S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default New Outdoor Quad Skating Subforum (set up August 2009)

OK, I have waited more than a half year for an Outdoor Quad Sub-Forum.
It still has not happened, so here goes the Outdoor Only Quad Thread.

The Idea is to cover most of the same topics as the main Quad Forum, but exclusively from the perspective of skating OUTDOORS.

- Show us pictures of your Outdoor Quad Skates
- Talk about your favorite Outdoor Quad wheels, and any new wheels discovered
-What are the priorities for building good outdoor Quad skates?
-How to build your own Quad Outdoor skate using athletic shoes.
-How much do your outdoor skates weigh?
-What bothers you most about Quads outdoors, and how to solve this.
-Dealing with bearing issues for Quads Outdoors

I'm sure many other good Quad Outdoor topics will also be posted.

Maybe if we can reach 1000 posts here, we can finally have our own sub forum, instead of just a huge thread. At least we will start to have all the important Outdoor info in one place. Then when new Outdoor skaters arrive at SLF, they can focus on one main thread to get up to speed.

I am going to be consolidating & re-posting here many of my more useful OUTDOOR Quad posts from the past. Sure hope it doesn't end up with my posts being the only ones here!

If this grows large, as I hope it will, having so much in one thread will be a challenge, but we can all take our search skills up a notch to handle it I'm sure!


-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR

Last edited by Armadillo; August 13th, 2009 at 06:17 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #2
dvw
Secretary of Skate
 
dvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Posts: 4,415
Question Well whaddya know

I guess whining does work after all!!
__________________
Find some roller derby girls. Don't try to romance them! That don't end well. okie 10/12/2011
Royals FTW! When only the shiny will do... Doc Sk8 05/19/2012
dvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default

LOL, yes, sometimes whining can work, but in this case, the wishes of the group seem to have changed. In the past many of our quad skaters resisted having a separate outdoor quad forum, but now that seems to have changed, maybe because we have so many zilions of posts in the main quad forum.

Anyway...Welcome to to the new outdoor quad subforum and thank you Armadillo and Sk8Doc for helping to make it happen!

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #4
cliff
Senior Member
 
cliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 338
Default Emphasis: Equipment or Experience?

I made my Bones as an outdoor quad skater 29 years ago, and though I now skate rinks as much as or more than outdoors, consider myself an outdoors man at heart.

Funny, I've never really dealt with the consensus here about equipment: forward mount, long plate, low-top boots, even sluggish plate action. I just skate with what I have, which has always been an art setup. I've never had problems with that, but perhaps have become hyper conscious of road debris.

Anyway, my point is that I think there is a dimension to outdoor quad skating besides tuning the equipment for the special surface conditions. My belief is that there is a different type of experience and mindset among outdoor quadders versus outdoor inliners. Ditto indoor quad/inline.

Maybe it is that outdoor quad skaters take a more leisurely approach than the inline people? Certainly, I've never gone very fast when skating outdoors. If I find a sweet stretch of pavement, I'll let loose, but mostly I like to explore and enjoy the scenery while at the same time making my trips an errand that accomplishes something.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #5
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default I skate flat out fast outdoors - no real turns to slow down for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
I made my Bones as an outdoor quad skater 29 years ago, and though I now skate rinks as much as or more than outdoors, consider myself an outdoors man at heart.

Funny, I've never really dealt with the consensus here about equipment: forward mount, long plate, low-top boots, even sluggish plate action. I just skate with what I have, which has always been an art setup. I've never had problems with that, but perhaps have become hyper conscious of road debris.

Anyway, my point is that I think there is a dimension to outdoor quad skating besides tuning the equipment for the special surface conditions. My belief is that there is a different type of experience and mindset among outdoor quadders versus outdoor inliners. Ditto indoor quad/inline.

Maybe it is that outdoor quad skaters take a more leisurely approach than the inline people? Certainly, I've never gone very fast when skating outdoors. If I find a sweet stretch of pavement, I'll let loose, but mostly I like to explore and enjoy the scenery while at the same time making my trips an errand that accomplishes something.
My outdoor skating focus is how fast can I go and sustain for distance.
Nothing beats good wheels to make that happen. High rebound urethane, big hubs 45-50mm, and large OD 65-70+mm.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #6
cliff
Senior Member
 
cliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 338
Default Max time interval, weight loss

My focus lately has been to lose weight. I found that I really start dropping the tenths of a kilogram when I skate at least a couple of hours and especially four hours. Kinda hard to manage outside of business hours and in dry, not-too-hot weather.

I don't flat-out much because the pavement just isn't here in Richmond. Or I'm more chicken than I used to be in 1980. There is a half-mile-circumference lake in town. Its surrounding sidewalk is skateable, but my main task is timing my steps to not roll over the seams in the concrete. Makes me very nimble doing dance steps to the beat in the rink. The automobile lane around the lake is rocky road.

Last edited by cliff; August 16th, 2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: more detail, correction
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #7
roller_dudette
skate addict!
 
roller_dudette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,332
Default

I like to go fast on rollerskates!!

Focus, lose weight???? Not me!!!!! I'm boney.

This is neat to have an outdoor ROLLERSKATING forum. I never thought there would be an acceptable place to have skateboards strapped to your feet and people to be OK with it. I love my outdoor rollerskates! I still prefer to rollerskate boots though. I have the old oak street bauer boots. But one day I'll have a regular boot.
__________________
Learning new tricks again!! Life is good. :-D
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #8
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default What is it you like so much about rollerskate boots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
I like to go fast on rollerskates!!

Focus, lose weight???? Not me!!!!! I'm boney.

This is neat to have an outdoor ROLLERSKATING forum. I never thought there would be an acceptable place to have skateboards strapped to your feet and people to be OK with it. I love my outdoor rollerskates! I still prefer to rollerskate boots though. I have the old oak street bauer boots. But one day I'll have a regular boot.
I too am so happy we now have our own sub-forum!

What boot features do you not get with your soccer shoe skates?
-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #9
GLiB
Junior Member
 
GLiB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Humboldt County CA
Posts: 26
Talking Home Sweet Home

I'm 38 years old, have 3 kids and have been skating a little over 3 months now. My wife joined the local derby team in January and I figured why not learn to skate? Get a little excerise, spend a little time w/ the wife, you know. I was hooked as soon as I started skating outside. The rink is fun but I can only go in so many circles. This is also a small area so we don't have much rink time either.

So needless to say I'm amped about the outdoor quad subforum!
Thanks!!

My equipment now is Riedell 265 boots w/ Powerdyne aluminum plates (I can't remember which model right now) I am planning on building a pair of OD skates and I'm sure this subforum will be a priceless source of info.
Thanks in advance!

GLiB, Deep in the tall trees of No. Cali.
GLiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #10
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLiB View Post
I'm 38 years old, have 3 kids and have been skating a little over 3 months now. My wife joined the local derby team in January and I figured why not learn to skate? Get a little excerise, spend a little time w/ the wife, you know. I was hooked as soon as I started skating outside. The rink is fun but I can only go in so many circles. This is also a small area so we don't have much rink time either.

So needless to say I'm amped about the outdoor quad subforum!
Thanks!!

My equipment now is Riedell 265 boots w/ Powerdyne aluminum plates (I can't remember which model right now) I am planning on building a pair of OD skates and I'm sure this subforum will be a priceless source of info.
Thanks in advance!
GLiB, Deep in the tall trees of No. Cali.
GLiB,
Welcome to the Quad Outdoor forum!
I miss my days in N Calif., living on Skyline Blvd. above Palo Alto near Old La Honda Rd.

Check out my recent posts on building lightweight (<1200 grams) outdoor skates using skateboard shoes.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.