S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old June 21st, 2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Mystralhawk

Default Possible bad plate mount?

Good morning everyone!

I'm hoping that the experts here would be able to help me with what I believe could be a bad plate mount (or I could be wrong and I just need to get used to it).

I'm a roller derby referee in Maryland. I've been skating inline for 15+ years and just recently started skating on quads for the past year. I originally had a set of Pilot Falcon plates mounted onto some Antik MG2s. I recently got a new pair of boots (Vanilla Blackout Brass Knuckles) and had a fellow derby ref mount my plates for me.

My left boot feels pretty good. However my right boot when skating and pushing off (and turning) puts a lot of pressure on the inside edge of my foot and the ball of the foot. Almost as if it's solely pivoting on the ball. I've tried different socks, I'm using a thin (Spenco Comfort Thin) insole, different lacing techniques.

I guess my question is, could it be the boot not working for me? A bad mount? It does appear that the right boot is mounted slightly off/different from the left.

When I asked the colleague who mounted it, he said it should be fine and that I would just need to get used to it, or maybe the boot is too big for me.

I know that he uses the Snyder tool and then toes it in slightly. He mounted my Antiks and they were great.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Mystralhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 09:26 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystralhawk View Post
Good morning everyone!

I'm hoping that the experts here would be able to help me with what I believe could be a bad plate mount (or I could be wrong and I just need to get used to it).

Interestingly, one can adjust to about anything with the proper mind set. That said....

I'm a roller derby referee in Maryland. I've been skating inline for 15+ years and just recently started skating on quads for the past year. I originally had a set of Pilot Falcon plates mounted onto some Antik MG2s. I recently got a new pair of boots (Vanilla Blackout Brass Knuckles) and had a fellow derby ref mount my plates for me.

OK that right there is a clue. The BK boots are not the same caliber as the Antiks. If they fit ya, fine and dandy... How did you determine the correct size??

My left boot feels pretty good. However my right boot when skating and pushing off (and turning) puts a lot of pressure on the inside edge of my foot and the ball of the foot. Almost as if it's solely pivoting on the ball. I've tried different socks, I'm using a thin (Spenco Comfort Thin) insole, different lacing techniques.

Same Falcon plates??

I guess my question is, could it be the boot not working for me?

I certainly could.

A bad mount? It does appear that the right boot is mounted slightly off/different from the left.

How different is different??

When I asked the colleague who mounted it, he said it should be fine and that I would just need to get used to it, or maybe the boot is too big for me.

2 different sized feet?? Pretty common. Unfortunately, same size shoes never solve that.

I know that he uses the Snyder tool and then toes it in slightly. He mounted my Antiks and they were great.

So, look @ the soles of your Antiks. That should tell you right away if the mount is the same.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Go measure your feet on a Men's Brannock device. See if they are different.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 09:53 PM   #3
Mystralhawk

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly Doc.

So I believe my feet on a Brannock is a size 9 (I wear size 9 Clark Desert Boots but 8.5 Red Wing Iron Rangers). I ended up getting a size 10M because when I got a size 9M BK, my big and second toes would curl at the end even in derby stance. Unfortunately Vanilla no longer offers a half size, so I went a full size up. They dont feel uncomfortable and I don't appear to have a substantial amount of space in front of my toes.

I'm using the same Falcon plates.

I am attaching some photos of the plate mount here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3FY1SMkgs6Rfq1BF9

The Antiks are mounted differently. But from what I understand, it may be also because the sole and shape of the Antiks are different from the BKs.

Really appreciate the help Doc!

Last edited by Mystralhawk; June 23rd, 2018 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Clarified some text.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 04:19 AM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default Good luck Fred.

Woah, that's all I'm saying lol.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 08:32 PM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Woah, that's all I'm saying lol.
C'mon Marshall, You know I love a challenge. It's not like I have never solved a sk8rs mount / size issues before.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 08:52 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystralhawk View Post
Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly Doc.

So I believe my feet on a Brannock is a size 9 (I wear size 9 Clark Desert Boots but 8.5 Red Wing Iron Rangers). I ended up getting a size 10M because when I got a size 9M BK, my big and second toes would curl at the end even in derby stance. Unfortunately Vanilla no longer offers a half size, so I went a full size up. They dont feel uncomfortable and I don't appear to have a substantial amount of space in front of my toes.

OK The Brannock also has a width and arch measurement. Those are very helpful besides the actual size.

I'm using the same Falcon plates.

I am attaching some photos of the plate mount here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3FY1SMkgs6Rfq1BF9

Uh pretty ugly in my book.

The Antiks are mounted differently. But from what I understand, it may be also because the sole and shape of the Antiks are different from the BKs.

Yes the BK soles are different, no the rules do not change because of it. What happens is the finished mount looks funny but they sk8 fine.

Really appreciate the help Doc!

No sweat, Drop me a PM
Old June 23rd, 2018, 11:12 PM   #7
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
C'mon Marshall, You know I love a challenge. It's not like I have never solved a sk8rs mount / size issues before.
I know, lol so do I.

But even for me and where I put my plate as front to rear and alignment, that was way wonky looking.

It litterally looked like of set toe stops , centered, on the wrong side boot, and the plate just lay where ever, with the heel somewhat centered.
Old June 24th, 2018, 12:43 AM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Unhappy Pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I know, lol so do I.

But even for me and where I put my plate as front to rear and alignment, that was way wonky looking.

It litterally looked like of set toe stops , centered, on the wrong side boot, and the plate just lay where ever, with the heel somewhat centered.
You hit it on the head. As I pointed out, when the front axles are properly centered on a Vanilla, the alignment looks cockeyed when compared to the "conventional train of thought" mount.

My very first pair of Zanes back in the day drove me nuts. I made look "right" and they sk8ed like $hit. Then I did what the measurements told me. They looked funny but sk8ed fine. So much for the "settled science" of mounting mentioned in the quad forum.

But, what I see in the pix is not what I would do.
Old June 24th, 2018, 01:58 PM   #9
Mystralhawk

Thank you gentlemen!

It certainly appears that I might need to get these remounted and see where I go from there.

If the remount doesn't help then I may consider an alternate boot.
Old June 24th, 2018, 04:34 PM   #10
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default One other consideration

BKs are sized in women's sizes. That had slipped my mind.
Old June 24th, 2018, 05:20 PM   #11
Mystralhawk

Thanks Doc! I did order up so that it would be a men's 10. Saw your PM and will follow up!

Cheers!
Old June 25th, 2018, 10:02 AM   #12
rwsz

he might have used a Snyder tool for mounting purposes but he didn't even go by the markings on it from what I can see.
to me its a bad mount and can use a little adjustment in the front and on the heel of one of them. just my opinion/.
Old August 9th, 2018, 02:33 AM   #13
Mystralhawk

Hi all,

So I finally have my own Doc Sk8 skates and I was most definitely missing out. I've never had more reactive and dynamic skates. It is amazing how comfortable and powerful these skates feel.

So in short, it is definitely a bad mount. But also a boot that didn't work for me.

Can't thank you enough Doc. Now for the missus's skates and I won't hesitate to recommend you.