S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old July 27th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #21
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Interesting. How did the replaceable tire wheels from the 1980's work? The one with the big C-clip that held the tire onto the rim? I think Fanjets were made this way
I have not owned these designs, but my understanding is that that at least some have a tapered urethane ID and a fit that maintains tightness based on certain amount of wedging & stretching of the urethane layer around the hub.

All versions I believe are dimensionally to some extent an interference fit that puts the urethane on the wheel at a sufficient tension level to squeeze against the hub with enough contact pressure so that it maintains tight enough grip to prevent the urethane from creeping around much on the hub as the wheel rolls . Some of these hubs also have lateral gripping grooves on hub OD too, I believe.

Perhaps someone with more hands on experience can enlighten us. It could be interesting to try and come up with a reliable way to get a high performance & big OD urethane donut portion transferred from a smaller hub wheel over onto a larger hub.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; August 1st, 2013 at 04:41 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:01 PM   #22
JorisKB

Hi,
Doing some outdoor speed on quads myself, I've been working on a lightweight setup, I didn't get as involved as Armadillo, and I used stock frames.
The lighter I had were STD carbon frame, around 410g.
I got some Adidas F50 adizero, trimmed the cleats and sole, at the end, they were around 165g (size 44 2/3 EU, 10.5 US).
But the biggest point are wheels. With light wheels, such as Roll Line Helium, the total was close to the kilogram, I ran a marathon on them, but it was not fast enough, wheels were too small, so i went back to classic K krypto 76mm.

76mm are definitely the good choice for road, but krypto classic K are heavy, and most of this size wheels are longboard wheels, heavy, large, and will not fit on small quad trucks.

Triming the hawgs is a very nice idea.
I've started triming some longboard wheels into a shape close to the shark wheels you probably heard of. It came out to 160g with bearings, but they are full urethan, with a minimal hub, so i think we can go lighter.

Anyway, light soccer shoes are available and damn light. Light frames are more tricky, but you can achieve good weight with customs and even with stock frames around 350g (boen, faster, lazer, magnesium plates...). But wheels that will be big enough for road and light enough for speed, I can't find any.

JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:47 PM   #23
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisKB View Post
Hi,

Triming the hawgs is a very nice idea.
I've started triming some longboard wheels into a shape close to the shark wheels you probably heard of. It came out to 160g with bearings, but they are full urethan, with a minimal hub, so i think we can go lighter.

Anyway, light soccer shoes are available and damn light. Light frames are more tricky, but you can achieve good weight with customs and even with stock frames around 350g (boen, faster, lazer, magnesium plates...). But wheels that will be big enough for road and light enough for speed, I can't find any.

Hi JorisKB,

Yeah, the Adidas F50 soccer shoe can help to make a very light quad build. I did an F50 build nearly two years ago. Was not so fond of the amount of toe curl up on the sole though.

As far as the bigger 76mm wheels for outdoor speed go, I am super happy with the performance of my narrowed Zombie Hawgs, despite their weight. I am converting the Nova plates with Panther trucks that are on my avatar PIC skates to have Ti kingpins, Ti axles and Ti pivot pins to help alleviate some of the excess weight of the Hawgs.

Your Sharks wheel design copy using longboard wheels looks quite interesting. What is the benefit of having the wavy edges again? I forgot. Have you tried the real Snakes and found they have an advantage with the shape concept?

Oh, I searched them again & I see you still need the spiral zig-zag groove (CORRECTION- wavy ring stack) to finish the concept. I am skeptical that these shark wheels can handle the lateral push of quad speed skating without getting shredded down rapidly to the point where their wavy rings' contact patches will have a cumulative 28-32mm worth of width in contact with rolling surface, and at that point they will be rolling the same speed as a a normal narrow & big OD outdoor speed wheel does.

-Armadillo
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:16 PM   #24
JorisKB

Basically, the idea behind the shape is that you keep a virtual path of 35 mm wide, but your actual contact surface will be only 20mm, so there is less resistance. And of course you save some weight by triming the wheel.

I ordered sharks, but I wanted to test the concept, that's why i got cheap second hand wheels I knew I could sacrifice if needed. So this is a test, if it goes OK, it will validate the use of such wheels for speed. If, as you suspect, it goes back to a classic shape after a few km, then i won't use the real sharks for speed and go back to a search for optimized wheels with big hub and classic design.

I like adizero. The plates i'm using have a little curl on the front (STD synergic), and i added a bit of plastic too, so it fits quite well in the end.

Last edited by JorisKB; September 2nd, 2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: adding picture
JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:34 AM   #25
Quadtastic
Quads live!!!

They look good, looks like you got some pretty cool gear. You should put a photo of all your skates in the post a pic of all your quad skates post.
Quadtastic is offline   Reply With Quote