S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:33 AM   #1
TheBalkan

Default Balkan event organiser requests advice

Thanks for adding me. I am the organiser of a major international skating event, "The Balkan Burning".
If i may ask a few questions, we need advice to ensure that our event becomes the worldwide phenomenon that we plan.
We have never organised a skating event before.

1. Any idea how well spread is the membership of this forum?
Our event will be held in "the Balkans" but open to everyone. Are there many here from Europe?
2. The 11 countries that comprise "the Balkans" are smaller in area than the state of Texas and "The Balkan Burning" incorporates a staged event in each of the 11 capital cities and held over a 27 day period.
Is it too much to expect skaters to participate in all 11 events, sometimes 3 days in a row in different cities, several hundred kilometres apart?
3. With the above schedule, is 10km per event too much to expect?
To warrant the term “endurance” and to support our planned high prize money, would you increase or decrease the distance of each stage?
4. Is there any reason why inline and quad skaters can NOT be treated equally in terms of times and prizes or would you suggest the events be restricted to either inline OR quad and NOT both together?
5. Is there any reason why the organisers should restrict entry to those who can substantiate their skills and experience?
6. Would you suggest separation of male and female skaters or at least, different treatment for prizes?
7. Would you consider such an event extreme or endurance?
8. Can you advise what you consider to be a fair amount to offer as prizes for each stage AND for overall winner of the 11 stages?
9. In other major events, how deep does the list of prize winners go?
Could you look at our temporary, horribly-amateur web site and tell me if our planned prize schedule is realistic?
http://www.mybatik.com.my/balkans/index.htm
10. Do other major events provide free food, accommodation, travel or anything?
11. Would you expect skaters from far afield, to participate or what would encourage them to do so?

Many thanks for your help AND we just may require an event manager to handle the entire operation. Any one interested?
cheers all
Greg Barlow
Founder and Consultant to the Balkan Rendezvous.
TheBalkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #2
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBalkan View Post
Thanks for adding me. I am the organiser of a major international skating event, "The Balkan Burning".
If i may ask a few questions, we need advice to ensure that our event becomes the worldwide phenomenon that we plan.
We have never organised a skating event before.

1. Any idea how well spread is the membership of this forum?
Our event will be held in "the Balkans" but open to everyone. Are there many here from Europe?
2. The 11 countries that comprise "the Balkans" are smaller in area than the state of Texas and "The Balkan Burning" incorporates a staged event in each of the 11 capital cities and held over a 27 day period.
Is it too much to expect skaters to participate in all 11 events, sometimes 3 days in a row in different cities, several hundred kilometres apart?
3. With the above schedule, is 10km per event too much to expect?
To warrant the term “endurance” and to support our planned high prize money, would you increase or decrease the distance of each stage?
4. Is there any reason why inline and quad skaters can NOT be treated equally in terms of times and prizes or would you suggest the events be restricted to either inline OR quad and NOT both together?
5. Is there any reason why the organisers should restrict entry to those who can substantiate their skills and experience?
6. Would you suggest separation of male and female skaters or at least, different treatment for prizes?
7. Would you consider such an event extreme or endurance?
8. Can you advise what you consider to be a fair amount to offer as prizes for each stage AND for overall winner of the 11 stages?
9. In other major events, how deep does the list of prize winners go?
Could you look at our temporary, horribly-amateur web site and tell me if our planned prize schedule is realistic?
http://www.mybatik.com.my/balkans/index.htm
10. Do other major events provide free food, accommodation, travel or anything?
11. Would you expect skaters from far afield, to participate or what would encourage them to do so?

Many thanks for your help AND we just may require an event manager to handle the entire operation. Any one interested?
cheers all
Greg Barlow
Founder and Consultant to the Balkan Rendezvous.
Welcome to the Skatelog forum.
You may get a better responce posting this under "speed skating" or "speed events"
Now to the questions.
1, I know of some from Europe but no idea how many.

2, Hard to say, I don't think it has been much. sounds a bit like the "Tour De France" on skates. Interesting.

3, Any decent skater should be able to handle 10K a day for 11 days. They may or may not think of it as "endurance" They may need to learn to pace it a bit.

4, All things being equal the quads would stand a chance with the inlines. That is to say take top skaters on both and the inlines win hands down.
So if you want to have both in the race they should be timed as two races.

5, This is a good one. the reason to need proof of skills and experience would be if you expect 100s or 1000s of skaters. I'll get to a bit more about that later, read on.

6, At least, different treatment for prizes?

7, I will leave that one for the folks that would realy try to win it.

8, I'll think about this one.

9, The money looks good to me, but it may cost more to race then you have a chance of winning.

10, I don't know of any that provide it all but most I have seen have at least snacks at the end. Things like friut, water, energy bars etc. A 10k may have at least one water point in the race, Can depend on the weather.

11, Maybe, money can be a big draw for the top skaters, Fun is the draw for the rest.

Now for my thoughts,
This sounds like a lot of fun and a good challenge, but may cost to much to compeate, and take a fair amount of preplanning, Trans port, housing, food etc.
I would think having different classes could help draw more people. That is to say one class for the elite skaters going for the cash prizes, skating the whole thing.
Then what we call Rec. skaters or maybe age groups skating one day for medals. You might look at this http://northshoreinline.eventbrite.com/
and other races to see how it is put together.
I hope we can get some that do the bigger races to take a look at it and see what they think.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #3
slowsk8

I just noticed this on your site, Competitors must wear full protective equipment at all times, including adequate protection for head, ears, chin, elbows, wrists, hands, fingers, shoulders, knees, ankles and will not be allowed to compete without such protection

I think if you leave it in you will lose all the elite skaters.
The norm is to requier helmets and recommend knee, elbow and wrist pads.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #4
TheBalkan

Smile Balkan Burning - many thanks for replies

Invaluable advice. Do you mind if i respond?
2. "sounds a bit like the "Tour De France" on skates" - That's our intention. You'll see we have 3 major international sporting events including cycling, but the skating is getting good media reactions.
4. OK, we'll separate quads and inline. I thought we'd have to. Means more prize money but we think we can handle it.
5. Yes, we do expect over 1,000 skaters despite skating not being that big in the region.
Most will only do 1 or 2 stages.
6. More advice needed. Pro inline men, 1 minute later pro inline women, 1 minute later pro men's quad, 1 minute later quad women, 5 minutes later the fun skaters? How would that work?
Same prize money for all 4 categories, 10 deep per stage?
Please advise????
9. OK, so we add in free accommodation. Free dinners, energy drinks and energy snacks already budgeted. Dorm accommodation but it's expensive so we may offer it to a limited number of pro entries. We want this to be the biggest prize money in the world.
What's the biggest that you know of?

"Different classes" is good advice.
We need to know how deep do most CASH prizes go?
We've got medals, trophies and certificates of completion.

Skaters do NOT have to do ALL stages. Entirely up to them.
By the time we have the last stage in Athens, only those with a good chance in the top 50 will bother. Can't see any way around that.

Many thanks for your invaluable advice.
I'll copy the thread into the Speed skating.

"The norm is to require helmets and recommend knee, elbow and wrist pads."
DONE. Thanks for that.
Cheers
greg barlow
TheBalkan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
europe, inline, international event, quad, road skating