S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old May 15th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Dreamer

Default Outdoor Wheels on Old Skates

I got my license last year and I'm starting to realize that now I don't need my bike to get places I need another way to get exercise, so I want to do some skating. I skate outdoors, on my driveway and a bit on the sidewalk. I'll probably go a little further though once I get better, I'm not very good now.

I have a pair of skates that I picked up maybe four years ago at a garage sale for ten dollars and I've used maybe three or four times. They have a white ankle boot and inside the boot it says "Betty Lytle Styled by Hyde" on the plate it says Chicago Custom GM2 and the Wheels say Kwitite Fo-Mac. From the little I've read about roller skates I know these are rink skates and not outdoor skates and from what I can pick up on google they seem kind of old.

I'm hoping to get a new pair of skates, hopefully these here (http://www.skates.com/ProductDetails...ode=CRS400-ZEN) but I was wondering, if I can find the money, if it would be possible to add some astronuts change the wheels to outdoor wheels, maybe Radar Zen or Sure-grip Aerobic?
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Fancy-Kerrigan

Replacing those wheels would be a great start to a better rolling outdoor skate. While you have those old wheels off check the bearings. Make sure they are free spinning. If binding or sluggish, clean or replace bearings as well.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
Replacing those wheels would be a great start to a better rolling outdoor skate. While you have those old wheels off check the bearings. Make sure they are free spinning. If binding or sluggish, clean or replace bearings as well.
Thanks! Two of the wheels spins slower and makes a bit more noise than the others. Would Bones Reds work alright?
I don't know what size wheel I have right now, how do I know if the wheels will fit?
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Fancy-Kerrigan

The outside of the bearings are standard.
The inside part that fits on the axel comes in 2 sizes 7mm & 8mm. You will need to know what size you have when you order new bearings (and yes Bones reds will be just fine)
If you can slip the bearing on a #2 pencil you have 8mm (I'm guessing this is what you have now)
If the bearing opening is too narrow to fit on a #2 pencil you have 7mm
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 03:42 AM   #5
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
The outside of the bearings are standard.
The inside part that fits on the axel comes in 2 sizes 7mm & 8mm. You will need to know what size you have when you order new bearings (and yes Bones reds will be just fine)
If you can slip the bearing on a #2 pencil you have 8mm (I'm guessing this is what you have now)
If the bearing opening is too narrow to fit on a #2 pencil you have 7mm
Thanks! Looks like I have 7mm, from browsing the skate stores it seems like 8mm is more common.
I think I'll just get new skates and use these to hold me over until then. Mostly because I could only get three of the eight wheels off, seems like the nut was stuck partially from goop and solidified grease and partially from what seemed like the start of rust.
This wasn't from me though, I did say I got them at a garage sale, I rode them a couple times and kept them in my bedroom.