S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old February 8th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #41
Ancient1

gotsk8s,
No reason to give this up... I now can eat enough of what I like and enjoy it and be full. I get a steak once in awhile. I can eat mexican prepackaged or italian or what ever type of food I want as long as it is under 500 calories for dinner and 2 days a week I get treats. I try to stay under 2.5K calories on the 2 treat days. I try to stay between 800 and 1,500 calories the rest of the week and I have no problems doing it.

When I lose about 100 lbs (I will be at 200 lbs then), I will start a slow increase in calories and start skating again. I will try to slow the weight loss once I hit 200 lbs till I reach between 160 to 170 lbs. I will do that by going off of the prepackaged food for 5 days a week and on it for 2 days. Almost a reversal of my eating now. I will try to maintain between 2000 to 3000 calories at that time. Still no breakfasts, just more good food for lunch and dinner.

It's a lifestyle I use to live and one I can live on for the rest of my life and really enjoy it.

My only fear is that I will bore everyone here as I post my reports.
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #42
DanSchallock

now way man... you go! post away..
Its accountability.

plus inspiration for those not on the path yet.
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #43
Ancient1

What I have learned in the last 3 weeks reminds me of what I felt when I landed my first clean double. Shock, Awe, Excitement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSchallock View Post
Its accountability.

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #44
KMA

Well I am back on my meal plan. I fell off over the holidays. The plus is that I did not gain over the holidays, but maintained.

My plan is more or less
breakfast toast with cheese, or peanut butter
snack 1 cup yogurt w/ granola,
lunch large salad
dinner what ever the family is eating but in moderation
after skate snack quesadilla, or cheese stick.

I also always carry almonds because on the day after I skate, I need a little extra food.

Jim, you are an inspiration. My DD's do not want me to lose weight they like me "soft and squishy" I want to be at a healthier weight.

Do you mind if I share this thread with you?

I have lost since August 15 lbs, now I am at 167 I would love to be at 145.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #45
Ancient1

Katy,
I don't mind at all. I think this is a good spot for support. We love to skate for many reasons and one is for health and fitness. I think it is perfect to support each other to attain that goal.

Wow! 15 lbs... not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
Well I am back on my meal plan. I fell off over the holidays. The plus is that I did not gain over the holidays, but maintained.

My plan is more or less
breakfast toast with cheese, or peanut butter
snack 1 cup yogurt w/ granola,
lunch large salad
dinner what ever the family is eating but in moderation
after skate snack quesadilla, or cheese stick.

I also always carry almonds because on the day after I skate, I need a little extra food.

Jim, you are an inspiration. My DD's do not want me to lose weight they like me "soft and squishy" I want to be at a healthier weight.

Do you mind if I share this thread with you?

I have lost since August 15 lbs, now I am at 167 I would love to be at 145.
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #46
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
Its accountability.

Amen! It's got to be vastly more entertaining than me droning on about figures and cushions.

I think it's fantastic that you are working on your goal.

S

Ps. I really need to lose more myself. I'm losing in inches and I am obviously building muscle but the scale continues to mock me. Katy, I'm almost the same as you. I think I was 165 the last time I checked.
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #47
Ancient1

Well I don't know about entertaining...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
Amen! It's got to be vastly more entertaining than me droning on about figures and cushions.

I think it's fantastic that you are working on your goal.

S

Ps. I really need to lose more myself. I'm losing in inches and I am obviously building muscle but the scale continues to mock me. Katy, I'm almost the same as you. I think I was 165 the last time I checked.
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #48
Ancient1

This morning: 299.0 lbs. That is 1 more lb "LOST" in 3 days. YEEEE HAAAA!

Grand Total of 6 lbs so far in about 3.5 weeks.

This is much faster than I anticipated. HEY! I'm not complaining. My wife is cheering, I am more comfortable. Soon I will be able to sit down and tie my shoes instead of putting each foot on the ottoman to tie them. There are some huge drawbacks to everyday living for fat people other than health issues. I already busted a toilet seat a year ago. I will have to replace my office chair soon. I am well over the limit and it's bending. I am sure people are looking at me driving down the road wondering if the springs on the drivers side are broken or shot. Yep! Life has been tough for Mr. Fatty. But you all changed that for me. Thanks.
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #49
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
This morning: 299.0 lbs. That is 1 more lb "LOST" in 3 days. YEEEE HAAAA!
Under 300. That's a milestone.
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #50
Ancient1

Mark,
Thanks, yes it is...
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #51
Ancient1

I can't wait for my 2 days of treat is over. My wife wanted another burger and fries for lunch. I want to puke now. I am now at 1,700 calories for today. I get a 300 cal dinner tonight.

Tomorrow I get back on my normal meal schedule. I can't wait to get a roast turkey or roast beef sandwich on sour dough with mustard.
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #52
CyCy

Jim, I'm thrilled for you.

I read every post and it's lovely to see all the support going to you. Count me in!

Do you skate at all? I understand not wanting to do FS or even more advanced dances when you're not at fighting weight, but I hope you're doing session and rolling around.

I definitely need to lose weight. I'm way over my ideal weight but I don't intend to do anything even remotely risky so I think I'm safe.

So the only advice I can add to this is while you are reducing caloric intake, step up your exercise, even if it's a 1/4 mile a day.

While reading your posts my guess is that when you worked graveyard your metabolism adjusted to that clock. And not knowing your age, it may have remained at that clock, meaning early morning is just not a good time for you to intake the a large percentage of your calories.

I am hypo thyroid. Found out a year or two after I stopped skating. And the weight just packed on, plus I always feel a definite lethargia.

Sooooo...what I have to do is follow my own eating plan and for me that means increasing proteins and cutting back on everything else. And stepping up on the treadmill, working specifically with inclines AND slowing it down to work on my posture and leg extension.

AND doing situps. Situps I believe are the second most important exercise for skaters. A strong midsection is everything. It works for me.

This is what I've learned about thryoid and hormones. My metabolism is much slower than most. All the medication does is keep my metabolism from getting dangerously low and keeps it within a safe range.

But within range means squat when it comes to losing weight. If I depended on dieting, I would literally have to starve myself to lose weight, which is known to be rather torturous and ineffective to boot, takes A LONG time because the metabolism constantly adjusts to intake (as someone pointed out "starvation mode") AND you are constantly cheating or fighting the urge to cheat and it's just madness.

However, starvation mode or no, if I intake substantially less calories, eventually I will lose a lot of weight. Add to this when you grow old your metabolism slows down as well. So all in all, it's a very very uphill battle for me.

My plan is to increase my exercise which raises my metabolic rate AND dieting. And I have my fingers crossed.
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #53
Ancient1

CyCy,
Not skating for now. My wife is way to worried and she has reason. As for exercise, I walk and carry an extra 30 lbs all day long. I am standing a minimum or 2 hours a day without sitting and sometimes for several more hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
Jim, I'm thrilled for you.

I read every post and it's lovely to see all the support going to you. Count me in!

Do you skate at all? I understand not wanting to do FS or even more advanced dances when you're not at fighting weight, but I hope you're doing session and rolling around.

I definitely need to lose weight. I'm way over my ideal weight but I don't intend to do anything even remotely risky so I think I'm safe.

So the only advice I can add to this is while you are reducing caloric intake, step up your exercise, even if it's a 1/4 mile a day.

While reading your posts my guess is that when you worked graveyard your metabolism adjusted to that clock. And not knowing your age, it may have remained at that clock, meaning early morning is just not a good time for you to intake the a large percentage of your calories.

I am hypo thyroid. Found out a year or two after I stopped. Weight just packed on, plus I always feel a definite lethargia.

Sooooo...what I have to do is follow my own eating plan and for me that means increasing proteins and cutting back on everything else. And stepping up on the treadmill, working specifically with inclines AND slowing it down to work on my posture and leg extension.

AND doing situps. Situps I believe are the second most important exercise for skaters. A strong midsection is everything. It works for me.

This is what I've learned about thryoid and hormones. My metabolism is much slower than most. All the medication does is keep my metabolism from getting dangerously low and keeps it within a safe range.

But within range means squat when it comes to losing weight. If I depended on dieting, I would literally have to starve myself to lose weight, which is known to be rather torturous and ineffective to boot, takes A LONG time because the metabolism constantly adjusts to intake (as someone pointed out "starvation mode") AND you are constantly cheating or fighting the urge to cheat and it's just madness.

However, starvation mode or no, if I intake substantially less calories, eventually I will lose a lot of weight. Add to this when you grow old your metabolism slows down as well. So all in all, it's a very very uphill battle for me.

My plan is to increase my exercise which raises my metabolic rate AND dieting. And I have my fingers crossed.
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #54
CyCy

You have to do what works for you.

I'm happy for you that you're going to be skating again.

Does your wife skate? My husband does not skate. HOWEVER.....if I can lure him to the rink perhaps my claiming to be a newbee and he being a newbee will entice him to take pity on me.. (I could care less why...a partner is a partner) and maybe maybe maybe.....

dance?

woo woo!!
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #55
Ancient1

No she doesn't skate and she does not want to skate. She is just worried about hurting myself or killing myself. I almost did kill myself. Had I been much lighter I could have recovered on those falls. She is right, but that will change soon enough.

Best of luck with your hubby. Dance would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
You have to do what works for you.

I'm happy for you that you're going to be skating again.

Does your wife skate? My husband does not skate. HOWEVER.....if I can lure him to the rink perhaps my claiming to be a newbee and he being a newbee will entice him to take pity on me.. (I could care less why...a partner is a partner) and maybe maybe maybe.....

dance?

woo woo!!
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #56
Ancient1

Default 298.8 - Thurs 2 Feb

Today I hit 298.8 after my 2 treat days. Now I get to go back to normal life on the diet. No more greasy burgers and fries. ICK! And to think I use to like them. Today I will have lean roast beef sandwich with mustard on sour dough bread. YUM!

I made a mistake on the date above. It was not the second (2-Feb), it was 10th of Feb.

Last edited by Ancient1; February 11th, 2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: correcting a mistake on the date I wrote
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #57
DanSchallock

Hey Jim, if you honestly dont love the taste of the burgers and fries anymore, why not make treat day something more like chinese food, or indian, or sushi, or whatever your personal treat taste is?
Just seems silly to have a "be bad day" if the pleasure isn't in the the guilty pleasure
-Dan
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #58
Ancient1

Dan,
It is more of a treat day for my wife. She likes them and my days off (treat days) are the only days she gets out of the house and she wants burgers. I love Indian BTW. My favorite Indian is: Lamb Korma. I think I will have some next week.

Quote:
Hey Jim, if you honestly dont love the taste of the burgers and fries anymore, why not make treat day something more like chinese food, or indian, or sushi, or whatever your personal treat taste is?
Just seems silly to have a "be bad day" if the pleasure isn't in the the guilty pleasure
-Dan
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #59
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Unhappy I have to get back with the program..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
I can't wait for my 2 days of treat is over. My wife wanted another burger and fries for lunch. I want to puke now. I am now at 1,700 calories for today. I get a 300 cal dinner tonight.

Tomorrow I get back on my normal meal schedule. I can't wait to get a roast turkey or roast beef sandwich on sour dough with mustard.
I have to get back with the program. I was all the way down to a tiny 185, for me anyway But I really fell off the wagon since mid November, and I'm back up to 196

And I have only hit the health club twice since the first of December.. And many of the sessions I have been skating got cut over the holidays and even after.. This week will be my first three days a week skating weeks, since before Christmas..

The extra weight, and the lack of any good workouts is really not helping my skating.. I did two laps of a very sloppy Quick Step today and had to sit down a drink some water!!! Then I did two laps of and equally sloppy Denche Blues and had to take to the water bottle again.. OLD Age Sucks

The days of skating three minutes, and taking a 30 second break and repeating the process, and long gone, now !!!

I also need to keep the weight down, because I pitched all of my fat clothes last Summer, and I can't afford a new "FAT Wardrobe"

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #60
Ancient1

Ray my friend, I hear ya. Getting it off is tough, but keeping it off is tougher. I will be so happy to get down to 196, but my goal is about 160. 7 down and only 138 lbs to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
I have to get back with the program. I was all the way down to a tiny 185, for me anyway But I really fell off the wagon since mid November, and I'm back up to 196

And I have only hit the health club twice since the first of December.. And many of the sessions I have been skating got cut over the holidays and even after.. This week will be my first three days a week skating weeks, since before Christmas..

The extra weight, and the lack of any good workouts is really not helping my skating.. I did two laps of a very sloppy Quick Step today and had to sit down a drink some water!!! Then I did two laps of and equally sloppy Denche Blues and had to take to the water bottle again.. OLD Age Sucks

The days of skating three minutes, and taking a 30 second break and repeating the process, and long gone, now !!!

I also need to keep the weight down, because I pitched all of my fat clothes last Summer, and I can't afford a new "FAT Wardrobe"