S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

View Poll Results: How do you stop on quads outdoors?
Snowplow stop 5 21.74%
Turn backwards then use toe stops 6 26.09%
Lunge stop 0 0%
T-stop (using wheels, same as indoors 10 43.48%
"T-stop" with toe brake 3 13.04%
Heel brake 1 4.35%
Other 6 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 28th, 2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Bunny_Hop

Default How do you stop outdoors?

Since I last posted I've been having some fun (and at times slightly painful!) adventures in outdoor quad skating. I do t-stops and half-snowplows indoors, and toe brakes when going backwards. When I first started outdoors I'd stop by dragging one wheel, which wore down the wheel really fast, hurt my ankle, and wasn't that efficient/stable.

I sort of "discovered" stopping using my toe stop, but differently to indoors. I put my free leg behind me, turned as if to do a T-stop. But I point my toe so my toe stop is vertical to the ground, then press it down. I sort of "sit down" on that leg almost, applying a decent amount of pressure, and come to a controlled stop quickly, even downhill.

Someone on YouTube said you shouldn't use your toe stops outdoors, but I can't really see why. Anyway I'm going to keep stopping the way I do, because it's a really effective way of stopping and doesn't hurt or damage my wheels.

But I'm just curious as to what stops everyone prefers outdoors?
Bunny_Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

It's worth your life to learn how to bunny hop around backwards at speed and use your toe stops
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Armadillo

I always do reversed plate mounts for all my outdoor quad builds.
Since they all have carbon fiber sole stiffeners and glue between shoe sole and carbon fiber, the narrower end of plate below the ball of foot causes no issues for me.
If plate has a socket for a toe stop, when reversed it is then available for a heel stop, which works 3-5 times better that a toe stop rolling forward does.

I do not wish to turn around and skate backwards while confronting a situation coming at me that demands a fast stop. with heel stops, I can just squat low and lean back and both heel stops for an emergency situation.

When not an emergency situation, I only extend one leg forward to brake and squat down to present forward extended leg more horizontally so the stop can grab ground better. On longer downhill runs, alternating breaking between the two skates keeps wear fairly even. See avatar PIC - SG SuperNova plate reverse mounted under Nike Zoom Air Basketball shoes

-Armadillo
Old October 29th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny_Hop View Post
Since I last posted I've been having some fun (and at times slightly painful!) adventures in outdoor quad skating. I do t-stops and half-snowplows indoors, and toe brakes when going backwards. When I first started outdoors I'd stop by dragging one wheel, which wore down the wheel really fast, hurt my ankle, and wasn't that efficient/stable.

I sort of "discovered" stopping using my toe stop, but differently to indoors. I put my free leg behind me, turned as if to do a T-stop. But I point my toe so my toe stop is vertical to the ground, then press it down. I sort of "sit down" on that leg almost, applying a decent amount of pressure, and come to a controlled stop quickly, even downhill.

Someone on YouTube said you shouldn't use your toe stops outdoors, but I can't really see why. Anyway I'm going to keep stopping the way I do, because it's a really effective way of stopping and doesn't hurt or damage my wheels.

But I'm just curious as to what stops everyone prefers outdoors?
Would a spin stop do in most situations (non-emergency) and you have a little room? I don't like to use my toe stops at all, but especially outdoors.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Krew76
Banned

As i am stopperless i either snowplough, hockey stop or drag wheels.
Krew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #6
JorisKB

Parallel slide whan I want to stop quickly.
Soul slide or plow stop when I want to slow down. never T (well, sometimes when I have only narrow space around me, for exemple when there are a lot of pedestrian around), and of course no stoppers outside.
JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #7
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny_Hop View Post
Because the toe stop compounds are relatively soft, so when you drag them over a rough surface they tear up and chunk pretty easily. Once the chunking starts the stops disintegrate pretty rapidly.

Of course, it depends on the exact stop, how fast you are going, the actual surface, and how much weight you apply. If your stops are lasting long enough for you don't worry about it.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #8
Bunny_Hop

Thanks WJCIV!

It is tearing up my stop but not too fast - been skating regularly for about a year and I think the stop is still a few months from being "used up", plus I can swap it to the other foot. And they only cost $30 to replace.
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:32 AM   #9
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Hockey stops and spin stops here indoors or out. I don't use toe stops. Once you learn left and right side hockey stops you wont look back. Being in control of your feet at all times with your wheels in contact with the ground is better than being up on a toe stop any day. Just takes a good bit of practice.

I prefer spins over hockey as they don't wear my wheels nearly as bad nor do they have to regain traction to allow me to maneuver again.
Old December 4th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #10
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Default Stopping?....that's for wimps!

Just slam into a pole....parked cars work well too.....lol.

Kidding aside, it always depends upon speed, surface, incline and width of area.
If you have a full roadwidth you can slalom to a stop.
Doing over 40 on a 30% grade 4' wide sidewalk isn't the time to try a tee stop but that is my method of choice 90% of the time.

For road skating hills, my buds and I used to attach metal bars on rear stops.
That worked great and a created a super light show at night

"If the good Lord wanted us to walk he wouldn't have invented roller skates." ~Willie Wonka 1971

60 secs of Quad Vert Fun link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYJgY2PJ_vk
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #11
AussieScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krew76 View Post
As i am stopperless i either snowplough, hockey stop or drag wheels.
And I will add to the above methods....

Grad a tree, telegraph pole, roll onto the grass, grab a car, bus, truck..... Anything I can see.

Road Skating 101.

Stop using any means possible as it might save your life.
AussieScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #12
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

I use toe stops outside. Turn around and get on both toe stops. About the fastest I can stop. Hockey slide or dragging wheels is hard on them outside. Toe stops are cheap.JMO
oldspeedskater67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 04:30 AM   #13
Bunny_Hop

Quote:
Stop using any means possible as it might save your life.
AussieScott this is one thing I seriously agree with. Any fall is preferable to skating into traffic. I prefer footpaths with a bit of grass or something else rough by the sides, as I figure if things did go really bad I could always veer into that and rely on falling quickly rather than zooming into traffic. I get nervous about kids skating on driveways where they could accidentally skate straight into traffic (the other day I saw a kid simultaneously wearing roller skates and on an electric scooter about two metres from a major road)!

Quote:
I use toe stops outside. Turn around and get on both toe stops.
This was a preferred stopping method on figure skating sessions when I did ice skating. I guess because other figure skating stops would blunt your blade edges.
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #14
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

While I can't do a hockey stop, I kind of do a 2 step, semi hockey, semi spin stop. I'll do a quick sharp turn to the right, my momentum is going the direction of my left shoulder, then a hard left with a wide stance, to scrub speed. At this point I am essentially stopped, but there is usually a little momentum left over causing me to spin just a bit. Maybe a half to a full revolution.

Speed scrubbing by turning is also the best way to tame a long downhill that will produce more speed than you would like.

This video is on inlines and is about falling and slowing down, but at about 35 seconds, you see scrubbing speed by turning. This will work on quads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VtOqBNWzdQ

Tags
outdoor, stopping