S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old July 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Default Skatelog Distributor Ads

FanJet8 wrote a post recently to attempt to localize all of the Skatelog Distributor's Advertisements in one thread for ease of use by the Skatelog Community. This is a wonderful idea!

I had given some thought in the past about allowing the Skatelog Distributors to post their Ads in place of the Google Ads at the top of the page. The Skatelog community would be able to see those Ads on every page of the forum, as they currently see the Google Ads. The Skatelog Admins, of course, would charge a fee to the Distributors to post their Ads and run them for a specified time. The Skatelog Community would not have to hunt down forums or threads that have become lost or outdated. The Skatelog Distributor Ads could be a picture Ad or a Flash Advertisement.

It could allow for an equal time distribution of advertiements for the Distributors here on Skatelog...generate revenue for Skatelog...and you can see those Ads regardless of which forum or post you're viewing so there's plenty of exposure.

What do you guys think? I've already beat a path to the dunce chair so don't worry about hurting my feelings.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
picture Ad or a Flash Advertisement
Honestly... I don't think any skate manufacturer - let alone a skate shop or individual seller - would be interested in paying the kind of money that would convince us to direct-sell ad space in the SkateLog Forum. Why not just buy an ad from the Google AdWords program that will appear on many different skating Web sites?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Honestly... I don't think any skate manufacturer - let alone a skate shop or individual seller - would be interested in paying the kind of money that would convince us to direct-sell ad space in the SkateLog Forum. Why not just buy an ad from the Google AdWords program that will appear on many different skating Web sites?

- Kathie
Sounds like the way to go! But I never see any of the Skatelog Distributors' Ads in the Google Ads space.
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Maybe none of those distributors are buying Google ads?

- Kathie
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Maybe none of those distributors are buying Google ads?

- Kathie
You could be correct about that.
Old July 14th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

From the retailer side... I've used Google Ads in the past but never saw any real benefit from it and it wasn't cheap if you actually want the ads to show up very often.

I would prefer to spend advertising money directly on a site like this over something like Google Ads.... however without knowing the price range I can't say if I (or any of the other skate sellers on here) would actually do it.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #7
Randy Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Sounds like the way to go! But I never see any of the Skatelog Distributors' Ads in the Google Ads space.
when I had my website I also had google ads that ran at the top of the forum

the outcome was 50.00+ per month in fees and how did that happen ?very simple one of the competitors was clicking the ad.lol
Randy Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #8
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
the outcome was 50.00+ per month in fees and how did that happen ?very simple one of the competitors was clicking the ad.lol
If you had Google ads at the top of your forum, weren't you the one getting paid the $50 a month?

- Kathie
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #9
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Edwards View Post

the only way someone could click your ad to make you pay more is if they go to a different pc every click. They log the ip address so you can go click away but it will only count as one click.
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #10
Randy Edwards

Quote:
If you had Google ads at the top of your forum, weren't you the one getting paid the $50 a month?

- Kathie

no you pay per click you as the forum administrator/owner should get paid the commissions

Jimmy, I don't know about all that, all i know is it was costing me a fortune in advertising and website costs

the outcome is I said heck with it lowered my prices below the floor and let it ride if i get a sale fine if i don't fine

I notice Dick Dale's ad doesn't run anymore either or if it does I totally miss it
Old July 17th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #11
Poobah

I don't really know how much you can read into whether that one skate shop is advertising with Google any more. Let's just say there may be a bit more to that story than how the ads worked for him? Or not?
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:24 AM   #12
Randy Edwards

do what ?

there wasn't any reading into it ... I spoke to him personally face to face around the same time i took my ad down and he said the same thing I'm saying here it was costing him a fortune

you're right there might be more too it? ...but the fact is you don't choose where the ad appears it attaches to websites with the topic you choose when you create the account, so therefore like any business in this downturn economy it comes down to the bottom dollar
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Poobah

One issue with Google ads is that they tend to attach themselves to pages that have absolutely not relation to the product. Here's what's showing up on one message board for roller derby enthusiasts:

"Quality Roller Shells
Made in China; Competitive Pricing Custom Design & OEM available"

At least that one has "roller" in it!

"Masters in Diplomacy
Earn a Masters Degree in Diplomacy Online at Norwich U. Apply Today! "

Uh, OK.

"Stainless Steel & Carbon
Up to 30" diameter--165" wide Std designs or per customer specs"

See what I mean? That's zero for three.

Let's see what the derby names registry has...
"Save Money, Code Better
Entrepreneurs and Engineers Join The Code Roller Community"

Say what?

"Roller Bearings For Less
Get Needle Roller Bearings Fast. Extensive Stock/Quotes"

There's that word "roller" again.

"Derby Knee Socks
Socks with Stripes, Skulls, Stars, Mustaches, and fun colors"

"Roller Derby Skates and Clothing & 100% Derby Owned"
This one had the shop's name in the header so I've omitted that.

So basically at best, Google Ads seems to serve up appropriate advertising about half the time? That's not a very good track record, IMO.

Wild hunch, perhaps the two derby vendors on the registry chose their keywords a bit more selectively so as to not get posted on Kentucky Derby web sites (a LOT of search misses come up based upon that), sites about the English city, discussions of steam rollers, etc?

If half of your ads are hitting ice skating sites, that's probably not going to work well for you either. The interesting thing is that Google's search engine seems to be a fair bit smarter than their ad pitching engine. Perhaps that's by design. The more ads served up, the more money they make selling ads. Of course, if the ads aren't effective, advertisers won't repeat purchase.
Old July 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #14
Randy Edwards

Right it is a win win for GOOGLE ONLY
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #15
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
Right it is a win win for GOOGLE ONLY
That has not been my experience. I have paid for Google ads myself, and every time I've done it, I've seen a huge boost in page views on my Web sites. I doubt the Google AdWords and AdSense programs would be as successful as they are if the programs were a win for Google only.

But of course making more people visit my Web sites and making more people buy skates are two different things. Also, I think we are looking at this from a completely different perspective. $50 a month would be an extremely low advertising budget for me. I *wish* I could spend that little!

As far as non-skate ads appearing at the top of this forum... there are things I can do to increase the relevancy of the ads, such as adding more skate related keywords when I set up google ads for the SkateLog Forum, and excluding non relevant ads as I see them displayed in the forum. I've done quite a bit of tweaking to keep the ads in this forum relevant. Google gives advertisers and Webmasters tools to help them make ads as relevant as possible.

- Kathe
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #16
Randy Edwards

Quote:
That has not been my experience. I have paid for Google ads myself, and every time I've done it, I've seen a huge boost in page views on my Web sites. I doubt the Google AdWords and AdSense programs would be as successful as they are if the programs were a win for Google only.

But of course making more people visit my Web sites and making more people buy skates are two different things. Also, I think we are looking at this from a completely different perspective. $50 a month would be an extremely low advertising budget for me. I *wish* I could spend that little!

As far as non-skate ads appearing at the top of this forum... there are things I can do to increase the relevancy of the ads, such as adding more skate related keywords when I set up google ads for the SkateLog Forum, and excluding non relevant ads as I see them displayed in the forum. I've done quite a bit of tweaking to keep the ads in this forum relevant. Google gives advertisers and Webmasters tools to help them make ads as relevant as possible.

- Kathe
Kathie

page views doesn't necessarily put money in the bank now does it ? atleast on my webstore it didn't
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #17
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I'm sure Google ads make sense for some types of business and not for others. It's not easy to make big money selling skates because the vast majority of skaters in the world - by that I mean the millions of casual recreational skaters - buy one pair of skates their entire life.

- K
Old July 18th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #18
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Maybe one day SEDS will become an epedemic.

I have google ads on my sites and as Kathy said, you can tweak them. I find them to be relevant about 80% of the time. They differ according to what is on that particular page.

If someone on the truck site makes a reference to their golf game, I am not surprised to see a ad for a golf computer game. It makes me chuckle. Most of the time they are uselful, but I see very few clicks, in reality.

I do see alot of actual skate and skate equipment/clothing vendors popping up on the skate site, but I have yet to recognize one as a skatelogger.

As a publisher, I am not allowed to click them myself, so I have to type the URL in my address bar. That is usually too much trouble for my curiosity.

Whether they work for the advertisers, I don't know. For me, it is a puny revenue that helps keep the lights on. If my sites were my source of income, I would be standing in a soup line.
None of my sites get enough traffic to entice a direct ad sale, so google ads will have to do. At some point, I may dump them as well. Who knows.
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #19
Randy Edwards

I forgot to mention I dumped it all at the same time
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #20
Poobah

After I finished typing all of that, I refreshed that derby site and strangely enough an ad for Dick Dale's skate shop came up...