S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 1st, 2010, 03:11 PM   #141
DanSchallock

Pastskater - I just realized by your name that you may not be a newbie but a "pastskater" or competitor from the past and might be getting back into things now... if that is the case please disregard my comments about competing, you would obviously know all that.
.. I need to need more thoroughly..
-Dan
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:58 PM   #142
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSchallock View Post
Pastskater - I just realized by your name that you may not be a newbie but a "pastskater" or competitor from the past and might be getting back into things now... if that is the case please disregard my comments about competing, you would obviously know all that.
.. I need to need more thoroughly..
-Dan
Dan, Not all of the case with your responses, for I do need someone that has the up and up on the likes of "skating today."

I am asking about situations now, because of such changes that have progressed through the times, in which I've been gone, this being well over 20 years. I am not too sure about all of the rink's interests with the skaters, as I've been here and have heard some big differences. Your responses are especially appreciated with my interests in my tests, so thank you for any such help.
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM   #143
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Cool I feel your Pain!!

Pastskater, I too feel your pain. I am contemplating taking lessons again. Right now it would be to get my basics back in order, I have no interest in competing, and I doubt I will get back into proficiency testing??

I have had a couple of partnership offers, but there is no event that would interest on the current schedule. They made a mess of Classic Dance by adding the Blanciaga to competition dance schedule????

At 14 years old I didn't like that dance and 55 years further down the road of life, my opinion hasn't changed!!

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM   #144
DanSchallock

Ray - just asking out of curiosity... but what what is it about the Blanciaga that turns you so off that you would turn down a partner opportunity? Its just one dance right?
-Dan
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:51 PM   #145
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Unhappy The idea of them dumbing down the event

Quote:
Ray - just asking out of curiosity... but what what is it about the Blanciaga that turns you so off that you would turn down a partner opportunity? Its just one dance right?
-Dan
I was skating Classic Dance back in 1979-80 until I had my heart attack and couldn't skate a full three minutes any longer.. But the dances back then were at least somewhat challenging. Having a Bronze Medal forward skated dance in an event like Classic is totally wrong, and more an indication of how far backward the sport has gone, then anything else.:-(

I have less then zero interest in skating those kind of dances, and I probably have almost the same chances of every getting back on form for the harder dances, so actually ever competing again, is totally off my radar..I just want to skate to please myself at this point...

As far as the dance itself goes, the Blanciaga, is actually technically pretty hard to do correctly.. But I never liked it and used to and still do refer to is as, The Blanciugly ...

Old December 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM   #146
DanSchallock

Ray - fair enough.
-Dan
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:34 AM   #147
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
6) you are perceived as more involved by the coaches and your club and ultimately that perception will benefit in how much those people are willing to put into you.
This is absolutely true from what I have witnessed. The level of attention that my daughter and get is fantastic, in part, because we are there at practice a LOT. It makes a big difference to be there. You pick up on so much from other skaters and from stuff your coach hollers across the rink. And when she sneaks over and watches you when you think she's off doing something else entirely. LOL

So, when we are relative newbies (especially older newbies like me) it can be embarrassing and a little nerve wracking, but at the end of the day I think you will feel better for having stepping into the "rink" as it were.
Just something to consider.
It can be SO nerve wracking. But, it is so worth it. Heck, I still have days when I feel like that at practice. Like last month, when I fell during the club practice doing a 3 turn and hit the floor and bounced. I ended up with a bruise the size of a melon on my back side.

The nice things for me is that I was so excited about my daughter's competition that I forgot to worry over mine on the day of the meet.

S
Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:10 AM   #148
DanSchallock

Thats awesome that your taking your licks and getting so much better Sarah! I really feel you on all that.
I am a little disappointed that my first competition has been pushed to Feb. I was going to compete on the 19th at Bradshaw (and my kids still will), but my coach felt I wasn't quite ready, and I had to respect it. I want to be in the game so bad, I was totally willing to go out even if I wasn't landing anything... hahaha.. anyway, I'll be at Bradshaw and I'll root for your girls, and then I'll be ready myself for Feb.
-Dan
Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:20 AM   #149
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Oddly enough my only interest is the tests, and getting my basics back. I was talking to our past World Team representative today and as we both agreed it is the core or as you mentioned Ray, "the basics" that we are first to establish, then move into the area(s) that are planned in our minds. I laughed, when I expressed the mental mind designing what is first and so on. Now, you'd think of cobwebs... this is after 20 some odd years.

As starting with a plan and a goal is better then nothing. I think, I'd like to be lefted alone with no such person(s) making eyes upon me. Except my coach! It will be for the first few months, making myself comfortable. Just me being on the floor with eight wheels and both feet on the floor, then move onward with more and more stuff. So, I am indeed keeping my issues with wheels and such for later, after I am feeling more content with myself on the floor.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:56 AM   #150
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Unhappy One thing that is missing these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
Oddly enough my only interest is the tests, and getting my basics back. I was talking to our past World Team representative today and as we both agreed it is the core or as you mentioned Ray, "the basics" that we are first to establish, then move into the area(s) that are planned in our minds. I laughed, when I expressed the mental mind designing what is first and so on. Now, you'd think of cobwebs... this is after 20 some odd years.

As starting with a plan and a goal is better then nothing. I think, I'd like to be lefted alone with no such person(s) making eyes upon me. Except my coach! It will be for the first few months, making myself comfortable. Just me being on the floor with eight wheels and both feet on the floor, then move onward with more and more stuff. So, I am indeed keeping my issues with wheels and such for later, after I am feeling more content with myself on the floor.

One thing that is missing these days, are the large cadre of skaters of various levels, at the practice sessions... Although I started taking lessons when I was very young, I learned quite a bit just observing and trying to emulate the skaters around me on the floor. As a very young kid trying to learn free style, I was in a sea of much better skaters, Junior, Intermediate and Senior Mens skaters abounded at the rink.. All one had to do was watch, and follow suite.. One of my buddies was a very good dance skater, and the dances well, all I had to do was aks, and I got a full dance lesson..

Today I miss having people around to emulate and learn from, and to be pushed a bit, by...These days there is only one other skater I see on a regular basis, that can push me and that I can learn from. Times have changed..

And being part of a Club is an important part of developing skills and learning from group involvement.. Sara, I'm sure your daughter will find plenty of kids around her to push and pull her along. That was some of the most fun I had on skates was practicing and teaching and learning as I went.. And those kids they learn faster and take the bounces much more in stride!!

Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:01 AM   #151
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
Thats awesome that your taking your licks and getting so much better Sarah! I really feel you on all that.
I am a little disappointed that my first competition has been pushed to Feb. I was going to compete on the 19th at Bradshaw (and my kids still will), but my coach felt I wasn't quite ready, and I had to respect it. I want to be in the game so bad, I was totally willing to go out even if I wasn't landing anything... hahaha.. anyway, I'll be at Bradshaw and I'll root for your girls, and then I'll be ready myself for Feb.
-Dan
Don't be too proud of me. I had to go back to practicing on the wall till that stupid bruise was gone. It's almost gone a month later.

I can totally empathize on the waiting till February feeling in the opposite direction. I was planning to wait until Feb to start competing in the "sub" Loops category but my coach says I'm ready now. She's been right about everything else so I will trust her. She told me to put my Roll Line skates on and do it and see what I thought. Yup, no problems with that plate. On the Harlicks/Atlas combo, I feel like I have SUCH a hard time with the inside edge on the change loops that my confidence goes through the floor. I have the same problem on the backwards figures with that plate. The silly thing is that the category is so small at the Bradshaw meet right now that I'll be skating against my 7 year old. And she will probably beat me. LOL

Since Bradshaw is only 5 minutes from my house, I'm hoping I'll get to stay all day and watch everything. Roseville was far enough away that the other half of this one car family was DONE by the time Lily and I finished skating.

S