S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old September 9th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #1
wolfsbane902

Default Rubber/foam disintegration in Rollerblade Fusion x5

Hi,

I have a pair of Rollerblade fusion x5s which i got 2years ago, but the foam/rubber (i assume it is) bottom in the boot has disintegrated. It is in the boot frame itself, under the heel of the bootliner. I took out my bootliners hoping to wash them and found this.

Before I bought the skates, I took out the bootliners and they were perfect, the foam/rubber thing is attached to the boot itself, not the liner.

Can I still wash my bootliners? They stink lol.

And, how do I replace the rubber/foam lining in the boot? Am I supposed to scrape off the remaining and replace them? The front of the boot has it too, where the balls of the feet are supposed to rest. I believe from the amount of disintegration, the foam/rubber lining is about a cm or two thick.

i believe I can just scrape off the stuff from the bootliner, my concern is how to replace the cushioning :C

heart pain :CCCC

wolfsbane902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

I suspect you can replace the foam with neoprene (think wet suit.) Having it fail like that indicates the boots were wet or damp for a long time. Humidity / moisture can destroy certain types of foam. Scrape off the residue and fins the proper thickness neoprene. cut to size and glue it into the boot shell.

You may want to consider removing the linings and letting everything dry after sk8ing.

As far as washing the liners?? I cannot say for certain.
Old September 10th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #3
matguy

A good source for useful bits of neoprene is cheap computer mouse pads.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-027-_-Product

These are about 8" x 10" x 1/4", so you can probably get one good foot pad out of each mouse pad (depending on your shoe size, obviously; measure first.) Shipping didn't increase above the base $2.99 until I put 14 of them in my cart. You can get 7 of them for less than $10 (both are fully arbitrary numbers) you can easily double them up if you need to (I would think that Gorilla Glue probably works well to glue them together) and still have plenty in case you make a mistake.
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Moisture lets Bacteria and fungi grow, and it/they can eat rubber. My guess is it did not have a biocide agent in the bottom. Only in the liner itself.

Doc is spot on as usual with the recommendation of neoprene foam.

As for a glue base, I would not use gorilla glue. I'd use shoe goo, and smear it well into the foam, a nice thin layer. Gorilla glue foams up as it cures, and could become uneven in spots or possibly uncomfortable, its also hard to remove, shoe goo on the other hand is incredibly strong but you can peel it back without much trouble. The mice pads would work well if nothing else is available for a reasonable cost. Funny as it is though, I have thrown away more foam rubber than I care to think about that would have made a primo fix for your skate.

The topside of the mouse pads would be much more durable but lack some grip for your foots liner.
Old October 13th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #5
wolfsbane902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
I suspect you can replace the foam with neoprene (think wet suit.) Having it fail like that indicates the boots were wet or damp for a long time. Humidity / moisture can destroy certain types of foam. Scrape off the residue and fins the proper thickness neoprene. cut to size and glue it into the boot shell.

You may want to consider removing the linings and letting everything dry after sk8ing.

As far as washing the liners?? I cannot say for certain.
The liners are really hard to remove from the shell itself..if they were easy to remove, I wouldn't have gotten this problem hahaha! I am afraid the liners would spoil, because I have to force them in (I try not to, tho) after I remove them. And the tip of the liner would dig into the foam. I managed to hand wash my liners and all is well with them..

now the foam! I tried digging them out but it is so hard. I used a wooden disposable chopstick, plastic rod.. Another thing is that, there is a circle of foam where the ball of the foot is suppposed to rest.

I wonder if there is anyone / any shop that could help me remove the disintegrated foam/rubber (which is it, foam or rubber tho?) and help me replace with mouse pads! [great idea on the mousepads, I had no idea where to find small qty of neoprene for this purpose] I would need some chemical to get every last bit of the sticky mess out of the boot..the hard shell aint helping cos I can barely maneuver my hand in there :CC

This is my only pair of good working skates :CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
A good source for useful bits of neoprene is cheap computer mouse pads.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-027-_-Product

These are about 8" x 10" x 1/4", so you can probably get one good foot pad out of each mouse pad (depending on your shoe size, obviously; measure first.) Shipping didn't increase above the base $2.99 until I put 14 of them in my cart. You can get 7 of them for less than $10 (both are fully arbitrary numbers) you can easily double them up if you need to (I would think that Gorilla Glue probably works well to glue them together) and still have plenty in case you make a mistake.
thanks a lot mat! but on newegg it doesnt say the material, does it matter if it is neoprene, or as long as it is some sort of spongy material that doesnt disintegrate too fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Moisture lets Bacteria and fungi grow, and it/they can eat rubber. My guess is it did not have a biocide agent in the bottom. Only in the liner itself.

Doc is spot on as usual with the recommendation of neoprene foam.

As for a glue base, I would not use gorilla glue. I'd use shoe goo, and smear it well into the foam, a nice thin layer. Gorilla glue foams up as it cures, and could become uneven in spots or possibly uncomfortable, its also hard to remove, shoe goo on the other hand is incredibly strong but you can peel it back without much trouble. The mice pads would work well if nothing else is available for a reasonable cost. Funny as it is though, I have thrown away more foam rubber than I care to think about that would have made a primo fix for your skate.

The topside of the mouse pads would be much more durable but lack some grip for your foots liner.
Once again, a concern using glue - what if I face another disintegration issue in future, it gonna be hard to pry it back out. And then without glue it would be sliding around under my liner?

Dont' live in the US, dont know what is shoe goo...same thing as contact cement? Could you advise where you get your foam rubber (and fix mine for me pls :P)?
Old October 13th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

if you use neoprene and actaully happen to get some good neoprene foam instead of a blended SBR(its hard to tell the difference , even for me and I work with the crap) it will have enough zinc oxide in it to last a long while against degradtion from moisture/mildew/mold/fungus even without a antimicrobial shield. The other option is EPDM foams, though they can range in firmness from soft memory foam to stuff they put in expansion joints.

Its not just foam thats in there its a "closed cell foam rubber" most if not all "foams" like used for padding gaskets and the like are a rubber base compound with clay/talc/calcium carbonate(thats right essentially DIRT) as a filler product. The actual amount of polymers in "foam rubber" is usually about 25-30% with a heavy polymer base being 40-55%

Removing the foam thats in there.. use gasoline, in small amounts or acetone. A powerful citrus degreaser may also work depending on the stock of rubber originally used. The plastic will handle nearly all solvents as its much more stable than the rubber, just dont go soaking it in there. even a light oil may help such as marvel mysery oil. it could possibly dissolve it enough to clean it out of there. I would seek to remove all the foam possible and reline either the boot or the sole of the inline shell. If you glue it in there it wont be a problem as if it does disentigrate then you'll be back wher eyou started and removal of weak rubber is easy as it tears apart, well you know about that now :P

If you use the mouse pad option I would glue the fabric side to the sole of the liner after it was throughly cleaned. Shoegoo is basicly contact cement/rubber cement.

I'd apply a glob to both surfaces, and attempt to push/spread/impregnate the glue as well as possible into each surface to be glued. Less is more here, while it wont structurely be much different the cure time will be. laying it down like you would a screen protector on a phone or window tint to reduce air pockets in the bonding area, and once placed a moment of standing on the boot, stationary of course, to squeeze out excess. Id stand in place after alignments were made(helps to have a friend here ) until it sets up on the outside and wont shift around. It will take a few days to cure. I tend to try and wait a week before messing with it when gluing a footbed.
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #7
wolfsbane902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
if you use neoprene and actaully happen to get some good neoprene foam instead of a blended SBR(its hard to tell the difference , even for me and I work with the crap) it will have enough zinc oxide in it to last a long while against degradtion from moisture/mildew/mold/fungus even without a antimicrobial shield. The other option is EPDM foams, though they can range in firmness from soft memory foam to stuff they put in expansion joints.

Its not just foam thats in there its a "closed cell foam rubber" most if not all "foams" like used for padding gaskets and the like are a rubber base compound with clay/talc/calcium carbonate(thats right essentially DIRT) as a filler product. The actual amount of polymers in "foam rubber" is usually about 25-30% with a heavy polymer base being 40-55%

Removing the foam thats in there.. use gasoline, in small amounts or acetone. A powerful citrus degreaser may also work depending on the stock of rubber originally used. The plastic will handle nearly all solvents as its much more stable than the rubber, just dont go soaking it in there. even a light oil may help such as marvel mysery oil. it could possibly dissolve it enough to clean it out of there. I would seek to remove all the foam possible and reline either the boot or the sole of the inline shell. If you glue it in there it wont be a problem as if it does disentigrate then you'll be back wher eyou started and removal of weak rubber is easy as it tears apart, well you know about that now :P

If you use the mouse pad option I would glue the fabric side to the sole of the liner after it was throughly cleaned. Shoegoo is basicly contact cement/rubber cement.

I'd apply a glob to both surfaces, and attempt to push/spread/impregnate the glue as well as possible into each surface to be glued. Less is more here, while it wont structurely be much different the cure time will be. laying it down like you would a screen protector on a phone or window tint to reduce air pockets in the bonding area, and once placed a moment of standing on the boot, stationary of course, to squeeze out excess. Id stand in place after alignments were made(helps to have a friend here ) until it sets up on the outside and wont shift around. It will take a few days to cure. I tend to try and wait a week before messing with it when gluing a footbed.
PROGRESS REPORT

Managed to dig the gunk out, and this is how it looks like:

Gunk from one boot:

Thin material from ball of boot:

Would a degreaser/acetone etc rust this?

Old October 16th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

nah, rust happens when prolonged contact to a moist environment exists, and since theres no rust there yet I doubt it would even if you left water on it for an extended period of time.

That aside, clean and dry your work area though, just in case.