S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old September 30th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Pikaia

Default 62mm outdoor wheels

I'm fresh meat with the local roller derby league, and I have access to an outdoor hockey rink for extra practice. I'm trying to decide on a set of 62mm outdoor wheels. I weigh 135 pounds. At the moment I'm considering these:

Radar Zen (84A, 32mm)
Radar Energy (78A, 32mm)
Atom Poison Slim (84A, 38mm)
Sure-Grip Sugar Equalizer (85A, 38mm)

I do have a set of 65mm Energies, and I like 'em quite a bit. But because I'm working on basic skills, I notice the larger wheel diameter when doing toe stop walking and turn around toe stops. I'd rather get 62mm wheels than fuss with my toe stops.

I have a set of Flat Outs that came with my skates. Tried them outside this morning and hated them. Too much vibration, and the width bothered me when doing transitions. I think I much prefer a narrower wheel. I'm skating 93A Fugitive Mids indoors, and I'm very happy with them.

Any thoughts on how I might make a decision? Any other wheel suggestions (under $80)?

Thanks!
Pikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

My used Roll-line hydrogen's
33mm x 62.1mm(slightly used) 82a would be perfect, they go 70$ish new, I'll put them in your hands for 35$, pict's upon request.

I love them, am on a newer set, such a nice strong, lite wheel, I use a wheel puller to get the bearings out, they can be squeezed in.

Other wise, the bones or rt 62's are both better then the four you mentioned, well, I've rolled them both and the urethane is great, the roll-lines are best,imho.

http://www.skates.com/Roll-Line-Hydr...p/struhydy.htm
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Pikaia

Thanks for the thoughts! Let me think about your Roll-Lines.

I'm not familiar with bones wheels. Are you talking about Rollerbones? DOTD? I think Turbos are out of my price range....
Old October 1st, 2013, 01:52 AM   #4
peppermint-T
Roller Girl

I have Radar Tofu Rollers (62mm x 32mm, 78a) which I love because they're just right for practicing skills outside on. I find them to be a little less grippy than the Atom wheels I've tried of the same rating but still more so than hybrids.

I had the Poison Slims, and found they stopped dead on every imperfection, Atom Road Hogs, which I LOVE for skating trails but are too big and squishy for me to be able to do any skills on, and the Atom Pulses, which I found to be somewhere in between the Tofu Rollers and the Road Hogs; good for both general outdoor skating and practicing skills but not perfect for either.
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Armadillo

You should be able to roll with soft outdoor wheels up to 65mm diameter without any dramatic difference in your stops engaging the rolling surface.

Remember that a 65mm wheel only raises you 1.5mm higher, and with the greater squish of a softer outdoor wheel, this likely drops down to only about a 1.0mm difference.

If you can't adjust to only a mere 40 thousandths of an inch difference in stop height from the surface, then you need to improve on your adaptability. Things can't always be perfectly consistent.

Get a premium high rebound soft urethane outdoor wheel in 65mm size and enjoy the better roll on rougher outdoor surfaces that this will give you - good roll is just as important as stop height from surface.

-Armadillo
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:30 PM   #6
cass38a

Just get some Atom Road Hogs and be done with it, outdoor wheels wear down quick enough so if you start with 62mm they will wear out even faster.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:33 PM   #7
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
Just get some Atom Road Hogs and be done with it, outdoor wheels wear down quick enough so if you start with 62mm they will wear out even faster.
Yep or Radar Pures. Thats what my fiance uses and she loves em.
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:05 PM   #8
Pikaia

Much to think about, many thanks for all of the responses! Perhaps I should just stick with my 65mm Energies for the time being. They're fun wheels.

Tofus don't appear to be made anymore, bummer.

The Road Hogs look like they're shaped more like an indoor wheel (non-rounded), so they might fit the bill nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo
You should be able to roll with soft outdoor wheels up to 65mm diameter without any dramatic difference in your stops engaging the rolling surface.
Emphasis mine. Perhaps. Nevertheless, I felt a dramatic difference. Maybe it's because I'm brand new to derby-style toe stop work.

Quote:
Remember that a 65mm wheel only raises you 1.5mm higher, and with the greater squish of a softer outdoor wheel, this likely drops down to only about a 1.0mm difference.
True, and you've made me wonder something I hadn't considered before. It's possible that the squish of a 65mm outdoor wheel makes my stops effectively lower, rather than higher. You might think I should be able to tell the difference, but given that I'm a newbie skater and my indoor/outdoor sessions don't happen on the same days, I'm not so sure.

Quote:
If you can't adjust to only a mere 40 thousandths of an inch difference in stop height from the surface, then you need to improve on your adaptability.
LOL. Yes. Adaptability is on the very lengthy list of things I must improve. But please cut me some slack. I haven't skated in over 20 years, and I'm gosh darn pleased with how well I've done this past month!
Old October 4th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #9
Quadtastic
Quads live!!!

Default Either

Atom road hogs, roll line helium's or radar pures
Quadtastic is offline   Reply With Quote