S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old November 17th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #41
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadskater71 View Post
After a few "near misses" with twisted ankles and the like, I decided to get a higher boot than the previous Hummel Soccer boot set up. I also want to use them as a indoor "dance skate", but only sometimes. So on went the Suregrip XL75 boots, semi-forward mounted (still feel too far back to me!) and the poor old Snyder Superdelux plates went under the knife AGAIN. This time the angle grinder to be exact! Not as light as they were, but skate great and the boot is really comfortable. Not sure what the next move is......[/IMG]
[IMG]
You got the left plate on the right boot and right plate on the left boot, should just be a mattert of switching them, not sure but it looks like the center of the front of the plate is not pointing at the joint between the index and middle toe but more toward the big toe...jmho
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #42
quadskater71

Hi there. Not sure how familiar you are with snyderplates, but they actually have alignment marks on the front and back of the plates from the factory to make sure they are lined up on the boot correctly. Maybe its just the photo, but they are both perfectly lined up. Believe me, I spend half an hour double checking to make sure!!
As for the plates being on the wrong boot, I have always run the stopper turning in to the 'inside' of the skate. I also skate with alot of people who use the same plate and all there plates are set up the same (from the factory). They compete on a national level and I would be supprised if they all had it wrong. Me, I can understand!
Are you sure they are on the wrong boot?
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #43
shufflenut
CHEAP SKATES CLUB

They look good to me
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #44
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadskater71 View Post
Are you sure they are on the wrong boot?
Well if they work for you that's all that matters...
but please humor me, with the boot on, feel for the space between your index and middle toe on the top of the boot, if you had some sort of removable marker or crayon you could mark the spot and transferr it around to the bottom of the boot, just wondering if it lines up with the center of the plate, I'm guessing it's close to a 1/2" off, I'm not being a smartass, just expressing my thoughts.

Last edited by ursle; November 19th, 2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #45
Armadillo

Default When foot is dragging behind heel tilts over to inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Well if they work for you that's all that matters...
but please humor me, with the boot on feel for the space between your index and middle toe on the top of the boot, if you had some sort of removable marker or crayon you could mark the spot and transferr it around to the bottom of the boot, just wondering if it lines up with the center of the plate, I'm guessing it's close to a 1/2" off, so if the plates were mounted, centered on the mark between your index toe and middle toe and the plates were reversed foot for foot, the stop would be somewhat centered beneith your foot not over by your big toe, I'm not being a smartass, just expressing my thoughts.
They are correct on the L-R with respect to the angled TS mount hole axis.
When you go up on your TS in a stationary position, your foot (heel) usually tilts out some, the angled down & inward TS hole axis counters this foot tilt to keep bottom of rubber more flat on the surface.
Similarly, if you stand on one foot bending knee some, and swing other leg back to touch your toe behind and in line with standing foot. You will notice the rear foot heel tends to lean over to outside a bit. The TS mount hole axis angle again allows for the the stop to remain more square to the surface, despite this slight foot tilt away from square.

-Armadillo
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #46
quadskater71

Thanks Richard, I think you are saying they look right to you?? They line up correctly with respect to the centreline. I think maybe the shape of the front of the boot and the turn-in on the toestop together with the poor photography!! is making them look odd. They skate really nicely, actually the best these plates have ever skated. I do appreciate you thoughts though, you certainly made me check again!! Cheers.
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #47
ursle
Street Skater

So I started hunting for pictures of mounted plates and all the Snyder Advantage plates I found were mounted with the toe stop pointed inwards instead of outwards on the foot, like yours, as I sat scratching my head I took the plates off my boots (t-nuts) and looked at them with their mounting instructions (roll-line matrix), and the correct mounting position for the plates is with the toe stop offset to the inside, like yours, after thinking about it I realized when mounting them (which I did correctly) I quickly gazed at them and there's so little offset with the matrix, I assumed they were pointed outward instead of inward when mounted, my bad...
But... then I went to Snyder's site and looked at their plate mounting instructions and they clearly state that they want the plate mounted in the center of the boot, toe and heel.
3. Locate the center line of the bottom of the boot by using a Snyder Boot Marking Tool. * If you do not have this tool, determine the center line by (a) locating the center of the heel, (b) drawing a line across the widest point of the sole (the position of the ball of the foot), (c) measuring an equal distance from both sides to the center, then (d) drawing a line through these two points. SEE FIGURE 2.

4. Position the plate so the center line marks on the plate match the center line marks on the boot. Then adjust the plate forward or backward so the front axle is under the inside ball of the foot and the rear axle is under the center of the heel.

That's good for roller blades and ice skates but roller skates want to be offset to the outside of the boot(foot).
Did you get a chance to check where your plates are mounted vs the find the spot between your index and middle toes and mark it location?
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #48
Armadillo

Default The TS hole offset angle NOT related to plate mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
So I started hunting for pictures of mounted plates and all the Snyder Advantage plates I found were mounted with the toe stop pointed inwards instead of outwards on the foot, like yours, as I sat scratching my head I took the plates off my boots (t-nuts) and looked at them with their mounting instructions (roll-line matrix), and the correct mounting position for the plates is with the toe stop offset to the inside, like yours, after thinking about it I realized when mounting them (which I did correctly) I quickly gazed at them and there's so little offset with the matrix, I assumed they were pointed outward instead of inward when mounted, my bad...
But... then I went to Snyder's site and looked at their plate mounting instructions and they clearly state that they want the plate mounted in the center of the boot, toe and heel.
3. Locate the center line of the bottom of the boot by using a Snyder Boot Marking Tool. * If you do not have this tool, determine the center line by (a) locating the center of the heel, (b) drawing a line across the widest point of the sole (the position of the ball of the foot), (c) measuring an equal distance from both sides to the center, then (d) drawing a line through these two points. SEE FIGURE 2.

4. Position the plate so the center line marks on the plate match the center line marks on the boot. Then adjust the plate forward or backward so the front axle is under the inside ball of the foot and the rear axle is under the center of the heel.

That's good for roller blades and ice skates but roller skates want to be offset to the outside of the boot(foot).
Did you get a chance to check where your plates are mounted vs the find the spot between your index and middle toes and mark it location?
ursle,
It sounds like you are inferring that the axis tilt of the toe stop mount hole is meant to be compensating for the plate's mounting position being offset from the centerline of the boot-shoe.
NO, not related, what I am saying is that the design of your SKELETON and how Leg-Knee-Ankle-Foot bend when you place your toe stop in contact with the ground is why they drill the TS hole at a slight angle.
This angle keeps the TS more square to the ground after your joint flex changes the skate's angle in the opposite direction.

-Armadillo
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #49
ursle
Street Skater

Right,
I can understand now why the toe stop is offset toward the toe when the plate is offset toward the outside of the foor, it centers the toe stop under the foot because the plate is off center toward the outside of the foot...
Now bow-legged or pronated people are still going to weigh their toe stop differently, but they are centered...
Trying to figure out which way to point the offset toestop when mounting the plates backwards (toe-stop in the rear) not.
A little bit of knowledge is dangerous, exchanging thoughts generally improves knowledge, I'm having fun
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #50
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

I decided to do away with my Nike Cleats...these are going to be my Outdoor Quads from now on...

A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #51
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Sk8er View Post
I decided to do away with my Nike Cleats...these are going to be my Outdoor Quads from now on...
What was wrong with the cleats?
What is better about these boots?

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; December 15th, 2009 at 07:07 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #52
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post

-Armadillo
umm, for one.... they are WAY SEXY?!
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #53
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
What was wrong with the cleats?
They were a tad bit to big on me as i bought a 13 because they didnt have a 12.5 ... and without any counters my foot moved around to much for my liking.

Quote:

-Armadillo
Precise fit! No foot movement at all... they fit like a glove. And the Prolines help also... as im just more comfortable on DA plates
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #54
Nellie

My outdoor quads are Starway Rollers (Swiss company) with old/vintage (British? - anyway, that's where I got them) soft 70mm Vanguard Boomerang wheels.

I've had the skates for eight years, and bought the wheels last spring. They've held up really well (the boots have become a bit wider and I had to exchange the pivot cups, but that's all). Although their weight would probably make most of you cry , I'm really happy with them - especially since I've put on the new wheels that'll go over anything you throw at them (well, almost) .

Last edited by Nellie; May 9th, 2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Picture
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #55
Renegadeine

I think I've finished tinkering with my outdoor skates now. They've been a work in progress for around 18 months.

They started out as an ebay find - Riedell 265, size 5.5, with an old, corroded size 4 XK-4 SA, Hartford Golds and Belair Blazer wheels, about $40 + shipping. Good condition but been stored for a long time. They smelt pretty funky. I prized the plates off and cleaned up the boots. Replaced the old size 4 XK-4 with a new size 3, mounted as forward as possible with some old snyder toestops. It's still a pretty long wheelbase for me (155mm, when I usually skate around 140mm) but nice and stable outdoors. I also had extra holes drilled in the front of the plate so that there was a 4 point mount at the ball of the foot instead of 2 points. I added a set of Kryptonics Route 65s (which wouldn't have fit on the old plates because of the low profile trucks) and a set of double side sheilded ABEC9s that cost me $12. Next I swapped out the rock hard rubber cushions for some medium urethane ones. Then the toestops were removed, and a set of plugs put in their place. Then I got some of the Lazer Blaze II wheels to sell, so I tested some of them and reviewed them on my blog, and they've stayed as my outdoor wheels of choice - Same weight as the Route 65s, with an added 5mm diameter.

The most recent addition was sheepskin innersoles and tongue linings. Cushy. And the coloured laces, to match the orange and yellow of the wheels, cushions and toe plugs. They will be making their debut in this configuration at tomorrow night's Fringe Parade, which the whole of Adelaide Roller Derby will be skating in, to celebrate the opening of Adelaide's Fringe Festival.

The only other change I might make is to swap the trucks, which have 8mm axles, to a set with 7mm axles, since this is the only pair of skates I have that don't have 7mm axles. I thought about going with some DA 45 trucks, but I think I'll keep these as SA, and save the DA 45 for shorter indoor setup.

Rebelicious! #99
Team Zebra - Adelaide Roller Derby
http://www.hotquadsrollerskates.com
Renegadeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #56
cass38a

Look good, how are you finding those soft wheels................I have the harder ones and love them. They wear out in the middle before the edges and end up looking pretty weird.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #57
Renegadeine

Used them on four long (12-17km) outdoor skates. No real signs of wear as yet. Nice and smooth ride for the most part - some of the roads I've skated on wouldn't be nice no matter what. They got rather slippery in the rain - sliding down the hill in snow plow stance on a wet asphalt bike path was an experience I won't forget anytime soon. The only real downside to me (which is pretty minor) is that the bearing spacing is on the wide side, and the axle nuts only just fit on the XK-4s. They fit a little better on Roll-Lines. Haven't tried them on any other plates - I assume they would fit nicely on Boens, but I like my trucks pretty loose, so 70mm wheels would hit the boots.
Rebelicious! #99
Old February 18th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #58
Stinkfist

It's definitely at least worth trying the DA45 trucks for outdoor.
I've skated both my DA45's and my SA Wallaby's and will be converting the Wallaby's as soon as another set of trucks lands at my door! For outdoor use I settled on medium conical cushions top and bottom, and 1 to 1.5 turns of preload on them as opposed to the soft/medium cushion combo and just towards the firm end of jangling that I normally set them up at, and they are just so much more stable over lumps, bumps, holes, and up and down hills than the SA plates that it's hard to believe.
Stinkfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #59
Mystic
SWM So Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegadeine View Post
I think I've finished tinkering with my outdoor skates now. They've been a work in progress for around 18 months.

They started out as an ebay find - Riedell 265, size 5.5, with an old, corroded size 4 XK-4 SA, Hartford Golds and Belair Blazer wheels, about $40 + shipping. Good condition but been stored for a long time. They smelt pretty funky. I prized the plates off and cleaned up the boots. Replaced the old size 4 XK-4 with a new size 3, mounted as forward as possible with some old snyder toestops. It's still a pretty long wheelbase for me (155mm, when I usually skate around 140mm) but nice and stable outdoors. I also had extra holes drilled in the front of the plate so that there was a 4 point mount at the ball of the foot instead of 2 points. I added a set of Kryptonics Route 65s (which wouldn't have fit on the old plates because of the low profile trucks) and a set of double side sheilded ABEC9s that cost me $12. Next I swapped out the rock hard rubber cushions for some medium urethane ones. Then the toestops were removed, and a set of plugs put in their place. Then I got some of the Lazer Blaze II wheels to sell, so I tested some of them and reviewed them on my blog, and they've stayed as my outdoor wheels of choice - Same weight as the Route 65s, with an added 5mm diameter.

The most recent addition was sheepskin innersoles and tongue linings. Cushy. And the coloured laces, to match the orange and yellow of the wheels, cushions and toe plugs. They will be making their debut in this configuration at tomorrow night's Fringe Parade, which the whole of Adelaide Roller Derby will be skating in, to celebrate the opening of Adelaide's Fringe Festival.

The only other change I might make is to swap the trucks, which have 8mm axles, to a set with 7mm axles, since this is the only pair of skates I have that don't have 7mm axles. I thought about going with some DA 45 trucks, but I think I'll keep these as SA, and save the DA 45 for shorter indoor setup.

How did you do the tongue linings?

Also, nobody has posted a review for those wheels yet. You should do it http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=21979

www.socalskatingreviews.com
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #60
Renegadeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
How did you do the tongue linings?

Also, nobody has posted a review for those wheels yet. You should do it http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=21979
I scraped off the old tongue linings with a paint scraper - they were really crumbly, then cleaned them up and glued on the new ones with contact cement.

Will put a review up when I have a bit more spare time.
Rebelicious! #99