S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old February 10th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #21
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

For an unmoderated forum, I think the loggers do a pretty damned good job of not torching the place
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #22
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Burn View Post
For an unmoderated forum, I think the loggers do a pretty damned good job of not torching the place
That may have been because we didn`t know it was unmodded *DOH* . Now that the cat is outta the bag its goodnight Irene lol
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #23
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
That may have been because we didn`t know it was unmodded *DOH* . Now that the cat is outta the bag its goodnight Irene lol
Yep. The party's pretty much over. Booooooo.
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #24
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Not to worry you two. In 2010 it was the wild wild west, and there were MORE posters. Now that we are being Politically Correct, relatively speaking, there are LESS posters. Go figure.
Old February 10th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #25
Dec8rSk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
Really great post right here!
Thanks! Maybe a logger's best bet, if they put something on ebay that they think is likely to wind up in the ebay section here, is to go ahead and post a link to it theirself and say it is their auction.

If the market shows that people are paying stupid prices for certain items and someone posts their item for sale at a stupid price, it doesn't make them bad in my book for trying to get the same price as others have got. It is all subjective anyhow. The stuff is worth exactly what a seller wants to sale it for and a buyer wants to pay, which can change constantly.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #26
bolivia

Public forums almost always require you to have thick skin. Maybe that's not your style, but it's of great benefit to know when to either roll with it, ignore it, or 'in your face' it. Forums ebb and flow as far as content/attitudes and those behind it. Some months, even years, can be relatively calm but then turn on a dime for the worse for several months.

Take it for what it is....a bunch of people from all walks of life spewing the good and the bad. It's no different than things that happen with family, work, social settings, etc. If you feel things are bad now, take a break and come back later to see if the waters have calmed.
bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #27
bolivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Burn View Post
almost forgot....... +1
bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #28
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Not to worry you two. In 2010 it was the wild wild west, and there were MORE posters. Now that we are being Politically Correct, relatively speaking, there are LESS posters. Go figure.
Politically correct.... Me? Awww shucks, no way..... Lol.
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #29
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Politically correct.... Me? Awww shucks, no way..... Lol.
Is that what you attribute what you call "fewer posters on SkateLog" to...people being politically correct?
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #30
Stormi
Join the Quad Squad!

If everyone thought of forums more like real life, then everyone could have their opinions without the flaming and insults. Really, if you sat a bunch of skaters in real life in a pub and told them to discuss skates, do you think those people would speak to your face like they would on a forum? No, they wouldn't. Unless they are complete and total losers, in which case I wouldn't care to associate with you, anyway.
Yeah, you're not going to agree with everyone on a forum, or like everyone on a forum. But that doesn't mean you have to act twelve years old and start the whole "well nobody likes you anyway" conversation just coz someone disagrees with you.
I've been on various forums for about 15 years. A lot I end up leaving because it's no longer enjoyable, having to spend ages sifting through the troll talk to find the decent posts. I mean, if I want to listen to arguments, flame wars, trash talk etc, I have three kids that provide that without me using up my bandwidth lol
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #31
Poobah

I posted a link to the sale because I figured someone might be interested in buying them. They're NOS wheels, going for less than new quality wheels go. I didn't need or want them myself, but I figured someone here might.

I had no idea it was a SLFer who was selling them. I'm doubtful the other poster who commented on whether or not they were new knew that it was a logger's auction either.

It's the eBay forum. Folks post links to sales (that aren't usually their own). That's what that forum is for.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:11 AM   #32
Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
For Sale threads need to be moderated for just the sort of thing you are talking about.
Except that it wasn't a For Sale thread. It was an eBay/CraigsList thread.

Honestly I can't recall the last time anyone posted anything negative about an item in a For Sale thread. Examples?
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #33
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Hey California Kid...that's the way people are. It's a show-off session most often. People show-off the things they have been allowed to have, the information they have been allowed to have, their ability to belittle each other and they show-off their ability to make sexual impressions on each other.

I'm certainly not saying I condone any of it because I don't. But my agenda is a bit different. I'm here to learn. You're not going to find any threads of me showing off any of the 4 things I mentioned above. I learn what I can and use it to help myself and other people.

Here's something to think about...why do you think the sell of quad skate wheels has its own forum?

When I came here I learned as much as I could about skates; the selection of boots, how to properly tune plates, what the different types of bearings are and how they are constructed and are designed to be used, and I learned all I could about quad skate wheels.

I learned the most about quad skate wheels as I suspect many other people did too. I learned about the durometers of the wheels, the design of the profiles, grooves versus no grooves, matching wheel durometers with floors, wheel width uses, how to properly clean wheels, how to dye wheels, how to polish wheels, and how to match wheels with the type of skating done, the skating environment and the physical makeup of the skater.

I was part of many of those conversations in the last couple of years and helped fuel many of them. Good solid conversations where I actually learned how to do something that I could use to help myself and other people. People even made instructional videos on how to do some of that stuff. Can you imagine? Talk about what constructive conversation should lead to. So it is no wonder that quad wheels needs its own For Sale forum. Imagine if that type of constructive conversation took place for plates and boots and bearings as well. Do you think plates, boots and bearings would need their own For Sale forums too?

My old pappy used to say...in this life son, along with getting the information that you need you're gonna get a lot of information that you don't need. He was right on the money. During those conversations about quad wheels there were people doing their bit...show-offism. And there is always gonna be if there are always gonna be people who need to do that in order to feel like they are part of something.

Do your best to look beyond it and get out of the interaction what you need.
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #34
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Old February 11th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #35
!BEN_HER
VENTURA REXXXING SOCIETAS

Default Check my for sale post for kicks

You will love it....
Old February 12th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #36
Dec8rSk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Hey California Kid...that's the way people are. It's a show-off session most often. People show-off the things they have been allowed to have, the information they have been allowed to have, their ability to belittle each other and they show-off their ability to make sexual impressions on each other.

I'm certainly not saying I condone any of it because I don't. But my agenda is a bit different. I'm here to learn. You're not going to find any threads of me showing off any of the 4 things I mentioned above. I learn what I can and use it to help myself and other people.

Here's something to think about...why do you think the sell of quad skate wheels has its own forum?

When I came here I learned as much as I could about skates; the selection of boots, how to properly tune plates, what the different types of bearings are and how they are constructed and are designed to be used, and I learned all I could about quad skate wheels.

I learned the most about quad skate wheels as I suspect many other people did too. I learned about the durometers of the wheels, the design of the profiles, grooves versus no grooves, matching wheel durometers with floors, wheel width uses, how to properly clean wheels, how to dye wheels, how to polish wheels, and how to match wheels with the type of skating done, the skating environment and the physical makeup of the skater.

I was part of many of those conversations in the last couple of years and helped fuel many of them. Good solid conversations where I actually learned how to do something that I could use to help myself and other people. People even made instructional videos on how to do some of that stuff. Can you imagine? Talk about what constructive conversation should lead to. So it is no wonder that quad wheels needs its own For Sale forum. Imagine if that type of constructive conversation took place for plates and boots and bearings as well. Do you think plates, boots and bearings would need their own For Sale forums too?

My old pappy used to say...in this life son, along with getting the information that you need you're gonna get a lot of information that you don't need. He was right on the money. During those conversations about quad wheels there were people doing their bit...show-offism. And there is always gonna be if there are always gonna be people who need to do that in order to feel like they are part of something.

Do your best to look beyond it and get out of the interaction what you need.
When I last posted pictures of our skates, I looked at that not as showing off but as sharing our collection where it would best be understood and appreciated. Most of my friends on facebook aren't going to understand or appreciate nice roller skates, unless they are skatelog friends.

As far as being let to have - most of us buy our skates with our hard earned money and our gear is painstakingly collected, especially vintage stuff. I don't see anything really wrong with that, unless you want to pull the tiresome argument out about starving kids in Africa.

Skating is a sport, and you need equipment for any sport. One of the first things I heard when I came here was - adults shouldn't skate on toys. Once you get past your basic human needs, you have to spend your money on something; and whether skating is a family activity where you are spending time with your kids, or you are trying to stay in shape and enjoy socializing - it's all good.

I think most of us come here to learn things, also to trade and BS. Also, the majority of us don't come here to pose suggestively for each other (thank God!), or even condone that sort of behavior. I agree that you should take what interaction you need from here and leave the rest.
Old February 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #37
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

--

Last edited by Holiday Guy; February 12th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Holiday Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #38
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
When I last posted pictures of our skates, I looked at that not as showing off but as sharing our collection where it would best be understood and appreciated. Most of my friends on facebook aren't going to understand or appreciate nice roller skates, unless they are skatelog friends.

As far as being let to have - most of us buy our skates with our hard earned money and our gear is painstakingly collected, especially vintage stuff. I don't see anything really wrong with that, unless you want to pull the tiresome argument out about starving kids in Africa.

Skating is a sport, and you need equipment for any sport. One of the first things I heard when I came here was - adults shouldn't skate on toys. Once you get past your basic human needs, you have to spend your money on something; and whether skating is a family activity where you are spending time with your kids, or you are trying to stay in shape and enjoy socializing - it's all good.

I think most of us come here to learn things, also to trade and BS. Also, the majority of us don't come here to pose suggestively for each other (thank God!), or even condone that sort of behavior. I agree that you should take what interaction you need from here and leave the rest.
Thank you for sharing.
Old February 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #39
Dec8rSk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Thank you for sharing.
Your welcome.
Old February 12th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #40
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

The BS and name calling did turn into this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1uj...ature=youtu.be