S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old June 4th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Prawnyloks

Default Back stop for Sure Grip Rock GT-50s

As I've probably mentioned in previous posts I've recently moved back to quads after a reintroduction to skating, but on inlines.

I absolutely love my quads so much more than the inlines, but only one thing is missing... a rear break!

Toe stops are really a waste of time from me unless I'm going ultra slow, in which case I don't really need them. I found the rear stop quite useful for slowing down on hills when I had my inlines, so fancy adding one to my quads. Don't really want to start messing around with my setup by turning plates around at this point.

My main problem seems to be the fact that I have Sure Grip Rock GT-50s. Many of the back stops I have seen are like these ones...

and are apparently not such a good fit on Sure Grips.

eventually I one of these found these...

available here http://www.kateskates.co.uk/buy/sure...r-brake_94.htm
It is actually a Sure Grip product so you would assume it would fit my skates, but I can't seem to get anyone to confirm this.

Anyone any experience of this product with my skates or similar?
Prawnyloks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #2
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default Flip the plate around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnyloks View Post
As I've probably mentioned in previous posts I've recently moved back to quads after a reintroduction to skating, but on inlines.

I absolutely love my quads so much more than the inlines, but only one thing is missing... a rear break!

Toe stops are really a waste of time from me unless I'm going ultra slow, in which case I don't really need them. I found the rear stop quite useful for slowing down on hills when I had my inlines, so fancy adding one to my quads. Don't really want to start messing around with my setup by turning plates around at this point.

My main problem seems to be the fact that I have Sure Grip Rock GT-50s. Many of the back stops I have seen are like these ones...

and are apparently not such a good fit on Sure Grips.

eventually I one of these found these...

available here http://www.kateskates.co.uk/buy/sure...r-brake_94.htm
It is actually a Sure Grip product so you would assume it would fit my skates, but I can't seem to get anyone to confirm this.

Anyone any experience of this product with my skates or similar?
If you know you don't need/want a front stop, just remount the plate with the toe stop going in other direction. You may need to drill new holes, but I think that is preferable to adding a heavy, clunky, rear toe stop that was not designed to be there in the first place.
pjmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #3
Prawnyloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnyloks View Post
Don't really want to start messing around with my setup by turning plates around at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmariner View Post
If you know you don't need/want a front stop, just remount the plate with the toe stop going in other direction. You may need to drill new holes, but I think that is preferable to adding a heavy, clunky, rear toe stop that was not designed to be there in the first place.
Still don't really fancy doing that yet
Old June 5th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Fancy-Kerrigan

or just learn to plow stop down a hill like a quad skater. No extra equipment needed.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Armadillo

The clamp-on rear brake concept can work fairly well or be a total fail. It all depends on the design of your truck, plate, clamp shape, and the swing motion of the action.

They should not be used on plastic trucks, and even on metal trucks the shape of the truck inside the clamp & bolts dictates how firmly the stop will stay in the desired position.

Too much tightening can distort the pivot pin.

The non-adjustable position of the stop also makes these designs difficult, since the clamp scheme does not allow much if any stop-to-ground height adjustment. Since the material wears away fast outdoors, especially if you roll downhill very much, it is very important to bring the stop lower as it wears.

If you put any washers between the body and the stop to lower it, the stop can then more easily just spin off, from the loss of grip teeth contact, which nearly always happens in the middle of needing the braking to work for you on a hill.

So, bottom line, a reversed plate may seem too difficult, but after you fiddle around with these clamp-on brakes and struggle to get them working decently and continuing to work, it can end up becoming a bigger PIA than just doing the reversed mount in the first place.

-Armadillo
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #6
Prawnyloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
or just learn to plow stop down a hill like a quad skater. No extra equipment needed.
Yep, I am learning that. Just struggling a little if I gain too much speed, so need a back-up. If I have space my lunge stop is pretty good too. Fortunately I don't hit hills often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
So, bottom line, a reversed plate may seem too difficult, but after you fiddle around with these clamp-on brakes and struggle to get them working decently and continuing to work, it can end up becoming a bigger PIA than just doing the reversed mount in the first place.

-Armadillo
I think that eventually I'll maybe give it a go, but for the time being I'm a bit thoathed to start drilling holes in my still new skates
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #7
Daveho

if its for slowing down going down hills then why not just turn around and use the toe stops?
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #8
Prawnyloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveho View Post
if its for slowing down going down hills then why not just turn around and use the toe stops?
Mmm... if I could do that I wouldn't even be thinking about a back stop. I'm afraid I haven't mastered any drastic changes in direction yet
Old June 18th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #9
Daveho

ok well that being the case then spend your time on flat ground working on your transitions, plenty of skaters dont even bother with toe stops and just use there wheels to stop
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Prawnyloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveho View Post
ok well that being the case then spend your time on flat ground working on your transitions, plenty of skaters dont even bother with toe stops and just use there wheels to stop
That seems to be the plan for now. I'm using the plow more to slow down and working on the rest when I can.
Old July 8th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #11
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default California Skate Brake

Fits Sure Grip plates - they make it. Should fit the ROCK plates.

Old July 19th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #12
Prawnyloks

Default Sure-Grip rear brake

Ended up getting the Sure-Grip rear brake.

Only used been out a couple of times since fitting it, but it seems to do a pretty good job. My plough stop slows me down a fair bit and this just helps finish off the job.