S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 28th, 2009, 04:37 AM   #1
CANative64

Default A Visit to Jim Pollard - Any Questions?

(post deleted by moderator at original poster's request)

Last edited by Kathie Fry; January 30th, 2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Original poster asked moderator to delete post
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

CAnative64,

My questions to Mr. Pollard would be.What does he think caused the rink operators to think so badly about hosting an artistic club? Is it strictly the money issue or something else? As I have said before in this forum, if the skaters have no place to practice and grow, the sport can not grow.

I have more but lets see if others have any questions.
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #3
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Default senior olympics

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16656

I think the NGB should pursue every possible avenue to grow the the sport.
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #4
sk82day

Not that I didnt have some questions its I just saw this thread.

Alright here we go.

1. Why and how is 25% of USARS revenue spent on travel expenses when members/World teams get little money for competing?

2. Why is no effort being done to contact rinks that do not have competitve skating? Granted this idea of having someone go to rinks and try and get rinks involved isnt a bad one, just the cost of it and so few of rinks will be talked to with this method, shouldnt this program start with a mass mailer type promotion, followed by phone, then followed by in person?

3. Like you said, the fact questions get sent to the office with no response?

4. Why do members not hear from USARS? What I mean is just like on skatelog, do we ever hear from Board members? And its not just on this site other disciplines have some sites that members frequent and they have a chat room, is there a reason that Board members cnat go on once or twice a month and stay up to date with ideas and concerns?

5. Voting, I understand alot has to do with USOC by laws as to who can run for Board and who can vote for those. 1st Why is it like pulling teeth for eligible voters to get ballots? Not just on time but get ballots in general? Roller Sports are mainly financed by whom? The average skater, Not WC, Not Jr WC, the average skaters are whom support this sport but not only do they not get a voice on the Board they cant even vote for anyone. Is there any reason that 1 or more of the numerous appointed spots on the Board, ie a couple of Grassroots, couple of At-Large, cant be changed to be a spot eligible for and voted on by the average skater? By-laws say a certain amount 20% has to be certain athletes but the rules do not say how the other 80% has to be elected.

6. My most important one. Over the last 10-20 years numbers in roller sports have dropped significantly, there was even a quote from Mr Pollard in the Fall Board Minutes about the NE Region, "numbers dont lie, we have known this was coming for 5 years" if the Board has known this for 5 years, why was no effort done to try and prevent this, or even DISCUSSION by the Board. Not just this one issue but why do we not see ANY discussion by the Board trying to come up with ideas or plans to prevent these drops? They have been occuring for years and the Board has historicaly ignored discussion or plans to prevent it, why? There are plenty of people involved with Roller Sports on the athlete level that could help this sport, why arent they being utilized for things just like this?

I have many many more but this is a good start. I think number 4 should be touched on with Mr Pollard. People are irate, angry, upset with the Board and the way things are going, maybe if they would reach out to the members the hostility wouldnt be as bad. Its obvious that the Board is still living in the past, technology is here that give easy cheap ways of discussing problems and ideas but they do not get utilized at all. It has become painfully obvious the old talk to people at meets just isnt enough, not only is the number of meets dropping but usually Board and committee members are Directors, Judges, Coaches they do not have the time at meets to address concerns which end up not being discussed or forgotten. Again there is a chat room right here on the site as well as other Roller Sport friendly sites that would work fantastic for a discussion with a Board member(s), they need to utilize it.
sk82day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #5
Gailforce

Default Since I brought this up

Would there be any objections from the Board if we proposed roller skating as a new sport in the Senior Olympics? Also, since these competitions would be non-scanctioned (assuming), would this give skaters problems with their eligibility for Regionals, Nationals, etc.?

Gail
Gailforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailforce View Post
Would there be any objections from the Board if we proposed roller skating as a new sport in the Senior Olympics? Also, since these competitions would be non-scanctioned (assuming), would this give skaters problems with their eligibility for Regionals, Nationals, etc.?

Gail
interesting idea gail. I Hope some progress is made to make it happen.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #7
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Im with sk82day. With this site being the largest forum for roller skating, why is it that the board does not even make a minuscule attempt to answer some of our questions. We all know that they read this forum. From my being on this forum a relatively short time, I have come to realize that there are a great number of older skaters that are still passionate about artistic roller skating. I know that if the board asked us to get involved, we would all step up to the plate. All the board has to do is ask.
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #8
70's skater

Ok, Here are some others.
Some may be due to my own ignorance, And I ask these questions at the risk of sounding profoundly ignorant. But I believe I am probably an average, typical skater fairly representative of many that belong to clubs, and If I don't know the answers, probably many more also do not.
1. How are changes to rules made?
2. Who decides what are possible changes?
3. Of Changes that are possible, Who votes on the best resolution?
4. Are there representative from each region voting like our congressmen & senators voting the will of their region? If so, who are they? If not, why not?
And if so, lets' get that person or persons contact info out there so that we can be heard.
5. The sport has been acknowledged to be in decline. What is being done to stop the decline? What measures specifically? If done, What results?
6.Why isn't there a US roller sports sanctioned online discussion group?

I'm sure there are many more questions that are far more in-depth and involved than I could even speculate about.
70's skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #9
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk82day View Post

6. My most important one. Over the last 10-20 years numbers in roller sports have dropped significantly, there was even a quote from Mr Pollard in the Fall Board Minutes about the NE Region, "numbers dont lie, we have known this was coming for 5 years" if the Board has known this for 5 years, why was no effort done to try and prevent this, or even DISCUSSION by the Board. Not just this one issue but why do we not see ANY discussion by the Board trying to come up with ideas or plans to prevent these drops? They have been occuring for years and the Board has historicaly ignored discussion or plans to prevent it, why? There are plenty of people involved with Roller Sports on the athlete level that could help this sport, why arent they being utilized for things just like this?
Having skated and coached in the 60's and 70's in Rhode Island, we had 5 rinks with artistic clubs. Now there are none. Now there is no RI state meet and maybe there will be no NE region meet. What is wrong with this picture.
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #10
james pollard jr

Last edited by james pollard jr; March 8th, 2009 at 12:17 AM.
james pollard jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #11
RogerSK8s

Default Couple of thoughts here

CANative wrote:
with 80++ views of this thread and only two responses

I learned LONG AGO not to bother writing to the board.... so in that light, why bother to comment here, either

maybe you'll see the light, too.

and
Gailforce wrote:
since these competitions would be non-scanctioned (assuming), would this give skaters problems with their eligibility.

This should NEVER be in queston. Example - if I drive in a NASCAR race, do you think CART would tell me that they do not want me racing in THEIR events ?

It's that "ALL or nothing" mentality that I just can't seem to fathom

Where's SKATEGHOST when you need him/her
and where's that new organization (with none of those good old boys owning it) when WE need it
RogerSK8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #12
BackofthePack
Someone has to be last

Yes indeed,

My question is this:

What will it take to replace the current "good old boy" mentality with some fresh, open minded people who are capable of thinking outside the box?

Everyone is crying the blues over how skating has gone downhill, but from my viewpoint the board I had to deal with 20 years ago doesn't appear to be a whole lot different then the board of today. Why do they continue to do business the way it was done 40-50 years ago. If you want to stay on the cutting edge you have to reinvent yourself from time to time. But our board seems to be forever reactionary, and never visionary.
BackofthePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #13
james pollard jr

Last edited by james pollard jr; March 8th, 2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #14
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Having skated and coached in the 60's and 70's in Rhode Island, we had 5 rinks with artistic clubs. Now there are none. Now there is no RI state meet and maybe there will be no NE region meet. What is wrong with this picture.

there is going to be an NE region meet and a couple of other meets in the NE region this year.
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #15
skater.mom
Proud Mom of Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANative64 View Post

Let me know...or not.

Peace

CAnative64
We choose not to open mouth and insert foot, as you offered, yet you condemn us for that choice?
Why would I want someone as condecending as you appear to be in your "essays" to represent me?
Why is it that Mr. Pollard can't answer member questions to the concerned member asking?
Why does my skater matter less than you matter?

This may all seem disrespectful, and it probably is. Respect has to be earned. Respect my skater, respect me, respect my opinions and you'll have my unwaivering, eternal support and utmost respect.

Last edited by Kathie Fry; January 29th, 2009 at 10:40 PM.
skater.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #16
james pollard jr

Last edited by james pollard jr; March 8th, 2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #17
james pollard jr

Last edited by james pollard jr; March 11th, 2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #18
RogerSK8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by james pollard jr View Post
<SNIP>
He wants what's best!!!
<SNIP>

Jim
I understand your Father brought up the decline that the sport has seen for quite a few years at a board meeting.
I also understand the board chose to recess at that time.

You say that he wants what's best for the sport but did he bring the subject up AGAIN and push for some discussion ?

Now I understand that he is probably concerned for and wants to protect his board position but what good is it if he sits back after 'mentioning' something but it is dropped and he doesn't REALLY push for what he believes in ?

Now do you see why I feel that it is a complete waste of time to write ANY letters to this board ? If nobody on the board listens to the board members themselves, then why should they listen to any of the PAYING (and sk8ing) members ? We are not at all important to the good ol' boys network. The board doesn't need us and they seem to tell us that all the time.

Or am I wrong ?

Now, I do respect that you come to this board and take our abuse. That is commendable. However, as several others asked, have any of the board members shown up here and had ANY type of discussion ? I recall seeing only a handful of people who are even remotely connected to the board show up here. John Rangel is one but I don't recall seeing him here for quite a few months.
I also recall seeing some dialogue between Bill Spooner and the SKATEGHOST but that was a relatively short lived conversation, too.
RogerSK8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #19
james pollard jr

Last edited by james pollard jr; March 11th, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #20
sk82day

The dang lifers never.... JUST KIDDING this time.
JPJ and I have butted heads a few times but I think we both know where each other is coming from and both of us definatly have the same goals, to see Roller Sports succeed.
With that said I have an idea and question that maybe JPJ might be able to answer or help with. I brought up utilizing the chat room right here on skatelog. Would Mr Pollard be willing to come on to a site and have a discussion with members say once a month. My idea would be put a poll up with 4 topics that could be discussed, ex Rules, Finances, Nationals, and say...Elections. The poll is run up to a designated time before a group chat. The topic most voted on would be the topic for the discussion in the chat room. Many of us know what would happen if Mr Pollard would come to a chat with no guidelines the questions would be all over the place and nothing would get answered or solved and probaly a discussion wouldnt occur again. So a topic gets chosen and is the only thing discussed. If it goes well, which I think it would you start the process again for the next month. JPJ do you think your father would be up to that? I think we all understand his time around Nationals and Worlds might not be available, but this could be a way to get the Board to be more excessable to members. (Shouldnt have to be like that but something needs to get started.) I know it will be tough for myself to stay on just one topic but I understand something needs to change and maybe this could be a way to start. I think maybe Roger would go along with something like this, even stay on the topic of discussion.
sk82day is offline   Reply With Quote