S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old September 8th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #1
Ogsk8erboi

Question Bearing help

I know there are many threads on bearings but I am wanting to get opinions on 3 bearings in particular for a "spare" boot.

Please save the bone swiss/super 6 or ceramics are the best because I own them both. I am needing answers or opinions to which of these economical bearings being used for Freestyle, Dance, and just recreational skating on a 7mm axle give a longer roll are more durable with less cleaning for.

the Bones china reds vs Qube 8 ball vs the NMB bearings?

thank you to anyone that can help.
Ogsk8erboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 03:46 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogsk8erboi View Post
I know there are many threads on bearings but I am wanting to get opinions on 3 bearings in particular for a "spare" boot.

Please save the bone swiss/super 6 or ceramics are the best

No problem there, I don't believe any of Bones advertising.. Or the hype, or the Bones owners that are all about justifying their over priced bearings (maybe buyers remorse?? IDK..

because I own them both. I am needing answers or opinions to which of these economical bearings being used for Freestyle, Dance, and just recreational skating on a 7mm axle give a longer roll are more durable with less cleaning for.

the Bones china reds vs Qube 8 ball vs the NMB bearings?

Most of the derby team I sponsor have given up on the reds and roll Qube 8s. I have a couple of pair of sk8s with the 8s in them as well, both steel and ceramic.

thank you to anyone that can help.

NMBs are hard to find in 7mm these days but they are on my list of "why would you need anything else" bearings. I would say 35-40% of my sk8s have NMBs in them, 30% with 8 ball Fafnirs, and the rest have Qube 8s, Qube Swiss, Bont 167s and random 688s and 607s. I know I have one set of OG (as in Y2K vintage) Bones Swiss ceramics in one of the pairs but am not sure which ones..

I'm not a big bearing freak. YMMV.
Old October 14th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #3
ricw91756

Default bearing help

Below is a link to the bearings I use..keeping in mind I'm 58 and 70# overweight. My skating is for health reasons. At my age, I don't need to be trying the styff I did in my teens. These bearings are sealed on both sides, greased, and rated to 3100 rpm's. Quite enough unless you're a speed skater.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/7mm/Kit220
ricw91756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #4
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Most of the derby team I sponsor have given up on the reds and roll Qube 8s.

I'm not a big bearing freak. YMMV.
Same here, on both...

I have all sorts of fancy bearings but I don't see or feel much difference between them. Since I tend to "practice what I preach" I started using Bones Reds several years ago for my 6-8 hours of session skating a week. The first set of Reds started having problems after about a year. This was evidenced by black gunk on my wheels that was coming past the bearing shields. Clean and lube, same thing. Close inspection showed deterioration of the balls. Second set same thing, about a year and the gunk would start. I still think Reds are a good bearing for most skaters. 300-400 hours at a brisk pace is likely beyond common usage.

I've been on Qube 8-balls for considerably over a year they still roll very well and don't spew black gunk. They appear to be worth the extra $10.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #5
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

My problem with bearing manufacturing is nearly no one produces REAL information that would be vital to choosing a "best" bearing for your application.

Such as radial clearances, axial play, raceway and ball finishes in microns, actual raceway depth, cage material and type as there are more than just 1 plastic style cage, runouts, there's a crapload of stuff that matters, and even with extensive research you'll only end up pissed off that you still can't make a informed choice. That doesn't even touch on the quality of metal used, not the treating process it went through, if any....

Heck inline and quad bearing use demands a different approach to get the best performance even though they could be using the same 608 bearing size.

Bearing manufacturers like mushroom management. They keep ya in the dark and feed you $#!7