my first skate in the dark on Sat. night. I also wanted a benchmark for my speed, for the Skatersquest Elite team line up, as for this was about the competition and teamwork, as much as having a good time. I was happy with a 7:49min lap, but I realize now that on Friday I cut the 180 turn a few hundred feet short because they were paving the end.

For those who are unfamiliar with this event, here is what happens. The course is a 2.7 mile automobile race track with 2 “S” turns and a sharp 180 degree turn. Each team is given (2) numbered bibs, (2) timing chip transponders straps, and a baton (blinking lighted for the night). A team member donning a bid, strapping on the timing chip on their ankle, and holding the baton would skate the course. Coming across the start line they would skate down the relay zone to where their team mate would be, to hand off the baton, who had on the second bib and timing strap. With around 85 teams and 20 solo skaters, 100 skaters on the track at all times, sometimes there was up to 20-30 skaters in the relay zone. Mind you these are a mix of slower Rec skaters and Elites flying in at 25mph. So you had to be on your toes.

I showed up after 10:30PM, geared up, and was briefed on the going ons. Our team would work three skaters at a time, one on the track, one getting the hand off, and one standby. The procedure was to time the hand off of the skater head so you know that you have to be ready in around 8 minutes and who to look for. Then you would get the bib and chip from the teammate that just finished his lap. Around the 6-minute mark you had to be ready in the relay zone looking for your hand off. At night this is so hard so he would scream your name, and you his, to know the pass is imminent. He would yell GO GO GO and you took off with your hand behind you to get the hand off and a shove if his speed was greater. After your lap you would switch bibs and immediately go to the official organizer’s computer to find your lap time, go back to the teams paddock and record the time. We did this to track performance. The plan for me was to do three repeats (three - one lap skates rotated in with two other skaters) as long as my times were good. If the second lap was slower due to tiring, I would do only the two before taking a long break.

I got the handoff, sprinted away, climb the first hill, and down through the first “S” curve. Suddenly, I found myself skating 25mph in pitch-black darkness. Holy @W#^#^(, MF#^%@#@%! And all the other words you can’t use on the radio! The only thing I could see for half of the course was the blinking lights of other skaters. It was like a video game and roller coaster mixed together in a bad nightmare where you are hurtling towards doom while doging tracer fire all around. To make matters more interesting you hoped by staying more to the right you wouldn’t be taken out by the couple of storm drain covers that were invisible at night on the course. My first lap I didn’t dare to push hard. I got used to the course at night and my speeds were in line with the team, so I did sets of 3 repeats through out the race.

By 11:00PM that night, we were in 5th place around 5 laps back from 4rth and one lap ahead of 6th and 7th. First place was around 4 laps in front of 2nd and 3rd who battled for that spot all night. This was how it stayed pretty much till the end. We just were trying our hardest to hold onto our one lap lead. Sometime through the night it was 7th place Flying Fossils and sometimes it was 6th place Les Clowns creeping up on us. ……….

… to be continued………..
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Letme

waiting for continue...
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #4
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

… I said hello to the SkateLogForum team but I really didn’t know anyone. Around 3AM I finally said hello to Jessica who I should describe as Dead Woman Rolling. Her all babe team WOW (Women On Wheels) had their own battle to stay in front of the #2 all women’s team. I got lucky to start a lap right when Jessica started one, so we technically skated together for a bit. During the night I pulled a skater or two but never had gotten passed except once. I reacted to slow and chased the whole loop but never got the draft.

Around 7Am it got interesting. We noticed that both #6 Les Clowns, and #7 Flying Fossils were closing in. Our lead was only 1 lap, 2 minutes, and we were putting out some bad laps. We thought they were putting out the faster skaters in an attempt to pass us. We shuffled our roster to do a quick pull away and got lucky with 3 of our skaters laps starting with other elite teams which became a drafting opportunity. We gained back two minutes. Then the unthinkable happened. Three minutes into a lap, we realized that we had both timing chips on the next skaters! The skater on the track forgot the chip and his lap would not be registered, possibly giving away our lead to the next two teams. We though about trying to stop him before he passed the finish line to give him the chip but we were unsure on the legality of it. Lucky the next skater had the brains to start his lap right away. In the end we only lost the three minutes. From that point to the end we just skated who ever had gas in the tank enough to stay under 8:30min. On my last lap I finally got the opportunity to work with two other teams for a well-oiled paceline teamwork.

It was a phenomenal event that went so well. I couldn’t think of any ideas on how to make it better. Our team captain Ron was like the energizer bunny. Never did he rest that night. I never even saw him sitting down and he did as much skating as the rest. All of the Skatersquest people are so warm, friendly, and giving, it was one big family party.
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #5
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

I forgot to mention, that the secret to a good skate is in the socks. SQ picked up a DeFeet sponsorship and we all had custom socks with our logos on it.
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #6
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

Nice job Sheldon.

And congrats to all who participated. Sounds like fun. Maybe next year.
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #7
TermV

Hi all,

I skated my 4th 24Hrs with Ottawa team #63 Loups Garous (werewolves). We came in 4th place in fitness. What a fantastic race -- It's my favorite, and I look forward to it every year!

I took a TON of photos this year. People probably saw me sprawled in the grass with my skates and camera at various points around the track. I sure got a lot of funny looks.

Anyhow I've posted a whole whack of photos on Flickr. I'm still working my way through day 2 but I should be done in the next day or two.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/termv/s...7619386258985/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/termv/s...7619575490180/

If you have any special requests for a particular team, I'll be happy to look through some of the marginal shots for you. I took over 1300 photos so a lot of them are ending on the cutting room floor.

Greg
TermV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #8
gopherfan

Once again, the best skating event out there! The lack of rain made it that much better!

results
Wilby's Pics
Guy's Pics

I was blessed to skate with a great group including skaters from 3 countries as well as Toronto, Quebec, and the host club Ottawa Inline Skating Club. Rabid Lap Dogs III didn't have the big name skaters or the young ice speedsters, but we did have a determined team of skaters where everyone did their part.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #9
LOU solitaire

Default Thanks

Thanks to Wilby, for these photos which will leave an unforgettable memory.
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #10
ComeUndone

Default Better Late Than Never...

Race report from the Team Women On Wheel's perspective:

part 1
part 2
ComeUndone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #11
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

WOW! Now that's a race report! Thanks Candy for your excellent work with the team and the report. WOW! rocks!!!

LezSk8!
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Intrepid

Thanks for the fantastic race report, that put me back in the race. Congratulations to you and the WOW team on the beating the PSR.

I was the overall organizer of Skater's Quest's three teams and captained our rec team. I had the pleasure of skating an entire lap with one of the WOW skaters mid-morning on Sunday; it was one of my faster laps. I also heard discussions from our elite and fitness teams that they had skated laps with WOW skaters.

This was SQ's fourth year at Montreal 24-hour and we have always been challenged by the Flying Fossils and the mulitple Clown teams. This year, each SQ team beat the equivalent Clown team and our elite team finished two places ahead of the Fossils.

Let me know if you are ever in the DC area, there are a lot of SQ skaters that would like you to skate with them.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #13
ComeUndone

Thanks guys! It was a good weekend though my only regret was that I didn't get to socialize with other skaters as much as I would like. SQ has a great team and I'm sure our paths will cross sooner rather than later.
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #14
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Great report, Candy! I wish I could have been there to witness the duel.

I was wondering about of the strategic points you discussed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Wong
We didn't hold on to this 2 lap lead for long but regained it once more within the next 30 minutes. … It would first appear that catching up and sitting in the draft would be a logical thing to do. The truth is, that never happened. We all made a point to pick up our pace and blew past them so there was no chance for them to sit in our draft either. In fact, the Poulettes did the same to us too. Since the two teams were so directly pitted against each other, none of us wanted to give the other team the advantage of our draft. In a way, it was an attack on the other team's morale too.
It seems to me that with a 2-lap lead so late in the race (4 hours to go?), the best strategy would have been to sit in the Poulettes’ draft and run down the clock, forcing them to waste energy trying to drop you. If they tried to sit in your draft, so much the better -- a rival that stays behind you can’t make up any distance!

Just saying…
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #15
ComeUndone

Well, there is a simple answer to that. This is a relay race so every lap you're matching skaters of varying speed against each other. There is no guarantee that our skaters can hang in their draft every lap for 4 hours.

That's why in the case when we have the speed to get ahead, we take advantage of that. In the very least, if the exchange (or anything for that matter) has gone wrong, it still buys us some time.

Remember, the Poulettes were not our only drafting opportunity on the course either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
Great report, Candy! I wish I could have been there to witness the duel.

I was wondering about of the strategic points you discussed:

It seems to me that with a 2-lap lead so late in the race (4 hours to go?), the best strategy would have been to sit in the Poulettes’ draft and run down the clock, forcing them to waste energy trying to drop you. If they tried to sit in your draft, so much the better -- a rival that stays behind you can’t make up any distance!

Just saying…
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #16
Intrepid

Lawrence - how are you doing? We missed you in Montreal this year.

I posted the SQ Montreal race report in another thread, here it is:

The Montreal 24-Hour race was an outstanding event again this year. The weather was early-spring with low humidity, blue sky, day time temps in the low 70s, night time low around 50, and 24 hours of nonstop skating. Skater' Quest brought three teams, one in each category - elite, fitness, and recreation. I was the overall SQ organizer and the recreation team captain. Our elite team was skating against several world-class teams so it was quite an accomplishment for the team to finish fifth in the division and fifth overall from a total of about 85 teams in the event. Sheldon was a key member of the team and he was a boost of energy to the team when he showed up at track at around 11:00pm. With Sheldon throwing down consistent lap times during the night and early morning, the elite team captain was able to rest some of the other team members for the big push in the final hours of the race to secure the fifth position as the sixth and seventh place teams gunned for the SQ team.

Our fitness team ended in the top half of their category, we don't know the final placement yet but with an hour and a half remaining in the race they decided to forgo moving up in placement in order to help the recreation team attempt a third place finish. (more on that in a minute)

Our recreation team is comprised primarily of the "senior" members of SQ. The team includes PhD and Master's graduates from Johns Hopkins, George Washington, Georgetown, and other leading universities. They are chemists, biologists, engineers, analysts, and lawyers working at places such as the NIH Genome Project, Department of Homeland Security, American Red Cross, and the Library of Congress. This team went just to have fun and to be part of a very unique skating challenge. However, at 4:00am on Sunday morning we found ourselves in fifth place less than a lap behind the fourth place team. So we stepped it up and in several hours had passed that team and were gapping them. Third place however looked like an impossible challenge as we were two laps back. We were slowly closing the gap during the late morning hours but it was clear that we would run out of time before we could catch them. The fitness team coach offered his team to pull the rec team skaters on the laps in order to increase our team speed. There was unanimous agreement by the fitness team members and at around 11:00am the two teams synched up in the hand-off zone and for the next hour a fit team skater pulled a rec team skater for the entire lap. At each handoff there were four SQ skaters - two handing off to two receiving the batons. It was quite an exciting final hour but we did just miss third place. However, fourth place out of 47 rec teams was quite an accomplishment.

MC - getting two skaters synched to skate together is tough. Once the fitness and rec teams made the decision to skate together it took almost an hour before a fit skater and a rec skater were in the handoff zone together. From that point on the fit and rec team skaters worked together around the track for the final hour of the race.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #17
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeUndone View Post
Well, there is a simple answer to that. This is a relay race so every lap you're matching skaters of varying speed against each other. There is no guarantee that our skaters can hang in their draft every lap for 4 hours.

That's why in the case when we have the speed to get ahead, we take advantage of that. In the very least, if the exchange (or anything for that matter) has gone wrong, it still buys us some time.

Remember, the Poulettes were not our only drafting opportunity on the course either.
Okey-doke... your strategy worked, well done!
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #18
vtskater

Default Results

Lap times for each team have been posted

http://www.inline24.com/results.php
vtskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #19
LOU solitaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
Okey-doke... your strategy worked, well done!
Hi Lawrence.

I broken my world record with - a littel - drafting 574.56 km (357 miles) in 23:53 (579km in 24:08 = 359.85 miles).
In September in Lyon, France, I shall make an attempt to break the world record officile broken in 2008 by the dutchman Henry Visscher with 541km 336.23 miles, and in 2004 by Italian Mauro Guenci with 543.5km 337.8 miles.

The European are the most motivated on long distances these last years.

Montreal is near USA, but where were the American solos in Montreal? Lawrence was hurt (knee damaged), but on a country of 250 millions ?, where were solos (soli) ?
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #20
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Better late than never I'll say...

Montreal Pics

More pics you might be interested in-

Toronto Inline Speed Club Practice

Niagara Falls

Quebec City

Adirondacks

Rochester (Strong Museum of Play)

You can view all of these galleries using a slideshow (best way to view them IMO). The link is on the left side.

Btw, Sheldon is being way too kind. We skated together for about a millisecond before he blew me away - I was tired and nearly worthless at that point. Congrats to you for your incredible lap times