S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old June 4th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #21
xlracer

BTW folks Susan is on of the Serious Quad Racers on our team that doesnt have to borrow a pair of skates from the old guy here to skate quad nats.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #22
susanmcp

LOL Tracy! Yea, I got a couple of sets of skates of my own to choose from dont I?
susanmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #23
batterin' gram

Great Lakes Region has a speed league and the meets feature both quad and in-line racing. The turnout for these meets is strong, and the racing is competitive.

Quad Nationals is more difficult than in-line nats because all quad races are done in one day - 3 individual distances for each division plus the relays - whereas the in-line events are spread out over a week. Last year USARS needed to add a couple more hours to quads because of increased participation that created heats in several events. Of particular note was the fact that there were heats in elementary and freshman divisions, where there had not previously been any. Also a number of old-timers are coming back to quads, swelling the ranks of the older age groups. Add to this the influx of women from roller derby and there is definite growth. I predict that more derby skaters, along with their kids (and grandkids) will start participating in quad racing over the next few years. USARS will need to add time.
batterin' gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #24
susanmcp

OK, so I am here at Nationals now and I have MORE ladies to race against on quads this year than on inlines!! The 2 divisions that have the MOST entries are Freshman Girls and Master Ladies!! The men are kind of spread through the ranks because a lot are challenging divisions, depending on the distances I think they want to skate.
susanmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #25
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmcp View Post
OK, so I am here at Nationals now and I have MORE ladies to race against on quads this year than on inlines!!
That rocks!
Old July 4th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #26
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Edwards View Post
in my part of Ohio atleast 30 we actually have organized speed meets but it is on a recreational level right now

a skatelogger actually wins this race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXKVQqHWsd4
Nice looking rink but, that wall looks hard
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #27
Randy Edwards

the rumor is the buckeye speed league will be having more quad races this coming season

in the past the schedules bumped heads with Great Lakes ..will the schedules conflict this year also ?
Randy Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #28
xlracer

Default Numbers

Ok I pulled out the program that Shelby brought home for me. There were 111 total entries for quad nationals this year. That is down a few from last year.
I think there were 125 last year.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #29
Racer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlracer View Post
Ok I pulled out the program that Shelby brought home for me. There were 111 total entries for quad nationals this year. That is down a few from last year.
I think there were 125 last year.
In the old school days, you would have 7 male and 7 female divisions with 9 regions sending 3 skaters in each division. 27 racers per age group = 378 if they all showed up and many years they all did! Plus you would have 4man, 4 mixed and 4 lady relays and not all of them came from individual skaters, but were in addtion too them, it was not unusual to see 400-450 racers at Nationals skating on Quads.....now that was a fun time.....

Racer
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #30
PompanoBruce
Class of 78

I got to watch less than half of that utube video befor anyone really got up to speed (I'm on dial up) I know, go ahead and laugh.

Is there any links to some speed skating 2009-up of some 3/5/7 lap races of the Master/Veteran and Grand Veteran groups ??

Thanks
PompanoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #31
quadbob

Cool quads

there are some on the quad channel you have to hit the download button though but there there as well as some old school stuff.

bob.
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #32
PompanoBruce
Class of 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbob View Post
there are some on the quad channel you have to hit the download button though but there there as well as some old school stuff.
I was hoping for recent video's of skaters here in the US at the quad nationals.

I will do some utube searches and see if I can find some.
Old January 20th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #33
quadbob

Cool nationals

there are some from the mid 2000's on there. good luck.
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #34
quadbob

Cool oops

darn i went and looked. everything is gone! sorry.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMJnMtUnfe8
but try this it's 06 but there a small amount of stuff in the scoll box
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:04 AM   #35
DeezUU
Big Boned

we were thinking about signing up my grom (10yo) for a local speed team. he's super comfy on his quads but isn't a fan of inlines. we talked to the coach and we were told that he could start out on quads but unless he switched over to inlines, he wasn't going anywhere. he loves his quads.
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:12 AM   #36
PompanoBruce
Class of 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbob View Post
Thanks Bob

That one didn't take too long to download. I mentioned in another topic about toe stops, that the person who gets to the first cone first usually wins and that video proved that.

I believe I spotted Ted Nuggent watching the race from the spectator seats. LOL
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM   #37
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezUU View Post
we were thinking about signing up my grom (10yo) for a local speed team. he's super comfy on his quads but isn't a fan of inlines. we talked to the coach and we were told that he could start out on quads but unless he switched over to inlines, he wasn't going anywhere. he loves his quads.
Was this at Greenbriar?
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:23 PM   #38
DeezUU
Big Boned

nah... Synergy at Haygood. They're mainly an inline team by design but welcome quads. But from how it sounded... there isn't much (any) competition for quads in the area.

We're probably still going to sign him up... they seemed like good people/coach was super helpful and straightforward, and my kid still wants to do it... it's just a bummer he's gotta switch to inlines.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM   #39
batterin' gram

Since there is a quad national meet, there is no reason to force the kid onto inlines if he doesn't want to use them. He can learn racing on quads, go to nationals and see how he does, and then decide if he wants to make the switch or not.
batterin' gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #40
DeezUU
Big Boned

we're definitely going to sign him up (this Friday). he is still uber pumped to do it (especially after mom's new derby addiction). I'm pretty sure he'll do fine on either quads or inlines... the kid seems like he was born with wheels on his feet and is a natural on anything. there is a girl skating quads with Synergy right now so he won't be the odd man out. we're going to start on quads for sure and maybe get him into inlines around mid-year. the coach was pretty cool with him doing whatever he wanted for as long as he wanted > just advised that inlines are going to take him farther.