S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old March 18th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Gero

Default Twister a.k.a Velocity Race Wheels 65mm 84a

I bought two years ago last available sets of them abroad to stock me up for the rest of my skating life for this fantastic lightweight outdoor speed wheel.

I have 3 completes sets of 8 wheels each in 65mm diameter and 84a durometer left. Brand New, never used. Color is black with white or grey hub.

Anyone who is interested in these please drop me a Private Message with your offer.

Cheers

Gero
and skate like nobody's watching.
Gero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Armadillo

Hi Gero,

Perhaps this post would be better located in the FOR SALE thread with price added, but that is not my call.

Since it is in the Outdoor Quads forum, I will suggest that not just "anyone" should consider these wheels as necessarily appropriate for them.

As you accurately state, they are some of the best performing outdoor wheels ever made.
Having rolled many sets of both the Pacer Velocity Race and the RD Twisters, in both the 65mm & 70mm sizes, I have found that, more so for the Twister version 65mm, these wheels are somewhat prone to urethane debonding from the hubs.

Their susceptibility to this issue increases with the weight of the skater. My advice to skaters above 150 lb. is that they may find these wheels start to show early signs of debonding after 300-500 miles.

IMO, the 65mm size, with their very thin urethane layer are a much better match for skaters under 150 lbs. when it comes to their durability over time and distance. Lighter skaters to not concentrate as much stress within the urethane layer as heavier skaters, and thus the glue bond holds up more reliably over time.

With the 70mm size of either of these wheels, I have not seen as much of a debonding issue. Since the 70mm versions of these wheels have an ~30% thicker urethane layer, the rolling stress load from a heavier skater is further distributed over a wider zone of the urethane-to-hub contact area, reducing the potential for debonding.

Depending how well (or poorly) people skate in terms of maintaining the evenness of their weight distribution between axles, this issue can range from serious to no problems at all, but skater weight is still a primary factor in the equation for how your mileage may vary before the problem can appear.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; June 4th, 2014 at 07:16 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:50 PM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

Ah, it is what it is

I have a black set in the package of 70mm wheels with bearings, same-same
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Gero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Hi Gero,

Perhaps this post would be better located in the FOR SALE thread with price added, but that is not my call.

Since it is in the Outdoor Quads forum, I will suggest that not just "anyone" should consider these wheels as necessarily appropriate for them.

As you accurately state, they are some of the best performing outdoor wheels ever made.
Having rolled many sets of both the Pacer Velocity Race and the RD Twisters, in both the 65mm & 70mm sizes, I have found that, more so for the Twister version 65mm, these wheels are somewhat prone to urethane debonding from the hubs.

Their susceptibility to this issue increases with the weight of the skater. My advice to skaters above 150 lb. is that they may find these wheels start to show early signs of debonding after 300-500 miles.

IMO, the 65mm size, with their very thin urethane layer are a much better match for skaters under 150 lbs. when it comes to their durability over time and distance. Lighter skaters to not concentrate as much stress within the urethane layer as heavier skaters, and thus the glue bond holds up more reliably over time.

With the 70mm size of either of these wheels, I have not seen as much of a debonding issue. Since the 70mm versions of these wheels have an ~30% thicker urethane layer, the rolling stress load from a heavier skater is further distributed over a wider zone of the urethane-to-hub contact area, reducing the potential for debonding.

Depending how well (or poorly) people skate in terms of maintaining the evenness of their weight distribution between axles, this issue can range from serious to no problems at all, but skater weight is still a primary factor in the equation for how your mileage may vary before the problem can appear.

-Armadillo
Hi Dillo,

like always: Yes and No.

I have 3 sets parallel in use on different setups, all are up to now without any issue. One set now about 2000 miles, one around 800 miles under my skates. My weight is about 90kg, so I am more on the heavier side.

My friend Jay is much lighter than me and had issues with one wheel maybe around 200 miles of use.

General problem is the big hub with thin surface of urethane, very good in weight and speed, but can always run in problems because of the low thickness. Same was with the Roll Line Hyper and Hydrogen before where many had issues, I am not. Maybe I just skate to smooth for my wheels?

However, 2 sets are already sold, one is left.

Cheers

Gero
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:17 PM   #5
MayanoaDK

Default Where do i find Rd Twister 70mm wheels?

Can anybody write a link for those RD Twiser 70mm wheels? I cant seem to find them anywhere.. and do you know if they are good for outdoor marathon/speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero View Post
Hi Dillo,

like always: Yes and No.

I have 3 sets parallel in use on different setups, all are up to now without any issue. One set now about 2000 miles, one around 800 miles under my skates. My weight is about 90kg, so I am more on the heavier side.

My friend Jay is much lighter than me and had issues with one wheel maybe around 200 miles of use.

General problem is the big hub with thin surface of urethane, very good in weight and speed, but can always run in problems because of the low thickness. Same was with the Roll Line Hyper and Hydrogen before where many had issues, I am not. Maybe I just skate to smooth for my wheels?

However, 2 sets are already sold, one is left.

Cheers

Gero
MayanoaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:14 AM   #6
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayanoaDK View Post
Can anybody write a link for those RD Twiser 70mm wheels? I cant seem to find them anywhere.. and do you know if they are good for outdoor marathon/speed?
I have an unopened set of 70's if you want to make an offer.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Gero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayanoaDK View Post
They are excellent for speed outdoor and no wheel is also lighter then the Twister. They are withdrawn from sales about 3-4 years ago, you won't get them anymore in any shop. I still have personal brandnew and unused stock of the 65mm, PM me if you want to buy them.

We met each other in the Berlin Quad Shop before the marathon, remember me?

Cheers

Gero