S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old February 17th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #1
batonstar

Default Back outside spin

Anyone got any tips for learning the back outside spin. I'm an adult skater and been skating for about 5 years and so far can only manage a back inside spin (the normal upright one you start to learn 1st) and the sit spin.
I have been given lots of opportunity during lessons to try this spin and other ones but just cannot grasp how to perform any other spin other than the 2 I mentioned above, so I'm thinking perhaps there might be some other techniques or tips I could use (other than what I have been told already by my coaches) to try and get another spin under my belt.
batonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #2
larryoracing

Smile

Batonstar,

Are you going to the state games at Holiday Orange? I wish I could give some good advice, but the only ideas are the following.

1) While trying to go into a OF upright spin or OB upright spin my coaches teaches the entrance for these spins.

a) Going/skating backwards Step onto the ROB edge, then turn to the left and press of the LOF Edge for the OF upright spin. Seems to help if you have strong edge going into the spin you are trying to perform.

b) Going/skating backwards step onto the LOF edge, then the RIF edge then rock onto/three turn onto the ROB upright spin. I do not have this spin down yet. I’m still learning also.

c) I feel the Roll Line Dance skates makes it easier for a beginner to learn how to spin, because of the very flexible truck action in the skates.

2) Some people like that new spinner tool, where you step onto it and spin like you would if you were skating. Kind of like a lazy-susan which you step on top of it on the floor/ground, then spin around on top of it.

3) I don’t know if practicing LOF three turns would help with the LOF upright spin. Or if trying to do LOF Loop circles would help with a LOF upright spin.

4) Same would go for LOB three turn on a big circle. And if doing LOB loops would help the LOB upright spin?

Sincerely,

Larry Otani..spins are my weak point. Haven't got much lesson onto them myself.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #3
Nostalgic

The OF upright is a pivot spin in which you pivot your skate around the OB wheel. The free leg is used as a balance. The problem most people have with the OB spin is that they cannot find the centerpoint of the spin. This was my problem. I never did solve it although I did not try very hard. Until you can feel the center of the circle your skate is (supposedly) describing you cannot do the spin.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 12:55 AM   #4
markwphoto

@Batonstar, I'm kind of in the same boat as you learning the OB spin/sit spin/camel but I've made a lot of progress the last few weeks. I started skating when I was 18 and skated competition a few years. I always had a very good left IB upright and sit spin but I could never grasp the outer back. I stopped skating around 25 and fast forward quite a few years, I started back at it when I turned 40 last year.

Even though I'm not as young as I used to be things seem to be clicking a lot faster for me now. I guess it's because I'm understanding the mechanics of how things work a lot better now and I can analyze what I'm doing wrong now on my own.

Here's what helped me:

1. Practicing a lot of figure 3 turns on a right inner forward to right outer back 3 turn. This will help you get used to the flipping motion you need to change to the outer back edge. Make sure the 3 turn slides and doesn't hop. Also after you do the turn make sure the left hip is higher than the right hip that you're skating on! I mean like seriously exaggerate it. This was key for me and helped me elsewhere. More on that later.

2. After rolling the figure circle with 3 turns. Roll outer back circles in a smaller diameter. Not quite as small as a loop circle but this will get you used to pressing the edge. Try to feel the pressure on your pinky toe and press the outside of your right knee to the pinky toe. Again be sure to hold your left hip up and don't poke your right hip out!

3. Still practice - From a still position with your feet about shoulder with apart push and roll a right inner forward. Be sure to feel the pressure on the right inner heel wheel. When you're ready push off with the left foot and slide the inner heel to the outer back. Key points make sure you lift your left hip up higher than the right and don't poke out your right hip. As far as the arm the biggest thing is to not let them move at all once you commit to the turn.

4. After doing the above for it seems like a billion times you can start rolling a deep left inner forward to a deep right inner forward 3-turn slide right into the outer back. As soon as you make the 3-turn press your knee to the pinky toe and hold the pressure as long as you can. The more you do it the smaller the circle will get and before you know it, you'll be spinning an outer back.

My outer back is getting more consistent with each practice and I've only been working on it for a few weeks. The outer back sit is also getting there as well. I can't quite get it as low as my inner back sit but I'm sure I will eventually. Now as for the camel... yeah I'm still working on that but I made some progress yesterday with 3 good spins that spun for 2 revolutions.

As I said before the key for me was not dropping my left hip and not poking my right hip out. After getting this right it has also helped me tremendously with my jumps! I went from single jumps to doubles over night just by fixing my hips! I have to consciously tell myself before I jump (or spin for that matter) "hold your left hip up," and every time I do I land my doubles and nail my spins every time. It's like it's magic.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions if you have them. I'll try to help as best as I can.
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #5
Ancient1

Default It was an accident that made it work

I love the OB upright spin. The IB was easy and the OB was not good at all until a mistake on a jump made it work.

I was doing a double mapes and. I love to do a high wrap. This one time I failed to check completely. I extended my left leg (free leg) on the landing but I was still rotating and my arms were fully open. OH NO!

I shifted my weight on my outer forward wheel and what the heck, I was in an OB upright spin. IT FELT GOOD. I mean perfect balance. I let it sink in and finally terminated the spin nicely.

I was able to duplicate the edge and feeling at first by doing a wide inside forward arc and then flipping the edge to and OB edge. It took a little time to stabilize the entry then soon I could slide in to an entry and do the spin.

What does that mean: Sometimes a good thing can Come from a mistake.

Just know that once you get the feeling on the outer forward wheel and the balance you won't forget it. You will have it.
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #6
markwphoto

Here's a short video of me practicing over the past few months. I have a couple of clips doing the OB upright as well as an IB sit change OB sit.

https://youtu.be/UUBTvpkbg-s

Hope this helps!
Old March 9th, 2017, 06:15 AM   #7
larryoracing

Smile Totally cool. What type of skates do you have?

What division will you skate?

Larry O
Old March 9th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #8
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwphoto View Post
Here's a short video of me practicing over the past few months. I have a couple of clips doing the OB upright as well as an IB sit change OB sit.

Hope this helps!
Great video, thanks for sharing it. That's above my skill level but it looked really fun.
Old March 9th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #9
rwsz

coming along nicely Mark, 1/4 turn more in the air on the 2 mapes and u got it. good work
Old March 9th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #10
markwphoto

Thanks all! I'll be skating freshman/sophomore B this year. @RWSZ, I've got my rotation clean on most days but every once in a while I miss by a 1/4 turn like I did in the video. Off skates I can rotate about 2 3/4 so that triple may not be too far away but I'm not rushing for it. :-D
Old March 10th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #11
rwsz

Quote:
Thanks all! I'll be skating freshman/sophomore B this year. @RWSZ, I've got my rotation clean on most days but every once in a while I miss by a 1/4 turn like I did in the video. Off skates I can rotate about 2 3/4 so that triple may not be too far away but I'm not rushing for it. :-D
cool and good luck in competition,,,,,,,,,,,as u know off skates is different and the triples dont come as easily as doubles lol.
Old March 13th, 2017, 02:18 AM   #12
Ancient1

Default nice

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the vid. Very nice. your IB sit CHANGE OB sit is nice. The most noticeable is that you are in control. When you are in control then everything else will fall in place. Nice form also.

Quote:

Hope this helps!
Old March 14th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #13
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

Sunrise. I love that floor.
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 03:00 PM   #14
mamaderuby

https://goo.gl/photos/Fz3g7XLnwUdZrBCv6

Hi Batonstar. Here is a video of my daughter in which she is performing both OB spin and OF spin (a work in progress). She reckons a good entry into spin is essential and she has changed her ROB wheel for a harder one, which she believes is also a help. My apologies if video is not clear enough. It was taped on mobile phone in vertical. Good luck!
mamaderuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 04:23 AM   #15
larryoracing

Smile Thanks for the video.

I really enjoyed it.

Larry O
Old June 7th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #16
mamaderuby

mamaderuby is offline   Reply With Quote