S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old August 17th, 2015, 10:27 AM   #1
Zacariah

Default Aluminium support inside boot

Hi Doc,

I'm looking at mounting a pair of vans skate shoes, but the sole is very thin/flexible rubber, so i'm thinking of using a 1.2mm thick piece of aluminium cut to the shape of the innersole. I just wanted to ask your advice and see if you had any other ideas on what i could do. At the moment i'm just trialling countersinking a normal countersunk bolt into it, but by the time you countersink it so it's flush you're not left with much meat and i'm worried this would be almost as likely to pull through as the rubber sole.

I've spent a bit of time searching but can't seem to find any information on anyone doing this, so maybe it's not the greatest idea? heaps of people seem to glue carbon fibre to the bottom of the shoe but that isn't going to help stop the bolts from pulling through.

Cheers,
Zac.
Old August 17th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacariah View Post
Hi Doc,

I'm looking at mounting a pair of vans skate shoes, but the sole is very thin/flexible rubber, so i'm thinking of using a 1.2mm thick piece of aluminium cut to the shape of the innersole.

Interesting. I was going to do that to a pair of DCs for a local sk8r but we tried it without first and had no issues I was aware of. Just off the top of my head, I don't think it would be too comfortable.

I just wanted to ask your advice and see if you had any other ideas on what i could do. At the moment i'm just trialling countersinking a normal countersunk bolt into it, but by the time you countersink it so it's flush you're not left with much meat and i'm worried this would be almost as likely to pull through as the rubber sole.

Look up Tee nuts. They seem to be the ticket to mounting that type of shoe to a plate. I mount everything I build with tee nuts except for a very few rare cases.

I've spent a bit of time searching but can't seem to find any information on anyone doing this, so maybe it's not the greatest idea?

This issue is not the mount as much as it is the shoe structure.

heaps of people seem to glue carbon fibre to the bottom of the shoe but that isn't going to help stop the bolts from pulling through.

Cheers,
Zac.
Heaps?? I must be falling behind in my reading. I am aware of just a couple of folks that claim to be successful. The thing you missed about the carbon fiber sole additions is the main purveyor of same likes to glue the plate to the other other side of the carbon fiber. Nothing to pull through.

In addition, I don't recollect him using just carbon fiber. The preferred materiel is a carbon fiber / plywood composite called Dragon Plate.

If Tee nuts don't solve your problem... well, you want to shoot Armadillo a PM. He claims to be the master of gluing sk8s together. I'm sure he can walk you through his process.