S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old August 20th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #101
Dontburnout

Default Long time listener, first time caller...

Hello and good day to all,

My name is Geoff and I am relatively new to Skatelog forum. I typically skate by myself and am looking to start competing or at least participating in some organized events. I am in my early 30's and have been skating since I was 6 years old. I skated recreationally as a child, tearing up the streets for hours a day, played regular pick-up games of rollerhockey, and hooked a ride to rink or skate park whenever possible. As a teenager and into my early twenties I enjoyed hucking myself off any launch-able surface and down stair cases/rails. In my early twenties I chilled out a bit and starting working on my speed skating form and endurance. I have been riding out an abused pair of Powerslide C3boots / Mogema DualBox Crosstrainers / bones swiss ceramics / and Hyperformance+Grips for way too long now and am finally replacing them with a new setup (BontZ/CadoMotus DualBox5 4x110/ and undecided on first set of wheels yet). Its hot and flat down here outside Houston; so I can skate outdoors year around, depending on how much self inflicted punishment I want to endure. I will probably move up to the hill country (Austin area) when I graduate from UH where I recently returned to complete a Communications BA. I have an Mathematics AA and several engineering design graphics certifications, but I like to learn and wanted a Bachelors so I am reliving the college experience now. I love and I mean truly love all things skating, so I thought I would mix minds with others who feel the same. Thanks for having me, I will try not to offend and will contribute when I see fit.

You can reach me via PM anytime & can find me on twitter as WebLearners Resource @ https://twitter.com/watchitsworthit or on Blogger @ poopshe.blogspot.com -- check them out if you like music or like to stay abreast with current news events from around world.

Best Regards,
Dontburnout

Last edited by Dontburnout; August 20th, 2014 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Omission of pertinant info
Dontburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #102
spdkls

Default Didn't realize I haven't done this yet.

Hey all,

Names Jessie. Lot of people probably know me from way back. Returned to indoor after a looooong hiatus(Job, location, injuries). In Florida, skating for EC. Got my daughter skating as well.

Started skating back in the late 70's, in AL and skated off/on till the '93 when I joined the AF. Since then I've been on teams in Virginia, England, skated while I was in Korea, and now here in Florida.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #103
colbym2

Default New to AZ

Hey all,

My name is Colby I moved down to Phoenix AZ from Washington state about 8 months ago. My athletic background is mostly in ski racing and knowing I was going to be in AZ going to school I realized I was not going to be able to feed my skiing and speed appetite so I started speed skating back in Washington 6 months or so before leaving to fill the void not being able to ski much would leave.

Prior to becoming interested in speed skating I had no clue how to skate having only gone to a few birthdays before. So I had to learn how to skate from square one. Thankfully the team I started practicing with had a separate none-competitive team for beginners. I knew low cut inline boots and large wheels were going to take time to master and there would be pain involved so I immediately bought a Luigino Strut boot and a p-51 featherweight frame. It was a 4x110 setup but I put 100s on it to start off with. I'm glad I didn't build up more slowly since I was ready to join the competitive team in a month and I don't really see the reason for dragging out the process of ankle strengthening by getting small wheels to start and then stepping through all the sizes. There will be an adjustment each time, why not make it one adjustment not several?

I primarily skate indoors I like outdoor skating but I haven't put enough time into to get use to the rough surfaces. After skating outdoors the smooth indoor floors feel sooooo good plus I really like turning as I did on skis being much better at slalom and giant slalom than super giant slalom or downhill. I will probably be spending a lot more time outside however since the corporately owned rinks here are evil and make it very hard for speed and derby teams to practice at their facilities. The only indoor team here is trying to negotiate with them to get the team started back up but we are in a very precarious place having only 4 rinks in Phoenix covering 6 million people and 3 out of the 4 owned by the same evil corporation.

Hope to meet more skaters here,
Colby
colbym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #104
karpmaster

Hi,
Eyal from Israel.
I have been skating for quite a long time.
In the last years I am mainly into speedskating.
I keep practicing on my skating at least 3 times a week with our speedskating club team mates( other days are for road cycling and TRX ).
next month I will start my speedskating coach training and hope it will help building up the next generation of Israeli speed skaters.
for now I am coaching my 6 years old kid on some of our speedskating club practice.
karpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #105
reely?

Default Hello

Hello All,

My name is Darryl, I'm from Spring, TX. I enjoy being part of the Champions inline speed club and skating outdoor as often as I can. I've skated for many yrs, starting in the 70s on quads in south FL and have competed and coached speed on inlines since the early 90s.

I am a very loyal Simmons fan, Many yrs no problems. By looking at my feet you would never know I skate. No bumps, bruises or blisters. frames 4x110 or 3x125. Wheels Matter/Atoms/WRW/MPC, all good, I believe it's the motor that makes them go fast? Bearings, cheap stuff that rolls well special.

I have been blessed with my wife Laura of 21yrs and have 3 kiddos and most of my $$ in college at UT in Austin, "Hook'em Horns"!

Oh... I love to fish as well.

I look forward to the discussions on Skatelog.

Best regards,

Reely?
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #106
FRGL1

Im a slalom/street commuter, so i do practice speed and marathon a bit.

This place looks busy.
FRGL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #107
SkatingJoe

Thanks for accepting the registration! I'm Joe, and I skate on ice and the road. On ice I'm not very good, but the road skills are getting better. I suspect my skills on ice will also improve with many miles of skating. For some reason, skating on the road is more forgiving than ice is.
Hope to learn a lot on this forum!
SkatingJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:13 PM   #108
Coach Sooty
Sk8skool ONline Coach

Smile Coach Sooty

I'm Coach Sooty. I'm a professional speedskating coach, from England. I've been skating 34 years. Competed at Worlds 7 times, and won the World Masters Championship Marathon in 2011.

Back in the day I used to do some ramp skating, played on several skater hockey teams, and generally lived life on wheels.

In Sk8skool we currently have 22 members that I coach, from LA to India. (including France, Spain, England, Denmark, LA, Ohio, Toronto, and more... )

This looks like an interesting forum, so I though i'd join and see what people are saying

You can read more about Sk8skool ONline here: www.Sk8skoolONline.com
Coach Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:51 AM   #109
Big Steve

Hello, everyone! Big Steve here. Rec/fitness/[pitiful excuse for a] speed skater in Seattle, WA, USA, and am I happy to find you.

I rowed in college at Washington, then spent my 20's on the U.S. Nat'l rowing team before retiring and going back to school, then job/mortgage/wife/kid. (Aside: In the late '90s, I rowed with the Pocket Rocket, Kristine Holzer, who switched to speed skating in '99 and competed in the 3k at Salt Lake in '06. If you know her, tell her I said hi.) Now I'm 41 and always fighting to stay reasonably fit, with varying degrees of success. The "Big" in "Big Steve" is because I'm typical size for a rower, not a speedskater: 6'6", 230lb.

I got my first taste of in-line dabbling on rollerblades in the early '90s. Whenever I hurt myself rowing I would hit the trail for exercise. I tore my hamstring tendon playing Ultimate a few years back, and the PT made me put a rubber band around my ankles and step side to side. Just like skating, but not as much fun, so I did that instead. Before I knew it, I was hooked. The physiology is exactly like rowing, but it takes less time to get a workout and the crashes are much more dramatic.

Read everything I could (RIP Inline Planet--I hardly knew ye, Bill Begg!) to try to teach myself something like technique, then eventually bought some Rollerblade Tempest 110s. Wore out the wheels with pretty impressive toe flick before learning to get lower and push off all four wheels--a rule I still honor more in the breach. Upgraded to Bont G4s/87A, with an 85A Atom One at the low spot (to hide my technical defects), and some Swiss ceramics (1/2 off at Inline Warehouse!). Now I'm realizing that my boots are too big, and I'm just dumb enough to think that I might want some actual speed boots. No good can come of this.

I'm on an island here. My wife tells me that I'm not interested in competing--even if I were, no stopwatch can show how fast I feeeeeeel--and I want nothing to do with indoor racing, where certain doom awaits my hairy legs. I skate as low as I can and as fast as I can for as long as I can, which is neither particularly low, nor fast, nor long. But I need some advice on equipment and technique, and the only skate shops in town cater to our badass Roller Derby league/team, the Rat City Rollergirls. Though I respect those who do, I have no interest in riding quads. I want to see how fasts I can go.

Thanks for letting me in, and I'm looking forward to the conversations.

Big Steve
Big Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #110
matguy

Welcome aboard, Big Steve. It's good to see some more NW representation, here,
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #111
tom91381
them my leggs

Hello , I'm Tom and I'm not really that new here but I never really post yet just read the post .
I'm a old school speed skater that skated in the 80's with quads. I never got the chance to race indoors on inlines. By the time the inline racing started I had stopped skating indoors completely. Mostly from getting shin splints.
I'm a skater from California and we at one time had outdoor races anywhere from 1-3 races a month . The last race on roller skates was a 50/100k tour de Malibu , I did the 50k and was fortunate to win that. But that day I saw the inline skates roll away from the pack that was pushing as they were coasting down PCH. I knew that rollerskates didn't have a chance at winning races after that. So like everyone else a gave them a try. Back then all it was plastic boots (zanstra) . Took a while to get use to them and ended up only skating a few more years on them. Becoming a single Dad and only able to see your child on weekends stopped any ambition of being competitive .
Flash forward to 2014 and starting new again coming from 4-90's to the 4 -110's. I was turning 50 in a few months and with bad shoulders I couldn't ride my bike anymore. So my new challenge was to do a marathon. After 4 months of training I found the Napa Marathon. Finished it in 1:30 and felt pretty good but still a little clumsy.
I started going to Sky Park in Irvine a little more frequent to skate with the pack that is there on the weekends. Along with the technique skates near my home and that i was starting to get into shape. Although I was never able to hang for more the 12 miles with the group that did 20 miles in there 1 hour of traning . I felt I was getting better.

Along comes the Vegas race and I did horrible in the wind and the smallest of hills. But from there I bought the new 125's. I started reading more and more articles from here and really worked on technique not speed and within a month I was able to hang with those fast skaters from Sky Park Finally. I learned that if I sat in like many of the others I would have plenty of energy left to sprint. My sprints were real long hard pushes and it worked good for me.
As I'm writing this I am recovering from a fall that broke a bone in my ankle a badly sprained my ankle too. I'm itching to get back out there and give my new EO Carbon 125 frames a run, but I know it's gonna be a while before they get any use. 3-4 week of PT and then easing back on the skates.
Look forward to reading others that are trying the EO 125 frames think of them, hope they like them and saving strength with having them on .
Dam I wrote way to much, thanks for reading if you did. Tom
tom91381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #112
PJB

Default So CaL Oldish Speedster

I'm Peter and used to race indoor with my daughter Maryann in the SoCal league. We moved to Santa Barbara where I was webmaster of the site Speedskating Santa Barbara where we skated outdoors mainly. When I retired we moved to Moorpark CA near Simi Valley and Camarillo.

When I retired my endurance evaporated through years of couch potatoing. Now I am relearning to skate outdoors at Arroyo Vista Park, Moorpark.
PJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 04:36 AM   #113
shafeeqs

Hi, I'm Shafeeq, and I've been racing outdoors for about the last decade, mainly the long events like A2A and the 100k. I'm terrible indoors, but without it I'd be too out of shape in the spring. Rediscovered this forum recently after having read it quite a bit during my early days on skates.
shafeeqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:42 PM   #114
EddieTwo

Default Hi all

My name is Edward, I live in Jersey City. I skate both on ice and on the road. The forum looks super great. I'm trying to get a pair of performance inline skates, but there seams to be no good inline shops on East Coast.
EddieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:35 AM   #115
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTwo View Post
My name is Edward, I live in Jersey City. I skate both on ice and on the road. The forum looks super great. I'm trying to get a pair of performance inline skates, but there seams to be no good inline shops on East Coast.
Define "East Coast". There are a few rinks with decent coaches and teams that could get you hooked up or at least pointed in the right direction. A lot of us end up ordering a lot of our stuff online, anyway. Previous to my recent custom boots I don't think I've bought much from a brick and mortar shop (rink or stand-alone) since the 90's.
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:01 AM   #116
ajasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTwo View Post
Have you tried backstreet?
BACK STREET INLINE, 218 West Elizabeth Ave. Linden, NJ 07036
https://www.facebook.com/backstreetskates
908-862-9071
Old October 25th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #117
matguy

Wow, how did I skip right over the New Jersey part?...
Old November 13th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #118
Anton

Hello all,

I'm Anton, from Israel, and been a skating enthusiast for probably 7-8 years now - no competitive aspiration, just fun and exercise. A little off to the side from the established skating community, hence very happy with the wealth of information here.

Cheers,
Anton
Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 02:02 AM   #119
SpeedyRinkRat

Hi! My name is Paul, and I'm 20 years of age from southern Indianapolis, Indiana! I haven't been on speed skates at all, but I really love the sport/activity.
I currently roll on a pair of Tour FB-425 hockey blades(80mm), but I plan on picking up some Luigino Strut 4X100 skates soon. I'm rather fast on the hockey blades, but I feel like I could go so much faster.
I DJ at my local skate club, so I get around 20-30 hours a week on my blades, and only have skated around 3 months in my life, I have gained a lot of skill, talent, and speed. My ambition is to be able to join competitive speed skating groups in sprints and mid ranged events.
As a part of my job, I also help maintain and repair a large amount of skates, both quads and inlines. I have quite a lot of knowledge, but not quite experience yet.
I hope to be able to contribute my knowledge to this forum, and to increase my own knowledge as well!
Keep it cool- Paul H.
SpeedyRinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:18 AM   #120
Ryan Dean

Default New to forum

Hi,

I'm new around here and wanted to say hello. I'm in my mid 40's and happily married with two rescue dogs that I skate with daily.

I have been skating all my life and skated all through the 80's for several speed teams in the North Carolina area.

I also travel the world as a professional sound mixer and skate on days off in order to stay fit.

I found this site trying to find a replacement pair of Chester Man boots but ended up with an entirely new pair of Rogua skates.

Cheers!

Ryan

Last edited by Ryan Dean; December 31st, 2015 at 02:20 PM.
Ryan Dean is offline   Reply With Quote