S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old July 16th, 2018, 01:27 AM   #1
Oicusk82huh

Default Can I pick your brain

Before I got my new plates I did a lot of research and tried to find the one that would be right for me. In addition I read many of your threads. Despite this, I ended up buying the Roll Line Matrix. It has turned out to be great for me. I just can't imagine anything better, it responds to every move.

Just wondering why you don't like it. The world of quad skating is pretty fascinating. Everyone's got such individual taste.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Before I got my new plates I did a lot of research and tried to find the one that would be right for me. In addition I read many of your threads. Despite this, I ended up buying the Roll Line Matrix. It has turned out to be great for me. I just can't imagine anything better, it responds to every move.

Just wondering why you don't like it. The world of quad skating is pretty fascinating. Everyone's got such individual taste.

Simple. Although a Matrix is a fine plate for advance arty sk8rs, it sux compared to any of the conventional geometry Roll Lines for fun and derby. I believe I explained why before but to recap, they shortened the barrel cushion to get the plate lower to the floor. OK if that's what you want, then there you have it. They ignored the law of unintended consequences however. The shorter barrel totally changes the response curve of the action. It gets stiffer, more quickly as you edge. (note this is a simple property or polyurethane.) Soooo it failed the acid test to me. It did not feel like a Roll Line.

I have been rolling Roll Lines starting with a Mistral. A 12mm non click king pin Mistral which I believe was the only one available in the US @ the time. This was before Skates US got into the game. I wish I had never sold it. Nothing since them come close, although my click action Giottos were quite good. The Rings are OK but I wish it did not have a click king pin.

One other thing to note: I run my current Roll Lines on green cushions with the action clicked all the way off. One cannot use Roll Line parts and make an action more responsive. When I set the Matrix up the same way, the difference was like night and day.... Personally, I did not like it. I could make my Giotto feel similar by cranking ~ a turn and a half into the action. So, why spend 2x as much for a plate I could not get to behave the way I wanted..

Hope that clarifies my feelings.
Old July 17th, 2018, 07:51 AM   #3
Oicusk82huh

Thanks. It's always good to hear your thoughts on skate parts as you seem to have a wealth of knowledge. I'm new to this whole thing, so I just like picking brains and getting a variety of opinions. Green cushions are softest, right? I don't think I could handle that. I have blue/medium cranked up to 7 and it's incredibly responsive. The Matrix Steel is not as expensive as the titanium, and surprisingly light in my opinion, I was expecting a really heavy plate!

But you've peaked my interest, now I need to try other plates! SEDS!!!! Also, sorry to make you re-hash all of that, I just couldn't find it.

PS: my idea of fun is the most tedious art-type crap and technical junk, some form of OCD possibly? Who knows, it works for me.
Old July 17th, 2018, 04:14 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Thanks. It's always good to hear your thoughts on skate parts as you seem to have a wealth of knowledge. I'm new to this whole thing, so I just like picking brains and getting a variety of opinions. Green cushions are softest, right?

That is correct.

I don't think I could handle that. I have blue/medium cranked up to 7 and it's incredibly responsive.

"7" ?? The number on the click nut or the number of clicks in from "loose"

The Matrix Steel is not as expensive as the titanium, and surprisingly light in my opinion, I was expecting a really heavy plate!

No and the base is even lighter than the Energy and that is no boat anchor either.

But you've peaked my interest, now I need to try other plates! SEDS!!!! Also, sorry to make you re-hash all of that, I just couldn't find it.

No sweat. But if you are adventuring in the Roll Line world, it wont be cheap.

PS: my idea of fun is the most tedious art-type crap and technical junk, some form of OCD possibly? Who knows, it works for me.
As long as you are happy. Please note: Roll Line has specialized plates for Freestyle Dance and figures. You gonna have a lot of fun.
Old July 18th, 2018, 07:01 AM   #5
Oicusk82huh

7, it's the number on the click nut! Don't roll your eye! Hahaha. It's cool, everyone's got their own groove.

It's like a whole new world has opened up! I've never been this happy!

I've never been this broke!!!!$$$$$$$$$$ And I'll do it again, especially since the reward is great
Old July 19th, 2018, 06:22 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
7, it's the number on the click nut! Don't roll your eye! Hahaha. It's cool, everyone's got their own groove.

It's like a whole new world has opened up! I've never been this happy!

I've never been this broke!!!!$$$$$$$$$$ And I'll do it again, especially since the reward is great

OK now we are gonna get technical. The numbers on the click nut are not really useful for anything unless you are working on fractions of a turn (Much more useful on micrometer actions that do not click however) You count the clicks. So counting clicks, back the nut off until it stops turning against the safety screw. It will most likely be between clicks. Then, tighten the nut until it clicks, once. That is zero. Then any amount of clicks past that is the number of clicks. If you need more than 6 (one turn I believe) you may want to look into firmer cushions. ALL king pin actions work best when they are run with minimum preload. I run mine on the zero click w/ the soft green cushions.