S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:09 AM   #21
FormerRedwoodCitySkater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
All of you who are skating again; It is your fault. It is especially the new kids fault. I am now suffering long to get my weight down. I don't know if I can do it, but I am working hard on it.

I want to get back to skating again. I need my weight down. SO I NOW HAVE TO SUFFER.

My wife cooks too well for me and treats me like a king. Not good for keeping the weight down. She would make me a great breakfast with 2 eggs, 3 sausage patties, 2 slices of bread. Then I would have a decent lunch at work then I would have a big dinner. It is hard to tell my wife "NO" or "ENOUGH". But I did discuss it with my wife and I laid out a plan. She agreed and in fact, she is joining me... But don't tell her I know that she cheats. Actually she doesn't need to lose weight.

Ok, here it is:
Breakfast:
M-F -None
S-S - traditional
Lunch:
All week - Sandwich or chicken - try to keep it under 1000 cal. Usually keep it to about 600 cal.

Dinner:
6 days - Prepackaged Lean meal, Less than 500 cal.
1 day (Either Saturday or Sunday) a nice steak or something as my reward.

Most of the time I am eating 1000 to 1500 calories a day. I have been doing that for almost 3 weeks now. I have dropped almost 3 lbs over that 3 week period.

Most of the time I am not hungry. The worse part is waiting till lunch time to eat my first meal. But after that meal, I am fine for the rest of the day. The good thing is that on the weekdays, I am too busy working that I don't have time to eat so temptation isn't usually a problem. While I am at home, my wife keeps her eyes on me and that keeps me straight.

The result is that I intend to be able to skate in about a year or 2, and it is all your fault. THANKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART.

Try to make sure to keep your intake no less than 1000 calories a day. If you eat too few calories you can hit an awful plateau or even gain weight. Trust me, I know from personal experience.
FormerRedwoodCitySkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:13 AM   #22
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Thumbs up When I lost a bunch of weight, last sumer!!

When I lost a bunch of weight last Spring and Summer, I went from 208 to 185.. Mainly I stopped eating sugar, thanks to my Type 2 Diabetes.. And the fact that I really started watching what I was eating.. I was down to less then 1,000 calories a day for quite a while.. At times below 800 calories a day!! Plus I was working out at the health club and skating twice a week..

One problem I had was the work outs.. I was eating Yogurt 60 Calories per serving in the Mornings, before i hit the health club.. And I kept hitting a wall very early in my work out.. I spoke to the Diabetic Dietitian, and after discussing my work out level. She suggested I increase my intake of Carbohydrates before the work outs.. And it worked.. I started doing the smae before I skated, and that helped me be able to work harder, without hitting the wall too soon..

Nothing is free, and loosing weight isn't easy.. It take hard work, a good diet, and exercise.. And when you get closer to you target weight, a little skating will help too..

Good Luck!!

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:15 AM   #23
bolivia

Jim - we're all pull'in for ya bud. I hope you can build upon what's been said here. I think your mental process is right on about this. The key will be keep the tenacity to grind it out. Seems you're very capable to make this happen. Good luck and keep us informed!

Bill
bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:41 AM   #24
Ancient1

Bill,
I will certainly use what was said here. To everyone, Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivia View Post
Jim - we're all pull'in for ya bud. I hope you can build upon what's been said here. I think your mental process is right on about this. The key will be keep the tenacity to grind it out. Seems you're very capable to make this happen. Good luck and keep us informed!

Bill
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:33 AM   #25
Stormi
Join the Quad Squad!

Carbs are evil. There are food carbs and bad carbs. If you must have things like pasta, bread etc, have them at lunch or earlier. Not for dinner. Also if you drink alcohol, that puts on and keeps the weight on. If I want to lose some inches off my middle, I just cut out wine, and the weight falls off. But then it comes back on...coz I like my wine Good luck with it.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:20 PM   #26
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Good luck, Jim! You can do this.

I lost a lot of pounds when I started skating. For the last six months, I've only lost inches but I'm much more compact and stronger now.

S
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #27
Ancient1

This evening I had a shock when I weighed myself. I do a weight at night and in the morning. This evening I was a full 2 pounds lighter than last night. That was weird. I was just slowly going down and then boom, Big Drop. I expected minor fluctuations up and down, but mostly slowly going down, but this was unexpected.

I can't wait to see what it will be in the morning...

One good thing that has happened to me over the last year or 2 is that I am now getting 6 to 8 hours of sleep. For over 12 years I worked the graveyard shift and was only getting 3 to 4 hours of sleep (mostly 3). I don't know how I did it. I think it took a bad toll on my health. Now I have much more energy and I feel like I am doing much better.

I am looking forward to the new me. AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT... Thanks from the depths of my soul.
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #28
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormi View Post
Carbs are evil. There are food carbs and bad carbs. If you must have things like pasta, bread etc, have them at lunch or earlier. Not for dinner. Also if you drink alcohol, that puts on and keeps the weight on. If I want to lose some inches off my middle, I just cut out wine, and the weight falls off. But then it comes back on...coz I like my wine Good luck with it.
I can get away with carbs better than sugar. I can pick up pounds quick with sugar. Especially Pepsi, which I love.
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #29
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjester View Post
Its a misconception that to 'diet' you have to cut your calories drastically. A 1000 calorie (total) diet is CRAZY!

What will happen is your body will go into starvation mode and start eating muscle vs. excess fat it will also further slow down your metabolism telling the body 'store store store store'. So at first you will lose weight because muscle is bulkier and heavier than fat, but then you will replace it with fat and use less energy to move/process causing it to spiral even more.

That is if you aren't working out.

If you ARE working out/exercising you won't have enough energy to eat away the fat stores.

When you start a work out program often you have to 'slight'y increase your caloric intake to handle the new workload, which will also jumpstart your metabolism. The key is not to over-indulge.

Cut out any juices/softdrinks/canned/bottled drinks.

Drink water. The sugars/Corn-Syrup is a killer of calories.

If you are worried about over-eating during the few meals a day, drink 2 glasses of water before eating. The water will help fill you up, provide hydration and you'll feel fuller sooner.

Of course I'm saying all the right things, but I am 5'10 250lbs myself.

But since I started skating back again prepping for derby season I haven't lost weight, but I've lost 3 inches around the waist and my beer belly has shrunk a bit.
+1
I used to carry ALOT of food to work with me. I wouldn`t eat a breakfast but I would scarf down 2 sandwiches at each break (3 15 minute breaks and 1 30 minute lunch). I very seldom drank water, always a diet soda. But now I have a Clif bar on the way to work with my coffee. Those bars have anywhere between 9-11 grams of protein and around 5 grams of dietary fiber. Those bars are pretty much meal replacements. They have enough protein and fiber to carry me to my next meal, easy. At first break I`ll have a bowl of Kashi cereal GOLEAN Crunch with 2% milk. 2nd break is usually another Clif Bar. Lunch break is usually whatever is in the fridge from the night before. And last break is easy, Clif Bar and a banana.
If I feel I`m getting hungry, not sugar bottoming out just hunger, before my scheduled break I drink up some water. It teases my body into thinking its full and I won`t want to eat as much on break. Protein and fiber is key here. Protein keeps ya going and fiber keeps ya fuller longer. Plus at my age fiber is something my body needs anyways lol. And good luck Ancient1. Maybe I`ll hit what used to be Skate Inn East one day and run into ya, not literally lol.
Old February 6th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #30
Ancient1

Hi gotsk8s,
What city are you in? I see that your profile says you are in North Florida.
Old February 6th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #31
Ancient1

Rufus,
I'm not a sugar person. I never had much of a weight problem before I started using sugar substitutes, but I can't say that the sugar substitutes caused the weight gain. I have heard that sugar substitutes causes a person to be more hungry. That is why I won't eat or drink things artificially sweetened.

Now if I eat potato chips, I just put on the weight. It seems that all of those calories INSTANTLY go into fat. I love potato chips, but I very seldom eat them. While on this diet I will not eat them at all. I won't eat them even for a reward. Those chips are a diet breaker.

I am getting plenty of carbs from my prepackaged meals and still keeping the calories low. I still eat a few oz of nuts to keep the nutrients up. I have to work today and I worked yesterday (saturday and sunday), but I am off on Tuesday and Wednesday. I am looking for my reward. I get a breakfast of eggs and bacon and a hamburger for lunch. I tried the new jalapeno and cheese burger from burger king on my last reward break and it was great. I will get one more on Tuesday or Wednesday. But for dinner on those nights I will go back to a prepackaged meal. Can't over do it.

This really isn't a tough diet. Hardly ever hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
I can get away with carbs better than sugar. I can pick up pounds quick with sugar. Especially Pepsi, which I love.
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #32
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Hi gotsk8s,
What city are you in? I see that your profile says you are in North Florida.
Madison, only about 45 minutes from ya. I went to Skate Inn East a few times in the early `80`s. Whats it called now, Skate World? or some thing like that? Is Skate Inn West still around?
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #33
Ancient1

Yes to Both.

Do you have a place to skate in Madison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
Madison, only about 45 minutes from ya. I went to Skate Inn East a few times in the early `80`s. Whats it called now, Skate World? or some thing like that? Is Skate Inn West still around?
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #34
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Yes to Both.

Do you have a place to skate in Madison?
No. I go to Lake City. I go there for a couple of reasons. 1) to skate and 2) my son gets to see his granny, thats where my wife is from. 2 birds, 1 stone
Old February 6th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #35
Ancient1

The reason I asked was because of the 2 rinks here in Tally. Skate Inn has a horrible floor. Skate World has a great floor, but they won't let anyone go into the center unless you can't skate. Makes it difficult for me to do jumps and spins. Even Dance is difficult when you can't do a full pattern. They do open the center on Friday or is it Saturday night on the very late skate. But they turn out the lights. That makes freestyle a bit dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
No. I go to Lake City. I go there for a couple of reasons. 1) to skate and 2) my son gets to see his granny, thats where my wife is from. 2 birds, 1 stone
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #36
Ancient1

Ok, I will let you know exact numbers.

3 weeks ago:
Started at 305 and change: Bare Naked... OH MY! What a scary thought.

Yesterday morning I was at 300lbs exactly.
This morning I was at 299.6 exactly. I did a double weigh to verify after a scale reset.

I guess this is a skate weight watchers meeting for me.

Today I am on the diet, but tomorrow starts my 2 day treat day. I get breakfast and a jalapeno burger for lunch, but I have still eat prepackaged meal for dinner.

Breakfast will be Eggs, bacon and toast with jelly on one day and on the other day it will be Blenie (a russian form of crepes).
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #37
Ancient1

I am running into a problem. It seems my wife has taken to my prepackaged meals, so I am running out very fast. I mean that she really likes them. I am only eating one a day in the evening. My wife doesn't need to lose weight, although she thinks she does.

One good side effect (among losing weight) is our food bill has dropped dramatically. Cost per meal is between $2 and $3 now (we buy the meals on sale and BOGO's; buy one get one). Before we were eating about $6 to $12 per person per meal.

This is much more healthy and economical. Ok! I won't be upset she is eating my prepackaged meals...
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #38
DanSchallock

yeah, sounds like a good problem
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #39
Ancient1

Today was my treat day. My wife chose a chicken breakfast and a burger king jalapeno burger. I totaled the calories so far with drinks and I am at 1,400. Not too bad. I feel stuffed still. Tonight I will have a meal around 300 calories, If I can eat that much.

The way I am eating now, I have almost no hunger and lots of energy and I feel very good. I get plenty of veggies, meat, fats/oils, dairy, carbs, grains.

I ate this way when I was younger. Only real sugar, real oils, no synthetics, NO BREAKFAST. Back then I was never hungry. I started getting hungry all day when I started eating a breakfast, Low calorie ingredients and artificial sweeteners.

I can live on this way of eating. I am sorry for listening to other people as to how I should eat. This is the way I did it before and I now realize it was the right way.

Now I consider breakfast as a treat, not a meal. Not even a small amount. I realize that once I eat a breakfast, I start thinking about food shortly after. I don't know or understand why, but it happens. Maybe it kick starts my body chemicals after the sleep and makes the body think I need to replace what was lost over night. Now I have my last meal about 4 to 5 hours before I go to bed. I eat lunch about 4 to 5 hours after I wake up. I get hungry about 1 hour before I eat. It only takes a sandwich to satisfy my hunger for about 5 or 6 hours.

I finally feel like I did when I was 30 to 40 years younger and was very slim and didn't think about food. I am a bit angry at myself for not considering going back to the way I ate back then. I kept believing what everyone said about a big breakfast and eliminate sugar and eat the low fat foods.

Never again will I feel hungry again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSchallock View Post
yeah, sounds like a good problem
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #40
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Today was my treat day. My wife chose a chicken breakfast and a burger king jalapeno burger. I totaled the calories so far with drinks and I am at 1,400. Not too bad. I feel stuffed still. Tonight I will have a meal around 300 calories, If I can eat that much.

The way I am eating now, I have almost no hunger and lots of energy and I feel very good. I get plenty of veggies, meat, fats/oils, dairy, carbs, grains.

I ate this way when I was younger. Only real sugar, real oils, no synthetics, NO BREAKFAST. Back then I was never hungry. I started getting hungry all day when I started eating a breakfast, Low calorie ingredients and artificial sweeteners.

I can live on this way of eating. I am sorry for listening to other people as to how I should eat. This is the way I did it before and I now realize it was the right way.

Now I consider breakfast as a treat, not a meal. Not even a small amount. I realize that once I eat a breakfast, I start thinking about food shortly after. I don't know or understand why, but it happens. Maybe it kick starts my body chemicals after the sleep and makes the body think I need to replace what was lost over night. Now I have my last meal about 4 to 5 hours before I go to bed. I eat lunch about 4 to 5 hours after I wake up. I get hungry about 1 hour before I eat. It only takes a sandwich to satisfy my hunger for about 5 or 6 hours.

I finally feel like I did when I was 30 to 40 years younger and was very slim and didn't think about food. I am a bit angry at myself for not considering going back to the way I ate back then. I kept believing what everyone said about a big breakfast and eliminate sugar and eat the low fat foods.

Never again will I feel hungry again...
I say whatever works for you, go for it. I hope the best for ya . Just don`t give up when its working and do not be discouraged. Maintain your train of thought on this process now and continue exercising.