S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old April 28th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #1
inkh0rn

Default SIMS Python 72mm 80A

Currently 38mm contact patch, 40mm wide (approx). They began as 47mm contact patch/50mm wide - first roll was disappointing and they even snagged on small twigs/stones which my smaller/harder (64mm, 83A) Roll Line Heliums rolled over...a technician at work did a rough job of cutting the outer lips off - 8-10mm from the width - and roughly chamfering the edge.

These wheels have a solid plastic hub all the way across - hollow from the rear, but a solid face (like the B'zerk roller derby wheels, IIRC).

Before they were trimmed, I was struggling to get 14mph out of the Pythons, where the Heliums had easily achieved 16mph, on my local practice car park (I've had 22.6mph out of AirWaves 65mm, my max on quads - have had 20mph from Heliums). The Pythons easily hit 17mph after the lips were trimmed - MUCH better. The 80A rolled more smoothly on the rough patches and hardly snagged at all.

Trying them tomorrow at the tarmac cycle track where this year's marathon will be held (there is a dual as well, but not sure I'm up to 52 miles! I'll save that for my road cycle ). Fingers crossed for a smooth, fast ride...

Last edited by inkh0rn; May 9th, 2015 at 10:09 AM.
inkh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 06:12 AM   #2
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkh0rn View Post

Currently 38mm contact patch, 40mm wide (approx). They began as 47mm contact patch/50mm wide - the roll was disappointing and they even snagged on small twigs/stones which my smaller/harder (64mm, 83A) Roll Line Heliums rolled over...a technician at work did a rough job of cutting the outer lips off - 8-10mm from the width - and roughly chamfering the edge.

These wheels have a solid plastic hub all the way across - hollow from the rear, but a solid face (like the B'zerk roller derby wheels, IIRC).

First roll on the new wheels was disappointing - struggling to get 14mph where the Heliums had easily achieved 16mph on my local practice car park (I've had 22.6mph out of AirWaves 65mm, my max on quads - have had 20mph from Heliums). The Pythons easily hit 17mph after the lips were trimmed - MUCH better. The 80A rolled more smoothly on the rough patches and hardly snagged at all.

Trying them tomorrow at the tarmac cycle track where this year's marathon will be held (there is a dual as well, but not sure I'm up to 52 miles! I'll save that for my road cycle ). Fingers crossed for a smooth, fast ride...

My image won't display! I've linked it from Dropbox. Any ideas, anyone?
I suggest you reduce the contact patch on Pythons even further. Plus 1mm is not enough of a radius/chamfer, unless you want to risk splits and chunking along the edges.

The Heliums are less than 30mm contact patch width. This is a big difference. You can't compare apples to oranges.

-Armadillo
Old April 30th, 2015, 05:27 PM   #3
inkh0rn

Default Looking good

The first proper roll of the new trimmed SIMS Pythons proved a success.

A 20 mile practice skate at the cycle track last night resulted in 22.6mph top speed clocked on a slight downhill following a straight at the bottom end of the track loop - 3.6mph faster than Heliums at the same point, and equivalent to the fastest speed I've ever clocked on quads, which was down a fairly steep hill! Average speed on the flat was similar to that on Heliums, and of course uphills were slightly slower due to the big increase in weight and contact patch.

However I think they'll be kept on for the event. There are some sections of the track where Heliums would be faster, and the lighter weight would reduce fatigue - but the bigger diameter makes for a smoother, longer roll overall. Hoping for a good finish time. Might have a crack at the Dual Marathon...
Old May 10th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #4
inkh0rn

Default Improving marathon time!

Hey all. Skated 26.2 miles in 2 hours 16 today, last big skate before the marathon/dual marathon next week. Beat my fastest indoor time of 2:35 (quads) and outdoor time of 2:40 (90mm wheel inlines, albeit it poured down for the entire race).

The SIMS Pythons were amazing and just seem to be getting better. I know I'm nowhere near the 2-hour and below times some of you outdoor quadders have posted on here, but I'm very pleased with my progress and can highly recommend these wheels in their trimmed-down state.

Fingers crossed for next week - both weather and timings!

The question is: Aim for PB on the marathon...or attempt to complete the dual? I'm favouring the former, but several of my skate mates are doing the dual, so I'm a bit torn. We shall see!
Old May 10th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #5
Armadillo

I say go for the speed race FIRST. You are in SPEED MODE now with your new wheel setup, so why downshift back to slower endurance mode?

Do the marathon and get a new PB as close to 2HR as you can get with the newly optimized wheel setup. Then use that as a baseline reference going forward as you continue to improve.

-Armadillo
Old May 10th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #6
inkh0rn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
I say go for the speed race FIRST. You are in SPEED MODE now with your new wheel setup, so why downshift back to slower endurance mode?

Do the marathon and get a new PB as close to 2HR as you can get with the newly optimized wheel setup. Then use that as a baseline reference going forward as you continue to improve.

-Armadillo
I'm liking your thinking there, Armadillo. It's what my gut says to do. TBH I don't know if I would be able to finish 52+ miles on skates - I have an ancient chronic knee problem (ITBS) which stopped me running and started me skating a few years ago. I've noticed it beginning to ache again at the 20+ mile mark. Chances are it would be agonising by about mile 30-35, and I'd hate to bank on doing the dual then not be able to finish. I can do that kind of distance on a bike. Something to work up to on skates .

I'll post up how I get on next week
Old May 17th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #7
inkh0rn

Default Skatemania marathon today...

Dry and sunny at times, but a 17mph headwind in some stretches of track with up to 31mph gusts. Apart from that, lovely day for it.

26 laps in 2hrs 5 mins, 9th place, 1st finisher on quads. A lap's just under a mile so I did another 2 to reach 26.2, which I did in 2hrs 14mins.

PBs for both, and would have been faster without the wind - and a crash on lap 25 which has left my elbows a bit bare. Result!

Crash was a momentary loss of concentration; I must have leaned back a tiny bit + forward mounted plates = bite that tarmac, fool. A possible argument for longer wheelbase, methinks.

Last edited by inkh0rn; May 17th, 2015 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Timing error!
inkh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote