S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 18th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #41
snyder-dude
"DRUMMING FOR JESUS"

Smile

Jim, I am 56 now been a drummer over 40 yrs played every genra of Christian music over 20 yrs. I just started back after in 2010 all my skates were stolen in the 1980's . It was hard but I did for my 6 yr old daughter driving up to 38 miles one way to the artistic rink. I have sprained my left ankle 5 times prior to skating but the boot I have it is impossible to twist. My problem has been my wrist and my hands when falling. I have fallen pretty hard but I don't want to quit.I plan to start some free style as well nothing drastic but it is something I need to do.I kick my self in the hind end for not continuing on and making a way back 30 yrs ago with Ranalli's (still have 16 of them). I started in about 1959 with wood wheels and quit in about 1980.I was raised in roller rinks since the age of about 4 on. I went thru other personal issues and the yrs literaly flew by untill 2010.I sure hope you can return to skating soon. Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Ray,
I will get there. It will just take me longer. What a bummer.

There is one thing that I am better at than when I skated competition 30 years ago. Back then I could not keep time worth beans. I relied on my dance partner. I took some piano lessons in the 80's after I stopped skating. I also became the church music director. My wife (now my exwife) was the church pianist and organist. I had no choice but to learn music. Now I can't help but count beats on just about anything I hear. It sort of spoils some of the music, because I can tell when the singers are not in time or just slightly off. I can also tell the real good singers that are spot on.

When I did start back about 2 years ago (I only skated for 1 year then), my dance timing was so easy and spot on. I was very excited about how well music had enriched my skating. Now if I can only get back on the skates and keep my wife happy.
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #42
Aaron Inami
Italian Product Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
My favorite teacher, Ernie, will also be at the rink on Monday. YEAHHHH. I found him a new student (well he found me here, and I pointed him in the direction.)
That would be me. He said that he -may- be there Monday, but it's good that he's definite now. Looking forward to it!
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #43
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Cool Now that kid was a jumper, and looked the Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuetzalPhoenix View Post
Thanks for all your help on the axel guys! And Ancient1, thanks, I get what you mean now at first I was like :S lol

I remember, on ice, watching Irina Slutskaya perform an axel from 2 left outside three turns, that'd be cool to try. Might not work as well on roller though xD

(In case anyone's interested, see her 2006 Olympics short program )
Now that kid was a jumper, and looked the Part, she looked like she grew-up riding horses.. Its funny but a lot of really good jumpers were Bow-Legged!!

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #44
KMA

I have a lesson today. My first half hour with this coach. I hope to work on the glide waltz, figure 112a,b. We were doing 20 min lessons, but they were too short.

I tried my new less squashed 3 turn on Monday. It looks ok. Very scary. Not sure why doing it "correct" is so hard. Of course the three turn on the left foot is real nice. (not very modest) Now to get this thing off the rug and onto the floor

Tell me the reason I have to spin like a "righty"? My daughter and I are the only two that spin "lefty" at lessons. (She is a real lefty, I am right handed but left footed). The teacher mentions it, and tries to learn the other way. Is there a reason. I was told that if I ever have a partner, he will spin right-handed. I guess that means we have to spin the same direction? True?
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #45
Ancient1

Katy,
If you do pairs, you really want to spin together. Synchronizing a spin is easier if you are both going in the same direction.

As for doing singles; it is USUALLY but not always easier to learn doubles and triples when you jump and spin in the same direction. But I have known very good freestyle skaters who could do both directions.

Personally, I think your instructor is right. Learn everything in the same direction for now.

As for the 3 turn. It's normal to favor one foot or direction over another. Just practice. You will get it.

Quote:
I have a lesson today. My first half hour with this coach. I hope to work on the glide waltz, figure 112a,b. We were doing 20 min lessons, but they were too short.

I tried my new less squashed 3 turn on Monday. It looks ok. Very scary. Not sure why doing it "correct" is so hard. Of course the three turn on the left foot is real nice. (not very modest) Now to get this thing off the rug and onto the floor

Tell me the reason I have to spin like a "righty"? My daughter and I are the only two that spin "lefty" at lessons. (She is a real lefty, I am right handed but left footed). The teacher mentions it, and tries to learn the other way. Is there a reason. I was told that if I ever have a partner, he will spin right-handed. I guess that means we have to spin the same direction? True?
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #46
Aaron Inami
Italian Product Freak

Default First skate injury

Well, the title says it all. I'm not working on anything right now. Something happened on Monday. I was changing directions by turning one of my feet around and when I put weight down, it caught the edge. I twisted my knee on the way down and then had the audacity to land on it -- luckily I wear knee pads. Ice went on this shortly after and I was done for the night. Doctor says I twisted my ligaments and I'm not allowed to skate for at least a week (which makes me really sad ). Not that I could skate anyways, being stuck in a knee brace. All this occured before I could meet a new coach for lessons, which is really unfortunate because I think he came out of his way to meet this last Monday.

Thinking about this, I'm not sure that I've ever been fully comfortable with the floor on this San Ramon rink. Whenever I start skating it, I feel like I'm starting new again (as opposed to our Milpitas rink). I'm starting to think that this San Ramon rink is too tight for the wheels I have. I've gotten to a combination of 95A/99A roll-line wheels in a checkerboard pattern and this has really opened up movements when I skate the Milpitas floor. However, I think its still too tight when on the San Ramon floor. Is there such a thing as too much grip? Thoughts I have ringing through my head as I wait for healing....
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #47
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Aaron--I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. It sounds like it happened kind of like my sprained ankle did. I hope it's better super quick.

I don't have any freestyle experience but the floor at Sunrise is pretty tight. I use the Bones 103s on my dance skates and very rarely feel sticky on them now.

S
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #48
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Default Hair buns

So, Coach wants Lily and I to wear our hair in buns for the figures competition this weekend. Both of us have hair almost to our waist so we started practicing putting it up like that this morning. I think I'll be heading for hair nets and more bobby pins after practice this morning.

S
Old October 20th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #49
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
So, Coach wants Lily and I to wear our hair in buns for the figures competition this weekend. Both of us have hair almost to our waist so we started practicing putting it up like that this morning. I think I'll be heading for hair nets and more bobby pins after practice this morning.

S
lol welcome to the skating world.
Old October 20th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #50
rwsz

i know coaches want skaters to be conventional. my son was a lefty but was taught righty, he skated well and had a good career doing it that way. but to this day i wonder if he would have been a better skating do what was natural for him a lefty. plus it confuses judges and they dont know what it was sometimes on jumps lol.
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #51
KMA

Sarah Can you get the hair up? My girls used to dance in a Mexican Folk dance group and I had to put their hair up what a chore. The first few times someone else had to do it for me.

Putting up my own is hard also.

What helped the most was hairbands with rubber on the outside, they really grip. BUT they are very hard to get out with out pulling out your hair.

Aaron I'm sorry about your knee. I hope it is better soon.
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #52
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
Sarah Can you get the hair up? My girls used to dance in a Mexican Folk dance group and I had to put their hair up what a chore. The first few times someone else had to do it for me.

Yup, I put hers up every single day in braids or a ponytail or pigtails so that part is easy. Getting the bun even is the harder part. I snagged some bun hairnets at Sally's this morning so we will give it another go tomorrow. My head is aching from having it up in the bun for 4 hours this morning. I usually wear it in a ponytail and that doesn't seem to pull on my head as much but even the ponytail is down past my shoulders. I see a haircut in my future.

Putting up my own is hard also.
I think mine was easier than hers. Poor kiddo, I think I stabbed her in the head a few times by accident with the bobby pins. This is one situation when Aquanet is actually your friend.
S
Old October 20th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #53
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default Watch the Hair Pins, they fall out !!

Quote:
S
Watch the hair pins they fall out and are a bugger when someone hits one.. One of my pairs partners was big with hair pins until the coach laid down the law after I and several other skaters tripped and fell on a few of them..

Old October 20th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #54
Aaron Inami
Italian Product Freak

Quote:
Aaron--I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. It sounds like it happened kind of like my sprained ankle did. I hope it's better super quick.

I don't have any freestyle experience but the floor at Sunrise is pretty tight. I use the Bones 103s on my dance skates and very rarely feel sticky on them now.

S
Yeah, I thought about your sprained ankle as I was typing this. If you look at SkatesUS analogy, my roll-line 95A/99A combination would like a Bones 101A/105A combination (if they had 105A). I've never skated the Bones Elites, so I really can't be sure.

--thanks Katy.
Old October 20th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #55
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Wink Some rinks are fun and you can't wait to get back, and then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
Well, the title says it all. I'm not working on anything right now. Something happened on Monday. I was changing directions by turning one of my feet around and when I put weight down, it caught the edge. I twisted my knee on the way down and then had the audacity to land on it -- luckily I wear knee pads. Ice went on this shortly after and I was done for the night. Doctor says I twisted my ligaments and I'm not allowed to skate for at least a week (which makes me really sad ). Not that I could skate anyways, being stuck in a knee brace. All this occured before I could meet a new coach for lessons, which is really unfortunate because I think he came out of his way to meet this last Monday.

Thinking about this, I'm not sure that I've ever been fully comfortable with the floor on this San Ramon rink. Whenever I start skating it, I feel like I'm starting new again (as opposed to our Milpitas rink). I'm starting to think that this San Ramon rink is too tight for the wheels I have. I've gotten to a combination of 95A/99A roll-line wheels in a checkerboard pattern and this has really opened up movements when I skate the Milpitas floor. However, I think its still too tight when on the San Ramon floor. Is there such a thing as too much grip? Thoughts I have ringing through my head as I wait for healing....
Some rinks are fun and you can't wait to get back there to skate, and other are not so fun..

I never liked hard floors, wood floors laid directly on concrete, or coated concrete floors.. I skated meets on some of those kinds of floors and they just never felt right, the feel and the sound wasn't right.. Of course I grew up skating on Cushioned, Sound Proofed Floors, they gave the impression that they were softer, but they still hurt when you fell..

Gripeness is another issue.. Again I grew up skating on hard wheels, and bare wood floors everything you did, you slipped and slid a bit.. But Three turns were easier, and so was spinning, not that I was such a good spinner in the first place :-) And with jumping there was no such thing as a bad landing either you were over the skate on a shallow edge or on your butt. I think now days I prefer the stickier floors, and the modern wheels, yep the turns are a bit trickier and I can only imagine how much harder spinning is???

Floor types are a bit personal, there is one local floor here, that was water damaged and it is half bare wood and half plastic coated wood.. And the repaired area is pretty badly done.. So the floor is not a favorite with me!!

Old October 20th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #56
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default Injuries are part of Skating..

Quote:
Yeah, I thought about your sprained ankle as I was typing this. If you look at SkatesUS analogy, my roll-line 95A/99A combination would like a Bones 101A/105A combination (if they had 105A). I've never skated the Bones Elites, so I really can't be sure.

--thanks Katy.
Sorry to hear about your problem, but injuries have always been a part of skating.. It's Hell being off wheels, but everyone of us has had our oops and off skate time..

Having the confidence in you set up is a major issue if you want to progress.. Finding the right set-up that works on every surface you'll be skating on is key to feeling comfortable and being able to push yourself to the next level..

Good Luck, heal well and get back out there and give it heck..

Old October 20th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #57
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Wink Sometimes the different styles work???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Katy,
If you do pairs, you really want to spin together. Synchronizing a spin is easier if you are both going in the same direction.

As for doing singles; it is USUALLY but not always easier to learn doubles and triples when you jump and spin in the same direction. But I have known very good freestyle skaters who could do both directions.

Personally, I think your instructor is right. Learn everything in the same direction for now.

As for the 3 turn. It's normal to favor one foot or direction over another. Just practice. You will get it.
Sometimes the different styles work, my first pairs partner could spin and jump in both directions, which opened up a bunch of new and interesting pieces of content.. Unfortunately my bad spins and her desire to skate singles killed that partnership :-(

Old October 21st, 2010, 12:10 AM   #58
KiwiCowgirl

Aaron - Sorry to hear about your knee My friend just hurt her ankle in the same way. I hope it feels better soon.

Sarah - When I was riding competatively (Dressage etc.) I had a bunch of hairnets that were attached to cute little clips with velvet bows on them. You just made a loose-ish bun by twisting your pony tail round and round and then shoved it all in the little hairnet and clipped the bow above the bun. The bow looked cute and went some way towards covering up any imperfections in the bun itself - as you can probably tell I was never great at getting my hair to look perfect. I don't know how this would work with lots of hair though. Mine was only ever to the bottom of my shoulder blades.

Just 10 days or so until my new skates arrive! (I can barely contain my excitement!)
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:39 AM   #59
Ancient1

Dang Aaron,
Don't do that. Getting hurt... hurts!
Really sorry to hear it.

Quote:

Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:13 PM   #60
KMA

Had a fabulous lesson. Worked on making my mohawk turn very "crisp" and tight like a book.

Met a former dance skater who helped me with my runs and crossovers and what ever those steps are called that are sort of a half run at the end of the rink (for your inside foot when you don't do a crossover but want to make it look like a run). No more bounce in my step; I get it now. He said you skate through the floor, not on it. Loads more power in my stroke now. Legs and butt are very sore this morning. Tried the progressive tango with this new stroke wow the pattern is very doable, and I can cover the floor. I think I still have the steps where they belong.

Finalizing plans for a trip to portland to skate at the Oaks. CANT WAIT. two weeks.